inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bizarre Email I just got

Written By: EthanM on 01/17/06 at 2:02 am

I got a message saying that I sent an E-mail to Jeff Reuben that I definitely did not write. I didn't know his address and I don't believe I've ever sent Jeff an e-mail or received one from him. This is quite strange - what could it possibly mean?

Subject: Re: Bizarre Email I just got

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/17/06 at 7:47 am

Spam that uses keywords? It possibly scanned the Internet, using your name from some source and tried to find another name that you were associated with (regardless of whether you actually communicated with that name), in order to trick you into opening it. I'm sure some techy-geek could explain this in detail with some proper jargon, but that ain't me.

Be on the lookout for a virus in the meantime. ???

Written By: karen on 01/17/06 at 8:02 am

You didn't ever take part in the vote on when his child would be born last year (or was it the year before?)  Might that have registered your e-mail addy somehow?

Written By: jreuben on 01/17/06 at 11:29 am

Did I write back?  :)

Ethan, the same thing happened to me a few years back where Merry of Merry and Pippin got an email from me that I definitely did not send.  In that case, it was not a virus.

It's probably something like what Agrimorfee said.  Something could have scanned my email and yours from inthe00s if both of us have our emails visible, then created spam based on that. 

Pretty sure Ethan didn't do the vote on guessing my daughter's birthdate.

Written By: EthanM on 01/17/06 at 11:43 am

It said you never got the email. Which is probably for the best

Written By: EthanM on 01/21/06 at 3:22 am

Now i got one from probinson... definitely spam and definitely not sent by Paul but probably his address. I know its late but i'm not imagining things.

Written By: Rex on 01/21/06 at 11:58 am

You can report spam to the FTC at http://www.ftc.gov/spam/.

Written By: EthanM on 01/21/06 at 12:38 pm

Thanks... it says forward deceptive spam to the government so that's what I'll probably do

Written By: Peregrin on 01/21/06 at 3:54 pm

Ethan, the same thing happened to me a few years back where Merry of Merry and Pippin got an email from me that I definitely did not send.  In that case, it was not a virus.

You did ?  :o  You must have talked to Merry about it, then, unless my memory is failing me (imagine that)  ::) :P ;D ;D ;D

What was it that we didn't say to you ?  :)

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 01/21/06 at 8:40 pm

I didn't get an email not saying I hadn't sent one to anyone.
Lucky me.

I can't believe I still keep getting variations on that lame African-bank-type spam that no sane person would ever consider for even a second, let alone four years after they went out of fashion.

Written By: EthanM on 01/21/06 at 10:01 pm

I get that too sometimes

Have you seen www.ebolamonkeyman.com ?

Written By: Meriadoc on 01/26/06 at 4:25 pm

Did I write back?   :)

I have absolutely no recollection of thet... :-O

But then, they say the memory is the first thing to go...  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...