inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Parodies Performed by Rick Cormier

Written By: Rick Cormier on 11/21/05 at 11:25 am

After having practiced at 5 or 6 outdoor parties of friends over the summer, I finally performed some of my parodies at a comedy show last week. I have been doing sound for local comedians for a couple of years now and, thought parodies might go over so, I gave it a shot.

I also ran the sound and hosted the show as well. This was a learning experience for me, because I learned that I need someone to man the volume controls to keep a balance on the volumes of the microphone and the backing tracks.

My first time up, I told the audience of around 120 people about the comedians that were to perform. I did a couple of quick jokes and went right into my parody of Tom Jones' "It's Not Unusual". Mine is called "I'm So Unusual". The microphone was much louder than the backing track and, it took away from the performance. I did get some laughs and a good round of applause when it was through though. I then introduced the first comedian.

He did his thing and he introduced the second comedian. After the second comic, I went up and announced that we would take a short break of ten to fifteen minutes. During the break, the headliner, Mike Donovan, told me that things would go better for me if I had someone introduce me. This gives the audience more of an impression that I was part of the show and, not just the host. So, the second comedian went back up and introduced me. The headliner manned the volume controls and, voila! What a difference!

I did 3 parodies, one after the other and, each went over better than the one before it. I sang, "I Wonder if She's a Girl" (the first parody I ever posted on Amiright, to Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World"). The other two are not complete songs but, one or two verses and a chorus of the OSes. They were, "Pay Me" to Neil Diamond's "Play Me" and "Just Like a Genius" to Dylan's "Just Like a Woman". The headliner said there was a huge difference between my first and second sets.

The audience was very kind, cheering, laughing and applauding at the end.

Having played in bands for decades, I noticed that there is a huge difference in singing to a comedy show audience and singing to a concert or rock club audience. The difference is that, the comedy show audiences actually listen to what you're saying.

I intend to take this little show to some open mike nights to polish it up a bit.

Subject: Re: Parodies Performed by Rick Cormier

Written By: Johnny_D on 11/21/05 at 12:36 pm

Bravo, Rick!  Maybe sometime we can introduce each other at such an event!

Written By: Rick Cormier on 11/21/05 at 12:47 pm

Bravo, Rick!

Written By: jreuben on 11/21/05 at 12:50 pm

Congrats on the performance Rick!  As for your friend...(bang head against wall repeatedly).

Written By: Red Ant on 11/21/05 at 7:46 pm

Congrats Rick. I would love to hear "Large Derriere" done sometime though I realise in all likelyhood you would need 2 singers to make a recording and definately 2 if performed live.

Written By: Rex on 11/22/05 at 10:02 am

Awesome, Rick! You can always introduce yourself - "Before I bring out the first comedian, I would like to take this opportunity to perform 1, or maybe 2, hundred song parodies..."  :)

Written By: 2nz on 11/22/05 at 10:16 am

Yeah congrats Rick. That sounds like an excellent experience coupled with a good idea to keep the show going. I'm gonna try my hand at it on Dec. 14 at NewYorkComedyClub. What did you use for your audio tracks? I'm coming up a bit short on them, so right now I'm only focusing on the parodies that can do without one.

Written By: Rick Cormier on 11/22/05 at 10:41 am

Yeah congrats Rick. That sounds like an excellent experience coupled with a good idea to keep the show going. I'm gonna try my hand at it on Dec. 14 at NewYorkComedyClub. What did you use for your audio tracks? I'm coming up a bit short on them, so right now I'm only focusing on the parodies that can do without one.
Thanks, Glen. I use a variety of sources for backing tracks.

The first thing I do is look for a decent royalty-free midi of the OS on the internet. I have software that allows me to change the key to suit my voice, mute the melody track and substitute any instrument track in the midi for a better sounding one. This gives me a decent sounding backing track.

If you've listened to my recordings on Soundclick.Com, most of them were done in this way. In "Pay Me", I found a midi of just the guitar and, I played and recorded the string and horn parts.

On "Just Like a Genius", I had to play everything because I couldn't find a midi or karaoke version of the OS anywhere.

On, "Don't Whine at Me, Angelina", I bought a karaoke version off of iTunes for 99 cents. That saved a lot of time!

When I record the parodies, I always keep the vocal track separate so I can remove it to do live performances. So, the music the audience hears live is exactly as it is on my recordings. The only thing I have to worry about is getting the vocal right.

Prior to the performance, I load the music onto my iPod, create set lists, depending on how much time they want me to do and hit the start button. As I mentioned above though, I will have someone to keep the mic and music balanced from now on.

Let me know if I can help you at all with your tracks.

Written By: agrimorfee on 11/22/05 at 12:33 pm

Live is a bitch...I have a hard time remembering my own lyrics, even ones that I wrote decades ago!

Written By: Spaff.com on 12/04/05 at 6:43 pm

Congrats, Rick. I have a feeling that this is was just the first of many live performances to come. I look forward to seeing you on tour.

there is a huge difference in singing to a comedy show audience and singing to a concert or rock club audience. The difference is that, the comedy show audiences actually listen to what you're saying.

That's a very cool observation.

xoxox
Spaff

Check for new replies or respond here...