inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: YAY SPAFF.COM/ROBERT LUND!!

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/13/05 at 7:48 am

Give a cheer for Spaff.com, who with the vocal talents of Robert Lund, was featured on this week's Dr. Demento show with the new hit, "I Got Crabs From Darth Vader"--readable at amiright.com and hearable at spaff.com.

Yay! 8)

Subject: Re: YAY SPAFF.COM/ROBERT LUND!!

Written By: jreuben on 06/13/05 at 8:21 am

Give a cheer for Spaff.com, who with the vocal talents of Robert Lund, was featured on this week's Dr. Demento show with the new hit, "I Got Crabs From Darth Vader"--readable at amiright.com and hearable at spaff.com.

Yay! 8)

Congratulations!  That's awesome!

Written By: EthanM on 06/13/05 at 8:23 am

congrats. What actually surprises me is that this is an uncommon event, but maybe this'll be the start of a trend of demented Spaffter.

Written By: bobbypags on 06/13/05 at 10:37 am

Gentlemen:
Congratulations
bob

Written By: Spaff.com on 06/13/05 at 11:38 am

I'm supposed to be working right now but I popped by and saw this. Thanx, Aggro, for letting me know!

I don't send all of Robert Lund's recordings to Dr. Demento, but "I Got Crabs from Darth Vader" may be the best thing we've done, so I sent the Doc both the MP3 and a CD burn a few weeks ago. I never heard a word back, so I figured nothing was gonna happen. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised to see this.

Those of you who've been around here for a while have heard me say that one of my childhood goals was to get a song into Dr. Demento's "Funny Five." (Yes, some kids want to be President or find a cure for cancer, but I set my sights higher.) Now that this song's been on the show, it's got a shot - if it gets enough requests.

So - if any of you feel like helping me indulge this obsession, please fill out this Dr. Demento request form:
http://www.clamhead.com/drdrequest.php
For "radio station," if you don't know of one in your area, I suppose you can put something like "Web," since I believe the Dr. D. show is streamed online.

From comments, I gather that Claude Prez and Chris Bodily TM have done this already, so many thanks to them - they could be why the song made it onto the show in the first place.

Thanks, all, for the encouragement and support. You guys rock. And, oh, by the way, I AM YOUR FATHER.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: K1chyd on 06/13/05 at 2:22 pm

So - if any of you feel like helping me indulge this obsession, please fill out this Dr. Demento request form:
For "radio station," if you don't know of one in your area, I suppose you can put something like "Web," since I believe the Dr. D. show is streamed online.

The state my shoes are in are not American so I wrote "Al-Qaida Secret Hideout" instead, figuring that interpreted either positive or negative it'll bring attention in your general direction... :P

Written By: Rick Cormier on 06/13/05 at 2:27 pm

Congrats, Spaff! You deserve it. I just sent in the request form.

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/13/05 at 2:31 pm

One may also enter Chicago (or some other Illinois suburb), WLUP-FM as your "listening area".

Written By: EthanM on 06/13/05 at 2:46 pm

Now I find that out after I alrready sent in the form  :(  . I put Web as my station since the NYC are doesn't get Dr. Demento for some reason.

Written By: Billy Florio on 06/13/05 at 7:30 pm

congrats Spaff!

Written By: EmiLoca on 06/13/05 at 7:33 pm

Woot, buddy. WOOT.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 06/13/05 at 9:25 pm

First Horseman: *reading paper* Wouldn't ya know it, those stupid earthlings actually equitted MJ of all charges!
Second Horseman: Whacko, let me cross that off the list.
Third Horseman: Hey, check it out. Spaff's finally made it onto Dr Demento.
Second Horseman: Really? Well, scratching that one off, we only have to wait for Arwen's marriage to Vin Diesel and then Brattoni's plan of genetically programming renegade aborted foetuses to carry out a mass holocaust of geriatricide in order to cull world population problems as life expectancy rates hit all-time highs.
Fourth Horseman: Aright, page me when that happens. Anyone want pizza while I'm out?

...party horn, Spaffmeister.
Mass. Party. Horn.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 06/14/05 at 10:01 am

Excellent, Spaffer!

Now, when are we gonna see Will To Power on "Hit Me Baby One More Time"?

Written By: marthadtox3 on 06/14/05 at 6:28 pm

congratulations !!.. have done the request thing also...

Written By: Ansky1213 on 06/14/05 at 9:26 pm

Splendid, Spaff! Seriously, superb!

I made the request as well, even though we don't get Dr. Demento here in NYC, as was already mentioned. Seriously, great job!

Written By: John Jenkins on 06/14/05 at 11:45 pm

Request submitted.  Congrats and good luck, Spaff.

Written By: Spaff.com on 06/15/05 at 2:44 am

Wow, thanks, everyone. You guys are, well... You're the Nile. You're the Tower of Pisa. You're the smile on the Mona Lisa.

It may be too late for some of you, but here's a list of stations that carry the Dr. Demento show:
http://mypage.iu.edu/~jbmorris/FAQ/stations.html
And since the request-form link has now inconveniently slipped to a previous page, here it is again:
...just in case you wanna, you know, help more people get "Crabs."

Now, when are we gonna see Will To Power on "Hit Me Baby One More Time"?

OK, this was supposed to be hush-hush, but since Leo's let it out of the bag...

Will To Power can't ignore the public demand forever, so we're working on a reunion of the original lineup.

Our biggest hit remains "Free Baby," a medley ("mashup" for you kids) of "Free Bird" and "Baby, I Love Your Way." In keeping with tradition, we're working on a medley of "Baby One More Time" and "I Am Woman." It's called "Hit the Woman."

The plan is to stage the reunion and peform the new single at Live 8. Pink Floyd will be our opening act.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 06/15/05 at 4:23 am

Kudos pops, man.
Mass. Kudos. Pops.

Written By: Spaff.com on 06/18/05 at 8:13 pm

Thanks, all, for your support.

I found the playlist for tomorrow's Dr. Demento show ( http://mypage.iu.edu/~jbmorris/FAQ/drd05.0619.html ) and - woohoo! - he's leading off with "I Got Crabs from Darth Vader." I have to guess that your requests made this possible, and I'm thrilled.

Since "Crabs" is one of the few songs from last week's show that he's playing again this week, there's still a chance that enough additional requests will push this into the Funny Five on a future show. (Hint hint.)

Thanks again for giving yourselves to the dark side.
xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Spaff.com on 06/23/05 at 9:38 pm

Oh yeah, I heard about this... you're billing it as the Twilight of the Idols Tour, right?  You KNOW I'll be there flicking my bic and yelling "Free Bird!" but what I really wanna know is, are you gonna do "Zarathustra," too?   

Good question, perceptive one. We shall see. Meanwhile, Michael Bolton wants to join the tour, and we've told him yes on one condition: He has to bill himself as "The Antichrist."

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: SteveCav on 06/26/05 at 8:18 pm

WOW!!!!  :o :D 

Congratulations to Dr Demento! I had no idea he was worthy to play Spaff's parodies.

Written By: Spaff.com on 07/02/05 at 1:26 pm

THANK YOU ALL for helping me reach a goal I've had for a long time. The playlist for tomorrow's Dr. Demento show is out, and "I Got Crabs from Darth Vader" made the Funny Five! (Number One, to be precise.) Here's the playlist:
http://mypage.iu.edu/~jbmorris/FAQ/drd05.0703.html

And here's where you can catch the show:
http://mypage.iu.edu/~jbmorris/FAQ/stations.html

This wouldn't have happened without your requests, so thank you again. Please go buy yourselves drinks and send me the tab. I promise to reimburse you just as soon as I reach my next goal, which is to win the lottery.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: deerange on 07/02/05 at 7:10 pm

High 5's, Spaff, I'm drinkin' to  your success right now.But with my consumption capabilities, you might be better off not hitting the lottery.....LOL

And congrats to Dr Demento for finally having the wisdom to play the world's greatest parodist on his show...and even though we know you are not from planet Earth, I for one am just thankful that you read and write English. Your songs might be hard to understand in your native Andromedan tongue  ;)

Written By: 2nz on 07/02/05 at 9:12 pm

Yeah, very excellent, Mr. Spafford. At the top of everyone's list, I see. Keep the medals and the memories shiny man, you deserve 'em.

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/05/05 at 7:28 am

UPDATE: Mr. Spaff.com and Robert Lund have now attained the highest honor to befall a Dr. Demento artist---"I Got Crabs From Darth Vader" was declared the #1 Song on The Dr. Demento Show' Funny 5 for 7/3/05. Congratulations once again!!!

Written By: EthanM on 07/11/05 at 9:37 am

update: it's #1 again for the 10th

Written By: Spaff.com on 07/15/05 at 7:58 am

Thanx again, y'all, for your requests and support. I'm really quite thrilled.

To those of you who've been played on Dr. D. before (Rick D et al.): Please let me know how soon I can expect all the money and groupies to start arriving. I'm starting to worry that they got lost or something.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: jreuben on 07/15/05 at 8:07 am

Thanx again, y'all, for your requests and support. I'm really quite thrilled.

To those of you who've been played on Dr. D. before (Rick D et al.): Please let me know how soon I can expect all the money and groupies to start arriving. I'm starting to worry that they got lost or something.

xoxox
Spaff

Belated congratulations.  A far step above drunken karaoke party performances.  It's awesome, great job!

Written By: Claude_Prez on 07/16/05 at 9:12 pm

Three weeks in a row.  Congratulations, something tells me this isn't all AmiRight people voting for you; I know I haven't been. 

Written By: EthanM on 07/17/05 at 4:01 pm

maybe it'll be news when they aren't number one. If it ever happens

Written By: tmayfield on 07/20/05 at 2:23 pm

Three weeks in a row.  Congratulations, something tells me this isn't all AmiRight people voting for you; I know I haven't been. 

So, when is Dr. D going to do a whole show on Robert Lund/Spaff.com???

You know he could...

Written By: Spaff.com on 01/20/06 at 11:44 pm

Yo, homies.

I just wanted to pop in again and say that the one-hit-wonder days are officially over.

http://mypage.iu.edu/~jbmorris/cgi-bin/plinfo.pl?drd06.0122.html

I'm so happy I could kidnap Naomi Watts. Thanx again, y'all, for your encouragement.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 01/21/06 at 3:40 am

So you did send Dr Demento a 'Hit Me Baby One More Time?'
;)
Keep yer brilliance a-flowin'. I spammed all my friends with your deliciously ingenius '31 Flavors' parody.
(Without adding a 'u' in there out of respect!)

Written By: Cat on 01/21/06 at 7:05 pm

That's excellent, Spaff!

It's about time someone recognized your infinite talent.

Written By: Red Ant on 01/21/06 at 9:06 pm

Sweet. Now, if I can squeeze in 25 minutes to d/l the King Kong MP3 I'll do so. I still have a lot to d/l for SOTM reviewing.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 01/22/06 at 5:22 am

Congratulations.  But I see you only made #7 on the Funny 25.  What's up with that?  You'll have to do better this year; someone needs to put the Great Big Head of Luke Ski in its place.

Written By: EthanM on 01/22/06 at 11:14 am

Especially since darkjon64 (anyone else remember him) did vader boy long before luke ski did. And darkjon seemed somewhat embarrassed to have used such an obvious parody title.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 01/22/06 at 11:38 am

Especially since darkjon64 (anyone else remember him) did vader boy long before luke ski did. And darkjon seemed somewhat embarrassed to have used such an obvious parody title.

Didn't know that.  Pretty funny, considering Steven Cavanagh's "Y-O-D-A" story.  I'd go look for it but I'm way too lazy. 

Written By: EthanM on 01/22/06 at 11:50 am

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/avrillavinge4.shtml

It's so old... the hobbits hadn't posted any parodies yet

Written By: Spaff.com on 01/22/06 at 12:57 pm

Tim:
Belated thanks on your comment from last July. Maybe someday the Doc will get desperate enough to do that.

Luke:
Thanks for leaving out the 'u' - I've never liked it spelled 'paroudy'

Cat:
Please don't reveal how much my publicist paid you to say that.

Red Ant:
25 minutes?! What are you on, a 14.4 modem? Would it help if I emailed you the MP3, or would that crash the entire Internet?

Claude and Ethan:
Yeah, #7 for the year is pathetic. I'll try harder. Meanwhile, I found this thread about Steven Cavanagh and Luke Ski:
http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/parodies/1073378305.shtml
Unfortunately, the link S.C. provided to Luke Ski's "Yoda" story no longer works. That's too bad; it was hilarious, if unintentionally so.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Cat on 01/22/06 at 3:25 pm

Oh come on! Why so modest?

You're seriously a genius. And I'm not just saying that...if you got it, flaunt it!

Written By: Spaff.com on 01/22/06 at 5:03 pm

Oh come on! Why so modest?

It's false modesty. I'm actually quite full of myself. In fact, I might take a cue from that Luke Ski guy and change my name to The Great Spaff.com.

xoxox
The Great Spaff.com

Written By: Red Ant on 01/22/06 at 5:48 pm

Red Ant:
25 minutes?! What are you on, a 14.4 modem? Would it help if I emailed you the MP3, or would that crash the entire Internet?

xoxox
Spaff

Well, maybe not 25 minutes but an average length/quality MP3 takes 15 minutes. I have craptastic dial up with Netzero, which is getting canned very soon.

As for E-mailing it, my inbox size is limited to 2MB so it may very well crash the entire internet.

I'll download when I'm at work and getting paid by the hour.  ;)

Written By: Johnny_D on 01/22/06 at 6:00 pm

It's false modesty. I'm actually quite full of myself. In fact, I might take a cue from that Luke Ski guy and change my name to The Great Spaff.com.

xoxox
The Great Spaff.com

You've always been, and you'll always be, THE MIGHTY SPAFF, to Johnny D!  8)  ;)    ;D

Written By: Spaff.com on 01/22/06 at 8:48 pm

You've always been, and you'll always be, THE MIGHTY SPAFF, to Johnny D!  8)  ;)    ;D

That one's much better. I think I told you that I tried to get my family and friends to follow your lead and call me that; instead, they now call me something that Chucky's software won't allow me to type.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Cat on 01/22/06 at 9:51 pm

Are they even aware of your acheivements, may I ask?

Written By: Spaff.com on 01/22/06 at 9:58 pm

Yes. They're very supportive. I was just kidding about the whole name-calling thing.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: tmayfield on 01/23/06 at 10:58 am

I have craptastic dial up with Netzero, which is getting canned very soon.

Well, there is a REASON they call it NetZERO...

Written By: Red Ant on 01/23/06 at 11:15 pm

Well, there is a REASON they call it NetZERO...

It used to be a free ISP, one with all of the crappy ads. Now it costs money and has crappy ads.

So, since I'm switching (and sorry to hijack your thread here Almighty Spaff) ISPs what would you all recommend?

Written By: barry on 01/24/06 at 12:40 pm

Earthlink, Bellsouth and AOL are good

Written By: tmayfield on 01/24/06 at 2:26 pm

AOL is good compared to NetZERO. But I think AOL is evil. Earthlink has a good service. I would check on Netscape, I don't know anyone with Netscape but for the money, it might be better than Earthlink.

Written By: Gonfunko on 01/24/06 at 4:41 pm

I'd have to disagree...AOL screams newbie, Bellsouth wants to limit bandwith on sites that don't pay them extra to get the full speed of your connection, and from what I understand, Earthlink has lousy tech support. Pretty much all ISPs are lousy in some respect - it's really about choosing the lesser of evils. See if there's any unencrypted wi-fi at your house - you may not even need to pay at all. Seeing as how you're switching ISPs, though, now would be a good time to consider DSL - it's available in most areas at reasonable prices nowadays. Sometimes your phone or cable company can add on DSL to your account; this brings the advantage of having fewer separate bills, and possibly discounts or other perks depending on what packages they have available and what you already subscribe to. Don't be afraid to look at independent local ISPs as well - sometimes they have some of the best deals and tech support. Hopefully that helps some.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...