inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Room Full Of Monkeys?

Written By: Cat on 01/11/06 at 9:57 pm

Hi! Now that I've started posting parodies (I'm almost done with my tenth, which would give me my own page, but even though I've got just a couple verses in the middle to finish up, I've got songwriter's block. Bah.) I was wondering...are there any qualifications you have to have before participating in A Room Full of Monkeys?

The reason I'm saying this is because I have a great idea for a song parody in my head, but I know I couldn't finish it up all by myself, so I thought I'd call on the Monkeys for some help. I don't believe the Monkeys have done a Major-General parody yet, and I have an idea for one. It would be called "He Has A Tendency To Make His Spoofs Incomprehensible," and it would be about TSB. Here's a sample verse I've already written:

He idolizes animated shows about rodentia
This curious subject matter seems a sure sign of dementia
This dude's even got the nerve to do songs that just aren't danceable
He has a tendency to make his spoofs incomprehensible!

What do you think? Is it doable? Or even though he's not exactly a top-rating fixture, is he considered a sacred cow simply because he's so prolific? I'd like to know your thoughts.

Subject: Re: Room Full Of Monkeys?

Written By: EthanM on 01/11/06 at 10:11 pm

The main problem is the site policy against parodies insulting other writers

Written By: Red Ant on 01/11/06 at 10:33 pm

Hi! Now that I've started posting parodies (I'm almost done with my tenth, which would give me my own page, but even though I've got just a couple verses in the middle to finish up, I've got songwriter's block. Bah.) I was wondering...are there any qualifications you have to have before participating in A Room Full of Monkeys?

The reason I'm saying this is because I have a great idea for a song parody in my head, but I know I couldn't finish it up all by myself, so I thought I'd call on the Monkeys for some help. I don't believe the Monkeys have done a Major-General parody yet, and I have an idea for one. It would be called "He Has A Tendency To Make His Spoofs Incomprehensible," and it would be about TSB. Here's a sample verse I've already written:

What do you think? Is it doable? Or even though he's not exactly a top-rating fixture, is he considered a sacred cow simply because he's so prolific? I'd like to know your thoughts.

Ethan is right. The submission rules state:

"No parodies about other parody authors.
No attack parodies please"

While tributes are allowed, what you have written is close enough to an attack that it might not get posted if it were completed. Besides, you're looking at a huge amount of effort about something that pretty much everyone already knows and IMO it probably wouldn't get much feedback, least of all from TSB who comments once in a blue moon.

I had an idea a long time ago for TSB to The Beatles' "Let It Be" (which is a cakewalk compared to the Major-General's song) but I'm not spending my time for a tribute (or even a slam if it were allowed, which I have no interest) for a person who shows zero interest in anyone elses work.

AFAIK, most parodies that I've seen by ARFoM are not co or group written. The name serves for authors that do not want certain parodies under their name for one reason or another. While I'm not familiar with all of the Monkeys, I do know certain members have already done the Major-General's song under their main name.

As far as joining or what not Claude Prez is the man to see about that.

PS: Welcome to the boards Cat.  ;)

Written By: Cat on 01/12/06 at 3:35 pm

Ah, figures. Oh well...gotta be resilient if you want to be on this site...

Speaking of which, I think I probably should change the ending of the current parody that I'm working on since I don't think it'd be acceptable for AmIRight if I left it as it is. It's a little bit more lame than the one I have, but I don't want it to be banned.

I've definitely seen parodies about other parody authors though, like that one about Kristof Robinson. But yeah, that was a tribute. And one more thing...does the no attack rule apply to the 1 Guy as well? Because he deserves it. >:( I was thinking of doing one called "The 1 Guy's Stalking Me" (to the tune of Rockwell's "Somebody's Watching Me") and I've seen attack parodies of the 1 Guy before, but I just wanted to make sure that would get the thumbs-up. Thanks!

Written By: Cat on 01/12/06 at 4:20 pm

Oh, and by the way...I was able to finish the parody that I had trouble on earlier just now, and since that was my tenth, I'm going to get my own page! Yay!

Written By: Rick D on 01/17/06 at 7:56 pm

Hi Cat. Just wanted to tell you that most of the monkey room is Claude Prez. The rest of us team up sometimes and put stuff in. Phil Alexander and I did one to "When You're Lying Awake.." from Iolanthe.

Written By: Rick Cormier on 01/17/06 at 8:17 pm

Ah, figures. Oh well...gotta be resilient if you want to be on this site...

Speaking of which, I think I probably should change the ending of the current parody that I'm working on since I don't think it'd be acceptable for AmIRight if I left it as it is. It's a little bit more lame than the one I have, but I don't want it to be banned.

I've definitely seen parodies about other parody authors though, like that one about Kristof Robinson. But yeah, that was a tribute. And one more thing...does the no attack rule apply to the 1 Guy as well? Because he deserves it. >:( I was thinking of doing one called "The 1 Guy's Stalking Me" (to the tune of Rockwell's "Somebody's Watching Me") and I've seen attack parodies of the 1 Guy before, but I just wanted to make sure that would get the thumbs-up. Thanks!
There have definitely been parodies about the 1's Guy. Here's a fitting tribute I did to him to Gordon Lightfoot's "Sundown".

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/gordonlightfoot52.shtml

Written By: Claude_Prez on 01/17/06 at 9:29 pm

Hi Cat.  Like others have said, I did start the Monkey Room but it's open to all (until some knob enters a password, I guess).  I know your idea above has been shot down but if you or anyone else ever do want to start one I believe the usual procedure is to start a thread with your song title followed by "Group Parody" or something, then start the song.  Usually it will catch on; people like a challenge.  You can also include the original song lyrics in the thread to help it along if you like.  Anyway, good parody idea; I don't know what's up with that guy.

Written By: Cat on 01/20/06 at 6:07 pm

Oh and by the way, if you're interested, I finally finished my 1 Guy parody, it was posted about a week ago:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/rockwell2.shtml

Check for new replies or respond here...