inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Halloween

Written By: Josh2 on 10/30/05 at 7:47 pm

Today I returned from my trip to Johnson and Kennedy Space Centers in the U.S. While I was there I noticed something. You Americans LOVE HALLOWEEN. I was in Houston and there was this neat Carnival type thing on the bardwalk, all through October just for Halloween. You lot love it. you decorate like crazy. when I visited Astronaut Scott Kelly, one of the houses in his block was amazingly covered with stuff.

Wow

Subject: Re: Halloween

Written By: Rex on 10/30/05 at 8:06 pm

There are almost three hundred million of us. Name a holiday, color, dessert item, etc., and there will be large numbers of us who love it.  ;) ;D

Written By: Johnny_D on 10/30/05 at 9:16 pm

And some of us go so far as to actually write parodies about Halloween...

Waiting For Gourdot, It's True

Halloween Rhapsody

Written By: Red Ant on 10/30/05 at 9:23 pm

Yep, love Halloween. Wrote a song about it, wanna hear it?, hear it goes!:

Halloween Scare/Candy Bowl

May have another one for tomorrow.

Edit: As of today it is yesterday's tomorrow: ???

For Halloween, A Warning and Reminder

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/31/05 at 7:16 am

most of us anyways.  There's a few religious wingnuts trying to shut it down lately.  There's always a story of some spineless school somewhere that will chicken out and cancel their plans.  This year it was in Newton, MA.

I'm actually staying home from work today for the holiday.  Well, not really.  I'm staying home, but only because I need to finish getting the house ready for winter (just a couple more weeks before the ground freezes, and I still need to move a ton of dirt and rocks).  We are dressing up Neal though, and when I went out to the store, there were a bunch of kids dressed up for school waiting for the bus.

For some perspective on it, it's like our Guy Fawkes day, minus the bonfires.  Always thought that holiday was something only the British would celebrate, once I heard about it from a Daria cartoon.  Someone tries to blow up Parliment, and you guys dedicate a day to it.  Are you celebrating the fact that his attempt was prevented, or celebrating the fact that someone tried to rid you of all your politicians?  I know how I'd view it lately >grin<

Written By: tmayfield on 10/31/05 at 7:31 am

Today I returned from my trip to Johnson and Kennedy Space Centers in the U.S. While I was there I noticed something. You Americans LOVE HALLOWEEN. I was in Houston and there was this neat Carnival type thing on the bardwalk, all through October just for Halloween. You lot love it. you decorate like crazy. when I visited Astronaut Scott Kelly, one of the houses in his block was amazingly covered with stuff.

Wow

I don't know what you mean.  Only about 90% of american children go trick-or-treating.  That's not so many....  ::)

Written By: Josh2 on 10/31/05 at 2:02 pm

as far as i can remember, we celebrate guy fawkes day for the time we stopped him, i think. lol

anyway, we havea bonfire n loasa fireworks n stuff

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 10/31/05 at 7:07 pm

For the first time EVER in my life, I saw Halloweeners. First a giant hoarde of eleven year old girls turned up at the door in elaborate fairy costumes (I thought I ordered you for tomorrow night...) depleting me of a week's supply of chicken-flavoured popcorn, then an adowwable brother and sister about 3 and 5 knocked on the door in matching witch outfits with their parents looking proudly on from the top of the driveway, so I let them relieve me of my muffin bar supply.

So now I'm going to slowly starve all week.

I can tell you Halloween was nothing but a laughable occasion to rent out cheesy American horror films, and will bet my Makybe Divas on Harry Potter being the source of Australian kids actually getting involved in the ...'tradition'.

Check for new replies or respond here...