inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: AgeRestriction

Written By: MC2 on 08/19/05 at 8:59 pm

Not trying to be mean to the kiddies but there should be an age restriction for these things. Prime example
http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/blackeyedpeas24.shtml
I can say with some confidence that this artist was 10 years old or younger. Just a thought

Subject: Re: AgeRestriction

Written By: Arwen on 08/19/05 at 9:06 pm

No way. 

#1...how do you prove/enforce it? 

"You must be at least 27 to write parodies.  Enter your age here.  Don't lie, because that is rude."  (Sassy 10 year old enters '27,' and then clicks on 'I cross my heart and hope to die, stick a needle in my eye that I'm telling the truth' button.)

#2...and more importantly...there are plenty of 45 year old folks who couldn't even write THAT...

(www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/blackeyedpeas24.shtml)

...well...and then there are child prodigies, like EmiLoca...(I realize she's not 10...but she was probably better than many adults when she was)...

#3...who in the hell cares if you think it sucks...you don't have to read it.

Written By: Gonfunko on 08/19/05 at 9:13 pm

As it stands, anyone who isn't geezing to some degree has essentially diddly in terms of rights. The last thing we need is being told that we can't do this or that or the other thing because "you're not old enough". AmIRight is a great site - and it is because of it's openness, and it's input from all kinds of people, both young and old. Besides, as Arwen said, there would be no way to enforce such a rule - I must have signed up for hundreds of things online before I was 13 (COPPA is evil) - I'd just click the "Agree" button. In short, an age restriction of an sort is a lousy idea.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 08/19/05 at 9:20 pm

"You must be at least 27 to write parodies."

That would be a tragedy. How would we be able to see Arwen's parodies then?

...well...and then there are child prodigies, like EmiLoca... (I realize she's not 10...)

*wipes sweat from brow*

Not trying to be mean to the kiddies but there should be an age restriction for these things. Prime example
I can say with some confidence that this artist was 10 years old or younger. Just a thought

There are plenty of lousy parody artists of all ages, and how are kiddies ever going to get good if they're not allowed to post and get feedback on thier work?

Written By: MC2 on 08/19/05 at 9:41 pm

#1- What you do is ask they're age like it's not important, then after they put it in THEN tell them they are too young

More like this:

Decade:
Original Performer Name:
Original Song Name:
Top Comments:
Parody Lyrics:
Bottom Comments:

Error: You must be 10 years or older to post on this website (admit it; even YOU were fooled)

#2- Even though there are still some idiots it would seriously cut down on the stupidity

#3- Child prodigies would know to lie about they're age (I always say my birthyear is 1980 when its really 1990)

#4- I'm not trying to be rude I'm just trying to help

Written By: MC2 on 08/19/05 at 9:42 pm

As it stands, anyone who isn't geezing to some degree has essentially diddly in terms of rights. The last thing we need is being told that we can't do this or that or the other thing because "you're not old enough". AmIRight is a great site - and it is because of it's openness, and it's input from all kinds of people, both young and old. Besides, as Arwen said, there would be no way to enforce such a rule - I must have signed up for hundreds of things online before I was 13 (COPPA is evil) - I'd just click the "Agree" button. In short, an age restriction of an sort is a lousy idea.

You're completely right so maybe there could be a kids section, as there is already an adults section (whatfreaks)

Also I never said 27 I said 10, which I think is reasonable

Wow I kinda got jumped there lol

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/19/05 at 9:53 pm

has nothing to do with age... it's an incomplete parody, and should have never been added in the first place.  I was distracted today when I was approving entries (one phone call after the other) so I'd be surprised if that's the only thing that got approved today that shouldn't have.  Heck, it didn't even get proper cased on the title.  I totally didn't review this one.

They did two others which are complete, but I don't know the originals, so I don't know if the pacing is any better

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/jamelia3.shtml
http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/natashabedingfield1.shtml

Written By: MC2 on 08/19/05 at 9:57 pm

Even If it was finished it was clearly made by 2 giggling 9 year old girls (hannah and steph it seems)

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/19/05 at 10:08 pm

as far as an age restriction goes... I've been hearing that since the site started.  Someone's mom found them submitting stuff with their real name (a big no-no even for adults really).  They put the emphasis on me to police what their kids are doing online, which I find laughable.  I asked them how I should enforce an age limit for minors.  They didn't have much of answer for that except one of those "click here if you're xx" forms.  Those forms are totally not legally binding incidently.  A minor can't enter into a contract without consent from a guardian, so if they lie, there's zero recourse from anyone.  If you're kids are using the Internet without your presence and they're not yet teenagers, better install a filter or STFU when they do something they shouldn't.  I don't collect personal information, so I don't need to abide by those COPPA laws or any of the other nonsense Congress passed in regards to kids on the Net.

as for the quality issue of adult vs kids... I think if someone makes a concerned effort to write an entire parody (and didn't just rip it off) it should be availble for review.  I'd allow the adult stuff on the amiright domain, but the filtering companies would ban the site for a lot of people, even if it was behind an adults only section.  That's really the harshest rule for submitting.  If you look at the rules, aside from the adult content rule, most of the rules are about formatting your parody properly (make sure there's line feeds for every line, do the entire song, etc). 

I've been online since I was at least 14 (I'm 33 now, so I've probably been doing this online stuff longer than some of the site visitors have been alive).  I was running a BBS when I was 16 (a lot like running a site like this one, and one of the reasons I run a site).  Unless I told people how old I was, they had no idea I wasn't as old or older than them.  That right there is the main reason I allow kids to submit. Let their work stand for itself.  If it's bad, people will tell them, and if they're interested enough, they'll improve.  I doubt there's many submitters younger than 12 here anyways.

Written By: MC2 on 08/19/05 at 10:09 pm

"There are plenty of lousy parody artists of all ages, and how are kiddies ever going to get good if they're not allowed to post and get feedback on thier work?"

These 2 girls arent lousy thats what I'm saying, they're just obvioulsy very young. Ex.Instead of "father father father help us", they wrote -mother mother mother help us- for no reason except the fact that they're preteen minds thought of that as a parody

Written By: MC2 on 08/19/05 at 10:49 pm

as far as an age restriction goes... I've been hearing that since the site started.  Someone's mom found them submitting stuff with their real name (a big no-no even for adults really).  They put the emphasis on me to police what their kids are doing online, which I find laughable.  I asked them how I should enforce an age limit for minors.  They didn't have much of answer for that except one of those "click here if you're xx" forms.  Those forms are totally not legally binding incidently.  A minor can't enter into a contract without consent from a guardian, so if they lie, there's zero recourse from anyone.  If you're kids are using the Internet without your presence and they're not yet teenagers, better install a filter or STFU when they do something they shouldn't.  I don't collect personal information, so I don't need to abide by those COPPA laws or any of the other nonsense Congress passed in regards to kids on the Net.

as for the quality issue of adult vs kids... I think if someone makes a concerned effort to write an entire parody (and didn't just rip it off) it should be availble for review.  I'd allow the adult stuff on the amiright domain, but the filtering companies would ban the site for a lot of people, even if it was behind an adults only section.  That's really the harshest rule for submitting.  If you look at the rules, aside from the adult content rule, most of the rules are about formatting your parody properly (make sure there's line feeds for every line, do the entire song, etc). 

I've been online since I was at least 14 (I'm 33 now, so I've probably been doing this online stuff longer than some of the site visitors have been alive).  I was running a BBS when I was 16 (a lot like running a site like this one, and one of the reasons I run a site).  Unless I told people how old I was, they had no idea I wasn't as old or older than them.  That right there is the main reason I allow kids to submit. Let their work stand for itself.  If it's bad, people will tell them, and if they're interested enough, they'll improve.  I doubt there's many submitters younger than 12 here anyways.

Well what the idea of adding a kids only section, like whatfreaks for kids. also, I'm not talking about 14 and under, I mean more like 10 and under. I'm 15 now and I know exactly where you're coming from

Written By: Gonfunko on 08/19/05 at 11:51 pm

Well what the idea of adding a kids only section, like whatfreaks for kids. also, I'm not talking about 14 and under, I mean more like 10 and under. I'm 15 now and I know exactly where you're coming from

IMHO, a kids-only section is a bad idea too, if for no other reason than that it's demeaning and discriminatory, in the same fashion as "children's menus". (No, I DO NOT want french fries at a Chinese restaurant!) Sorry for the two-sentence mini-rant...I'm just very opinionated on this matter.

Written By: Red Ant on 08/20/05 at 12:21 am

Someone's mom found them submitting stuff with their real name (a big no-no even for adults really). 

I thought submitting under your real name would strengthen copyright claims. What are the negatives or am I completely missing something here?

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 08/20/05 at 12:33 am

Um, probably just the fact that their kids were using their real names on the internet, which is a mass magnet for paedophiles.

AmIRight, Emi?

Written By: EmiLoca. on 08/20/05 at 12:34 am

Get away from me, freak.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/20/05 at 5:42 am

I thought submitting under your real name would strengthen copyright claims. What are the negatives or am I completely missing something here?

no, though that is certainly something to keep in mind too.  The problem is with allowing personal information out there, if they mention their real name and in the parody or the comments said what town they lived in, it could allow pervs to target them a little better.  Still a pretty minor concern.

Written By: MC2 on 08/20/05 at 11:52 am

IMHO, a kids-only section is a bad idea too, if for no other reason than that it's demeaning and discriminatory, in the same fashion as "children's menus". (No, I DO NOT want french fries at a Chinese restaurant!) Sorry for the two-sentence mini-rant...I'm just very opinionated on this matter.

Is Whatfreaks discriminating to adults???

Written By: EmiLoca on 08/20/05 at 11:18 pm

Is Whatfreaks discriminating to adults???

Whatfreaks is not discriminatory, rather, it caters to adult humor that children are normally not exposed to until they are of a certain age.  AmIRight caters to a wider range of tastes and - yes - it even caters to kiddies. 

It seems as though you are most concerned with the idiotic content of said parody, rather than the ages of the author(s).  If so, it would be more beneficial if the form were as such:

Decade:
I.Q.:
Parody Author Name:
Original Performer Name:
Original Song Name:
Top Comments:
Parody Lyrics:
Bottom Comments:

My first parodies on AmIRight were horrendous, but apparently now I'm regarded as a child prodigy - and this was all due to the exposure of my work and feedback from more elderly experienced authors (and the occasional fellow child prodigy).  :)

The children are our future.  Let them suck at an early age so that, come adulthood, they will either cure alzheimers or write really excellent song parodies (I took the latter path -  while my colleagues are doing stem-cell research, I'm writing lame political parodies supporting their cause.  I'm telling you, medicine and internet humor are practically symbiotic). 

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 08/21/05 at 1:54 am

^ Yeesh. Get away from me, freak.

Written By: Arwen on 08/21/05 at 2:11 am

These 2 girls arent lousy thats what I'm saying, they're just obvioulsy very young. Ex.Instead of "father father father help us", they wrote -mother mother mother help us- for no reason except the fact that they're preteen minds thought of that as a parody

If you're not saying they're lousy...are you saying they're good?  If so, why should we be deprived of their talent, simply because they are younger than we are?

And I have to ask...if a 19 year old person wrote "mother mother mother help us," because their lateteen mind thought of it as a parody, it would be less stupid?  Or, more funny?  Or...well...you've lost me...

There are always going to be parodists out there whose work you don't like.  You may think it is immature, or badly paced, or distasteful, or too focused on LOTR...but the bottom line is that it won't have anything to do with how old they are.  If you think it does...you're wrong.  If I had posted that parody...(and everyone here KNOWS that I'm a genius and an adult)...you still would have thought that it sucked.   

p.s. Yes, Luke, you get some kudos for your 'but then how would we get to read Arwen's stuff' comment... :-*

Written By: PRobinson on 08/22/05 at 12:47 pm

Whatfreaks is not discriminatory, rather, it caters to adult humor that children are normally not exposed to until they are of a certain age.  AmIRight caters to a wider range of tastes and - yes - it even caters to kiddies. 

It seems as though you are most concerned with the idiotic content of said parody, rather than the ages of the author(s).  If so, it would be more beneficial if the form were as such:

Decade:
I.Q.:
Parody Author Name:
Original Performer Name:
Original Song Name:
Top Comments:
Parody Lyrics:
Bottom Comments:

My first parodies on AmIRight were horrendous, but apparently now I'm regarded as a child prodigy - and this was all due to the exposure of my work and feedback from more elderly experienced authors (and the occasional fellow child prodigy).  :)

The children are our future.  Let them suck at an early age so that, come adulthood, they will either cure alzheimers or write really excellent song parodies (I took the latter path -  while my colleagues are doing stem-cell research, I'm writing lame political parodies supporting their cause.  I'm telling you, medicine and internet humor are practically symbiotic). 

Good points, all, Emi - especially liked the "IQ" item you subbed in... ;D  Yes, we should let the younger writer's post, and give them honest and fair appraisals of their work (maybe a little more gently, though).  I look back on my earlier postings here...not bad, but I'm doing a lot better work now, with a lot less strain involved in doing so. And I was quite a bit past the point of being considered a "Child Prodigy" of any type...53 years and 7+ months when I first began to submit parodies here.  The feedback I received then was very important, but without the support & encouragement that came with it I might not have continued writing past the first 10 or so.   Hey, I just considered the possibility I might eventually be among the first writer's here to still be submitting parodies AND have Alzheimer's at the same time...it seems to run in my family, although not until folks get to at least 80+ years...although I have also pondered whether I might lower that age bar somewhat due to some of the "extra-curricular" activities I engaged in during my extended youth...brains cells were singed or outright burned - I am certain of this...

pr    ;)

Written By: MC2 on 08/22/05 at 5:23 pm

If you're not saying they're lousy...are you saying they're good?  If so, why should we be deprived of their talent, simply because they are younger than we are?

And I have to ask...if a 19 year old person wrote "mother mother mother help us," because their lateteen mind thought of it as a parody, it would be less stupid?  Or, more funny?  Or...well...you've lost me...

There are always going to be parodists out there whose work you don't like.  You may think it is immature, or badly paced, or distasteful, or too focused on LOTR...but the bottom line is that it won't have anything to do with how old they are.  If you think it does...you're wrong.  If I had posted that parody...(and everyone here KNOWS that I'm a genius and an adult)...you still would have thought that it sucked.   

p.s. Yes, Luke, you get some kudos for your 'but then how would we get to read Arwen's stuff' comment... :-*

I'm not saying either. I'm saying they will be good enough to post after they reach 10. Parodies are best when people know more about the subject they are writing about. 10 year olds don't know much about anything. I GET THE POINT. THERE ARE CHILD PRODIGIES. But there are also children who think changing each individual word into the opposite of itself is a parody. I like EmiLoca's IQ idea

Written By: Arwen on 08/22/05 at 6:17 pm

I like EmiLoca's IQ idea

Do you like the fact that her idea was sarcastic? 

Written By: EmiLoca on 08/22/05 at 7:14 pm

Thanks, you peachy PRobby.  Don't worry - as soon as they develop a cure, I'll tell you...and remind you every ten minutes. 

Unintelligence knows no bounds, MC2.  An age restriction would fail (going back to your original idea for submission fields, an "Error" message would merely prompt the child to click that handy BACK button and resubmit an acceptable age) and prove truly uneffective as far as keeping out some truly 1-worthy parodies.  It wouldn't take a child prodigy to figure that out.

Think about this: if a person submitted and resubmitted work while continually getting negative feedback, there's a good chance that they would stop altogether.  If they received helpful feedback, they could use it to further improve their writing skills and perhaps become the next Arwen (or just become a hapless suck-up like me). 

By the way, MC2, my I.Q. addition was a sarcastic substitution.  This isn't MENSAmIRight...or Men's AmIRight...uhhh...that was lame. God, that's just...yeesh. I'm sorry. 

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 08/22/05 at 9:42 pm

^For everything on this page.
;D
Hahahahaha.

Written By: Arwen on 08/23/05 at 10:42 am

This isn't MENSAmIRight...or Men's AmIRight...uhhh...that was lame.

Yeah it was.  What are you, like 12 years old?  I think there should be an age requirement for trying to post hilarious comments.  And don't go trying to get someone who is "legal" to submit hilarious comments for you.  We will know. 

If they received helpful feedback, they could use it to further improve their writing skills and perhaps become the next Arwen...

Where in the hell (I can swear, because I'm an adult) is the flattered emoticon??

Written By: tmayfield on 08/23/05 at 4:57 pm

So what we've decided, I guess, is that age can't be the determining factor.  Maybe we can have everyone write an 10 page essay explaining how rocket fuel played a factor in the Pentium computer CPU or how to cure the worldwide problem of the prolific parody posting syndrome, or ask them to recall their feelings when Reagan was shot and how it changed their taste for Doritos.  ::)

Written By: philbo on 08/23/05 at 6:00 pm

Um, probably just the fact that their kids were using their real names on the internet, which is a mass magnet for paedophiles.

My eldest two children posted their first joint parody here when they were 9&10 - under a pseudonym (that they chose for themselves without checking with their father, surprisingly enough)

I'd hate to say "thou shalt not for thou art too young" to them.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 08/24/05 at 3:08 am

My eldest two children posted their first joint parody here when they were 9&10 - under a pseudonym (that they chose for themselves without checking with their father, surprisingly enough)

I'd hate to say "thou shalt not for thou art too young" to them.

In other words, they've been submitting parodies under your name whilst you claim all the credit.  ;)

Written By: EmiLoca on 08/24/05 at 7:02 am

In other words, they've been submitting parodies under your name whilst you claim all the credit.  ;)

That's not allowed?  :-\\

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/24/05 at 12:21 pm

Hey, I just considered the possibility I might eventually be among the first writer's here to still be submitting parodies AND have Alzheimer's at the same time...it seems to run in my family, although not until folks get to at least 80+ years...although I have also pondered whether I might lower that age bar somewhat due to some of the "extra-curricular" activities I engaged in during my extended youth...brains cells were singed or outright burned - I am certain of this...

Latest research indicates that seniors who continue to stay mentally active, tend to delay the onset of alzheimer's. They looked at people whose families have a history of Alzheimer's and compared who was still active, who wasn't, etc.

So the site might actually help prevent it.  We'll know for sure in 30 years or so I guess.

yikes, I can't imagine the site being around in 30 years.  I'm still in shock that inthe80s has been around for over 10 now.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 08/24/05 at 1:56 pm

My eldest two children posted their first joint parody here when they were 9&10...

I'm sorry, but I really don't think cannabis is an appropriate subject for 9 and 10 year olds to be writing parodies about.

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/24/05 at 2:31 pm

I'm sorry, but I really don't think cannabis is an appropriate subject for 9 and 10 year olds to be writing parodies about.

Well, Leo, perhaps The Joint Chiefs of Staff should bring up the matter in front of a Joint Session of Congress. 

But, then again, if they did, it would probably be defeated by a philliebluntster in The House of Hempresentatives.

Written By: philbo on 08/24/05 at 3:44 pm

In other words, they've been submitting parodies under your name whilst you claim all the credit. ;)

Not quite...  A shame, really: this had a couple of dozen good votes before they got wiped :-(

Would more likely have been about getting drunk... while they (in theory, anyway) don't have any experience in the matter, they both do a pretty good impression

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 08/24/05 at 10:20 pm

LOL Leo.

That parody was so cute. And they're pretty smart, predicting Ron and Hermione in a bath together...

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/24/05 at 11:19 pm

So what we've decided, I guess, is that age can't be the determining factor.  Maybe we can have everyone write an 10 page essay explaining how rocket fuel played a factor in the Pentium computer CPU or how to cure the worldwide problem of the prolific parody posting syndrome, or ask them to recall their feelings when Reagan was shot and how it changed their taste for Doritos.  ::)

uh... no thanks.

Written By: EmiLoca on 08/25/05 at 3:25 pm

Not quite... 

Is that the rank stench of CHILD PRODIGY, or do I have last night's calamari to blame? 

Naw, that's so cute...

Written By: K.Y.L.E on 08/25/05 at 6:11 pm

Any parodies that are DIRTY go to http://www.whatfreaks.com.

THEY are by the same company as amIright, and accept dirty parodies, whereas amIright don't.

Written By: MC2 on 08/26/05 at 4:24 pm

Okay okay I give up, all of you win, stupid idea, I'm evil and uncaring  :\'(

Written By: philbo on 08/26/05 at 5:35 pm

Is that the rank stench of CHILD PRODIGY, or do I have last night's calamari to blame?

Naw, that's so cute...

My eldest has written some extremely good songs - that one doesn't really count as one, though ;)  I think they did come up with it in the bath, though...

Written By: EmiLoca on 08/26/05 at 11:59 pm

THASS RIGHT, STEP DOWN.  ;D 

No hard feelings.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 08/27/05 at 1:08 am

Now you can write a parody about how much of a scum-sucking rodent you are!  ;D
Chin up, there have been plenty of inane suggestions before.

"Let's try Cola as a contraceptive!"
- Luke's parents

Written By: EmiLoca on 08/27/05 at 7:18 am

Now you can write a parody about how much of a scum-sucking rodent you are!  ;D
Chin up, there have been plenty of inane suggestions before.

"Let's try Cola as a contraceptive!"
- Luke's parents

"Let's not go through with that abortion!"
- Emi's birthmother

Written By: PRobinson on 08/29/05 at 11:28 am

Latest research indicates that seniors who continue to stay mentally active, tend to delay the onset of alzheimer's. They looked at people whose families have a history of Alzheimer's and compared who was still active, who wasn't, etc.

So the site might actually help prevent it.  We'll know for sure in 30 years or so I guess.

yikes, I can't imagine the site being around in 30 years.  I'm still in shock that inthe80s has been around for over 10 now.

Yeah, the thought that preceeded that comment of mine was kind of a mind-bender to me...but I thought it pretty funny, too.  Yes, mental activity IS a good preventative measure that seems to delay the onset of Alzheimer's.  It crosses my mind a bit because my Dad (90 yrs-old now) is in Early Stages and right now really has nothing to occupy his time.  I've tried to interest him in 'new' stuff,  because he still has quite a bit of memory left, it just comes and goes during the day.  But he isn't up to anything new.  Best thing I've found so far is DVD's with music he is familiar with...Nat King Cole, Sinatra, etc.  Couldn't really get him interested in parodies, though...not really a "Parody" person..."Non-Parody" persons tend to look at you like you are nuts when you show them parodies even if they are NOT suffering from any particular memory problem... :D

Thanks, ChuckyG

pr

Written By: MC2 on 09/17/05 at 4:44 pm

well at least I'm not getting ganged up on anymore lol

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 09/17/05 at 11:31 pm

;D

Check for new replies or respond here...