inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Parody reassignment?

Written By: bobbypags on 08/25/05 at 10:39 am

Chuck:
I am in the process of applying for copyright registration for several of my parodies.  There are two parodies, which I published under the name "Kimba T. Dogg", that I'm going to register with the copyright office under the author name "Robert J. Pagliaro".  So, is it possible to change the author of these two on the site from "Kimba T. Dogg" to "Robert J. Pagliaro"?  (I don't care whether the vote count follows, my concern is the attribution.)
The parodies are:

"Hussein" and "George Bush's Flack"

If this can be done, no hurry. 
Thanks
bob

Subject: Re: Parody reassignment?

Written By: Arwen on 08/25/05 at 11:20 am

I would also like several parodies that were originally attributed to...let me see...oh yeah, Spaff.com, switched over to my name as soon as possible... ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/25/05 at 12:10 pm

Chuck:
I am in the process of applying for copyright registration for several of my parodies.  There are two parodies, which I published under the name "Kimba T. Dogg", that I'm going to register with the copyright office under the author name "Robert J. Pagliaro".  So, is it possible to change the author of these two on the site from "Kimba T. Dogg" to "Robert J. Pagliaro"?  (I don't care whether the vote count follows, my concern is the attribution.)
The parodies are:

Thanks
bob

I don't usually do it, I have people re-submit them and then have the old ones removed.  If you can wait, I can try and change them for you in a week or two

Written By: bobbypags on 08/25/05 at 12:20 pm

Sorry - I almost mentioned that as an option.  If you would prefer, I have no problem with them being deleted and then I would resubmit under the name with which I will copyright.  (I would just need to copy them before they're deleted as I may not have any other records.)
Let me know what works best - makes no difference to me.
Thanks
bob

Written By: Mistress Leola on 08/25/05 at 12:57 pm

Chuck:
The parodies are:

Thanks
bob

You're Kimba?  You old Dogg.  What is it with you people and the multiple personalities?

Written By: bobbypags on 08/25/05 at 1:14 pm

Well, Kimba is actually my dog - I didn't realize that it was any secret.  But when I register the copyright under RJP, I don't want to have the tune(s) out there with two different authors, if I can help it.

"What is it with you people" - do you mean dogs, Italians, liberals, New Yorkers, those over 40?  I elected not to post parodies under my name when the finished product was not up to my standards but that I also felt were ok enough to actually release.

Actually, now that I think of it - I should probably move "Mantle" too.  Don't worry, if I do, I'll still give credit to you as having the idea; as I should.

bob

Written By: Arwen on 08/25/05 at 2:31 pm

"What is it with you people" - do you mean dogs, Italians, liberals, New Yorkers, those over 40?  I elected not to post parodies under my name when the finished product was not up to my standards but that I also felt were ok enough to actually release.

I think Leo was actually looking in the mirror while he posed his question, Bob...

Written By: bobbypags on 08/25/05 at 2:49 pm

You mean there's another 40-year old Italian liberal with a dog living in New York City?  Look out Red States, we're on a roll.

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/26/05 at 10:48 am

Does it matter to the copyright office what name the author publicly uses for works? I mean, that's the whole point of pseudonyms and pen names, isn't it? Look at Stephen "Richard Bachman" King, for example. Or am I totally misunderstanding what Bobby P. is asking here? :-\\

Written By: bobbypags on 08/26/05 at 10:58 am

No, you put down what you want on the application.  But that's my point, when I register these three, I want to register them under "Robert J. Pagliaro"; though they were originally posted under "Kimba T. Dogg".  The copyright office required two copies of the work - I generally send them two printouts of the work as it appears on the site - shows it is published.  So, if I'm going to send them copies from the site, and I want it registered under a different name than posted - I have to change the poster.

I could register them with the Copyright office under "Kimba T. Dogg" - I've just decided not to.  (so it's an author preference).  (Others, I will register under the Dog's name)

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/26/05 at 11:21 am

Chuck:
The parodies are:

Thanks
bob

doing two is as easy as doing all of them.  Did you just want these two? please let me know ASAP

if anyone else needs a name change (not lyrics or comments), let me know

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/26/05 at 11:27 am

Hm. Does this mean I would have trouble submitting my work to the copyright office as my true name  with all the "Copyright 200X, Agrimorfee" things I tagged? ???

Written By: bobbypags on 08/26/05 at 11:44 am

Thanks - please add "Mantle" ("Mantle", "Hussein" and "George Bush's Flack").

Thanks.
bob

Written By: bobbypags on 08/26/05 at 11:48 am

Agrim - no, you can submit any way you want to and there's a space there for pseudonyms (I think).  Theoretically, it could be listed one way on the site and registered to another name - on the application you would list other names for the author. 

As I said, it's really a personal thing.  (I had reasons for posting them that way at the time; now I have other reasons for the name change.)  But I may still register some under the dog's name.

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/26/05 at 12:16 pm

Agrim - no, you can submit any way you want to and there's a space there for pseudonyms (I think).  Theoretically, it could be listed one way on the site and registered to another name - on the application you would list other names for the author. 
thanks!

Written By: bobbypags on 08/26/05 at 12:49 pm

Agrim - check an earlier thread - sometime this summer - I believe that I posted a copy of a completed copyright registration application (or go to their website) - to check for the "alternate names" space.

Check for new replies or respond here...