inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Parody Titles

Written By: Mr Nice Guy on 10/03/05 at 12:13 pm

Good evening.

I would really like to get a message across to all you brilliant parody authors.

When writing a parody, the title can be just as important as the rest of the song, and usually is moreso. When someone like me browses the new parodies every three or four days, they will find a LOT of new songs, and I'd be very surprised if anyone had time to read all of them. Going trhough a long list, I find myself looking for songs in which the parody TITLE makes me laugh, as that is usually a good sign that the song will do the same. A lot of great songs unfortunately don't have titles which are as eye-catching and I fear I've missed out on some good parodies.

I realize that it can be tough to title a song in a strategically humorous fashion, especially if the title is also part of the lyrics and it doesn't make sense to change it from what it should logically be. However, in some cases you should definitely ask yourself - if the title isn't really that funny, shoul I even bother with this one? Or alternatively, Could I use a different name for it?

The visitor to the site will give your song about a half a second to judge whether or not to open it - make it count!

-Ming

Subject: Re: Parody Titles

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/03/05 at 12:49 pm

Good evening.

I would really like to get a message across to all you brilliant parody authors.

When writing a parody, the title can be just as important as the rest of the song, and usually is moreso. When someone like me browses the new parodies every three or four days, they will find a LOT of new songs, and I'd be very surprised if anyone had time to read all of them. Going trhough a long list, I find myself looking for songs in which the parody TITLE makes me laugh, as that is usually a good sign that the song will do the same. A lot of great songs unfortunately don't have titles which are as eye-catching and I fear I've missed out on some good parodies.

I realize that it can be tough to title a song in a strategically humorous fashion, especially if the title is also part of the lyrics and it doesn't make sense to change it from what it should logically be. However, in some cases you should definitely ask yourself - if the title isn't really that funny, shoul I even bother with this one? Or alternatively, Could I use a different name for it?

The visitor to the site will give your song about a half a second to judge whether or not to open it - make it count!

-Ming

I'll second that.  I know when I'm looking at the site after an update to make sure everything went up ok (which it hasn't lately, but that's another discussion), if I see a funny title I'll sometimes click on it and read it again (since I'm just skimming them when I approve them).

Written By: Rick Cormier on 10/03/05 at 1:59 pm

I'll third that. In fact, I often come up with a funny (I hope) title first. Then, I write the parody around the title.

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/03/05 at 5:15 pm

Sometimes being obvious with the title gives away the joke or jokes. Hence, Weird Al's "A Complicated Song" for "Complicated", or my own "The Story of Dumbo" for David Bowie's "Golden Years".

Written By: Rick Cormier on 10/03/05 at 5:24 pm

Sometimes being obvious with the title gives away the joke or jokes. Hence, Weird Al's "A Complicated Song" for "Complicated", or my own "The Story of Dumbo" for David Bowie's "Golden Years".
Agri, most of the time my jokes suck so, I don't mind giving them away!

Written By: Red Ant on 10/03/05 at 6:53 pm

Well I try to title mine to be as close to the original as possible most of the time, but good idea; I had one last week that was "interesting" anyway:

"Zero Sense Parody: WTH was Kurt Singing?"

Check for new replies or respond here...