inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pacing Techniques

Written By: Josh2 on 10/10/05 at 10:51 am

A recent comment i receieved has made me start this rthread asking you all how you get your pacing on your parodies

I got a load of Bull fomr this guy saying by my pacing was bad when i have  one of the most foolproof ways of beating the pacing.

I drag up the lyrcs on my browser while i'm writing my parody and refer to itwghen ever i'm riting my songs

this way i get all the sylables n paing correct

im shocked this guy had the ordacity to say such a thing and that he should relaly start using his ears,

Subject: Re: Pacing Techniques

Written By: karen on 10/10/05 at 11:16 am

But just because the syllable count fits does not mean the pacing is correct.  The way some syllables are emphasised in a word changes how they fit into a line when you are singing it.

Why not put a link to the parody in question, then we can all take a look?

Written By: Josh2 on 10/10/05 at 11:18 am

http://amiright.com/parody/2000s/greenday169.shtml

also, people have to listen to the song original song a listen to how a beat is sung or the length the artistee puts on it,i often also go along with that aswell

Written By: Red Ant on 10/11/05 at 1:09 pm

also, people have to listen to the song original song a listen to how a beat is sung or the length the artistee puts on it,i often also go along with that aswell

I DKTOS right now so I can't say if the pacing is off.

The way I do it is download the lyrics onto a Notepad, save, then MODIFY the lyrics while listening to TOS (sometimes in short increments) to make sure they are complete, in the proper order and put commas where breaks are, periods after carried syllables (using more for longer notes) and CAPS for stressed/loud/high pitch words/notes, parentheses for background vocals and include where the instrumental/solo parts are.

After all that is done (which can take considerable time), THEN I open up a second document and start writing the parody. I do not further modify the "Modified Original Lyrics" nor write the parody on the same document.

When I finish the parody I play TOS and make sure the pacing on the parody is close to perfect by karaoking it.

Also, I save the modified lyrics in case I want to parody that OS again.

Written By: Josh2 on 10/11/05 at 3:03 pm

wat do u mean by a period?, thats a big problem im having (not in that way), ppl keep telling me my pacings off wen a note is held for a longer beat n stuff

Written By: Red Ant on 10/11/05 at 6:48 pm

wat do u mean by a period?, thats a big problem im having (not in that way), ppl keep telling me my pacings off wen a note is held for a longer beat n stuff

Well, if a certain word is held or carried for a while I put periods after it, the more denoting more time the note is held. I usually put 3 periods but have put several more at times. Like if a singer sings "yeah" and carries that note a while, it might look like this:

Yeah.......

I can't give you a more specific example though unless I know TOS though.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 10/11/05 at 9:20 pm

Um, even from your first line the pacing is off. 'realbigcelebrity' does not pace with 'American Idiot'.
I'm assuming you're a young writer from your mobile-phone-like spelling et al, so persevere, persevere, persevere and eventually pacing will become second nature.

Written By: Josh2 on 10/12/05 at 10:55 am

notice that there is no space, it ment to be sed as a fast wohle word

and the whole line mtaches though, it should reall;y be, ARealBigCelebrity

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/12/05 at 2:21 pm

The easiest thing to do is to count the syllables of the OS and of your creation, line by line.

I don't care about how the original singer accented it before, because sometimes that's all a matter of song interpretation (cf. Ella Fitzgerald or Tony Bennett).

Written By: Josh2 on 10/12/05 at 3:27 pm

THats what I do

I think a big problem for pl giving people giving ppl low oacing marks is that people don't understand how the author was interpreting the song

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/12/05 at 10:27 pm

notice that there is no space, it ment to be sed as a fast wohle word

and the whole line mtaches though, it should reall;y be, ARealBigCelebrity

it's still off though.

Another thing people base pacing on is how well it rhymes with the OS and how much it repeats, etc.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/12/05 at 10:50 pm

This is a really interesting topic for discussion. I try to make every writer's pacing work, even when it doesn't seem to, because I know that in the head of the writer it must have worked, even if it's not syllable-count perfect. Nobody deliberately puts in a line that doesn't pace - no regular anyway - although some newbies might

If you can get the perfect line with perfect syllable count, that's ideal of course.

But if you can't, which way do you jump? to the less-than-perfect line with perfect syllable count? or to the perfect line with incorrect syllable count (that still paces in a karaoke sense of course, and has the correct number of stressed syllables)

I always go for the latter - my rule is that if you can karaoke it easily, the pacing's fine, so go for the perfect line.

eg. I once parodied "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head" about a dumb-ass whiny kid who's fighting Mike Tyson

I used "Mi-chael keeps Hitting-Me In The Head" over "Mi-chael keeps beating on my head" because it sounded funnier and more pathetic, which was what I was after, although it was the second option that had the correct syllable count.

I know others would've gone for the second one, though, so it's a subjective choice, and I don't think pacing should be docked when it's a subjective choice.

Another example is "50 ways To Leave Your Lover" Everyone knows the tune, so I believe it should be parodied to the tune, not to the syllables of Paul Simon's often-conversationally-rhythmed lines, because writing a syllable-count-perfect line in this case leaves a messy read for those who don't know the OS by heart, and hard for those readers to make work (unless they has the OS in the background as a syllable-stressing guide)

I think giving the majority of readers an easy intuitive read (using ANY tricks: punctuation, capitals, spaces, dots) should be a priority, because it then allows them to enjoy the parody unhindered by pacing stumbles.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 10/12/05 at 11:59 pm

I used "Mi-chael keeps Hitting-Me In The Head" over "Mi-chael keeps beating on my head" because it sounded funnier and more pathetic, which was what I was after, although it was the second option that had the correct syllable count.

I think giving the majority of readers an easy intuitive read (using ANY tricks: punctuation, capitals, spaces, dots) should be a priority, because it then allows them to enjoy the parody unhindered by pacing stumbles.

I agree with using punctuation to assist in the reading process. However, I am a pacing fiend and would rather not do the parody than do a 'Hitting-Me In The Head' one. Don't get me wrong, it sounds funny when singing it, but... I dunno, mispacing so blatantly just grates my nerves like when a shovel hits rock. Or corrugated iron is dragged across cement. Or you see someone directly bite into a frozen paddle pop. Or reciving the same damn forwarded 'sympathy spam'-for-two-little-boys-who-were-murdered-this-time-last-year-so-forward-this-on-in-their-memory-or-you're-a-heartless-swine from twelve different people in your address book.

...but by all means, to each his own.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/13/05 at 12:08 am

bad pacing grates on me also (although not as much as someone biting into a frozen paddle-pop) - which is why I chose that example.  In the OS of Raindrops, "fall-ing" is drawn out, so there's easily enough time to squeeze "hitting-me" (note the hyphen tells you to say it as one quick word) in, and there's only one stressed syllable in both, so it works karaoke-style

but you're not alone in your dissent and I remember suffering badly with my pacing score for that parody, and admittedly I try to avoid finding myself in the "do I turn right or do I turn left?" dilemm  (although I'd still turn left if I had to)

Written By: Red Ant on 10/13/05 at 12:16 am

Good point Stu about the karaoke ability of a piece; last month in a contest there was one entry I couldn't get to scan right to TOS but it paced perfectly to the MIDI, so they got the 555 instead of 455.

Josh, all of the tricks mentioned take some time to get the hang of, and since lyrics sheets almost never include such notations as periods, hyphens, parentheses, caps, etc the only way I know is to do it by ear and write down a close approximation of what you hear. You might not want to mess with all of that for now, just write the words and hope the reader can follow them.

Agreed. It just takes some practice.

I don't know, I've gotten much tighter pacing my own parodies recently though I have to remember my first ones that I THOUGHT were perfect-lol- they are awful compared to what I would do now with the same OS.

Of course, humor might override me docking pacing; I don't want to read pacing exercises all of the time (not that I think that is all authors try to do, mind you), I want to laugh (or see something thought-provoking, heartfelt etc).

Some things just cannot work though, putting in a 2 or 4 syllable word as the opening line for "Yesterday" won't work, neither would a word like "Demonic", all 3 syllable stresses are bass ackwards from "Yesterday".

Written By: Arwen on 10/13/05 at 12:19 am

I agree with using punctuation to assist in the reading process. However, I am a pacing fiend and would rather not do the parody than do a 'Hitting-Me In The Head' one. Don't get me wrong, it sounds funny when singing it, but... I dunno, mispacing so blatantly just grates my nerves like when a shovel hits rock. Or corrugated iron is dragged across cement. Or you see someone directly bite into a frozen paddle pop. Or reciving the same damn forwarded 'sympathy spam'-for-two-little-boys-who-were-murdered-this-time-last-year-so-forward-this-on-in-their-memory-or-you're-a-heartless-swine from twelve different people in your address book.

...but by all means, to each his own.

Or sitting by, idly, while someone misspells "receiving."

I. HATE. THAT.

Anyway, back the subject. Pacing is IT to me. If something doesn't pace well...it's just not as funny. There is no such thing, in my opinion, as a 354 parody. A three on pacing brings that funny score down, kids. I've done a 455 before. But it's rare.

And it's pretty clear now, that Stuart is a nicer person than I am. I don't believe in "trying" too hard to make someone's pacing work. If I have to try...(at least in cases where I know the song very well...perhaps I may even have it on my Billboard Hits of 1981 CD)...it's not working.

And that's great if it works for the author...but it still doesn't work for me. And I'm not going to 5 it and say that it does.

NONE OF THIS, however, means that I'm knocking anyone as a writer. It just means that I couldn't pace that particular song. It happens every once in a while. I think, to all of us. I always think my pacing is perfect...I won't submit it if it isn't...but sometimes there are people who can't pace the parody...and they give it a 4 or a 3...and that's that. I might whine about it...(because I'm really good at whining)...but I know it's reality.

In this case, I don't know the OS...so I can't file an opinon on Josh's parody...but it's pretty likely (having read the opinions of those who do know the OS) that if I DID know it, I'd be one of the ballsy beasts who dared to challenge his pacing. It's just kind of what I do.

Sorry.

Written By: Arwen on 10/13/05 at 12:20 am

What in the HELL is up with all the nbsp stuff?

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/13/05 at 12:27 am

the nbsp comes in when you double space - I just figured it out today

and when you modify it by deleting one of the spaces, it seems to depend on which one you delete

Written By: Arwen on 10/13/05 at 12:40 am

and when you modify it by deleting one of the spaces, it seems to depend on which one you delete

Thanks for the head's up. Basically, in order to avoid nbsps, I'm going to have to type grammatically incorrectly all the time? It's never going to work.

I feel like crying.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/13/05 at 1:00 am

I feel like crying.

we're talking "fighting the good anti-nbsp fight" sweetheart - no place for tears 8)

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/13/05 at 1:03 am

I agree with Arwen.  I always use a doubel space after a full stop - in fact I just used one

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/13/05 at 1:08 am

??? hmm - and no nsbp - the plot thickens - maybe deleting the second space in a modification corrects a problem not to do with the second space

Written By: karen on 10/13/05 at 3:28 am

I wondered if that's what it was

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 10/13/05 at 5:55 am

Josh...I read your parody, and Luke's right; the pacing' off from the first line:

I wa/nna be an A/MER/i/can i/di/ot (12 syllables with stress on MER)
I wa/nna be a real/big/ce/leb/ri/ty (11 syllables)
What you could have done is this:
I wa/nna be a rea/LLY big ce/le/bri/ty (right number of syllables, but a bit awkward)
or even
I wa/nna be an e/NORM/ous ce/le/bri/ty (perfect pacing)

If I have a word i want to use, but it has too few or too many syllables to fit, I go to rhymezone.com, put in my word, and go to "find synonyms"...more often than not it will bring up a word that means the same thing but fits better e.g. enormous for realbig
Hope this helps

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/13/05 at 7:42 am

perfect Kristof - well done

Written By: karen on 10/13/05 at 7:50 am

Now all we need is for josh to say that it's really celeberity

;)

Written By: Arwen on 10/13/05 at 9:30 am

Single spacing is grammatically incorrect?

It is grammatically correct to space twice after a period.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/13/05 at 9:57 am

yes, but is it grammatically correct to say "Your's made me cry" ?

hmm?

j/k ;)

Written By: Arwen on 10/13/05 at 10:19 am

hmm?

j/k ;)

Did I honestly type that?

sheesh!

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/13/05 at 10:22 am

Did I honestly type that?

sheesh!

Written By: Josh2 on 10/13/05 at 11:11 am

Josh...I read your parody, and Luke's right; the pacing' off from the first line:

I wa/nna be an A/MER/i/can i/di/ot (12 syllables with stress on MER)
I wa/nna be a real/big/ce/leb/ri/ty (11 syllables)
What you could have done is this:
I wa/nna be a rea/LLY big ce/le/bri/ty (right number of syllables, but a bit awkward)
or even
I wa/nna be an e/NORM/ous ce/le/bri/ty (perfect pacing)

If I have a word i want to use, but it has too few or too many syllables to fit, I go to rhymezone.com, put in my word, and go to "find synonyms"...more often than not it will bring up a word that means the same thing but fits better e.g. enormous for realbig

sopz

but now this is just mean

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/greenday172.shtml

ok i admit that it wasnt all that great and that i was seriously tired and thathe dude wasnt in my head when i wrote it. but giving me 1's, anyone know this guy?
Hope this helps

*various fit of bad words that can't be put on here. NOW I REMEMBER WHAT I DID DAMNIT.  A FREKIN PAUSE AFTER BIG. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH

Written By: Mistress Leola on 10/13/05 at 1:01 pm

This is a really interesting topic for discussion. I try to make every writer's pacing work...

blah, blah, blah...]

What he said. Good post, StuMc. More art than science, this pacing thing.  That's why one often can't legitimately claim they've been unfairly scored. It's your responsibility as a writer to basically make it idiot-proof or suffer the consequences.

Another example is "50 ways To Leave Your Lover" Everyone knows the tune, so I believe it should be parodied to the tune, not to the syllables of Paul Simon's often-conversationally-rhythmed lines, because writing a syllable-count-perfect line in this case leaves a messy read for those who don't know the OS by heart, and hard for those readers to make work (unless they has the OS in the background as a syllable-stressing guide)

As it happens, I have parodied "50 Ways" a few times, but there are songs I've decided not to parody precisely because the rambling or conversational pacing of the OS might make it difficult for the reader to know how the stresses should fall. In fact, I might go so far as to say that anytime I find that I need to meticulously count the number of syllables in each line of the OS in order to write the parody, I can't really expect the reader to be able to easily make sense of it. I realize that some people (bless their hearts) actually take the time to compare the text of the OS to the text of the parody in order to judge the parody 'fairly' -- that's either extraordinarily conscientious of them or extraordinarily anal, I'm not sure which. ;) To me, the reader really shouldn't have to do any 'work' in order to 'get' it. If you're writing a parody for performance purposes, that's a whole other ballgame, but when you're expecting it to be fully appreciated just as written, the burden on you as a writer is greater. But hey, we thrive on challenge, right?

Thanks for the head's up. Basically, in order to avoid nbsps, I'm going to have to type grammatically incorrectly all the time? It's never going to work.

I feel like crying.

Double-spacing after a period is not a 'grammar' issue -- it's a typesetting convention.  Duh.
::)

Written By: ... on 10/13/05 at 1:11 pm

hmm?

j/k ;)

No. Eliminate the apostrophe and you would be gramatically correct.

Written By: Josh2 on 10/13/05 at 3:45 pm

wats dis nbsp malarcy?

and is it just my opinion, or should 1's get there IP blocked from now-on or for at least a few days or week or sumin

i spent ages writing a aprody of Jesus of SUburbia (seriously long, 9 mins). n this guy gives me 1's

if he dont like my work then thats ok, ubt ones just houldnt be accepted

Written By: Arwen on 10/13/05 at 5:39 pm

wats dis nbsp malarcy?

and is it just my opinion, or should 1's get there IP blocked from now-on or for at least a few days or week or sumin

i spent ages writing a aprody of Jesus of SUburbia (seriously long, 9 mins). n this guy gives me 1's

if he dont like my work then thats ok, ubt ones just houldnt be accepted

It's just you.

I don't like 1s any more than the next person, but if you eliminate them, then 2s would just be new 1s, and you'd be upset about getting them. You'd really not be eliminating any kind of problem.

And you really need to stop taking the votes you receive so seriously. If you're happy with what you've written, then that's what is really important. You'll never be able to please everyone...and if you got 5s all the time, how would you know that people were really being sincere?

I love my stuff. I wouldn't submit it if I didn't think it deserved 5s...(trust me, I have a lot of unsubmitted stuff)...but humor is so subjective...and apparently, so is pacing to some people...so I can't expect everyone to agree with me all the time.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/13/05 at 10:00 pm

What he said. Good post, StuMc. More art than science, this pacing thing.  That's why one often can't legitimately claim they've been unfairly scored. It's your responsibility as a writer to basically make it idiot-proof or suffer the consequences.

Warning: essay follows (the opinions expressed herein are only those of the author)

exactly right, Leo, and you nailed it with the art/science thing.  Obviously we all agree bad pacing ruins a parody (and the parody that this thread originated from does contain bad pacing, as Luke pointed out)

But the point of perfect pacing is to give the reader an effortless read (an art) not a syllable-perfect one (a science).

This is so the reader’s brain can enjoy the words undistracted, and sometimes, contradictorily, this may actually require an INcorrect syllable count.

It’s not hard to write lines with the right amount of syllables, but that doesn’t ensure good pacing.  Kristof demonstrated that beautifully above by writing a syllable-correct line, that needed the second syllable of “really” to be stressed, which is bad pacing, because intuitively the reader would never stress that syllable.  If stressing the LY is the only way of getting an otherwise perfect line to work, the writer should throw the reader a bone by capitalising the LY, or using a hyphen, or a line break, etc.

Good pacing requires that 99% of readers correctly stress each syllable intuitively, and don’t notice pacing.  (a bit like how good refereeing means the referees aren’t noticed)

There are 3 types of readers: the DKTOSes, the KTOSes out for enjoyment, and the KTOSes out to syllable-count.

With a song like “50 Ways” if you satisfy the third group you risk losing the first group, and vice versa, which is why it’s a hard song to do.

To please all three groups (which we’re all trying to do) sometimes you have to phrase a line sneakily so it reads well for the DKTOSes without raising the shackles of the KTOSes(syllables)

Spaff always seems to be able to do it  -  for a good example of bullet-proof pacing see http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/julieandrewsmarypoppins6.shtml                 

And by “sneakily” I mean tricks have to be used, like replacing a leading unstressed, syllable-correct, “but” with "...." just to prevent the 25% of readers from incorrectly emphasising “but” and throwing the rest of the line out.

And 25% WILL stress it wrongly because stressing is certainly subjective   

eg. take a line like “And Just Go There...”
If those words are read on their own, equal numbers of readers would intuitively emphasise Just, Go, or There.  But when you finish the line with  “...to the Y.M.C.A” people who know the OS realise the 'Go' has to be emphasised, although people who DKTOS wouldn’t

The point of pacing is to remove ALL ambiguity from how the line is stressed, and hopefully this will also mean correct syllable count. 

One syllable rule is definitely unbreakable though – the amount of stressed syllables, and trailing syllables must ALWAYS be exact to the OS.

Also Leo, I take your point that written parodies must keep the reader in mind, while performed parodies keep the listener in mind, so I admit I chose a bad example in my previous post.  My “Hitting-Me/Falling” sub WAS written with listeners in mind, not readers, and so deserved to be shafted on pacing by readers.

thankyou readers, thankyou ballboys :)

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 10/13/05 at 10:09 pm

DN+color]

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/14/05 at 1:27 am

DN+color]

thankyou Sir.........................  :-\\  um, is DN+ a pass or a fail?

Written By: Red Ant on 10/14/05 at 1:37 am

Excellent post Stu which I agree with but I'd like to mention one thing here (my opinion only):

But the point of perfect pacing is to give the reader an effortless read (an art) not a syllable-perfect one (a science).

The standard for a 5 vote on pacing is "Lots", not "Perfect". "Perfect" pacing, with every stress falling on the correct syllable, correct syllable counts and perfect rhyming, either to TOS or the parody (or both) is going to be completely lost on people who are not intimately familiar with TOS.

DKTOSers or those who vaguely remember TOS (perhaps the chorus and a few lines) are probably not going to notice "perfection" and while perfection is certainly an attainable (and quite worthy) goal on a regular basis for a great many here, there is one nearly inescapable thing: 111 votes, which by statistics ruin an otherwise perfectly paced piece.

Indeed it is a mix of art and science, depending on the OS it can be almost entirely one or the other. Don't want to make this a personal thread but there is one song I'm working on that is ~100% art; syllable counting is completely useless for this particular OS because of very odd meter, nearly every syllable in the song (save the choruses) is carried and/or inflected and syllable stressing/rhyme scheme is also highly unconventional, making it a supreme PITA to pace correctly, since by my standards TOS doesn't pace "right" (which is why I love it). Anyway....

While bad pacing does ruin a parody, the reverse is also true for me in that great pacing doesn't necessarily make for a great parody. There is that "funny" category as well.

One last thing, I don't have problems giving out 4 or even an occasional 3 for pacing and explaining where the author went wrong in my opinion. If other authors hadn't done that for me when I was new I'd stil probably be making stuff like I did back in Feb and March.

Written By: Josh2 on 10/14/05 at 10:01 am

Sorry, that's not what i mean. My fault I didn't word it right. I mean 1'ers, people who give 111. no-one would ever put a parody on here if it was that bad

Written By: karen on 10/14/05 at 10:04 am

Sorry, that's not what i mean. My fault I didn't word it right. I mean 1'ers, people who give 111. no-one would ever put a parody on here if it was that bad

People give out 1's votes for lots of different reasons.  Maybe you parodied their favourite song or did a parody about a celebrity they like.  Some people bear a grudge and will 1 vote all your parodies if you argued with them in a comments section.

Written By: Arwen on 10/14/05 at 10:43 am

While I agree with you that VERY few, if any, parodies on the site deserve to get a 111, I still maintain that you can't punish people for voting that way. It's their right to give 1s as much as it's their right to give 5's...

I've had people give me 5s when they full on admit that they don't even know the OS, and/or relate to the subject matter at all. (This is because everybody loves me... ;)) There are those out there, who are obsessed with votes, who might argue that those are undeserved 5s. Maybe they are. I maintain that I worked very hard to build those relationships with those voters, so of COURSE their votes are valid. But, as far as the parody goes, I still might not deserve them.

So, what's the difference between undeserved 1s, and undeserved 5s? Not a lot...just the way that it makes you feel. If you KNOW that you didn't deserve the 1s...then they are simply, (at least in my mindset) not there. I try to focus all of my attention onto the comments...because they are really what matters. Triple one voters RARELY leave an explanation...because they know they can't back it up. So it's an empty jab...don't let it affect you.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/14/05 at 10:02 pm

I don't want to read pacing exercises all of the time

sorry Red Ant - I didn't even see this post (because it was bottom of the page I guess)

I totally agree, and there are some parodies where clearly the author is slaving to the god of pacing, rather than to the god of humour, and imho that isn't keeping the readers' interests in centre stage at all -

when deciding which way to jump, ie. to the line that perfectly rhymes with 5 stressed syllables of the OS line, or to the funnier option with only a last-stressed-syllable rhyme, I reckon the latter is more reader-considerate

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/14/05 at 10:09 pm

If you KNOW that you didn't deserve the 1s...then they are simply, (at least in my mindset) not there......it's an empty jab

perfectly put - in fact 111s should actually make you feel good by comparison, because 111-voting is a pathetic way to offload

Written By: The Real Tony on 10/17/05 at 12:44 pm

It's just you.

I don't like 1s any more than the next person, but if you eliminate them, then 2s would just be new 1s, and you'd be upset about getting them. You'd really not be eliminating any kind of problem.

And you really need to stop taking the votes you receive so seriously. If you're happy with what you've written, then that's what is really important. You'll never be able to please everyone...and if you got 5s all the time, how would you know that people were really being sincere?

I love my stuff. I wouldn't submit it if I didn't think it deserved 5s...(trust me, I have a lot of unsubmitted stuff)...but humor is so subjective...and apparently, so is pacing to some people...so I can't expect everyone to agree with me all the time.

I think this hippie-peacenick 'live-and-let-live', attitude is misguided.  It seems, Arwen, that you are content to let the voterrorists win.  It's very fashionable these days for the liberal intelligentsia to excuse these rogues and empathetically philosophize that their 111's are merely the only weapon they have for resisting the Superparodists bent on oppression and word domination.  But whenever good, well-paced savage witticisms are unjustly attacked by an unholy trinity of numerical torpedoes, this is a threat to mockracy everywhere.

Written By: Arwen on 10/17/05 at 1:18 pm

I think this hippie-peacenick 'live-and-let-live', attitude is misguided.  It seems, Arwen, that you are content to let the voterrorists win.  It's very fashionable these days for the liberal intelligentsia to excuse these rogues and empathetically philosophize that their 111's are merely the only weapon they have for resisting the Superparodists bent on oppression and word domination.  But whenever good, well-paced savage witticisms are unjustly attacked by an unholy trinity of numerical torpedoes, this is a threat to mockracy everywhere.

LOL!!

I mean...Tony, you are a bastard.  I am giving your comment a 111.

Written By: 2nz on 10/17/05 at 2:00 pm

I think it's funny. We're mocking the people who mock our mockery. It's funny and it's ridiculous. And see, I just mocked us for mocking the people who mock our mockery, which is even more ridiculous. And see, I just mocked my mocking of... you get the idea.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/17/05 at 5:35 pm

word domination     unholy trinity of numerical torpedoes      mockracy

LOL! - yes, we must all rail against this Praxis Of Evil

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/17/05 at 5:37 pm

We're mocking the people who mock our mockery..

very clever

Written By: Spaff.com on 10/19/05 at 8:06 pm

Spaff always seems to be able to do it  -  for a good example of bullet-proof pacing see http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/julieandrewsmarypoppins6.shtml                 

Thanx for the shout-out, Stu. What I think that example indicates, however, is that if you want objective opinions of your pacing skillz, you gotta pick an original song with a steady meter. Like, say, Supercal and Major-General. When you do those, it's obvious to any reader with a brain whether or not you got the meter right.

Most pop/rock songs, however, have anything but consistent pacing, so what you have to do is make 'em LOOK like they SOUND right. Edmund Fitzgerald, for example, has syllable counts and stresses that are all over the freaking map. If you try to match it syllable-for-syllable, it's going to look like you suck. So when I parodied that one, I stuck to a consistent meter in every stanza.

Rap parodies (in written form, anyway) are simply a losing proposition, IMHO. It's the law of diminishing returns; the more effort you expend to make each of your parody's lines match the whacked pacing of the original's, the less difference it makes to the final product. I learned this the hard way with "The Way You Move." I busted my butt to make every line match. The pacing scores I got were mediocre. (And then they all got erased in the crash anyway.) I probably won't do rap again, unless it's specifically to be recorded. Besides, rap "lyrics" are meant to be heard, not seen.

Moral of the story: There are only two songs you should ever parody. The end.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 10/19/05 at 8:21 pm

Besides, rap "lyrics" are meant to be heard, not seen.

Moral of the story: There are only two songs you should ever parody. The end.

LOL! 95% of my associates would disagree with you. They'd prefer it if neither was the case

Rap parodies (in written form, anyway) are simply a losing proposition, IMHO. It's the law of diminishing returns; the more effort you expend to make each of your parody's lines match the whacked pacing of the original's, the less difference it makes to the final product. I learned this the hard way with "The Way You Move." I busted my butt to make every line match. The pacing scores I got were mediocre.

"Boooo hoooo. I put sooo much effort into one rap parody and it was sooo hard and it didn't get the glory it deserved after alll my effort in that one rap parody."
>:(

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/19/05 at 8:25 pm

what you have to do is make 'em LOOK like they SOUND right. Edmund Fitzgerald, for example, has syllable counts and stresses that are all over the freaking map. If you try to match it syllable-for-syllable, it's going to look like you suck. So when I parodied that one, I stuck to a consistent meter in every stanza.

that exactly sums up what I spent an essay trying to say - ie. make 'em LOOK like they SOUND right, without raising the shackles of the syllable-purists

and 'Edmund Fitzgerald' = '50 Ways' imho. As a reader I prefer to see a consistent metre (although it requires that some lines are syllablically (?) imperfect to their corresponding OS lines)

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/19/05 at 8:32 pm

"Boooo hoooo. I put sooo much effort into one rap parody and it was sooo hard and it didn't get the glory it deserved after alll my effort in that one rap parody."

DOWN!  Craaaaaaaaack!

Written By: Spaff.com on 10/19/05 at 9:44 pm

LOL! 95% of my associates would disagree with you. They'd prefer it if neither was the case

Neither what? You must know I was kidding about never parodying anything other than Supercal and Major-General.

Exactly. Well put.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 10/19/05 at 10:17 pm

Clustard.

I meant they believe that rap should be 'neither seen nor heard'.
Your last line was just too good to delete merely for clarity's sake.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/19/05 at 10:20 pm

btw Spaff, while I'm still in praise-grandmaster-spaff-mode, that Madonna parody was the first time I'd seen a line-break used to create a strategic pacing pause  (ie. Ma- -donna Esther......), a trick I've used countless times since, so thanks mate ;)

Written By: Spaff.com on 10/19/05 at 11:53 pm

Clustard.

Around here, that's what we call frozen custard with nut-cluster mix-ins. It's yummy.

And to bring this back on topic, a few blocks away from my nearest frozen custard stand is a burger joint called PACE'S. I kid you not.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Spaff.com on 10/19/05 at 11:57 pm

btw Spaff, while I'm still in praise-grandmaster-spaff-mode, that Madonna parody was the first time I'd seen a line-break used to create a strategic pacing pause  (ie. Ma- -donna Esther......), a trick I've used countless times since, so thanks mate ;)

You're welcome. But I'm sure I must have stolen that idea from someone else, so thank you from Stuart, whoever you are.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: tmayfield on 10/20/05 at 9:09 am

That's old school Arwen.

The new rules (which seem to have been made by Microsoft) state that single spacing after a period is the only acceptable method.  Also web pages (HTML) have issues with double spacing as you have seen with the " " example.  Corporate guidelines have been jumping on the bandwagon (and ruining the shocks) and a person is not allowed to 'choose' their own preferred method.  We are being bullied into bad punctuation practices for the sake of conventionalism.

Incidentally, most American punctuation techniques were borrowed from book publishers who were bullied into bad punctuation practices for the sake of conventionalism.

I, myself, have been bullied many times on this issue yet shall remain steadfast (yet bullied) for years to come.

Blame it on the illogical warmongering punctuation dictators of our age (internet developers).

Written By: tmayfield on 10/20/05 at 1:02 pm

Incidentally, I have a question (I hope a valid one) in regards to pacing.  It so happens that Lurker has been berating John A. Barry for his 'pacing flaws' while I am clueless to the method being applied.  Does anyone know where to find a resource for how to determine accented vs unaccented vs slightly accented vs mildly accented vs whocaresabouttheaccented?

I seem to have been dinged in this category before, yet I know not wherewith they speak.  An example is the My Computer's Too Slow I submitted and received 7 dings on pacing.  No one has singled out the places that they are dinging me for.  I don't really even know if they are referring to accented phrasing or not.  7 dings is a fairly high number and imagine they are correct, but what to what end if I am still clueless?

Thanks,
Clueless in Seattle

P.S.  I am using a unique method on pacing control and place logic ahead of humor which is always ahead of pacing... (but then I am a programmer)

Written By: Red Ant on 10/20/05 at 2:09 pm

Incidentally, I have a question (I hope a valid one) in regards to pacing.  It so happens that Lurker has been berating John A. Barry for his 'pacing flaws' while I am clueless to the method being applied.  Does anyone know where to find a resource for how to determine accented vs unaccented vs slightly accented vs mildly accented vs whocaresabouttheaccented?

I seem to have been dinged in this category before, yet I know not wherewith they speak.  An example is the My Computer's Too Slow I submitted and received 7 dings on pacing.  No one has singled out the places that they are dinging me for.  I don't really even know if they are referring to accented phrasing or not.  7 dings is a fairly high number and imagine they are correct, but what to what end if I am still clueless?

Thanks,
Clueless in Seattle

P.S.  I am using a unique method on pacing control and place logic ahead of humor which is always ahead of pacing... (but then I am a programmer)

Tim, pacing is off in the following lines (OL=Original Lyrics, PL=Parodied Lyrics):

OL: I need no sympathy
PL: got no more money- 1 syllable short

OL: Doesn't really matter to me
PL: doesn't measure up to speed- 1 syllable short

OL: But now I've gone and thrown it all away
PL: Why'd you throw your money away?- 1 syllable short

OL: Ddin't mean to make you cry
PL: I would like to know why- 1 syllable short

OL: If I'm not back again by this time tomorrow
PL: Take it back and get a refund tomorrow -1 syllable over

OL: Sends shivers down my spine
PL: Need to get them on the line - 1 syllable over

That said, I had to give you a 153. J/k, voted 5s and left a comment.

As far as stressed syllables, all of your stresses were correct. An example that is awkward would be trying to take The Beatles "Yesterday" and subbing "Demonic" for the title, unless one pronounces "Demonic" as Dem-un-ic" instead of "De-Mon-ic", the former sounds highly forced to me.

Don't know "Secret Agent Man" well enough to notice any pacing flaws.

Written By: tmayfield on 10/20/05 at 2:18 pm

Tim, pacing is off in the following lines (OL=Original Lyrics, PL=Parodied Lyrics):

OL: I need no sympathy
PL: got no more money- 1 syllable short

OL: Doesn't really matter to me
PL: doesn't measure up to speed- 1 syllable short

OL: But now I've gone and thrown it all away
PL: Why'd you throw your money away?- 1 syllable short

OL: Ddin't mean to make you cry
PL: I would like to know why- 1 syllable short

OL: If I'm not back again by this time tomorrow
PL: Take it back and get a refund tomorrow -1 syllable over

OL: Sends shivers down my spine
PL: Need to get them on the line - 1 syllable over

That said, I had to give you a 153. J/k, voted 5s and left a comment.

As far as stressed syllables, all of your stresses were correct. An example that is awkward would be trying to take The Beatles "Yesterday" and subbing "Demonic" for the title, unless one pronounces "Demonic" as Dem-un-ic" instead of "De-Mon-ic", the former sounds highly forced to me.

Don't know "Secret Agent Man" well enough to notice any pacing flaws.

Thanks Red Ant, at least I can focus in on the issue now.

Written By: Rick Cormier on 10/21/05 at 5:43 am

Thanks,
Clueless in Seattle

Tim, having just read the first verse in your "My Computer's Too Slow" parody, I did find a number of places where the syllable count in the lines were off from the OS. For instance, "engineering the code" vs. "caught in a landslide". Your line has one more syllable in it than the OS line. Another example is "jack up the price to me", the OS is "look up to the skies and see". The OS line has one more syllable in this case. That may be where you're getting dinged.

My first parody submitted here was "I Wonder If She's a Girl" to Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World". I got dinged a number of times for pacing, simply because of the "I" in the title and choruses, adding an extra syllable to the line. In every other line of the song, the pacing was fine. Since that happened, I am careful not to throw in extra syllables. When I perform the song live, I leave out the "I" now.

This is MHO. Others may have a different take on it.

Gotta go finish reading your parody now.

Rick

Written By: PRobinson on 11/06/05 at 1:56 am

Well, this was quite an interesting thread.  As someone who considers himself to be pretty good at pacing I was sure I would have some sort of trenchant and perhaps witty remark, observation or suggestion to make...and here I am at the end of the thread with...nothing to really say or add to the discussion.  Anyway, my fingers were kind of restless so I'm posting this non-remark to keep them happy...lol

pr

Written By: Rex on 11/06/05 at 10:47 am

I try to match the original pacing as much as possible, but I will take some liberties, especially when the OS does as well. For example, in Meridith Brooks song "I'm a Bitch", the chorus starts "I'm a bitch, I'm a lover" ... except when it starts "I'm a bitch, I'm a tease". Seven syllables, six syllables -- so when I'm writing my parody and I have a perfect six-syllable line there where the OS uses seven, or vice-versa, I don't worry about it.

Check for new replies or respond here...