inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I'm going to be performing in a real comedy show in Manhattan on thursday

Written By: EthanM on 08/02/05 at 9:42 am

I'm not headlining  yet, since that generally doesn't happen in the first time you do a show except possibly if you're really famous already. What I'm doing is this thing called a new talent showcase, which means that I'm supposed to convince people to come. If anyone can make it to a 9pm show on Thursday night let me know through a PM or here. I'll be performing a couple of parodies so this thread does belong here... it's a $10 cover and 2 drink minimum (Soda is $3.50 and there are $5.50 beers). If you show up and say you came because of me I'll give you a shout-out on stage, and autograph if you want it, and possibly other things i haven't thought of. I think you just need to be 18 to get in and i don't think they card.

Subject: Re: I'm going to be performing in a real comedy show in Manhattan on thursday

Written By: bobbypags on 08/03/05 at 10:37 am

Care to tell us the name of the venue Ethan from Poughkeepsie? 

Subject: Re: I'm going to be performing in a real comedy show in Manhattan on thursday

Written By: Father Jones on 08/03/05 at 11:29 am

Yes, you didn't even tell us what city or state or whatever.  Maybe we don't live near you even.

Written By: bobbypags on 08/03/05 at 1:32 pm

With soda at $3.50, we can pretty much bet on the place being on Manhattan Island.  My guess is below 14th Street - yet, I'll go out on a limb here and say it's below 4th Street and between West Broadway and the West Side Highway.
Am I close Ethan?

Written By: Father Jones on 08/03/05 at 1:47 pm

Did you change the title of this thread, or am I blind?  I didn't see Manhattan before.  But we still don't know where it is.
:-[ :-\\ ??? ::)

Written By: EthanM on 08/03/05 at 2:24 pm

Its the new york comedy club in what i think is the union square district on 24th street between 2nd and 3rd avenue

Written By: EthanM on 08/03/05 at 2:52 pm

Directions from poughkeepsie are pretty simple. Take the metro north from poughkeepsie to grand central then take the 4 train to 23rd and park. The club is a couple of avenues to the east and one street to the north

Written By: Red Ant on 08/03/05 at 6:19 pm

Good luck Ethan and have a great time.

Written By: bobbypags on 08/04/05 at 9:19 am

Ethan, you do have a sense of humor, I'm proud of you.  Normally, I would be there but the notice is late and I have a date; and she's better looking than you.  So, the next time you're going to be performing, post it and I'll attend.
good luck,
bob

Written By: Billy Florio on 08/04/05 at 1:49 pm

you know...if it werent on my birthday itself Id come...

Written By: philbo on 08/04/05 at 4:36 pm

Hey, I'm another party pooper, too: if it weren't a few thousand miles away, I'd come...

...but blow 'em away, Ethan.  You can do it :)

Written By: jreuben on 08/05/05 at 9:42 am

Ethan, you do have a sense of humor, I'm proud of you.  Normally, I would be there but the notice is late and I have a date; and she's better looking than you.  So, the next time you're going to be performing, post it and I'll attend.
good luck,
bob

Take your date to the comedy club

Written By: 2nz on 08/05/05 at 1:26 pm

Doh, I didn't see this in time. And I was in the city too, but I was going to my last NYU class of the semester until 10pm so I'd have been quite late. Will you be doing this any other Thursdays?

Written By: EthanM on 08/05/05 at 2:23 pm

I think it went pretty well. I don't know how much of it was because the crowd knew it was my first time doing one of these things, but i felt that the crowd reacted pretty well - they laughed and clapped and someone took a picture when I was performing. Some peole told me I did  well afterwards - unfortunately no one with any influence. I was supposed to pay for myself and buy 2 drinks in exchange for my short set - which was at almost 12 midnight and not exactly to a packed house because there was a mass exodus during the few acts before mine. I probably would've gotten to go a lot sooner if I had brought anyone and if I get another one of these I'll post it here ASAP instead of 2 days in advance.

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/05/05 at 5:06 pm

Nothing beats the thrill of people applauding you for the crap you write. Really! ;)

Written By: Ansky1213 on 08/05/05 at 7:52 pm

Shoot. I would have gone, too, if I had seen this thread before. Give me a little warning next time, and I'll cheer you on!

Written By: bobbypags on 08/08/05 at 8:52 am

which was at almost 12 midnight

As opposed to 11 midnight or 1 midnight?

Written By: EthanM on 08/08/05 at 12:27 pm

I'll go with 1 midnight since 11 isn't the middle of the night

Written By: bobbypags on 08/08/05 at 3:12 pm

Ethan, midnight is always 12.

Written By: EthanM on 08/08/05 at 3:54 pm

If you want to be technical about it

Written By: bobbypags on 08/08/05 at 4:03 pm

No, I want to be accurate about it.  By the way, Noon is always 12 too. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/05 at 4:05 pm

12am = Midnight

12pm = Midday

Written By: bobbypags on 08/08/05 at 4:58 pm

Actually, neither Noon nor midnight carry an AM/PM designation.

Written By: Ansky1213 on 08/08/05 at 6:16 pm

pwned!

Written By: bobbypags on 08/09/05 at 9:34 am

Probably my ignorance, but what does "pwned" mean Charlie?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/09/05 at 2:10 pm

Noon is Midday so it is 12pm, likewise for Midnight is 12am.

Written By: bobbypags on 08/09/05 at 2:36 pm

Haha, ah no Philip.  Your answer is incorrect for obvious reasons. 

Written By: bobbypags on 08/09/05 at 2:42 pm

AM starts after Midnight, PM starts after Noon.  The definition of AM is before Noon, the definition of PM is after Noon.  (12 AM and 12 PM have no meaning.)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/05 at 2:06 am

AM starts after Midnight, PM starts after Noon.  The definition of AM is before Noon, the definition of PM is after Noon.  (12 AM and 12 PM have no meaning.)
If you say I woke up at 12, which 12 are you saying?

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 08/10/05 at 3:05 am

I believe 'pwned' was a typo by a game programmer for WarCraft or some game similar for 'owned'.
As in, 'your little tribe of orc warriors have just been pwned' or whatever. The lingo just caught on, like that Star Wars kid.

And 12 am is midnight, 12pm is midday. Look at your computer clock at these times for proof.

I've always found this stupid, though, as we go from 11 am to 12 pm to 1pm.

Written By: bobbypags on 08/10/05 at 9:07 am

Philip - no which 12 are you saying?  Midnight or Noon?

Luke, sorry, but you're wrong and so is your computer.  Look it up.  I gave you the definition of AM and PM above - is the definition wrong?

Again, 12 is neither AM nor PM - it is either Midnight or Noon. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/05 at 10:52 am

And 12 am is midnight, 12pm is midday. Look at your computer clock at these times for proof.
It has been like that for all the years I have been alive.

Written By: bobbypags on 08/10/05 at 11:26 am

There's a good excuse for not looking it up.  Hey, if you want to be wrong, no problem with me.  I've provided you with the proof, with the definitions and the obvious reasons why.  I'd be willing to make a little wager if you are so inclined?  Let's say, and Amiright T-shirt?  I should caution you that I don't open my mouth unless I'm sure and I only bet sure things - but I'm happy and more than willing to take your t-shirt.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/05 at 12:14 pm

There's a good excuse for not looking it up.  Hey, if you want to be wrong, no problem with me.  I've provided you with the proof, with the definitions and the obvious reasons why.  I'd be willing to make a little wager if you are so inclined?  Let's say, and Amiright T-shirt?  I should caution you that I don't open my mouth unless I'm sure and I only bet sure things - but I'm happy and more than willing to take your t-shirt.
Firstly can you provide you evidence please.

Written By: bobbypags on 08/10/05 at 1:11 pm

Philip, I have.  Not sure what parts of the definition AM (before noon) and PM (after Noon) you don't understand.  Once again, AM starts after midnight, PM starts after Noon.  I've given you definitions, you've given me - my computer says 12:00am.  Obviously, you haven't taken the time to look it up or we wouldn't be having this discussion.  I knew I was right from the beginning - I just gave you the benefit of the definitions.  It's not that important to me - I'll never use either incorrectly, so I'm not worried.
I'll take your response as a "no" for the bet and I hereby withdraw the offer.
Enjoy your afternoon.
bob

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/05 at 1:19 pm

Explain why the BBC has a the news at Midday at the time of 12:00pm

11:35 am CBBC Show Selecta

12:00 pm  BBC News

12:10 pm Football Focus

Found on: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcone/listings/index.shtml?service_id=4223&day=saturday

Written By: bobbypags on 08/10/05 at 1:39 pm

Philip, Philip, Philip - is a dictionary beyond your reach?  Have you typed in Noon and Midnight into Google?  The BBC is wrong.  Just because it's in print doesn't make it correct.  I read things like "center around" everyday - which is also illogical, isn't it Philip?  (because as you know, it's center on" - or have I started another thread?).

So, my question to you is:  explain why the dictionary backs me up? 

To say 12 pm is correct when "PM" means after noon is illogical - think about it - after Noon - how can Noon be after noon?  Perhaps your BBC program starts at 1 sec after Noon - 12:00:01 - then 12:00:01 PM would be correct; one second after Noon.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/05 at 1:51 pm

Philip, Philip, Philip - is a dictionary beyond your reach?  Have you typed in Noon and Midnight into Google?  The BBC is wrong.  Just because it's in print doesn't make it correct.  I read things like "center around" everyday - which is also illogical, isn't it Philip?  (because as you know, it's center on" - or have I started another thread?).

So, my question to you is:  explain why the dictionary backs me up? 

To say 12 pm is correct when "PM" means after noon is illogical - think about it - after Noon - how can Noon be after noon?  Perhaps your BBC program starts at 1 sec after Noon - 12:00:01 - then 12:00:01 PM would be correct; one second after Noon.

Tkat that up with the BBC not me please.

Written By: bobbypags on 08/10/05 at 1:54 pm

That's very funny.  No dictionary?  Couldn't find the time to search google?  Come on, I'm not getting paid to educate you.

Again, prove me wrong.  (Actually, don't bother, you'll be unsuccessful - which probably explains why you haven't looked it up yet).

Enjoy your next few hours of PM because after midnight it becomes AM.

Later,
bob

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/05 at 2:03 pm

That's very funny.  No dictionary?  Couldn't find the time to search google?  Come on, I'm not getting paid to educate you.

Again, prove me wrong.  (Actually, don't bother, you'll be unsuccessful - which probably explains why you haven't looked it up yet).

Enjoy your next few hours of PM because after midnight it becomes AM.

Later,
bob
What it is you are description is an American way for explaining time, over here in the UK it is the way I describe.

Like pants for trousers and sidewalk for pavement.

The subject is now closed.

Written By: bobbypags on 08/10/05 at 2:29 pm

Philip, good try. 

My suspicion is the definition is the same over there as it is over here.  By definition, your thinking is illogical, but you have failed to address the logic question.

So, Look it up - that's when we'll close it.  My guess is that your afraid to look it up as you will be proved wrong.  Without looking it up you can give any excuse you want.  Look at it this way, you've just learned something.

I ask you again, if the definition of PM is after Noon, how can you have Noon after Noon (12PM)?  Come on Philip, look it up - you can do it, I know you can. 

Written By: philbo on 08/10/05 at 3:45 pm

What it is you are description is an American way for explaining time, over here in the UK it is the way I describe.

Like pants for trousers and sidewalk for pavement.

The subject is now closed.

..er, not quite: as a Brit I'm completely in agreement with Bob on this one: noon is (by definition) neither am or pm; midnight (if you want to be really pedantic about it) is both.  You don't get 12am/12pm... I'm pretty sure the Today program always talks about "12 noon", not 12am or pm.  But I'll be listening out, now...

Written By: bobbypags on 08/10/05 at 4:01 pm

Well thanks Phil.  I keep telling him to look it up.

Anyway, if you're talking about the Today Show - here in the states, while the local stations will have a clock running in the corner (generally), the talking heads on the network morning shows will never say the hour, they only tell you how many minutes before or after the hour it is.  That's because it's always the same time before or after the hour throughout the US, but it might not be the same hour.

Here's another one for Philip - 8:00am in the morning is redundant.

It's 5:00pm in New York City, seven hours before midnight (which is not designated by AM nor PM).
Later
bob

Written By: philbo on 08/10/05 at 5:27 pm

Over here, "Today" is the radio 4 morning (06:00-09:00, or 6am-9am if you prefer) programme.  My usual listening to what's going on in the world as I drive to work.

Written By: bobbypags on 08/11/05 at 8:52 am

You guys have better news over there - I mean the depth of news programs are better (not that the news is necessarily better). 

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/11/05 at 1:17 pm

congrats on your performance Ethan!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.M.

According to the actual meaning of the terms ante meridiem (am) and post meridiem (pm), as well as standards bodies such as the National Institute of Standards and Technology in the United States, noon (which falls precisely at the meridiem or celestial meridian) is neither am nor pm, because noon is neither before nor after itself.

Despite this definitive logic, it is common practice in the United States to treat noon as 12:00 pm. This has been justified as a convention because the hour from 12:01 pm through 12:59 pm comes immediately afterwards (or post) the meridiem. Following this logic, in the United States it is common practice to treat midnight (which also falls precisely at the celestial meridian) as 12:00 am. These conventions nevertheless can be confusing, because the hour immediately following 11:00 am is noon, not midnight.

Written By: bobbypags on 08/11/05 at 1:40 pm

My whole argument was based on logic, definition and the fact that just because something is common practice doesn't mean it's accurate; hence my second example of "center around".  My suspicion is that you will find the same sort of "common practice" argument with "center around".  Haven't looked at an AP stylebook in a few years - a style that many newspapers throughout the country look to - but I would bet that respected newspapers such as the NY Times and the Washington Post, would never refer to 12 as am or pm.  Finally, take a show like Jeopardy, for example, an acceptable answer would be based on logic and not common practice.  You can use or invoke "common practice" all you want; I'd prefer to be accurate.

According to the actual meaning of the terms ante meridiem (am) and post meridiem (pm), as well as standards bodies such as the National Institute of Standards and Technology in the United States, noon (which falls precisely at the meridiem or celestial meridian) is neither am nor pm, because noon is neither before nor after itself.

Written By: Editor on 08/11/05 at 8:18 pm

It is not correct style to write A.M. or P.M after "12:00" because it is neither.  A.M. & P.M. fall between midnight and noon.   It is only correct to write "12:00 midnight" or "12:00 noon" to avoid confusion within a text or speech.  Does this clariffy the discourse?

Check for new replies or respond here...