inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Should I randomize the new parody list on the front of the site?

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/07/05 at 11:42 am

Right now, it's reverse sorted by the original song title.  I'm wondering if people think I should randomize it, or maybe set it up like the author pages (with the sortable tables).

Has anyone noticed an increase in votes/comments for a parody about a song beginning with a Y or Z?

Subject: Re: Should I randomize the new parody list on the front of the site?

Written By: K1chyd on 10/07/05 at 11:55 am

Right now, it's reverse sorted by the original song title.  I'm wondering if people think I should randomize it.

Yes!

...or maybe set it up like the author pages (with the sortable tables).

Interesting idea, but as it's for the front page I'd have to say (from the top of my head) no!

If there's a way to put parodies to songs that are on the current billboard top 40 on top of "our" list too that might be good for the site (trafficwise) though.

Has anyone noticed an increase in votes/comments for a parody about a song beginning with a Y or Z?

I haven't counted votes/comments, and I haven't taken statistics, but I am under the distinct impression that there are more parodies done to original songs beginning with S-Z than to ditto beginning with the first letters in the alphabet...

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/07/05 at 12:23 pm

If there's a way to put parodies to songs that are on the current billboard top 40 on top of "our" list too that might be good for the site (trafficwise) though.

since those types of charts are usually copyrighted, I'd have to pay someone for using it, which I think would outweigh the potential traffic brought in by it.

I haven't counted votes/comments, and I haven't taken statistics, but I am under the distinct impression that there are more parodies done to original songs beginning with S-Z than to ditto beginning with the first letters in the alphabet...

I wonder if that's just because more songs start with those letters, or if people are picking them to try and show up higher in the list.

Written By: 2nz on 10/07/05 at 12:43 pm

Right now, it's reverse sorted by the original song title.  I'm wondering if people think I should randomize it, or maybe set it up like the author pages (with the sortable tables).

Randomizing it at the beginning would be a nice touch. It would discourage people from writing specific songs just to get higher on the list. And it would also give everyone a shot at being on top and getting, although this is arguable, 'the most exposure that day'.

I don't think there's any need for a user-driven sorting function. The only days where it would become useful are heavy submission days where the list is too large and may appear daunting without a search function. This doesn't occur on most days which is why I don't think it's needed.

In my opinion, you might want to consider adding a sorting function to the 'new entries' section of the website if anything. When you go there, the parodies are sorted by day, and then on the individual day they are sorted as they appeared when they were submitted. You could put in a sorting function similar to the general search option that we now have, and which by the way works very well.

Keep up the good work, Chucky.

Written By: Red Ant on 10/07/05 at 3:18 pm

Random would be nice; when I was considering doing another "American Pie" parody I thought as listing it as "Zmerican Pie" (typo for the "A') just to top the list. Of course, I won't. ;)

I think by when they are submitted time-wise would be better maybe, the last entry received for a given day would be on the bottom of the list (sort of like first come, first serve).

As far as choosing songs that have latter letters in the alphabet to get farther up on the front page, I don't even consider that, though the parody title might be selected for specific ABC comps.

One thing also is that paranthetical titles and number songs shouldn't really appear at the bottom of the list like now, which a random or list by time submission format would eliminate.

Written By: Peregrin on 10/07/05 at 5:00 pm

YOU BET !  Please randomize it!  :o

M&P recognized the value of the end of the alphabet ages ago, we even immortalized it in song  ;D ;D ;D

A W Or Y Song

So please, put them in a blender and the spill them on the page, because it is frustrating to do am early alphabet song, and see it get far less attention  :) :)  I don't think the sortable tables though, just the 52-pick up approach would be fine  ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/07/05 at 6:11 pm

YOU BET !  Please randomize it!  :o

M&P recognized the value of the end of the alphabet ages ago, we even immortalized it in song  ;D ;D ;D

A W Or Y Song

So please, put them in a blender and the spill them on the page, because it is frustrating to do am early alphabet song, and see it get far less attention  :) :)  I don't think the sortable tables though, just the 52-pick up approach would be fine  ;)

if it's really that obvious (you seem to be the only ones to notice it so far) I could always make it randomize the order every hour or something

Written By: nally on 10/07/05 at 7:03 pm

if it's really that obvious (you seem to be the only ones to notice it so far) I could always make it randomize the order every hour or something

Hmmm... randomization... maybe that's why I couldn't open up the "new entries" page today. :-\\ I look at it every couple days or so, just to see if there's anything interesting.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/07/05 at 7:08 pm

if it's really that obvious (you seem to be the only ones to notice it so far)

it became obvious to me also, when I posted a YMCA parody and it got huge early box office - I think it may also explain the plethora of "Yesterday" parodies, which I would've thought was an unispiring OS

I vote "yes" to randomisation - rotational every hour would be even better :)

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/07/05 at 7:21 pm

or, just alternate from alphabetical order to reverse alphabetical order every hour - for a totally fair result - and it will still retain some form of order on the page

Written By: Peregrin on 10/07/05 at 8:18 pm

???  We may have been the only ones to immortalize it in parody...

However, the reason we did it at the time was that it was so obvious.  If you submitted a parody that was at the end of the alphabet/top of the list, it nearly always ended up with more votes and comments than one with a starting letter.  We always assumed it was simply that people started at the top of the list - the end letters - and then would lose interest/fall asleep/leave due to a lack of available time, what have you, before they got to the end.

Any form of randomization would suffice :)

Stu, just a thought, the only need I can see for any sort of order to be on the page is if one was looking through them (say from the top down) and could not do it all in one go (as I am sure is a problem many of us face), and therefore had to leave.  Are you saying it is easier to say think "I had got down to the M's, and therefore that's where I need to pick up again?"

I guess the trouble is that if you had a randomization that changed every hour, then that might cause problems for people who were only part way through whatever process they follow?  If they left and came back to find the order changed, they might not easily pick up which ones they had not seen yet? (specially when there are lots of parodies in a daily batch).

If that was the case, maybe an idea would be for Chuck's program to assign a number to each entry after it was randomized during the process which sees it posted to the page.  Then, if a further, or hourly, or what have you, randomization occurred, each song would still retain it's number.  Therefore, if you had to leave during the voting process, at least you could have noted where you were up to?  Or down to!

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/07/05 at 8:33 pm

I had second thoughts about the "every hour" idea after I posted it.  I think it would be a little confusing to people if they check it and when they hit the back button it's changed, or it might run while I'm still processing the new entries (and with the new system, new entries will not actually be created until they've all been processed, so dead links would show up)...

so I retract the idea... too many issues I'd have to sort out to make it work.  The confusion it might generate, while fun at first, would probably cause me to end it after a million "what's going on" emails.  The links do change colors if you view one, but the other technical hurdles, while possible to overcome, would require more work on my part.

Of course, if I have to remove a parody during the middle of the day, the page will get re-ordered anyways...

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/07/05 at 8:39 pm

Hmmm... randomization... maybe that's why I couldn't open up the "new entries" page today. :-\\ I look at it every couple days or so, just to see if there's anything interesting.

ahh... it appears I made a little mistake when creating the new randomize function... they're all there below the empty date listings... I'll fix it in a few

Written By: nally on 10/08/05 at 7:07 pm

ahh... it appears I made a little mistake when creating the new randomize function... they're all there below the empty date listings... I'll fix it in a few

Okay. Thanks! ;)

Yeah, yesterday I had clicked on the "Song Parodies" link in the left sidebar, scrolled down and found today's date with nothing listed underneath it, then I tried the "New Entries" link and it took forever to load. I wasn't gonna wait all day, so I just gave up.

Written By: Josh2 on 10/09/05 at 4:29 am

Whats this aobut people calling their parodies specific names tio get upo the list. That's just screwy. i just call my parody whatever i've replaced the original title with in the new lyrics

but i have noticed no1 has looked at mynew parody wich is halfway down the list :\'( :\'(

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/10/05 at 10:17 am

I think by when they are submitted time-wise would be better maybe, the last entry received for a given day would be on the bottom of the list (sort of like first come, first serve).

Yes, like on the day of a world event, Mr. or Mrs. Whosoever can brag, "I did it first!!" ;)

It doesn't matter to me which order. I jump first to songs that I know.

Check for new replies or respond here...