inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I need some ideas to jump start my parody writing career

Written By: Jack Wilson on 06/25/05 at 1:17 pm

As you can tell I havent been psoting parodies for a hwile caus eive been too busy with other stuff, and also I think of great songs to parody but cant think of names, I need my parody career jumpstarted

Subject: Re: I need some ideas to jump start my parody writing career

Written By: EthanM on 06/25/05 at 1:37 pm

I think one of the best things you can do for your parody writing might be to not rely on others for your parody ideas. And you're still quite young... I don't think you force yourself to write unless you think you have a great idea. But instead of just giving out potential parody titles, maybe this thread can be about suggestions of how you can get better at thinking of your own parody titles. As for my own opinion, practicing your rhyming should help a lot. So should reading the parodies of accomplished authors and reading in general. Watching stand up comedy might help too with the parody writing. But don't worry, i think you're ahead of where I was at your age. I didn't write anything that's on this site until I was almost 17, and I think a lot of people here started a lot later than that.

Written By: STG on 06/25/05 at 3:31 pm

Well, the tops five things I use to make a parody is

5: Satire of the original artist or of a different artist.
4: Food
3: Drugs and Booze
2: AmIRight
1: Current Events in the World

Here is an idea of a funny parody.

I heard it on 98.9THEBEAR A man shot his cow because the cow  was not fulfilling his needs and would consent no more.
(Or something to that extent)

Written By: PRobinson on 06/27/05 at 11:48 am

As you can tell I havent been psoting parodies for a hwile caus eive been too busy with other stuff, and also I think of great songs to parody but cant think of names, I need my parody career jumpstarted

I will echo part of Ethan's comment...although I have always fooled around with word-play and puns I didn't write any parodies until I was over 30...and we're talking about exactly two (2) before I became involved in this site in November 2003 (at age 53)...so you are not doing all that shabbily in my estimation.  Good advice about working on the rhyming...instead of thinking about the songs to use, try thinking about situations you might want to parody (or, take an everyday situation you are in, imagine something weird or funny or give the people in it a very strange and somewhat "out-of-sync" perspective (easy for me, I'm already there).  Then see if you can remember some part of a song that you could use to fit the scenario into.  Or in English:  go at the craft from different angles, especially if think you are in a slump. And just listen to some of the songs that you might have in your music collection or library...and don't be discouraged when you have a "dry spell" now and then...it happens to everybody...and it generally means it's time for you to re-tool and/or modify your style or approach...keep on writing...

That ought to confuse the hell out you ~ ~ ~

pr

Written By: The Mistress Leola on 06/30/05 at 12:14 pm

My advises is, if you no can think of good parody idea, write bad parody.  If you have the writers block, you have to write.  Do not wait for inspirating. 

Or do exercise to wake up creative thinking.  Take line from a song and write as many rhyming lines as can think of.  Important to not edit self too much, don't worry about making senses. Good idea might come if you let self go crazies!

It's still Rock and Roll To Me
*The chilled guacamole's green
*The pillbox is bone not green
*I killed Bach -- he stole my suites
*The still clock is on the 3
*I killed Spock -- he stole my scene

I say good idea might come, no guranteeses....  :-\\

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/30/05 at 12:15 pm

My advice to get yer pep up is to take any song of your choosing that has a good amount of lyrics (verse, chorus, 2nd verse) and try to change the lyrics without any semblance of logic, without worrying if it makes sense. Work primarily on the ryhmes of words, and at least try to have each line make a complete thought or statement. I have experimented with this in my "Albums" for The Beatles' White Album and Madonna's Immaculate Collection, which can be easily viewed here: http://www.amiright.com/parody/authors/agrimorfee.shtml

Sometimes a clever parody (whether funny or surreal) comes out of this method.

Check for new replies or respond here...