inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Password system for parody authors! Please Read.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/17/05 at 12:40 pm

Since there are a couple of troublemakers, after five years of making do without one, I've implemented a password system.

Since there are tens of thousands of parodies, and probably over one thousand authors, no system for retro-active password protection will be fool proof.  For now, how it works, is if you enter a password when submitting a parody, you'll need to enter that same password every time you submit after that.

If some joker decides to submit a parody as someone else, and sets a password when one isn't already set, I'll have to fix it manually.  I'm going to err on the side of being optimistic, and let previous authors submit a new password.  If someone decides to make trouble, then I'll probably prevent passwords from being set for authors who submitted before the password system. (Instead, those authors would need to send me an email first with a password).

I'm crossing my fingers that this goes smoothly.

Subject: Re: Password system for parody authors! Please Read.

Written By: jreuben on 08/17/05 at 3:00 pm

Since there are a couple of troublemakers, after five years of making do without one, I've implemented a password system.

Since there are tens of thousands of parodies, and probably over one thousand authors, no system for retro-active password protection will be fool proof.  For now, how it works, is if you enter a password when submitting a parody, you'll need to enter that same password every time you submit after that.

If some joker decides to submit a parody as someone else, and sets a password when one isn't already set, I'll have to fix it manually.  I'm going to err on the side of being optimistic, and let previous authors submit a new password.  If someone decides to make trouble, then I'll probably prevent passwords from being set for authors who submitted before the password system. (Instead, those authors would need to send me an email first with a password).

I'm crossing my fingers that this goes smoothly.

Chucky, I get an error when I try to submit (in IE and Firefox)  Internal Server Error...

"The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, chuck@worcestermass.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log."

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/17/05 at 6:45 pm

Chucky, I get an error when I try to submit (in IE and Firefox)  Internal Server Error...

"The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, chuck@worcestermass.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log."

That's because I'm a dork.  I made a simple change to the error message for an incorrect password without checking it first, putting my email address in there.  I always forget to escape out my @ signs in PERL.  Took me a few minutes to find that one, sorry I didn't check my messages sooner.

Written By: Billy Florio on 08/18/05 at 1:03 am

Im confused lol....

Do I need to submit a password now, or the next time that I submit a parody?

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/18/05 at 6:10 am

Im confused lol....

Do I need to submit a password now, or the next time that I submit a parody?

next time you submit a parody

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/18/05 at 7:43 am

???Either I'm confused or something didn't work. I just submitted a parody at 7:30AM CST. The password field's instructions are to leave it blank ("TEST!"), so I assumed as such. I clicked to submit, and it ran as normal, accepting the submission.

Written By: jreuben on 08/18/05 at 8:58 am

I typed in a password, blatently ignoring the test warning  :)  That seemed to work too.  Guess I'll find out next submission.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/18/05 at 9:38 am

I typed in a password, blatently ignoring the test warning  :)  That seemed to work too.  Guess I'll find out next submission.

the test warning should be gone by the time the system was working properly.  if it doesn't work for you, let me know and I'll reset the password.

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/18/05 at 8:26 pm

can you still submit a parody without a password? Please no! Because I just spent forever submitting 17 parodies for an Abbey Road parody album! At least let mine through?

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/18/05 at 8:46 pm

can you still submit a parody without a password? Please no! Because I just spent forever submitting 17 parodies for an Abbey Road parody album! At least let mine through?

yes, you can still submit without a password.  If there's a password problem, it will not even let you get past the submission screen.

Written By: Masterchiefofceremonies on 08/18/05 at 10:49 pm

I submitted a parody as "MC2" and made a password. Then I put something into the forums as MC2 and it was fine, but when I tried to enter another message it told me "The name you submitted cannot be used, because it is or contains a reserved name." What gives? (Thats why I put my name as Masterchiefofceremonies, which is what MC2 or MCMC is short for)

Written By: 2nz on 08/19/05 at 1:47 pm

I submitted a parody as "MC2" and made a password. Then I put something into the forums as MC2 and it was fine, but when I tried to enter another message it told me "The name you submitted cannot be used, because it is or contains a reserved name." What gives? (Thats why I put my name as Masterchiefofceremonies, which is what MC2 or MCMC is short for)

Were you logged in on the messageboards at the time you tried to post? There's an easy way to check: If you are NOT logged in and you try to post a response on a thread, it will ask you for your name and e-mail address on the same page that you type your response. If you ARE logged in, then it will not ask you for a name and e-mail address.

As long as you are logged in, at the top of the page under where it says 'Inthe00s' it will display your user icon and say: "Hey, (whatever your name is), you have (Some number) messages, (Some other number) are new"

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/19/05 at 3:44 pm

The messageboard and the parody password function are totally seperate.

Sounds like you weren't logged in, or your browser got some bad information or something.

Written By: PRobinson on 08/22/05 at 12:19 pm

OK,  so just to be clear: (1) You (or I, actually...lol) can still submit WITHOUT a Password, correct or no?  (2) IF you set a Password you need to use it EVERY time you submit a new piece from that point forward?  (3) If I set a password I sure hope I can remember it...(that's not really a question for you , ChuckyG). 

Probably a good idea, though...I have sometimes wondered if there was ever a problem with submission's being made under an Author name that were done by a faker - and the repercussions that could generate if it stepped on other writer's toes...

Guess I will start using it - that is, if it's working right and won't block me out...is it working OK at this point?

pr

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/22/05 at 12:44 pm

OK,  so just to be clear: (1) You (or I, actually...lol) can still submit WITHOUT a Password, correct or no?  (2) IF you set a Password you need to use it EVERY time you submit a new piece from that point forward?  (3) If I set a password I sure hope I can remember it...(that's not really a question for you , ChuckyG). 

Probably a good idea, though...I have sometimes wondered if there was ever a problem with submission's being made under an Author name that were done by a faker - and the repercussions that could generate if it stepped on other writer's toes...

Guess I will start using it - that is, if it's working right and won't block me out...is it working OK at this point?

pr

1: correct
2: correct
3: correct

To my knowledge it's working correctly.  I thought my original explanation was clear, but I guess not. 

Written By: PRobinson on 08/22/05 at 1:01 pm

1: correct
2: correct
3: correct

To my knowledge it's working correctly.  I thought my original explanation was clear, but I guess not. 

Actually, ChuckyG, it pretty much was...I just wanted to be extra-sure since once I chose a Password and started using it I would have to REMEMBER it...and I didn't want to be locked out of submitting if for some reason the feature was not working correctly.  Thanks for responding so promptly, I was still roaming around the Messageboard section when you posted your reply.

pr

Written By: tmayfield on 08/23/05 at 12:27 am

next time you submit a parody

So make sure that 'song title cop' and 'decades police' set their password on comments too...  ;-)

Check for new replies or respond here...