inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: SHOW & TELL #3--TOUCHING TRIBUTES

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/30/05 at 12:25 pm

In this week's hunt, we are looking for our favorite, or newly found Touching Tributes. These parodies are not necessarily funny, but were written as a heartfelt tribute to an idea, a memorial to dearly departed, or a salute to someone famous or not-so-famous. This assignment is due Friday July 2.

Here's my fave, and not just because it got me into so much trouble.... ;)

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/pinkfloyd127.shtml

Subject: Re: SHOW & TELL #3--TOUCHING TRIBUTES

Written By: jreuben on 06/30/05 at 12:39 pm

I'm early for a change.  This is the closest to a TOTTM tribute I could find (and a darn good bass turd of a song in itself!)

The Ballad Of Ash And Arwen

PS:  Ag...good choice  :)

Written By: Rick Cormier on 06/30/05 at 2:24 pm

Here is a wonderful tribute parody written by Johnny D...

Starry, Starry Flight

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/donmclean31.shtml

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/30/05 at 3:34 pm

In this week's hunt, we are looking for our favorite, or newly found Touching Tributes. These parodies are not necessarily funny, but were written as a heartfelt tribute to an idea, a memorial to dearly departed, or a salute to someone famous or not-so-famous. This assignment is due Friday July 2.

Here's my fave, and not just because it got me into so much trouble.... ;)

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/pinkfloyd127.shtml

Oh my hell!  I was just re-reading the comments on here and laughing so hard.  I'm sorry that you were our whipping boy, Ag, but I must say, our little tussle was quite entertaining!  Thanks for the shout out.

I'm early for a change.  This is the closest to a TOTTM tribute I could find (and a darn good bass turd of a song in itself!)

The Ballad Of Ash And Arwen

PS: Ag...good choice :)

Awww...memories...Thanks Jeff!

Written By: Arwen on 06/30/05 at 3:46 pm

Here's my tribute to the brave American astronauts who perished in the Apollo fire, the Challenger lift-off, and the Columbia re-entry:

"Starry Starry Flight"

Johnny, you're supposed to find a parody of MINE someone ELSE's that you want to show and tell...

Oh, and Agri...I didn't have make time this week to find S&T parodies...but I just got off the phone with Ash, who told me I had to get my ass over here to see what you'd chosen.  She and I agreed that it proves you to be quite a man, to give props to a parody that lead to your own public cyber-flogging... :)

Written By: Johnny_D on 06/30/05 at 3:57 pm

I apologize to everybody for posting my own parody on this thread.

I removed the offending post.

I didn't read the rules closely enough --- my mistake.    :-[

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 06/30/05 at 7:46 pm

here's one that Dee Range posted last Christmas

Homeless Bound

Written By: Red Ant on 06/30/05 at 10:39 pm

This one I voted 515 on, which looking back I was using the "strict" definition I had on "funny". Today it would have received a 555 as it falls under "tribute/memorial" exceptions I have. Also, I had no clue on how SOTM/Y worked at the time ( only been here 2 weeks at that point ). Anyway, I present this:

The Words 'Here's Johnny'

Written By: Ashkicksass on 07/01/05 at 12:25 am

This one I voted 515 on, which looking back I was using the "strict" definition I had on "funny". Today it would have received a 555 as it falls under "tribute/memorial" exceptions I have. Also, I had no clue on how SOTM/Y worked at the time ( only been here 2 weeks at that point ). Anyway, I present this:

That was fabulous.

And Agrimorfee - I have to thank you for starting this thread - I didn't have time to visit the site for quite a while, and I feel like I'm getting to see a lot of great stuff that I missed out on. 

Written By: Scathe on 07/01/05 at 3:13 am

Through my journeys through the AmIRight archives, I have noticed that Royce Miller has a flare for tribute parodies.
One in particular entitled To All The Cops We've Called Before was very good.
Here's the link:
http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/julioiglesiaswillienelson1.shtml

Written By: Ashkicksass on 07/01/05 at 11:59 am

I'd like to submit this one.  Not only is it extremely moving, it's freakin hilarious!

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/matthewwilder1.shtml

Written By: Mistress Leola on 07/01/05 at 7:25 pm

I'd like to submit this one.  Not only is it extremely moving, it's freakin hilarious!

It wasn't moving when I read it -- was it supposed to have been written in Javascript or something?

Written By: Rick Cormier on 07/01/05 at 10:23 pm

It wasn't moving when I read it -- was it supposed to have been written in Javascript or something?
LOL Leo!

Written By: Spaff.com on 07/02/05 at 1:23 pm

A touching parable about color and the value of accepting diversity:
http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/johncougarmellencamp5.shtml

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Arwen on 07/04/05 at 12:37 am

You should probably all sit down, as the shock will certainly knock you over...but I AM going to agree with Ash on that one...

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 07/04/05 at 6:27 am

A touching parable about color and the value of accepting diversity:
http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/johncougarmellencamp5.shtml

xoxox
Spaff

Mass. LOL.

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/05/05 at 7:38 am

Cool stuff everyone, thanks for playing along. I didn't get to read this until today 7/5 due to the holiday...I thought there would be very few participants for that reason as well, but it was heartening to see all the exhibits.  Don't sweat it, Johnny--no penalties are given out here.

So, what to do next?

Let's  pick an Educational parody---a work that not only made you at least giggle, but also serves as a pickup to all the time you wasted passing notes while in Econ 101, or when you fell asleep in Algebra 202! I will start an official thread elswhere in the forum for anyone to deposit their next Show & Tell selection for Friday 7/8. (If anyone has objections due to the holiday week, feel free to protest)

Happy hunting!

Written By: bobbypags on 07/05/05 at 10:38 am

That was fabulous.

Red

Ash/Red Ant:
Just a quick not of thanks for your nice comments and for posting my work as one of the "Touching Tributes".  I really appreciate it.  Certainly the subject, Johnny Carson, deserves the credit - I was just reliving the 20-plus years during which Johnny entertained me.  (I almost didn't psoPostis - at least under my name - as I really thought it was too sappy). 

Thanks again,
bob

Written By: PRobinson on 07/07/05 at 2:58 pm

Cool stuff everyone, thanks for playing along. I didn't get to read this until today 7/5 due to the holiday...I thought there would be very few participants for that reason as well, but it was heartening to see all the exhibits.  Don't sweat it, Johnny--no penalties are given out here.

So, what to do next?

Let's  pick an Educational parody---a work that not only made you at least giggle, but also serves as a pickup to all the time you wasted passing notes while in Econ 101, or when you fell asleep in Algebra 202! I will start an official thread elswhere in the forum for anyone to deposit their next Show & Tell selection for Friday 7/8. (If anyone has objections due to the holiday week, feel free to protest)

Happy hunting!

Just start by looking through Phil Alexander's stuff...and you can probably stop after you go through his...not only funny, but very informative...

pr

Check for new replies or respond here...