inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Question 1 - Prom

Written By: K1chyd on 01/08/06 at 9:50 am

The American Prom Tradition - Is it the same day everywhere, like Hallowen, or are there local variations?

Subject: Re: Question 1 - Prom

Written By: EmiLoca on 01/08/06 at 2:46 pm

Definitely local variations.  I can't imagine the chaos that would ensue from a National Prom Day.  :D

Written By: K1chyd on 01/13/06 at 12:31 am

Definitely local variations.  I can't imagine the chaos that would ensue from a National Prom Day.  :D

Thanx Emi!

Hmm... how about the chaos that will emerge when guys from "local variations" all wanna take you as their date to their various proms? ;)

Written By: Cat on 01/13/06 at 7:06 pm

Halloween? Are you sure you're not thinking of homecoming? Our homecoming is always in October (but this year it was a little earlier, on October 1) but prom is at the end of the year, in May.

Written By: EmiLoca on 01/14/06 at 8:55 pm

Hmm... how about the chaos that will emerge when guys from "local variations" all wanna take you as their date to their various proms? ;)

Now THAT, I could imagine.

Written By: EmiLoca on 01/16/06 at 6:45 pm

What are you going on about now?

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 01/17/06 at 2:58 am

I hate you.
Marry me.

Written By: EmiLoca on 01/17/06 at 10:41 pm

Oh yeah, THAT'S real mature.

Written By: Rick D on 01/17/06 at 11:44 pm

Mysterious piano reminder?????

Written By: EmiLoca on 01/18/06 at 11:29 pm

I ended up asking my parents about it.

They said "no way, and you're never getting on AmIRight again."  :\'(

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 01/19/06 at 3:29 am

Mysterious piano reminder?????

...  ???
I find it interesting that by typing five consecutive question marks, you got a question mark left either side of the ??? smiley.
I would have thought it would have gone ??? followed by ??

I ended up asking my parents about it.

They said "no way, and you're never getting on AmIRight again."  :\'(

Is this the piano or marriage thing you tawkin' 'bout?

Written By: Rick D on 01/19/06 at 9:35 am

Whee. Let me know when you move out. Or I'll figure out how to E-mail this stuff. There's a joke. A girl bring her boyfriend home to meet Mom. "This is Joe, he's a musician" Mom says "And?"

Written By: EmiLoca on 01/19/06 at 3:36 pm

Whee. Let me know when you move out. Or I'll figure out how to E-mail this stuff. There's a joke. A girl bring her boyfriend home to meet Mom. "This is Joe, he's a musician" Mom says "And?"

Thanks - and sorry about my parents. 

Assuming I graduate high school, I'll be out of there by next May.  ::)

Written By: Rick D on 01/19/06 at 6:25 pm

Okay. Come to the big city. I have 2 teenage girls that would love to have a third part singer /piano chick in the group.

Written By: Cat on 01/19/06 at 7:42 pm

So Emi...I was wondering, I saw on the earlier threads that your 17th birthday was in September, what is the cutoff date in your school system? Just curious, since by our standards you'd be a junior, after the end of August it goes to the next grade.

Written By: EmiLoca on 01/19/06 at 10:27 pm

So Emi...I was wondering, I saw on the earlier threads that your 17th birthday was in September, what is the cutoff date in your school system? Just curious, since by our standards you'd be a junior, after the end of August it goes to the next grade.

Nawp, I'm just one of the older kids in my grade.  High school junior I am, albeit an older one.  Basically a junior should turn 17 during 2005 or 2006 - that's the "cutoff".  We're lenient, and my parents started me "late".

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 01/19/06 at 10:35 pm

Well, they had to wait until your moustache had been surgically removed. Couldn't have you being teased in class now, could we?

Make good use of these in your library the day before you leave school:
http://www.swarthmore.edu/NatSci/cpurrin1/textbookdisclaimers/

Written By: EmiLoca on 01/19/06 at 11:46 pm

Well, they had to wait until your moustache had been surgically removed. Couldn't have you being teased in class now, could we?

Enough.  With.  The.  References.  To.  My.  Ungodlyamountofbodyhair.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 01/20/06 at 12:33 am

I haven't even started on your nether regions.
(That's right- I know of your little 'toe waxing' regime.)

Written By: K1chyd on 01/20/06 at 2:30 am

I haven't even started on your nether regions.
(That's right- I know of your little 'toe waxing' regime.)

OK, so she's a hobbit, or one of her ancestors was a hobbit during the third age... I find that adorable. ;)

Now, tell me about your ancestors... what penitentiary ship took them from England to Oz? :D

And BTW, how did this thread turn into a new "the only thread that matters"? ???

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 01/20/06 at 3:39 am

Oh, poot! So sorry! Ahem...
Proms in Australia are generally around mid December in Australia. On A Current Affair, they had a human interest story about a Sydney girl taking her toy pup as her date in a miniature tuxedo. It was meant to display one girl's individuality within a social discourse of standards of conformity, but was really just a prime example of how much rich little daddy's girls spend on prom events as a means of perpetuating feminist empowerment whilst hypocritically falling into every stereotype in the book by doing so.

Now, tell me about your ancestors... what penitentiary ship took them from England to Oz? :D

I did my family tree in Year 4 or something using the Tamworth library microfiche (distantly related to tuna). I didn't get back far, only about the turn of the century. My grandmother's grandmother was actually called Australia, though so... yeah. Lucky she wasn't born in Bosnia and Herzegovina or the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

I have a conspiracy theory that Dad's side of the family were involved with Nazis somehow. His place of birth was Yugoslavia before the war, Italy during the war, and is now part of Croatia. They adopted the name 'Brattoni' when they moved to Australia. I guess the tradition carried down when my completely fictional middle-name 'Oswald' somehow managed to become my official HSC/university name.

So to answer your question, it is a deadly concotion of hormones, globalisation and fermented avocados that turned your perfectly fine thread into a foul smattering of matteringness.  ;D

Written By: Cat on 01/20/06 at 6:03 pm

You're one of the older kids in your grade? Luckyyyyyy. I'm one of the youngest in my grade

Written By: K1chyd on 01/22/06 at 3:08 pm

My grandmother's grandmother was actually called Australia, though so... yeah. Lucky she wasn't born in Bosnia and Herzegovina or the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

If that was a rule I've heard of some places in Wales where roll call would take all day, and noone would ever get around to graduation and prom at all!  ;D

Written By: EmiLoca on 01/22/06 at 9:56 pm

You're one of the older kids in your grade? Luckyyyyyy. I'm one of the youngest in my grade

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 01/23/06 at 3:55 am

Come on, Emi.
You know your loathing of driving will never truly be displayed until there's one regarding giant emo specs...
I'll even be nice and digitally edit out your five-o-clock shadow this time. ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...