inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New feature I'm experimenting with

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/28/05 at 11:40 am

http://www.amiright.com/parody/authors/

click the headings of the columns, and you can sort the table on the fly.  One little bug due to Tong and Higgins, but otherwise looks lok

Subject: Re: New feature I'm experimenting with

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/28/05 at 12:09 pm

click the headings of the columns, and you can sort the table on the fly.  One little bug due to Tong and Higgins, but otherwise looks lok

oops... give it a few minutes, I tried to clean it up, but broke it in the process. 

Written By: PRobinson on 06/28/05 at 12:28 pm

oops... give it a few minutes, I tried to clean it up, but broke it in the process. 

OH...so it appears to update the vote totals for each song in REAL TIME!  When I first read your note I couldn't figure out what you were saying.  This new feature is very cool...good stuff!

Thanks,

pr

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/28/05 at 2:54 pm

OH...so it appears to update the vote totals for each song in REAL TIME!  When I first read your note I couldn't figure out what you were saying.  This new feature is very cool...good stuff!

Thanks,

pr

no, it definitely doesn't do that.  It only lets you sort the columns. 

so on the author index page, if you click on author name at the top of the column, it gives you an alpha sorted list of author names.

If you click on an author name, like Johnny D for instance:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/authors/johnnyd.shtml

You can click on "Original Song Title" and it sorts the page by that instead of by the parody name.  Or you can sort by votes, etc. 

It's all done with javascript, css and some DHTML, pretty easily implemented.  I need to clean up the appearance a little bit, but it's pretty slick stuff.

Written By: Johnny_D on 06/28/05 at 3:12 pm

Those are great new features, Chucky.  Thanks!

I checked Luke Brattoni's author listing ...

http://www.amiright.com/parody/authors/jakearalphinglukebrattoni.shtml

... and when I used your new sort feature to sort it by Comments, I found EIGHT HUNDRED NINETY FIVE comments on "Hittin' on EmiLoca".

Does ANY other author have a parody that even comes close to THAT ?

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/28/05 at 3:18 pm

Those are great new features, Chucky.  Thanks!

I checked Luke Brattoni's author listing ...

http://www.amiright.com/parody/authors/jakearalphinglukebrattoni.shtml

... and when I used your new sort feature to sort it by Comments, I found EIGHT HUNDRED NINETY FIVE comments on "Hittin' on EmiLoca".

Does ANY other author have a parody that even comes close to THAT ?

that must be a bug, are there really that many comments on that song?

Written By: EthanM on 06/28/05 at 3:19 pm

It's a great feature... like phil's amiright viewer but quicker. The only problem is that it doesn't seem to sort by date, but that's forgivable. And yeah there are a lot of comments on that song. It's like the only thread that matters over there but with different people.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/28/05 at 3:24 pm

It's a great feature... like phil's amiright viewer but quicker. The only problem is that it doesn't seem to sort by date, but that's forgivable. And yeah there are a lot of comments on that song. It's like the only thread that matters over there but with different people.

I figured that Avril - Britney bashing thing was the biggest/longest running commented item on the site, but that might give it a run for the money.  Amazing really.

I noticed the dates won't sort (it's alpha-numerical sort, not smart enough to sort based on dates like that)

So I'm going to change the way the dates are written out.  I'll make them all YYYY-MM-DD (year-month-day) and then it'll sort fine.  It won't be as pretty, but it'll fix that. 

It's a work in progress, so there's bound to be a few kinks still.

Written By: K1chyd on 06/28/05 at 3:40 pm

You can click on "Original Song Title" and it sorts the page by that instead of by the parody name.  Or you can sort by votes, etc. 

It's all done with javascript, css and some DHTML, pretty easily implemented.  I need to clean up the appearance a little bit, but it's pretty slick stuff.

A suggestion: On Votes (pacing, funny and overall) have high-to-low come on first click instead of low-to-high. Using Johnny as an example, clicking on any of those alternatives on his parody list shows some 50 songs on top with absolutely no votes at all, not even a zero to implent no vote, just blank fields. I'm guessing this has to do with the vote vipeout of last year so setting high-to-low as the default (if that's possible) would look better IMHO.

Also, there's something wrong with the comments box on parodies today, it's gotten much bigger and is now wider than the screen, almost twice as big as it was before. Maybe it has something to do with this implementation?

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/28/05 at 4:12 pm

A suggestion: On Votes (pacing, funny and overall) have high-to-low come on first click instead of low-to-high. Using Johnny as an example, clicking on any of those alternatives on his parody list shows some 50 songs on top with absolutely no votes at all, not even a zero to implent no vote, just blank fields. I'm guessing this has to do with the vote vipeout of last year so setting high-to-low as the default (if that's possible) would look better IMHO.

not sure if I can set the default for each column, but I'll certainly try (since it does make more sense to sort ascending first, rather than descending).

Also, there's something wrong with the comments box on parodies today, it's gotten much bigger and is now wider than the screen, almost twice as big as it was before. Maybe it has something to do with this implementation?

actually the comments thing is probably due to the changes from the other day.  the Internet Explorer Only stylesheet isn't being loaded.  I'll fix that.  I need to test with IE more often.

Written By: Red Ant on 06/28/05 at 8:22 pm

that must be a bug, are there really that many comments on that song?

Yes, there sure are. 

As for the new layout, it is great in every way. One *very* tiny complaint though: Is it possible to "shrink down" the field so that one doesn't have to scroll horizontally to see everything when looking at the bio? ( from parody name to at least the comment total ).

If not, no biggie.

Can't wait for the date sorting by submission, as it would be interesting to see how people matured/changed over time here.

Written By: EthanM on 06/28/05 at 8:54 pm

if you really can't wait you can download phil's amiright viewer. google it and you should find it. Unless you have a mac, since i don't think it works on those.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 06/28/05 at 9:42 pm

Another fine step forward by the Chuckmeister.

I formally apologise for the megs the insane HOE rantings are taking up. Really. Gosh. I feel so guilty.

One suggestion though, are you able to make it so that the highest amount is shown at the top, instead of lowest to highest?
Because I'm fussy and all of my whims must be satisfied. ;D

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 06/28/05 at 11:49 pm

If there's one thing I truly love in listings, it's organization. Great job, Chucky. Now we can see all authors ranked by the voting score. I'm the 5th highest voted on the list! Really? Get out.. sweeeeet! ;D

Written By: PRobinson on 06/29/05 at 2:32 am

no, it definitely doesn't do that.  It only lets you sort the columns. 

so on the author index page, if you click on author name at the top of the column, it gives you an alpha sorted list of author names.

OH>>>...Are you sure it doesn't also update vote totals, too?  It seemed to me that it was doing it...although it might just have been something I took back in the 60's or 70's.  Anyway,  it looks a lot cleaner now and I now understand what you talking about, too.

Thanks,

pr

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/29/05 at 6:37 am

OH>>>...Are you sure it doesn't also update vote totals, too?  It seemed to me that it was doing it...although it might just have been something I took back in the 60's or 70's.  Anyway,  it looks a lot cleaner now and I now understand what you talking about, too.

Thanks,

pr

it was updating them, only because I was regenerating the page as I was making changes to the code.  It won't normally do that.

you can sort the columns both ways, just click on it a second time.

Written By: PRobinson on 06/29/05 at 12:04 pm

it was updating them, only because I was regenerating the page as I was making changes to the code.  It won't normally do that.

you can sort the columns both ways, just click on it a second time.

Yeah, I did that last night when I was checking it out...1st click is ascending 2nd click goes to descending...really nice enhancement, Chucky...it makes the site more interesting, informative and user 'useful'...

pr

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/29/05 at 1:46 pm

I tweaked it some more today, while working on other things.  The dates are now formatted as numbers, and so they are now sortable. 

I removed the "totals" row from the bottom of each author page, so it doesn't screw things up either.

The alternating row color of course looks funny when you resort a table, since the scripts I use can't figure that little headache out on their own.  So I might do away with that (just add more whitespace between rows or something)

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 07/04/05 at 6:11 pm

click the headings of the columns, and you can sort the table on the fly. 

sorting each author's page by the votes column is the beauty of this new feature Chucky. 

Now you can go to all your favourite authors' pages and get their best work bunched up altogether at the top of the page.

Sorting by votes seems to be the best way of doing this because sorting by scores is tarnished by the 111 effect
- and sorting by votes also reflects which parodies the author likes best, because they've usually sunbmitted those ones to contests, which give those parodies extra votes

Written By: Rex on 07/04/05 at 8:38 pm

Chucky,

Love seeing things organized. On a related topic, is there any way to add a column on an individual author's page that shows the date a comment was last added for a parody?

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/04/05 at 8:58 pm

Chucky,

Love seeing things organized. On a related topic, is there any way to add a column on an individual author's page that shows the date a comment was last added for a parody?

maybe, but it would be delayed a day (like the vote totals, only updated once a day)

Written By: tmayfield on 07/20/05 at 2:35 pm

Chucky,

I LOVE the new features too.  The only thing I can think of that I would ever want to have added:

A feature like the latest comments page.  No matter which of your parodies a comment is left for you can sort by latest comment period.  That way you don't miss a new comment on a parody that was submitted last year or so.

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/20/05 at 2:42 pm

I LOVE the new features too.  The only thing I can think of that I would ever want to have added:

A feature like the latest comments page.  No matter which of your parodies a comment is left for you can sort by latest comment period.  That way you don't miss a new comment on a parody that was submitted last year or so.

might be a little more difficult due to the way the comments are stored.  I wish I had set this server up with a database, things would be so much more robust at this point.

Check for new replies or respond here...