inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Misheard Lyric: #75,000

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/22/05 at 3:36 pm

I can't believe how many submissions the site has racked up, or how much of this stuff IndyGent has approved over the past five years (big thanks by the way there!)

I'm slowly revamping the design of the site, so knowing this milestone was going to be reached soon, I focused on doing over the misheard lyrics archive.  I'm not quite done yet, but I did upgrade the look of the lyrics themselves.

This was #75,000.

http://www.amiright.com/misheard/artist/cradleoffilth.shtml

Cradle of Filth's, "Her Ghost In The Fog"

Misheard Lyrics:
She was the hideous creature
That kissed the goats beards
The Queen of Spew far beyond compare
The superstitious trees.

Original Lyrics:
She was divinity's creature
That kissed in cold mirrors
A Queen of Snow Far beyond compare
Lips attuned to symmetry.

Subject: Re: Misheard Lyric: #75,000

Written By: nally on 07/22/05 at 3:38 pm

That's amazing! :D I remember when I first found the site and it had not even a couple thousand of 'em.

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/22/05 at 3:40 pm

That's amazing! :D I remember when I first found the site and it had not even a couple thousand of 'em.

I think there was around 2,000 or so when the site started (inthe80s was the home from 1996-2000) so you must have found it very early on.

Written By: nally on 07/22/05 at 3:42 pm

I think there was around 2,000 or so when the site started (inthe80s was the home from 1996-2000) so you must have found it very early on.

April 25, 2000. I remember I was searching for some lyrics on Google (or maybe it was Yahoo) and came across a page for "misheard lyrics"...I thought I'd check it out, since I've been mis-hearing song lyrics for as long as I can remember. Ever since then, I've been visiting the site almost every day. I often go to that site to get to this one.

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/22/05 at 4:26 pm

April 25, 2000. I remember I was searching for some lyrics on Google (or maybe it was Yahoo) and came across a page for "misheard lyrics"...I thought I'd check it out, since I've been mis-hearing song lyrics for as long as I can remember. Ever since then, I've been visiting the site almost every day. I often go to that site to get to this one.

isn't that start date of the site?  if not it's very close.  So I guess you have been coming here a long time.

Written By: nally on 07/22/05 at 5:34 pm

isn't that start date of the site?  if not it's very close.  So I guess you have been coming here a long time.

Probably not too long after the site started...

Yes, I have been coming to the site for the last 5 years; I find lots of misunderstood lyrics to be hilarious. I've even submitted a few.

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/22/05 at 6:37 pm

Thanks Chucky, for recognizing my hard work and everyone for keeping Misheard Lyrics alive. I have to say I've let several bad submissions go under the cracks. Some I had to get help from Chucky to delete. Others I found rather amusing after rereading. I've also had my share of complaints, some of which can't be repeated on a family website. So, you can see the sacrifice (time and effort) we editors go through, both at amiright.com and the inthe(decades) sites.  And congratulations whomever sent in #75,000. ;)----Jonathan

Written By: Red Ant on 07/22/05 at 8:58 pm

Indy Gent ( and ChuckyG ), I appreciate the misheard lyrics greatly. Great work on the archives.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 07/23/05 at 10:32 pm

*thunderous applause*

One day you may even reach the number of comments I have! ;)

Written By: philbo on 07/25/05 at 5:59 pm

Incidentally, I spotted an error in one of the misheard lyrics:
From http://www.amiright.com/artists/whitesnake.shtml

"Here I Go Again"
Misheard Lyrics:
Like a hobo
Original Lyrics:
Like a drifter

The original lyrics *are* "Like a hobo I was born to walk alone" - when David Coverdale re-released "Here I Go Again" remixed in a much more American Rock (well, Bon Jovi-like) style, he changed it, presumably for the US audience.  IMO, the original has a much better flow to it.

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/26/05 at 9:44 am

The original lyrics *are* "Like a hobo I was born to walk alone" - when David Coverdale re-released "Here I Go Again" remixed in a much more American Rock (well, Bon Jovi-like) style, he changed it, presumably for the US audience.  IMO, the original has a much better flow to it.

there's so many mistakes, I can't keep up with the corrections.  There's a huge corrections backlog, but no one is willing to read the 7,500 or so entries in it and make the suggested changes.  IndyGent started to, but along with approving them, just couldn't keep up.

Written By: nally on 07/26/05 at 10:20 am

The only version I know of is the U.S. one, which says "drifter", not "hobo."

Written By: ... on 07/26/05 at 11:36 am

The only version I know of is the U.S. one, which says "drifter", not "hobo."

Same here, nally. I've never heard the "hobo" version either. However, I always think it sounds like "Like a twister, I was born to wear cologne" instead of "Like a drifter, I was born to walk alone."

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/18/05 at 9:05 am

And with my home computer now out of commission, it'll be that much harder to keep up with the corrections. Too many "corrections" turned out to be wrong anyway. I'll try to look over them on a weekend at the library, since I still have the link Chucky sent me. (PS: Chucky: It would have helped if there was a way you could show the number of corrections, like my other editing queues. 8))
there's so many mistakes, I can't keep up with the corrections.  There's a huge corrections backlog, but no one is willing to read the 7,500 or so entries in it and make the suggested changes.  IndyGent started to, but along with approving them, just couldn't keep up.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/18/05 at 9:37 am

And with my home computer now out of commission, it'll be that much harder to keep up with the corrections. Too many "corrections" turned out to be wrong anyway. I'll try to look over them on a weekend at the library, since I still have the link Chucky sent me. (PS: Chucky: It would have helped if there was a way you could show the number of corrections, like my other editing queues. 8))

I can do that, but you don't want to see the number, it's something like 9,000 entries. 

Doing corrections and approcing the new entries is probably way too much to be done by one person.  I should foist that off onto someone else

Check for new replies or respond here...