inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Happy Birthday - stupid song, we need a campaign to replace it

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/22/05 at 11:44 am

If you follow copyright issues at all, you may have heard that the song "Happy Birthday" is still in copyright, and that public performance of it requires payment to the Warner Bros. coporation.  The song is basically a plagerized work by a couple of school teachers close to 100 years ago, and really, isn't that good. Nobody ever sings it in key, heck, I'm not even sure what key it's supposed to be!

Most restaurants (like Applebees or Uno's) have replacement songs due to this stupid law (and the insanely unfair copyright laws, having extended the length of copyright to near infinity).

I personally think the amiright community can do much better than these restaurants, and I think we can certainly do much better than the original..

I'm proposing a replacement!

The original song, is easy to sing and remember, basically due to their only being two phrases.  I think that's key.  It's also a simple rhythm. 

Is anyone else with me?  I'm thinking of creating a seperate website, and soliciting people to submit recordings of them singing their replacement song.  All songs submitted would have to be copyright free, no restrictions (a creative copy commons license?)

Subject: Re: Happy Birthday - stupid song, we need a campaign to replace it

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 06/22/05 at 8:20 pm

Brillllliant idea! I think long before we disillusion ourselves regarding Santa and the Tooth Fairy, we become aware of just how awful that song is, and how Warner Bros is truly evil incarnate. Get that new site up quick, I've only got mere weeks until my ears will be once again assaulted by the unholy banshee-like wailings of relatives.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/22/05 at 9:46 pm

here's some more background on the subject

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Birthday

Written By: Spaff.com on 06/23/05 at 9:01 pm

We love that it's your birthday!
Even if you don't!
Be glad you're getting older!
'Cause when you're dead you won't!

So happy happy birthday!
From everyone you know!
Now we will light the candles!
And - birth - day - boy* - YOU - BLOW!

xoxox
Spaff

*Replace "boy," obviously, with any other suitable descriptor.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/23/05 at 9:10 pm

We love that it's your birthday!
Even if you don't!
Be glad you're getting older!
'Cause when you're dead you won't!

So happy happy birthday!
From everyone you know!
Now we will light the candles!
And - birth - day - boy* - YOU - BLOW!

xoxox
Spaff

*Replace "boy," obviously, with any other suitable descriptor.

me like, me like

Written By: EmiLoca on 06/23/05 at 9:58 pm

Go shawty, it's yo birfday...

...what do you MEAN those lyrics are copyrighted?!?

Written By: Rick D on 06/25/05 at 1:19 am

I've long felt the same about this as Chuckie. So for a change I wrote an actual serious original new birthday song in the hopes that it may serve as a welcome alternitive. I'll be putting it in recordings tomorrow.

Written By: PRobinson on 06/27/05 at 11:51 am

If you follow copyright issues at all, you may have heard that the song "Happy Birthday" is still in copyright, and that public performance of it requires payment to the Warner Bros. coporation.  The song is basically a plagerized work by a couple of school teachers close to 100 years ago, and really, isn't that good. Nobody ever sings it in key, heck, I'm not even sure what key it's supposed to be!

Most restaurants (like Applebees or Uno's) have replacement songs due to this stupid law (and the insanely unfair copyright laws, having extended the length of copyright to near infinity).

I personally think the amiright community can do much better than these restaurants, and I think we can certainly do much better than the original..

I'm proposing a replacement!

The original song, is easy to sing and remember, basically due to their only being two phrases.  I think that's key.  It's also a simple rhythm. 

Is anyone else with me?  I'm thinking of creating a seperate website, and soliciting people to submit recordings of them singing their replacement song.  All songs submitted would have to be copyright free, no restrictions (a creative copy commons license?)

Great idea, ChuckyG...I'll see if I can think of anything...I really do LOATHE that "Happy Birthday" song...it's SOOOO...boring...and repetitious...and there's nothing funny that one can do with the lyrics...even ridicule falls short of the harsh treatment they deserve...

pr

Written By: Rick D on 06/27/05 at 12:16 pm

Okay, Chuck. My birthday song is up. It's actually twenty seconds long or less, but I stretched it to 1:13. See the many ways you provide inspiration here?

Written By: PRobinson on 06/27/05 at 2:44 pm

Well, I wrote one...of course, true to form I did NOT use a song that everybody would know...I just don't know too many of those...lol... :D

I will try and make a recording of it later on today...

pr

Written By: adagio on 06/27/05 at 10:44 pm

That is a good song, Rick.  :)

Written By: Snorkel on 06/27/05 at 11:23 pm

Hey Adagio, what does your avatar say?

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 06/27/05 at 11:55 pm

My youthful, exuberant eyes decipher 'I need my coffee, NOW!'

Written By: adagio on 06/28/05 at 7:02 am

My youthful, exuberant eyes decipher 'I need my coffee, NOW!'

Right!! ;)

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 06/29/05 at 8:16 pm

Happy Birthday!

This one gets my vote!

Check for new replies or respond here...