inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New search function for parodies, test it, let me know what you think

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/19/05 at 3:43 pm

http://www.amiright.com/parody/search/search.shtml

if it doesn't hose the server this weekend, I'll make it permanent. 

Please test it to the best of your ability, use it like you would normally use something like this.

Subject: Re: New search function for parodies, test it, let me know what you think

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/19/05 at 3:59 pm

Tested it, and it's very useful --- thanks!

However, it has some bugs and it needs some enhancements:

BUGS:

The 4th entry-slot says "Parody Song Name" but it processes parody author names

The 2nd entry-slot has an under-label that says "Who was the parody author" but it processes parody song names

If I put "Bohemian Rhapsody" in the 1st entry-slot and "Johnny D" in the 4th entry-slot, I get a list of all of the parodies of Bohemian Rhapsody by everybody who ever posted one --- not just a list of my own 9.

It seems you cannot combine search-criteria.

ENHANCEMENTS:

Allow any set of results to be sorted by original song name or parody song name or original performer or parody author.

Subject: Re: New search function for parodies, test it, let me know what you think

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/19/05 at 4:08 pm

Tested it, and it's very useful --- thanks!

However, it has some bugs and it needs some enhancements:

BUGS:

The 4th entry-slot says "Parody Song Name" but it processes parody author names

The 2nd entry-slot has an under-label that says "Who was the parody author" but it processes parody song names

If I put "Bohemian Rhapsody" in the 1st entry-slot and "Johnny D" in the 4th entry-slot, I get a list of all of the parodies of Bohemian Rhapsody by everybody who ever posted one --- not just a list of my own 9.

It seems you cannot combine search-criteria.

ENHANCEMENTS:

Allow any set of results to be sorted by original song name or parody song name or original performer or parody author.

I fixed the label issues.

The "combined" matches, was how I designed it originally, and then I broke it while trying to make the script more generic.  I'll post here when I figure out the proper solution to that.

As for sorting your results, I held off on doing that, because I want to make sure the current search isn't too taxing on the server.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/19/05 at 4:18 pm

ok.  I fixed the problem with filling in two fields, and having it require both fields.

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/19/05 at 4:35 pm

Combined criteria work now, thanks, Chucky.

The under-label "Who was the parody song"  should be  "What was the parody song"

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/19/05 at 5:17 pm

Combined criteria work now, thanks, Chucky.

The under-label "Who was the parody song"  should be  "What was the parody song"

yeah, those were all screwed up, I fixed those too...

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/19/05 at 5:21 pm

I was just doing a little testing with it, and I think this runs a lot better than the old search function as far as system resources are concerned.  Makes me want to use PHP for a few other functions around the site as well.

Written By: Red Ant on 08/20/05 at 12:09 am

Great job ChuckyG.

Written By: philbo on 08/21/05 at 5:46 pm

Excellent

(with Bill & Ted sound effects)

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/21/05 at 11:44 pm

Chucky, the new search function is a success!  You did great work, thanks very much.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/22/05 at 9:51 am

Chucky, the new search function is a success!  You did great work, thanks very much.

I'm going to begin work on a sort order function for it too.  I'll post a test link later when it's done.

I've isolated a lot of the issues with the old search, amongst them, using PERL, using the entire database instead of a subset, loading the entire thing into memory, linking to search results on every parody, etc.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/22/05 at 11:54 am

http://www.amiright.com/parody/search/search2.shtml

ok... this is the sortable version of the search program.  Let me know if you see any problems with it.  I haven't test it for performance issues, but it shouldn't be too bad.  I'll try and run some tests on it tonight before replacing the other search with it.

Written By: EmiLoca on 08/22/05 at 12:01 pm

ok... this is the sortable version of the search program.  Let me know if you see any problems with it.  I haven't test it for performance issues, but it shouldn't be too bad.  I'll try and run some tests on it tonight before replacing the other search with it.

Spiffy, thanks!  Subtitles on Original Song Title/Original Performer Name are switched, but bleh, that isn't a big deal.  This is uber helpful. 

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/22/05 at 12:02 pm

Spiffy, thanks!  Subtitles on Original Song Title/Original Performer Name are switched, but bleh, that isn't a big deal.  This is uber helpful. 

ugh, I used an old file when I made the new one... easy to fix, I'll do it ASAP

Written By: PRobinson on 08/22/05 at 12:13 pm

Just noticed it last night when I went to check for duplication on a couple of new pieces I was submitting.  Took me a minute or two to figure out what was happening, but it worked fine.  Thanks!  Good job.

pr

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/22/05 at 12:24 pm

If I put "Bohemian Rhapsody" in as the original song I want to search on, and if I click the radio-button next to parody title to sort my results by parody title, my first page of results is indeed sorted in ascending order by parody title, but when I click "Next" to go to the next page of results, the next page that comes up is not sorted by parody title.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/22/05 at 12:43 pm

If I put "Bohemian Rhapsody" in as the original song I want to search on, and if I click the radio-button next to parody title to sort my results by parody title, my first page of results is indeed sorted in ascending order by parody title, but when I click "Next" to go to the next page of results, the next page that comes up is not sorted by parody title.

ah... it's the next/previous page... it's not passing along the sort order.  should be fixed now

Check for new replies or respond here...