inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Comment spam, YOU HAVE TO REPORT IT QUICKLY!

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/08/05 at 8:19 pm

I got sent the URL to a couple parodies no one ever reported comment spam on, and they were filled with it.  When a parody doesn't have comment spam removed from it, the spammers see the spam took, and spam the heck out of it.

Subject: Re: Comment spam, YOU HAVE TO REPORT IT QUICKLY!

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 09/08/05 at 11:06 pm

When a parody doesn't have comment spam removed from it, the spammers see the spam took, and spam the heck out of it.

*struggling with concept*
so..........the fact nobody's noticed and removed the spam means nobody is reading that parody - so that page has become a consumer wasteland - a dead carcass swinging in the breeze, tumbleweeds, creaking old saloon doors rusty at the hinges, wind whistling through the derelict old verandahs, etc - which makes it therefore the perfect place to post hundreds more "enlarge-your-penis" ads

is there something about the point of spam that I'm missing ???

Written By: Red Ant on 09/08/05 at 11:41 pm

Most of it is easily spotted in the "latest comments" using CTRL +F4 and doing a search for obvious "spam" words, like "poker" for instance.

I usually read the "latest comments" every other day since they stay up for that long anyway.

It doesn't take that long to report them, just a code name I use in the name field and "spam" in the comment field, submit.

Keep in mind whatfreaks lost the option for comments because of unreported spam. Passwords or registration for casual commenters will in all likelyhood decrease the number of comments we get.

Note to all: I am not the "comment/spelling/decade/parody/etc. police" or anything of the sort, and could care less about decade complaints, *mild* profanity, running conversations or blogs (which have been posted mainly on political pieces).

A shame we can't reverse spam them with Phil's parody-apparently everyone hates spammers:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/thebeatles126.shtml

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/09/05 at 7:08 am

*struggling with concept*
so..........the fact nobody's noticed and removed the spam means nobody is reading that parody - so that page has become a consumer wasteland - a dead carcass swinging in the breeze, tumbleweeds, creaking old saloon doors rusty at the hinges, wind whistling through the derelict old verandahs, etc - which makes it therefore the perfect place to post hundreds more "enlarge-your-penis" ads

is there something about the point of spam that I'm missing ???

as long as a comment isn't removed, the spammer sees their crap on the page and figures "free lunch"  Even if the page gets one hit every ten years, they don't care.  Their hoping a site with a good page rank will help improve their odds in the search engines.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 09/09/05 at 10:50 am

as long as a comment isn't removed, the spammer sees their crap on the page and figures "free lunch"  Even if the page gets one hit every ten years, they don't care.  Their hoping a site with a good page rank will help improve their odds in the search engines.

It's a bit like why do 7th Day Adventists still knock on doors, when it pisses off 99% of people who would have been neutral to them otherwise - self-defeating

I know the rules of physics/philosophy allow for such logic, but surely only in some sort of parallel universe

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 09/11/05 at 2:15 am

a site with a good page rank will help improve their odds in the search engines.

Oh, Chucky, your daily hit counter is sooo big.
*batters eyelids seductively*

;)
I'll be sure to keep an eye out for crap filling up parody comment areas.

Check for new replies or respond here...