inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2nz to Perform @ NewYorkComedyClub

Written By: 2nz on 11/28/05 at 9:25 am

I'll be performing at a club in New York entitled NewYorkComedyClub on Wednesday, December 14th. It is the same place where Ethan performed earlier this month. The address is still 241 East 24th street between 2nd and 3rd avenues. The show will start at 9pm and I'll have ten minutes to put my best foot forward some time between 9pm and 11pm which is around when the show will wrap up.

I'm still a newbie so they want me to bring as many people to see myself (and the other performers) as possible. So this is just as much a request as it is a promotion. As such, here are the rules of attendance as I understand them:

~ There is a two drink minimum. (You can get two cokes for around $3 each if you're not of age or of mind to drink alcohol but they do have it if you're legal and you want it.)

~ In addition to drinks, there is a $12 cover charge for everyone who makes a reservation, and a $15 charge if you did not make a reservation.

~ You're strongly encouraged to make a reservation at least 48 hours in advance which states how many people your reserving room for and who you are coming to see specifically. (They want to keep tabs on how many people are coming to see a certain person perform)

They have started accepting reservations for the Dec. 14th show. You can leave a message stating that your interested to see me (Glen) or you can send an e-mail:

Phone reservations at 212 629 1781
E-mail at comedyreservations@hotmail.com

I appreciate any and all support and if I don't make you laugh, your drinks are on me (Offer void in Utah and subject to availability

Subject: Re: 2nz to Perform @ NewYorkComedyClub

Written By: EthanM on 11/28/05 at 10:38 am

i'll make a reservation once you get it figured out

Written By: Spaff.com on 12/04/05 at 6:37 pm

if I don't make you laugh, your drinks are on me (Offer void in Utah

Dammn. I was going to show up and intentionally NOT laugh just for the free drinks. Now I'm not even going to fly out there.

I admire your courage, Looney Glen. Break a nut!

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: EthanM on 12/06/05 at 7:37 pm

I just tried to make an e-mail reservation... hopefully it works

Written By: Red Ant on 12/07/05 at 1:50 am

Good luck Glen, I'd like to come but seeing as how I'm a good 500 miles away with a POS car I don't think I will able to attend. Knock 'em dead though.

Red Ant

Written By: 2nz on 12/07/05 at 10:43 am

Thanks Ethan, Cory was saying that an e-mail notification is fine.

Thanks for the well-wishes, Spaff. I'm sorry but that just sounds painful...

And thanks Red Ant. No sweat, I think I can manage a recorded version of at least one of the three songs I intend to perform. That means you guys can enjoy it from the comfort of your own state, I think.

Written By: Robert J. Pagliaro on 12/08/05 at 9:22 am

Since Spaff isn't going, I'll probably attend. 

Written By: Spaff.com on 12/08/05 at 9:57 am

Since Spaff isn't going, I'll probably attend. 

Hey, whatever happened to forgive and forget? I don't know how many times I have to tell you that hitting on your date - and Kimba - and you - WAS AN ACCIDENT.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Robert J. Pagliaro on 12/08/05 at 10:59 am

Nobody hits on my dog and gets away with it.  The girlfriend you can have.

Written By: EthanM on 12/08/05 at 1:26 pm

Bob, you never said why you didn't make it to my show. Did the torrential downpours have anything to do with it? This time around, we probably won't have rain to deal with. But possibly snow.

Written By: Robert J. Pagliaro on 12/08/05 at 2:10 pm

You never asked before.  Actually, Ethan, I had every intention of going, really.  But - and no offense here - I got a better offer.  Snow would never keep me away

Written By: Robert J. Pagliaro on 12/13/05 at 10:18 am

Ok - I'm there.  Spaff definetly isn't going, right?  You already know that you're going to be on between 9-11pm?  I thought that Ethan didn't get on until 2:00am? Is that just because he's from Poughkeepsie?
How will I recognize you guys?  If Spaff shows up, I'm outta there.
bob

Written By: 2nz on 12/13/05 at 1:19 pm

Ok - I'm there.

Subject: Re: 2nz to Perform @ NewYorkComedyClub/Spaff can't attend

Written By: Robert J. Pagliaro on 12/13/05 at 3:25 pm

Ok, if that Spaff thing changes, let me know.  Filiming?  I'm not sure I want my likeness out there - not sure that people would want my likeness out there.  Certainly I'll be there to cheer you on - unless one of those better offers comes up.  I'm really interested to see the set up and how it goes - I'd really like to prepare a five minute monolgue and do it, as they say, some night in the next few months.  You'll have to fill me in on the logistics.  By the way, you perform and I'll buy you the beer.  Where's the after party - someplace in Union Square?  The Brewery?  The Coffee Shop?
Later
bob

Written By: Rick Cormier on 12/15/05 at 11:56 am

OK, today's the 15th. That means the performance was last night. Well, how did it go Glenn? Did you use any of the tracks I sent you? Let us know, man!

Written By: EthanM on 12/15/05 at 2:38 pm

He used your when I'm 64 track, and that went well but I suppose I'll leave the details to the performer

Written By: 2nz on 12/16/05 at 10:12 am

OK, today's the 15th. That means the performance was last night. Well, how did it go Glenn? Did you use any of the tracks I sent you? Let us know, man!

The whole experience ruled, pretty much. I got to go on early in the show because I managed 7-people to come see me. My cousins Jay, Matt, my Uncle Pete, my other cousin Steve, Alamelu from my internship, Ethan (who you already know) and my friend John were all in attendance. I was really nervous when I first got up. At first I tried out some Santa Clause jokes which didn't do very well (Yay, my first public BOMB is out of the way) but when I moved onto parodies things got better:

1st I did the first half of 'We are the Fellows' where I got the audience of around 50 people to do the clap from 'We are the Champions' as I belted out my LOTR lyrics. The whole front row seemed really confused for most of the song, but they kept the clap going anyway, which was very cool.

2nd I did 'The Reasons Why Women need Men' to a recording that my Uncle Eric made. That went over better, but there were still some people in that damn front row looking confused. I had to pull out the big guns.

Last I performed 'When I'm President' to Rick C's very excellent doctoring of a 'When I'm 64' midi. My slogan was 'I'm on the throne, You're on your own' and it went over very well, even with the front row.

I lugged in some video equipment from my current internship and recorded myself from a side view and then made a DVD the next day so I could show the family and friends who couldn't make it. The audio sucks and the lighting doesn't work, but that's all technical and funny in and of itself anyway.

I wouldn't trade the experience for anything and I'm fixing to do it again in February if not sooner.

Pictures will be forcoming.

Thank you all for the support.

-Glen

Written By: karen on 12/16/05 at 10:55 am

Glad to hear it went well Glen (even if the front row people needed a sense of humour injection)

Written By: Rick Cormier on 12/16/05 at 12:13 pm

Way to go, Glen! It is important to get that first BOMB out of the way. If you recover from it gracefully (as it sounds like you did), it will help you down the road.

I remember, about a year ago, I tried standup (without singing) and, I had written a joke that the audience groaned audibly at. I had written the joke about a year and a half ago. I was doing a bit on amusement parks. Here's the joke.

"Speaking of amusement parks....that new Superman ride at Six Flags is aptly named isn't it? You go on that ride and you'll end up like Christopher Reeve!"

Well, Reeve had just passed away 2 weeks before and, someone had been killed when they fell off of the ride a few months before. Needless to say, it was in poor taste and it bombed.
I had told myself I wasn't going to use it but, in my nervousness onstage, I couldn't think of another joke at the time and, it just slipped out.

I adlibbed a joke out of their groaning. I said something like, "Hey, is my wife here?" "That's the same sound she makes whenever I tell her I'm horny!" That got a big laugh and it was smooth sailing after that.

OK, sorry to hog your thread here. I'm happy it went well for you, Glen! Glad to help too.

Written By: Red Ant on 12/16/05 at 12:51 pm

Great job Glen, sounds like you ruled. Things could have gone much worse, at a comedy show I was at recently the main act was PHYSICALLY STOPPED and asked to LEAVE THE STAGE. I suppose humor about farts and various bodily fluids during dinner time weren't the best ideas. Or maybe it was mentioning the curiousity of cats during sex attracted to "hangy things".

Oh, look foward to the pictures.

Jack

Written By: Spaff.com on 12/18/05 at 11:35 pm

Congrats, Glenz! I hope this is merely the first step in a long and illustrious career.

And it's a relief to hear that Bob Pagliaro wasn't there.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: 2nz on 12/29/05 at 9:21 pm

Sorry about the HUGE delay. I had a bunch of family stuff going on and afterwards I was too stuffed from Christmas meals to get move. Here are some photos from the night I did stand-up. I hope you enjoy. You'll notice in both I look a lot like Satan. My buddy Jon was manning the camera and although it's not really his fault, I'm still holding him personally responsible for my resembling Satan.

Written By: 2nz on 12/29/05 at 9:22 pm

And here's another one...

Written By: 2nz on 12/29/05 at 9:24 pm

And here's the after-party late-night snack. From left-to-right it's Ethan, my cousin Steve, and myself.

Written By: 2nz on 12/29/05 at 9:25 pm

And here's one of the performing stage area, free of performers and crowd.

Written By: 2nz on 12/29/05 at 9:28 pm

And just for kicks, here's one of me lugging all the crap I brought to the show. That list includes: A boom-box to play the music, my general bag for city travel including maps and change of clothes, a high-end camera from my internship to record myself, and a tripod to sit the high-end camera on. Believe me when I say I only just barely fit through the subway turnstiles on the way there.

Check for new replies or respond here...