inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Would an American, English, Aussie etc know...

Written By: K1chyd on 06/07/05 at 1:23 pm

... the word blamage?

By the sound of it I guess it's one of those worlds we Swedes have actually imported from the French a long time ago in a galaxy far, far, far... or something like that.

I've checked three english dictionaries now that don't list it. Almost positive I've heard it on popular television though (and I don't have any French channels and I don't count our own series' as popular culture).  ;D

Subject: Re: Would an American, English, Aussie etc know...

Written By: Johnny_D on 06/07/05 at 1:41 pm

... the word blamage?

By the sound of it I guess it's one of those worlds we Swedes have actually imported from the French a long time ago in a galaxy far, far, far... or something like that.

I've checked three english dictionaries now that don't list it. Almost positive I've heard it on popular television though (and I don't have any French channels and I don't count our own series' as popular culture).  ;D

Everyone in England is being turned into Scotsmen by...THE BLANCMANGE...and THEY MEAN TO WIN WIMBLEDON.

http://www.geocities.com/fang_club/scotsmen_blancmange.html

Written By: K1chyd on 06/07/05 at 2:09 pm

Holy Grail!

A Monty Python link I suppose (though the site's down, possibly from all the trafic you just directed there).

On a more explaining note. Over here "blamage" means "social mishap / public mishap". Maybe I should have added that in post numero uno.

Written By: jreuben on 06/07/05 at 2:17 pm

Holy Grail!

A Monty Python link I suppose (though the site's down, possibly from all the trafic you just directed there).

On a more explaining note. Over here "blamage" means "social mishap / public mishap". Maybe I should have added that in post numero uno.

Never heard the word, but assumed it meant "something for which to take the blame" which was pretty close.

Or, what happened to someone when Batman punched them in the old Batman series.  BLAM!  The result was blamage, all over the place.

Written By: K1chyd on 06/07/05 at 3:04 pm

Never heard the word, but assumed it meant "something for which to take the blame" which was pretty close.

Or, what happened to someone when Batman punched them in the old Batman series.  BLAM!  The result was blamage, all over the place.

Well, had it been a real onomatopoetic neologism I would have entered it to my parody list with...

"A few of my favorite onomatopoetic neologisms":

SWICH by and OINK-OINK and MEOW and WAM BAM
SIZZLE and MURMUR and BLAM - OUCH! from Batman
WHISPER and ROARING and COUGHING and WOW!
These are the words I've come up with for now

//  Peter  :D

Written By: Johnny_D on 06/07/05 at 3:14 pm

Well, had it been a real onomatopoetic neologism I would have entered it to my parody list with...

//  Peter  :D

Latitude's higher for Pete than most others
Attitude's why our boy Pete's like our brother
Platitudes never is Pete caught typing
HEE-HAWs for you are his favorite things

Johnny D    ;D

Written By: K1chyd on 06/07/05 at 11:33 pm

Rethinking this a bit I realise that some of these onomatopoetic words are propably the exact opposite of neologisms, some such might even be the oldest words around in spoken language!

But since there is (to my knowledge) no antonym to neologism I guess I'll have to coin one:

Geriatricism? :P

Written By: karen on 06/08/05 at 3:57 am

blamage.  Not a word I've heard of before and it doesn't appear in my Collins dictionary.

Is it pronounced blame-age or blam-age?

Written By: K1chyd on 06/08/05 at 10:28 am

blamage.  Not a word I've heard of before and it doesn't appear in my Collins dictionary.

Is it pronounced blame-age or blam-age?

Neither, there's stress on both syllables, maybe a little more on the latter, but the former most often pronounced as to rhyme with "flaw" and then you finish the whole thing of as to rhyme with "garage":

Blaah-maasch

Written By: PRobinson on 06/08/05 at 10:43 am

Neither, there's stress on both syllables, maybe a little more on the latter, but the former most often pronounced as to rhyme with "flaw" and then you finish the whole thing of as to rhyme with "garage":

Blaah-maasch

How about "blaahh-mahhje"...the "maahhje" part would be a softer ending than "maasch" with the end part held longer...and maybe...hmm...spoken by a stereotyprical French guy with a snotty-little "better than you" sneer/smirk undercurrent running through that particular word?

Paul Robinson

ps - I have nothing against the French people and am just kidding here...saying "stereotypical" makes this guy a caricature - not representing reality, just an unenlightened generalization of a population that is actually quite diverse...hey, remember "Charles Boyer"??  I really liked him in those old movies...

Written By: karen on 06/09/05 at 8:30 am

Blaah-maasch

Unless your from the Midlands.  Then it sounds like garidge

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 06/09/05 at 10:24 am

Unless your from the Midlands.  Then it sounds like garidge

Karen, do yow loik to have a kipper tie in yow garidge?  :D

Written By: karen on 06/09/05 at 10:54 am

Karen, do yow loik to have a kipper tie in yow garidge?  :D

I'm from the East Midlands so I don't talk like Noddy Holder!!

Written By: tmayfield on 06/10/05 at 11:35 am

... the word blamage?

According to http://www.answers.com/topic/disgrace it is a German and Swedish word meaning disgrace.  I have never heard of it before.

Written By: Ripp on 06/18/05 at 12:52 pm

I'm from the west midlands!!!!! I don't say "garidge"! That's Jasper Carrot, that is! :D

Written By: FaultyDog on 06/18/05 at 3:57 pm

... the word blamage?

Well, I'm not American, I'm not English and I'm not Australian - that would imply I'm not to answer this question.
Nevertheless I will, because we (the Dutch) DO know and use the word blamage. Not on a daily basis however and usually in connection with sporting events, where it is considered a "blamage" to be defeated by any low ranked opponent. This is especially the case when our nation's pride (i.e. the Dutch national soccer team) fails to defeat, say, Andorra or Luxembourg.

Check for new replies or respond here...