inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Angry Genuis Boy - rip offs, anyone notice any others

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/14/05 at 6:08 pm

I got notice today that he slightly reworded an existing parody on the site and resubmitted it.  It's been removed now.  Since checking every parody for plageries is a bit much more than I can handle, take a look at his "catalog" and see if you spot any others.

Subject: Re: Angry Genuis Boy - rip offs, anyone notice any others

Written By: EthanM on 11/14/05 at 6:42 pm

is this the incensed democrats as opposed to incensed republicans by william tong?

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/14/05 at 6:43 pm

is this the incensed democrats as opposed to incensed republicans by william tong?

yes.  His version of Tong's though basically changes names and nothing more.  I don't consider that anything more than a rip off really.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/15/05 at 9:56 am

After another one was spotted, I just went ahead and have begun removing all his parodies.  Not worth the trouble to figure out if he's ripping off work, since it's clear that he is.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/16/05 at 8:04 am

Too bad he doesn't know enough to read the messageboard. He went ahead and resubmitted everything today (which is easy enough to delete) along with an original work of a whole 8 lines about how his opinion is being surpressed, and we're all a bunch of liberals, etc. I guess the fact that he's stealing someone else's work isn't a big deal to him.

Subject: A special submission

Written By: Angry Genius Boy on 11/16/05 at 11:11 am

"Flashdance (What a Feeling)" Based on the performance by Irene Cara
"Bounce Back (That's Not Stealing)" Parody by Angry Genius Boy

First, there's a dumb song,
by a guy, name of "Tong."
Bashes Bush, tells some lies;
That's within his rights.
But if you take his song,
Turn it 'round, then you're "wrong."
Mock his lies, then you're "steal-
ing" "his" song.

Well, who'd be believing
Mocking songs is now "thieving?"
Turn some lies
Against guys? You've no right?

How revealing:
So that's "stealing!"
Rip on Yankovic,
Then will Chucky kick me out?
This Bush bashin'
Is in fashion,
But mock the critics,
And he'll have to "fix" these songs.

I was never "thieving!"
No intent of deceiving;
I don't "rip off"
Of songs; I rip on!

So that's "stealing?"
How revealing!
I give credit there,
But it's still unfair somehow:
Mock a bad song,
And that's sooo wrong!
Turn that song about,
Chucky turns and throws you out.

How revealing...

Calls it "stealing!" (That sticks in my craw!)
I'm appealing... (by the Fair Use law:)
Mirroring the lines,
Satire on satire refines.
That's not stealing. (Bouncing back is fair retort!)
It's revealing. (Repetition's main import.)
Leave the ceiling. (Put your feet back down on the floor.)
Reinstate them here. (I'm not stealing, I declare!)
Bring them on! (Bouncing back the lines is fair, so)
(Songs, songs, songs, songs--Bring them back now.) Reinstate them here.
(I'm appealing.) I appeal it.
(Cooled my passion.)
(Cool your own down.) Reinstate them here.

Subject: Re: A special submission

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/16/05 at 11:14 am

"Flashdance (What a Feeling)" Based on the performance by Irene Cara
"Bounce Back (That's Not Stealing)" Parody by Angry Genius Boy

changing the names in the song, and nothing more.  That's stealing.  It's also lame.

Written By: Will on 11/16/05 at 3:28 pm

This is my original parody version, submitted 4 years ago:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/strawberryalarmclock0.shtml

"Incense & Peppermints" Based on the performance by Strawberry Alarm Clock
"Incensed Republicans" Parody by William Tong

(long instrumental intro)

Nonsense, violence afflicts their kind
Dumb King Dubya, leading the blind
Illusions, delusions clutter their mind
Incensed Republicans bitch all the time

They swear, they blame, they'll lose
Bush didn't win, Supreme Court did choose

Incensed Republicans, meanies denounce
Clinton, who beat them, right wing got bounced
All by himself, all by himself, yeah, yeah
All by himself, all by himself, yeah, yeah, yeah!

They divide their cockeyed world in two
Too much pride on their side; their beast, W.
Cheap tricks in politics; nothing is new
New yardsticks for lunatics, their point of view

(instrumental break)

Nonsense, violence afflicts their kind
Dumb King Dubya, leading the blind
Illusions, delusions clutter their mind
Incensed Republicans bitch all the time

Incensed Republicans
Incensed Republicans

Dubya
Dubya
Dubya
Dubya
Dubya

(fade)

=============================================================
Here's the deleted cut-and-paste plagiarism.  He can't even make up his own original rhymes.  Pretty blatant, eh, readers?
=============================================================
http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/strawberryalarmclock8.shtml

"Incense And Peppermints" Based on the performance by Strawberry Alarm Clock
"Incensed, The Democrats" Parody by Angry Genius Boy

Nonsense, violence poisons their kind;
Stupid Howard Dean, leading the blind;
Illusions, delusions clutter their mind;
Incensed, the Democrats whine all the time;

They swear, they blame, they lose.
Gore didn't win, Electors did choose.

Incensed, the Democrats, meanies denounce
Bush, who has beaten them; leftists got bounced!
Now they're in hell! Now they're in hell! Yeah, yeah...
Now they're in hell! Now they're in hell! Yeah, yeah, yeah!

They divide their cockeyed world in two;
Too much pride on their side; hate what is true.
Cheap tricks in politics; nothing is new;
New yardsticks for lunatics: their points of view.

Nonsense, violence poisons their kind;
Stupid Howard Dean, leading the blind;
Illusions, delusions clutter their mind;
Incensed, the Democrats whine all the time.

Incensed, the Democrats...
Incensed, the Democrats...

Dumb left!
Dumb left!
Dumb left!
Dumb left!
Dumb left!

Written By: Josh2 on 11/16/05 at 3:40 pm

scuse me if this is out of line but

RETARD

lol

I wouldn't be surprised if the 8 line song he did aswell was nicked

lol

Subject: And therein lies the point:

Written By: Angry Genius Boy on 11/16/05 at 8:04 pm

Tong's songs are retarded, and everything he says applies to his own lame, hateful, divisive, violent party. But alas, if you have to explain the joke and there is no joke. This site should be called weareleft rather than amiright.

Subject: Re: And therein lies the point:

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/16/05 at 8:19 pm

Tong's songs are retarded, and everything he says applies to his own lame, hateful, divisive, violent party. But alas, if you have to explain the joke and there is no joke. This site should be called weareleft rather than amiright.

yup... especially if you overlook all the right wing parodies sent in by others.

grow up.  if you can't write your own parodies, don't bother.  You're not going to find anyone who sympathizes with a plagerist here.

Subject: Re: And therein lies the point:

Written By: Will on 11/16/05 at 10:34 pm

Why a plagiarist who idolizes this man calls himself "genius"
http://www.bartcop.com/idiot-genius.jpg

Subject: Point: missed.

Written By: Angry Genius Boy on 11/17/05 at 9:48 am

Change that picture of Bush to Dean, or Moore, or Dowd, or any of several dozen others, and you have my sentiments about you exactly. Of course, that's the point of these "mirror" parodies: the less I had to change to make it "right," the lamer your parody was from the start. I can see that point is lost on you and Chucky, though.

Oh well. There were only a couple of these mirrors out of about a dozen parodies I've written so far, and there are other sites where people won't miss the point and won't remove submissions on the basis of trumped-up charges. There are indeed right wing parodies sent in by others on this site, but I've seen how you ignore your precious rules when leftists make obscene comments and engage in general character assassination against them, usually egged on by several of their fellow morons. Your memory is as feeble as your website's regulations are, though. I'll return at a time you don't expect in a form you won't recognize, and I'll bring company.

Subject: Re: Point: missed.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/17/05 at 9:55 am

Change that picture of Bush to Dean, or Moore, or Dowd, or any of several dozen others, and you have my sentiments about you exactly. Of course, that's the point of these "mirror" parodies: the less I had to change to make it "right," the lamer your parody was from the start. I can see that point is lost on you and Chucky, though.

Oh well. There were only a couple of these mirrors out of about a dozen parodies I've written so far, and there are other sites where people won't miss the point and won't remove submissions on the basis of trumped-up charges. There are indeed right wing parodies sent in by others on this site, but I've seen how you ignore your precious rules when leftists make obscene comments and engage in general character assassination against them, usually egged on by several of their fellow morons. Your memory is as feeble as your website's regulations are, though. I'll return at a time you don't expect in a form you won't recognize, and I'll bring company.

I agree.  You miss the point completly.

If you changed the name in a popular song and re-recorded it with no other changes, guess what genius, you're getting sued.

If you see obscene comments, report them and they get removed.  I love the persecution complex you have.  You break the rules and get caught for it, it's clearly EVERYONE OUT TO GET ME, or NOT FAIR or some other nonsense.

Either write your own stuff, or don't bother.  How hard is that to understand? 

at this point, I'm just going to ignore you. It's pointless to argue with a fool, and a paranoid fool is even worse.

Written By: Arwen on 11/17/05 at 9:59 am

I'm not taking sides, and I definitely don't condone plagiarism...

...but I wonder why other parodies, where the artist only changed, like, 5 words of the actual OS, are not considered to be plagiarism.

Subject: Re: Point: missed.

Written By: Will on 11/17/05 at 10:16 am

He repeatedly posts blatant plagiarisms, and Mr. Genius calls them "mirror parodies."  No need to come up with your own rhymes and verses - just cut-and-paste copy someone else's work and change a few names, and then insanely and lamely try to rationalize his "right" to do this.  Angry Lazy Boy's other theft of one of my parodies "Give Ann A Raspberry And Say" was even worse, which I didn't save after Chucky deleted it - all he did was substitute Maureen Dowd's name for Ann Coulter.

This is spin and self-deception worthy of a Bushevik drunk on Der Kool-Aid.  In typical right-wing bully fashion, he whines with a persecution complex after being exposed as a fraud, and then makes vague threats to return one day with company.

Merry Fitzmas to you and good riddance!

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/17/05 at 10:21 am

I'm not taking sides, and I definitely don't condone plagiarism...

...but I wonder why other parodies, where the artist only changed, like, 5 words of the actual OS, are not considered to be plagiarism.  It's happened several times, and lots of people complain about it...but those parodies are left up.  Is it because this is a case of plagiarism against another AmiRight artist, rather that the original artist?

Would it be different if AGB said that his parody was one of Will's parody...rather than of the OS?

Just wondering...

No difference.  If people complain about songs where only five words were changed, they aren't telling me.  I've removed them in the past when people have pointed them out.

Written By: Spaff.com on 11/17/05 at 7:10 pm

IMHO, Angry Genius Boy's "Incensed, the Democrats" is a parody of William Tong's "Incensed Republicans," which is a parody of the Strawberry Alarm Clock's "Incense and Peppermints." Did AGB give attribution to WT? If so, no harm, no foul. If not, it's plagiarism.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Will on 11/17/05 at 9:11 pm

IMHO, Angry Genius Boy's "Incensed, the Democrats" is a parody of William Tong's "Incensed Republicans," which is a parody of the Strawberry Alarm Clock's "Incense and Peppermints." Did AGB give attribution to WT? If so, no harm, no foul. If not, it's plagiarism.

xoxox
Spaff

Are you kidding?  Angry Lazy Boy doesn't do attributions, nor any of the normal courtesies and niceties the rest of us understand.  My name was not mentioned nor credited in any of his deleted parodies except for the one he posted in this thread, and it was retribution, not attribution.  It would not be a good idea to start a "parody of a parody" precedent here to be used as a thinly-disguised excuse for plagiarism.  Chucky made the right call.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/18/05 at 6:24 am

xoxox
Spaff

ok.  I'll start resubimitting all your parodies under my name, with only two word changes.  You won't mind right?

and yeah, he didn't mention where they even came from.  That's because he knows that if he mentioned they weren't his, they'd have never been posted.

Written By: Spaff.com on 11/18/05 at 10:22 am

ok.  I'll start resubimitting all your parodies under my name, with only two word changes.  You won't mind right?

Let me try this again.

I've read exactly one thing by Angry Genius Boy, "Incensed, the Democrats," because we were asked for our opinions on whether it is plagiarism. Here's mine. It is so similar to "Incensed Republicans" that if it is represented as an original work, or a first-generation parody of "Incense and Peppermints," then, yes, it clearly is plagiarism.

On the other hand, it is different enough from "Incensed Republicans" that it could qualify as a parody of "Incensed Republicans." There are many more than two changed words. I've seen lots of parodies on this site where the parodist does little more than change yesses to nos and ruleses to suckses. (There was one like that in a recent SOTM contest, in fact.) It's not very skilled parody, but I think it still qualifies as parody. BUT (BIG BUT) the parodist absolutely must cite the original work (or first-generation parody) that is being tweaked in order for the resulting work to be considered parody and not merely plagiarism.

and yeah, he didn't mention where they even came from. 

Then it's plagiarism.

xoxox
Spaff

Check for new replies or respond here...