inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ideas for new sections on amiright, here's a few ideas, suggest some if you want

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/10/05 at 10:20 am

this is in my "to do" list... some where suggested by people, some are my ideas...

lyrics that get stuck in your head.  I think a site does this now and calls them earworms, so maybe I should stay away from it

song titles that answer other songs: Whenever, Whenever by Shakira in response to Right Here, Right Now by Jesus Jones.  I saw a blog which has a list which were actual answer songs, a popular trend in the 50s and 60s used to piggyback on the success of other songs (ie. "You Better Shop Around" was answered by another Motown group with "Don't Let Him Shop Around")

Songs that sound like other songs:(suggested by someone)
Back on Earth - Ozzy Osbourne & I Just Want You - Ozzy Osbourne (the first bar is exactly the same in both songs)
Has Anybody Seen My Baby? - The Rolling Stones & Constant Craving - k.d. lang
Thorn Within - Metallica & Sex Type Thing - Stone Temple Pilots
Money - Pink Floyd & the theme song to Are You Being Served?
Full Circle - Aerosmith & Tuesday's Gone - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Ungrammatical lyrics", other than "ain't" or double negatives.  the "ain'ts" would just be too numerous to mention.  One example- of a non-ain't grammar error  "he know just exactly what the facts is" from Steve Miller's "Take the Money and Run".

overused lyrical cliche's (suggested by someone)
  You should start a new page concerning lyrical rhymes that should be outlawed due to overuse. Examples would be "love" rhymed with "(stars, skies, up) above", or "in the air" rhymed with "just don't care"...

anagrams of band names?  Axl Rose = Oral Sex, etc.

these are ideas I haven't done yet... if you think one sounds cool, or you think it needs more explanation let me know.  I'll try and start some of these if people think they're interesting enough.

If you want to suggest any ideas, the type of stuff I'm looking for at the moment, are pages dealing with song lyrics or band/song names.  Not to say you have to limit it to that either.  I'd love more ideas revolving around making fun of music.

Subject: Re: Ideas for new sections on amiright, here's a few ideas, suggest some if you want

Written By: Red Ant on 08/10/05 at 4:12 pm

Very good ideas ChuckyG.

A section that might be funny is a "Bad Cover Song" section that could have TOS, the original performer, the cover artist(s) and why it is a bad cover. An example:

Original Song: Sweet Child 'O Mine
Original Performer: Guns 'N Roses
Cover Artist(s): Sheryl Crow
Why it is a bad cover: Sherly sings the song with a complete lack of energy and turns a good rock song into musical mush.

Edit: Maybe a section called "Indecypherable Lyrics", lyrics that do not appear on sheet music or CD covers and cannot be made out in the song. Since one wouldn't have anything to list as they are not discernable perhaps the lyrics before (or after) that part could be listed.

My 2 cents here.

PS- For Crow fans; I like her, just not that cover.

Subject: Re: Ideas for new sections on amiright, here's a few ideas, suggest some if you want

Written By: nally on 08/10/05 at 4:32 pm

Very good ideas ChuckyG.

A section that might be funny is a "Bad Cover Song" section that could have TOS, the original performer, the cover artist(s) and why it is a bad cover. An example:

Why it is a bad cover: Sherly sings the song with a complete lack of energy and turns a good rock song into musical mush.

My 2 cents here.

I don't like that cover either. ::)

Here's one cover that I absolutely detest:

Original Song: Heaven
Original Performer: Bryan Adams
Cover Performer(s): DJ Sammy, Yanou, & Do

Why it's a bad cover: They ruined it completely! They turned a nice, gentle Bryan Adams song into a sucky dance mix. And it sounds awful! >:(

Written By: Red Ant on 08/10/05 at 4:40 pm

I don't like that cover either. ::)

Here's one cover that I absolutely detest:

Original Song: Heaven
Original Performer: Bryan Adams
Cover Performer(s): DJ Sammy, Yanou, & Do

Why it's a bad cover: They ruined it completely! They turned a nice, gentle Bryan Adams song into a sucky dance mix. And it sounds awful! >:(

Haven't heard that one, though here is another:

Original Song: All Night Long (You Shook Me)
Original Performer: AC/DC
Cover Performer(s): Celion Dion and Anastacia (VH1 Divas)

Why it is a bad cover: They butchered this rock classic, and the performance was awful! Besides, it's a song about women. Celion Dion playing air guitar was lame too.

Also, if this section gets added, I'll have to add Limp Bizkit's "Faith" and "Behind Blue Eyes" as well.

Subject: Re: Ideas for new sections on amiright, here's a few ideas, suggest some if you

Written By: Ansky1213 on 08/10/05 at 4:44 pm

Very good ideas ChuckyG.

Edit: Maybe a section called "Indecypherable Lyrics", lyrics that do not appear on sheet music or CD covers and cannot be made out in the song. Since one wouldn't have anything to list as they are not discernable perhaps the lyrics before (or after) that part could be listed.

My 2 cents here.

I love the idea of that as a section!

Original Song: Born To Run
Original Performer: Bruce Springsteen
Cover Artist: Frankie Goes To Hollywood
Why it is a bad cover: Come on! Do you really have to ask? What good songs have you heard from Frankie Goes To Hollywood recently?

Subject: Re: Ideas for new sections on amiright, here's a few ideas, suggest some if you

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/10/05 at 5:17 pm

I love the idea of that as a section!

Original Song: Born To Run
Original Performer: Bruce Springsteen
Cover Artist: Frankie Goes To Hollywood
Why it is a bad cover: Come on! Do you really have to ask? What good songs have you heard from Frankie Goes To Hollywood recently?

I've actually got a section on inthe80s for that, I don't think I did it on the other sites yet.  There's also a large site devoted to just cover songs on the web (couple of them I think).  Not sure I want to duplicate that effort or not

Written By: philbo on 08/10/05 at 5:31 pm

Yeah, me too: I like Crow, but that cover's dire.  Nearly (well, not very nearly) as bad as Britney's I Love Rock n Roll cover (which, for any newbies around, inspired this)

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 08/10/05 at 8:06 pm

...did someone mention ANAGRAMS?!
*pre-emptively fails all upcoming essays*

I did a right crapload of 'em back in Year 11 and 12 whenever I was on my monthly 9-hour train trip to see dad, but they probably got tossed out or packed away months ago, so I'll work on some more.

I do remember PRISSY TEEN BRA, though. (Phil's favourite cover-song-girl)

I can see loads of Marilyn Manson cover songs being submitted simply due to the way his delivery gives innocent lyrics a morbid twist.
However, I have to go for the biggest Anti-Christ of them all...

Original Song: I Want Candy
Original Performer: The Strangeloves
Cover Artist: Aaron Carter
Why it is a bad cover: Aaron Carter

Written By: DarkJon64 on 08/11/05 at 11:19 am

Parody authors should have to sign in to post new parodies.... it's only a matter of time before someone starts posting crap and claiming to be someone who's good!

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/11/05 at 11:36 am

Parody authors should have to sign in to post new parodies.... it's only a matter of time before someone starts posting crap and claiming to be someone who's good!

It's happened a few times, and everytime it happens it gets removed pretty quickly.  I am planning on doing something about it, since the site is getting more popular, it's getting to be more of a problem.

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/11/05 at 12:22 pm

Eh, I'm not one who think it's worth devoting a section to bad covers...there's not much point to it without being able to hear the songs in question (I am unable to surf for mp3s at work).

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/17/05 at 5:12 pm

How about a page/site devoted to alleged "hidden messages" in recordings? Backwards masking, whispered words, "hidden tracks" on CDs, encrypted phrases in lyrics sheets, even wise words etched in the inner groove of vinyl LPs...how about it?

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/17/05 at 6:48 pm

How about a page/site devoted to alleged "hidden messages" in recordings? Backwards masking, whispered words, "hidden tracks" on CDs, encrypted phrases in lyrics sheets, even wise words etched in the inner groove of vinyl LPs...how about it?

Funny you should mention that, I have several books on the subject.  Boy, the people who write that stuff are wicked whack-a-doodle-doo.

Not sure how we'd go about a section like that though.  I'd have to host sound clips (oh oh, legal problems ahead). 

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/18/05 at 12:10 pm

It would be cool to list a transcription of the perceived backwards message, followed by the procedure to find it (playing a song backwards, separating the stereo channel, etc.), followed by actual results (if anyone has cared to do it, with option for many to respond or comment about their experience).

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/22/05 at 8:16 pm

really neat idea... I love finding those, and it's fun imagining things that they really don't say.

Written By: K.Y.L.E on 08/25/05 at 6:05 pm

this is in my "to do" list... some where suggested by people, some are my ideas...

lyrics that get stuck in your head.  I think a site does this now and calls them earworms, so maybe I should stay away from it

song titles that answer other songs: Whenever, Whenever by Shakira in response to Right Here, Right Now by Jesus Jones.  I saw a blog which has a list which were actual answer songs, a popular trend in the 50s and 60s used to piggyback on the success of other songs (ie. "You Better Shop Around" was answered by another Motown group with "Don't Let Him Shop Around")

Songs that sound like other songs:(suggested by someone)
Back on Earth - Ozzy Osbourne & I Just Want You - Ozzy Osbourne (the first bar is exactly the same in both songs)
Has Anybody Seen My Baby? - The Rolling Stones & Constant Craving - k.d. lang
Thorn Within - Metallica & Sex Type Thing - Stone Temple Pilots
Money - Pink Floyd & the theme song to Are You Being Served?
Full Circle - Aerosmith & Tuesday's Gone - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Ungrammatical lyrics", other than "ain't" or double negatives.  the "ain'ts" would just be too numerous to mention.  One example- of a non-ain't grammar error  "he know just exactly what the facts is" from Steve Miller's "Take the Money and Run".

overused lyrical cliche's (suggested by someone)
  You should start a new page concerning lyrical rhymes that should be outlawed due to overuse. Examples would be "love" rhymed with "(stars, skies, up) above", or "in the air" rhymed with "just don't care"...

anagrams of band names?  Axl Rose = Oral Sex, etc.

these are ideas I haven't done yet... if you think one sounds cool, or you think it needs more explanation let me know.  I'll try and start some of these if people think they're interesting enough.

If you want to suggest any ideas, the type of stuff I'm looking for at the moment, are pages dealing with song lyrics or band/song names.  Not to say you have to limit it to that either.   I'd love more ideas revolving around making fun of music.

Reply songs:
Frankee - F.U.R.B (reply to F*** It by Eamon)
Pirates - You Should Really Know (reply to I Don't Uannaiff Know by Mario Uinansiff)

Check for new replies or respond here...