inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Just checking, is AmIright down?

Written By: K1chyd on 05/29/05 at 11:39 am

I haven't been able to access it for the last three hours (and there was problems earlier on today too).

Subject: Re: Just checking, is AmIright down?

Written By: EthanM on 05/29/05 at 11:54 am

I can't get in either so yeah it's probably down

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/29/05 at 1:15 pm

I've been trying to get on since about 12:30, with no luck  :(

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/29/05 at 4:15 pm

Was down at 7:00 am EST and is still down at the time of this post ~5:15pm.

I've been trying since midday, and it's still down 10 hours later  :(
What's going on?

Written By: lazy Ethan on 05/29/05 at 4:26 pm

It probably went down after chucky left for the day. It is memorial day weekend... he's probably doing something

Written By: nally on 05/29/05 at 8:35 pm

Yeah it was down earlier. It's back up now. I don't know what the deal was; maybe Chucky does. :-\\

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/30/05 at 9:46 am

time for the once a month crash... I spotted it early in the day, but couldn't even reach the hosting provider so I assumed it was on their end.  Later on I could get through and rebooted it.

I'm going to move all the sites to another hosting company this month I think.  The server is getting old, and they don't provide upgrades for it, so it's possible it might get ruined on me if I don't.  It's pretty time consuming to move sites that are as big as mine, so I don't look forward to it at all.

Written By: philbo on 05/30/05 at 12:00 pm

How many gigabytes is it up to now, Chucky?

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/30/05 at 12:05 pm

What was the deal with the clown who posted about 100 comments advertising a loan website? What was all that about?

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/30/05 at 12:21 pm

What was the deal with the clown who posted about 100 comments advertising a loan website? What was all that about?

same clown that spammed poker crap last week.  they're very persistant.

I removed them all, and added the site to the kill filter.  Unfortunately, preventing this kind of abuse isn't always easy.  I could set up a challenge system, where people have to ID a bunch of numbers and letters in an image in order to post their message, that would slow it down but be annoying.

I'm thinking the next step is to filter out links in messages, and look for duplicates between posts.  If I see the same link posted on more than a couple of parodies, prevent it from being posted further. It would at least slow them down until I get online and check them.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/30/05 at 12:24 pm

same clown that spammed poker crap last week.  they're very persistant.

I removed them all, and added the site to the kill filter.  Unfortunately, preventing this kind of abuse isn't always easy.  I could set up a challenge system, where people have to ID a bunch of numbers and letters in an image in order to post their message, that would slow it down but be annoying.

I'm thinking the next step is to filter out links in messages, and look for duplicates between posts.  If I see the same link posted on more than a couple of parodies, prevent it from being posted further. It would at least slow them down until I get online and check them.

That's good news, coz he managed to post like 30+ messages or something. He didn't have anything to do with the site going down, did he? It's just the two incidents appear to have happened at roughly the same time (yesterday)

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/30/05 at 3:25 pm

That's good news, coz he managed to post like 30+ messages or something. He didn't have anything to do with the site going down, did he? It's just the two incidents appear to have happened at roughly the same time (yesterday)

no... he seems to do it Monday morning/Sunday evening every week now.

Written By: nally on 08/27/15 at 2:17 pm

I know this is an old thread... but I just happen to notice that I cannot access the Amiright site for some unknown reason. It gives me a general "404 Not Found" browser message.

Is anyone else having trouble accessing the site too?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/27/15 at 2:19 pm

I know this is an old thread... but I just happen to notice that I cannot access the Amiright site for some unknown reason. It gives me a general "404 Not Found" browser message.

Is anyone else having trouble accessing the site too?
Just checked on the other side of 'the pond', it is down here too.

Written By: philbo on 08/27/15 at 4:00 pm

But hey.. that's a whole ten years between outages.  Not bad :)

Written By: Matthias on 08/28/15 at 7:21 am

I guess Chucky getting the new provider didn't help much or maybe it did since it has been a decade.

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/28/15 at 7:53 am

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=32837.msg3289232#new

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/29/15 at 6:18 pm

I didn't see this thread.. but it wasn't my provider, it was me.  I moved the site to a standalone IP address and forgot it would take a couple days for the change to be visible for people.  Not the brightest idea I've ever had.

On the plus side, a couple people did get in touch recently about reviewing some of the old sections, so maybe I'll get that set up again this weekend.

Check for new replies or respond here...