inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: amiright the magazine? - I'm gonna try this - may i use your parodies?

Written By: EthanM on 08/14/05 at 3:33 pm

I think there should be a magazine based on amiright... parodies and other music related humor. And I'm willing to do whatever is in my power to bringg such a magazine into existence. Unfortunately, such important facets of magazine creation such as the business side of things and creating a finished product that actually looks like a magazine are not in my power. Any thoughts?

Subject: Re: amiright the magazine?

Written By: marthadtox3 on 08/14/05 at 5:48 pm

greta idea ..I will give it some thought!!

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/14/05 at 9:36 pm

I think there should be a magazine based on amiright... parodies and other music related humor. And I'm willing to do whatever is in my power to bringg such a magazine into existence. Unfortunately, such important facets of magazine creation such as the business side of things and creating a finished product that actually looks like a magazine are not in my power. Any thoughts?

One of the Florio brothers I think, did some mockups of what a magazine cover of amiright would look like a year or two ago... it was funny at the time.

I've always tried to structure the site with a magazine in mind, with regular sections that are updated.  I tried to start an article repository for items that would be like a "special" every week or so, but only found one person who wanted to write anything on a regular basis.  I thought about writing more myself, but just never have the time to really devote to doing it.  It was also one of the reasons I was trying to start a links section, sort of a current events type of section for the site.

Written By: Gonfunko on 08/15/05 at 4:33 am

Good idea, but it would require a pretty significant investment of money and time. However, an AmIRight Podcast could quite easily be done for essentially free. You could sign up and cycle between podcasters on a weekly basis or so, and give a review of the new parodies, music news, mention new misheard lyrics, etc. You might even be able to get it listed in iTunes, which could drive traffic to the site. Unfortunately, it might require a separate server if it gets to popular. Just an idea. :)

Written By: EthanM on 08/15/05 at 8:36 pm

I don't understand podcasts. Especially if a separate server would be necessary. As for a magazine, i could put in the necessary time investment but not the monetary investment

Subject: Re: amiright the magazine? - I'm gonna try this - may i use your parodies?

Written By: EthanM on 08/15/05 at 9:04 pm

I'm going to start work on the "pilot issue." I know there's a very good chance this will never become a real magazine, but I'm asking all authors reading this if I may use your amiright parodies for it just in case. Also, if there are any specific ones you wouldn't want in a magazine but everything else is fine let me know here or in a message. Also let me know if there are a specific few you would prefer for me to use. Once again, I know this is a longshot but that doesn't mean its impossible or not worth trying.

Subject: Re: amiright the magazine? - I'm gonna try this - may i use your parodies?

Written By: EthanM on 08/16/05 at 6:05 pm

Ok so I'm not going alll out into this yet but i'm not giving up

Written By: Billy Florio on 08/16/05 at 8:41 pm

One of the Florio brothers I think, did some mockups of what a magazine cover of amiright would look like a year or two ago... it was funny at the time.

It was actually Xander that did it...with many suggestions by myself (Im not that good in photoshop lol).
But the magazine reference to me is that Im actually the managing editor (and former business manager) of a humor magazine  (Nonsense Humor Magazine for all that are interested). 

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/17/05 at 6:52 am

It was actually Xander that did it...with many suggestions by myself (Im not that good in photoshop lol).
But the magazine reference to me is that Im actually the managing editor (and former business manager) of a humor magazine  (Nonsense Humor Magazine for all that are interested). 

I knew you were involved somehow >grin<

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/18/05 at 12:12 pm

Ok so I'm not going alll out into this yet but i'm not giving up

If you would like to use one or two of my own parodies with full credit to me, go ahead, but let me know what you actually end up using.  8)

If this becomes an on-going reality, a renumeration for each one published would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for that to happen.

Written By: EthanM on 08/18/05 at 12:24 pm

if i can make it an ongoing reality and start making money off of it, then i'll start spreading the wealth around a little

I think the chances of a "pilot issue" (I don't know the magazine terminology so I'm using TV terms here) being made would increase greatly if a child board could be devoted to it

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/18/05 at 2:05 pm

if i can make it an ongoing reality and start making money off of it, then i'll start spreading the wealth around a little

I think the chances of a "pilot issue" (I don't know the magazine terminology so I'm using TV terms here) being made would increase greatly if a child board could be devoted to it

Hi Ethan,

I sent you a PM containing links to some of my parodies for possible publication in the magazine.

If you do decide to use one or more of my parodies, please let me know which one(s), and please do share the wealth with all of the parody authors whose parodies you include in the magazine.

Thanks & best of luck to you (and to all of us) !

Johnny D

Written By: EthanM on 08/18/05 at 2:10 pm

I got your PM and some of them will definitely make it into the first or future issues if I can make this work. Especially the poker one considering the current obsession with the "sport" which I can't say I'm free from myself.

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/20/05 at 1:07 am

Not that any of mine are magazine worthy... You can use some of mine if you felt like it...

Written By: Red Ant on 08/20/05 at 1:58 am

Most of mine would require some re-writing to be in either, that is if you wanted any in the first place. I'll volunteer Allah Paula Cheese for starters, I think it's perhaps the funniest Nirvana parody I've written and grunge/alternative submissions are going to be scarce anyway.

Written By: PRobinson on 08/22/05 at 12:55 pm

Ethan,

Sounds like an interesting idea.  I wouldn't mind you using my parodies if you wished, but I would want to be notified first.  The main reason for that is that I have changed a lot of my pieces after submitting them here.  As I reviewed them later - and especially after I starting recording voice overlays to them, I changed them to make them flow better and to be more singable...I also noticed when I had a line that didn't really ring true or work for me that when I tried to sing it I would "muffle" that part...no conviction behind it...so it needed to be changed and I changed it.  Anyway, to summarize - If you use any of mine I'd like it to be the most current revision, and that's not always what is posted here.

Thanks,

Paul R

Written By: EmiLoca on 08/22/05 at 7:16 pm

Good luck Ethan, and you may use my parodies as you wish, if you wish.  :)

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 08/22/05 at 9:46 pm

Oooh, you American parody folk are actually a protected species, aren't you?
Hoik whatever you want from me, it's not like I'd ever be allowed to publish anything even remotely parodylike down under.

*glances remeniscently at letter from Rowling's lawyers denying permission to publish*

Written By: tmayfield on 08/23/05 at 12:20 am

I don't understand podcasts. Especially if a separate server would be necessary. As for a magazine, i could put in the necessary time investment but not the monetary investment

Podcasts are just MP3 files that are pointed to with a special XML document.  It's sort of an RSS feed with a few ITunes specific tags included.  What people normally do is copy an existing XML document and just change the text they need to change.  The files can reside anywhere, but with the limited resources Chucky has to work with already, storing MP3 files that would be d/l'ed by visitors would surely tax the server.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/23/05 at 11:08 am

Podcasts are just MP3 files that are pointed to with a special XML document.  It's sort of an RSS feed with a few ITunes specific tags included.  What people normally do is copy an existing XML document and just change the text they need to change.  The files can reside anywhere, but with the limited resources Chucky has to work with already, storing MP3 files that would be d/l'ed by visitors would surely tax the server.

A podcast would probably be better than a magazine, if someone had a good voice for doing that sort of thing.

Your right though, that I couldn't handle the hosting duties for it. Plus if there was something that violated copyright by performing it, it could come back to bite me.

Written By: Gonfunko on 08/23/05 at 2:44 pm

A podcast would probably be better than a magazine, if someone had a good voice for doing that sort of thing.

Your right though, that I couldn't handle the hosting duties for it. Plus if there was something that violated copyright by performing it, it could come back to bite me.

I might actually be able to host it...after all, how popular would it be? I have 20GB of bandwith per month with my webhost, of which I only use a couple hundred megs...figure around 5-15MB per download for a normal-length podcast, it would take around 10,000 downloads to pose an issue...and 500 is probably what would realistically happen. Maybe I'll give it a shot....Any suggestions for what should be included? I was thinking one or two of the parody recordings, some discussion of a couple parodies selected with the "Random" function, and perhaps a review of the winners of the SOTM, etc.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/23/05 at 3:12 pm

I might actually be able to host it...after all, how popular would it be? I have 20GB of bandwith per month with my webhost, of which I only use a couple hundred megs...figure around 5-15MB per download for a normal-length podcast, it would take around 10,000 downloads to pose an issue...and 500 is probably what would realistically happen. Maybe I'll give it a shot....Any suggestions for what should be included? I was thinking one or two of the parody recordings, some discussion of a couple parodies selected with the "Random" function, and perhaps a review of the winners of the SOTM, etc.

You could always do something with the other sections of the site, the misheard lyrics for instance.  I know some radio station was using them (without even asking for permission or attributing them to the site) so I would imagine those may be popular. 

Written By: tmayfield on 08/23/05 at 3:50 pm

I would think it would be a good venue for focusing on new features that Chucky has completed or even a FAQ focus bit.  Might be better for the site if it draws back to the site's functionality and coolness.

Written By: EthanM on 08/23/05 at 6:26 pm

My plan for the magazine didn't involve misheard lyrics, so a podcast for that sounds like a great idea to me. But what i had in mind couldn't possibly be a podcast... far too much material

I don't suppose anyone here has connections in tthe magazine industry. If i'm wrong, let me know.

Written By: Rex on 10/28/05 at 9:49 am

Have you considered making this an online magazine? Also, you are welcome to use most of my submissions - just ask when the time comes.

Written By: EthanM on 10/28/05 at 5:17 pm

I actually hadn't thought about this in a while, but an online magazine might be the best way to get something like this started. I could still probably be in charge of content (with necessary permission) but I don't have the technical knowlede to put an online magazine together any better than I know how how to put together a print magazine.

Written By: tmayfield on 10/29/05 at 11:57 pm

I actually hadn't thought about this in a while, but an online magazine might be the best way to get something like this started. I could still probably be in charge of content (with necessary permission) but I don't have the technical knowlede to put an online magazine together any better than I know how how to put together a print magazine.

I would suggest that you put together what you can of a first issue, then let some folks see it.  That way they can at least know how much help you need or point you in the right direction.  I would think a basic html linked index to static html articles/features would suffice.  Once you have a sample one, making changes per issue would be a breeze.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/01/05 at 1:13 pm

Have you considered making this an online magazine? Also, you are welcome to use most of my submissions - just ask when the time comes.

Isn't an online magazine the same thing as a website?  not sure I see the point of pointing people to another site when it's all available online already

Written By: Rex on 11/01/05 at 1:23 pm

An online magazine is one type of website. It all has to do with the type of material presented and the way in which it is presented.

Check for new replies or respond here...