inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rick Cormier to Perform Parodies

Written By: Rick Cormier on 01/20/06 at 1:00 pm

Well, since nobody is rushing to book me after my first parody performance at a show I hosted a few months ago, I decided that I need to start doing open mike shows. I have been providing and manning the sound system for comedy shows the past couple of years and, the guy who hired me to do that told me a couple of times that the headliners don't like to work with other comics who haven't paid their dues. You pay your dues by doing open mike nights, until you get established.

For the past few weeks, I have had a cold and, haven't been able to sing at all but, I started feeling better on Wednesday. A friend told me about a club that has open mike night for musicians so, I went there for a trial run. The music was provided by a couple of hosts playing acoustic guitars and, all of the acts that night were guitarist/singers.

The hosts were a bit surprised when I went onstage with my backing tracks on an iPod but, they laughed at my parodies in all the right places.

The audience was another story. As I have experienced with bands I have played with over the years, the audience was primarily there to drink and to talk. Hardly anyone was listening to anything I sang. In fact, at one point, this very overweight biker chick in a cut-off Harley Davidson shirt (her stomach protruded beneath the bottom of it) got up to dance with her boyfriend while I was singing. I don't think this couple realized that the words I was singing were not the same as the OS. A guy and girl at one of the tables screamed back and forth at each other the whole time I was onstage.

If you want people to listen, you have to go to COMEDY open mikes, NOT musical open mikes.

Often, at comedy shows, the host will ask the audience to keep the talking to a minimum and, most of the time, the audience complies.

So, on February 16th, I am doing a 10-minute set at Lew's Place in Tewksbury, MA. This is a comedy open mike night. Admission is free so, if anyone is in the area, I would surely appreciate some support in the audience.

Subject: Re: Rick Cormier to Perform Parodies

Written By: EthanM on 01/20/06 at 1:47 pm

There really isn't a guarantee of people listening at comedy open mics either, at least in New York, since usually the audience is  often other performers primarily concerned with their own sets, but I'm sure it's better than most musical open mics. At least from what you have to say about them.
In NY, the MC is never a first-time performer. People who do work for the club usually get 5-7 minutes near the end of the show, which is what I've been doing for the past few weeks. The MC is usually less experienced than the headliner, but someone who has considerable experience in both open mics and actual shows. However, Tewksbury is not NY and my guess is there aren't nearly as many opportunities to do 5-7 minutes there as there are in a New York Show.
Good luck... I'm a bit too far to make a show there but I think Johnny D is in the area. At least the same state.

Written By: Spaff.com on 01/22/06 at 1:03 pm

Unfortunately Rick, my private jet is already booked on Feb 16. (I have to take Paris and Nicky home from our annual Valentine's Day party.) Otherwise I'd be in Tewksbury for ya.

Knock 'em dead.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Johnny_D on 01/23/06 at 11:26 am

The director of Amadeus put February 16 on our rehearsal schedule, so I will be with you in spirit, Rick. 

Break a leg!    ;D

Written By: Red Ant on 01/23/06 at 10:58 pm

In fact, at one point, this very overweight biker chick in a cut-off Harley Davidson shirt (her stomach protruded beneath the bottom of it) got up to dance with her boyfriend while I was singing. I don't think this couple realized that the words I was singing were not the same as the OS. A guy and girl at one of the tables screamed back and forth at each other the whole time I was onstage.

Were you singing "Large Derriere/Panty Full" and "You Ain't Screamed Nelson Yet!"?  ;)

So, on February 16th, I am doing a 10-minute set at Lew's Place in Tewksbury, MA. This is a comedy open mike night. Admission is free so, if anyone is in the area, I would surely appreciate some support in the audience.

I'd love to come and see but Mass is a wee bit out of the way for me. Good luck with the performance and here's hoping you get more recognition than last time.

Written By: Rick Cormier on 01/24/06 at 3:35 am

Were you singing "Large Derriere/Panty Full" and "You Ain't Screamed Nelson Yet!"?  ;)

No, I haven't recorded the backing tracks for those yet. I was singing "I Wonder if She's a Girl" when the biker chick was dancing.

I'd love to come and see but Mass is a wee bit out of the way for me. Good luck with the performance and here's hoping you get more recognition than last time.

Thanks, Jack.

Written By: 2nz on 01/24/06 at 9:34 pm

I heard once that that's the difference between a comedian and a mucisian: When you're a comedian, people LISTEN to the words.

Best of luck, Rick. It's around a 5 hour trek for me so I don't think I'll be able to swing it this time around. I researched it and will post the official address and a phone number for anyone interested at the bottom of my post. Best of luck again, Rick.

Lew's Place
20 Carter Street
Tewksbury, MA

Phone: 978-640-0250

Written By: Rick Cormier on 01/25/06 at 5:59 am

I heard once that that's the difference between a comedian and a mucisian: When you're a comedian, people LISTEN to the words.

Best of luck, Rick. It's around a 5 hour trek for me so I don't think I'll be able to swing it this time around. I researched it and will post the official address and a phone number for anyone interested at the bottom of my post. Best of luck again, Rick.

Lew's Place
20 Carter Street
Tewksbury, MA

Phone: 978-640-0250

Thank you Glen. That was very considerate of you. I will send an email out to some friends of mine who live in the area. Hopefully, I can get someone to go that night.

I hope to have the backing tracks finished and, be able to perform my "New Pelvis" to the OS "Blue Velvet" that night. I think that might be a funny one to do. I will walk around the stage unsteadily as I sing it, providing a visual to assist in the humor. Also, the "woah, woah, woahs" being sung in the background can be used to my advantage as I hang on the verge of almost keeling over.

Written By: Rick Cormier on 02/18/06 at 8:55 am

Well, it went GREAT! (IMHO) Prior to the show, I got a chance to speak with the host, Kris Earle, and the sound man, Steve Gammelin (not sure I spelled his last name right) and, they both write parodies too. Both of them do standup and, mix parodies into their acts.

There were 9 comics that night. I went on fifth. I did about two minutes of jokes then, gave Steve the sign and, he started my parodies from my iPod. I had made one file out of the backing tracks to four parodies, with a 5 second delay between them.

Everyone (about 50 people) listened to every joke and every parody and, laughed and clapped in all of the right places. I couldn't have asked for a better audience. When I finished, I got a great round of applause and lots of whooping and hollering!

The host wants me back again next month so, it'll be a good place to practice new material and, work toward getting some paying spots.

Written By: Johnny_D on 02/18/06 at 1:56 pm

Well, it went GREAT! (IMHO) Prior to the show, I got a chance to speak with the host, Kris Earle, and the sound man, Steve Gammelin (not sure I spelled his last name right) and, they both write parodies too. Both of them do standup and, mix parodies into their acts.

There were 9 comics that night. I went on fifth. I did about two minutes of jokes then, gave Steve the sign and, he started my parodies from my iPod. I had made one file out of the backing tracks to four parodies, with a 5 second delay between them.

Everyone (about 50 people) listened to every joke and every parody and, laughed and clapped in all of the right places. I couldn't have asked for a better audience. When I finished, I got a great round of applause and lots of whooping and hollering!

The host wants me back again next month so, it'll be a good place to practice new material and, work toward getting some paying spots.

Congratulations, Rick!  Sounds like it was a success!  BRAVO!!    ;D

Maybe I might consider doing a parody or two at one of their open mikes... I could have YOU introduce me, now that you're a veteran of the venue!
;) 8) ;D

Written By: philbo on 02/18/06 at 6:03 pm

Now, that is good to hear, Rick :)

Not sure if there are any comedy open mikes around here (without going in to London, that is), but sounds like it might be fun to try

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 02/18/06 at 6:22 pm

wow, what a great story - I was both nervous for you and envious of you.  I can imagine the satisfaction at putting yourself out there and then making it all come off.  Brilliant :)

Written By: Rick Cormier on 02/19/06 at 9:40 am

Congratulations, Rick!  Sounds like it was a success!  BRAVO!!    ;D

Maybe I might consider doing a parody or two at one of their open mikes... I could have YOU introduce me, now that you're a veteran of the venue!
;) 8) ;D

It would be my pleasure to introduce you, John!

Written By: Rick Cormier on 02/19/06 at 9:45 am

Now, that is good to hear, Rick :)

Not sure if there are any comedy open mikes around here (without going in to London, that is), but sounds like it might be fun to try
Thanks, Phil. Yeah, it's a blast!

Written By: Rick Cormier on 02/19/06 at 9:55 am

wow, what a great story - I was both nervous for you and envious of you.  I can imagine the satisfaction at putting yourself out there and then making it all come off.  Brilliant :)

I was nervous the whole day, until the host called my name, Stu. Then I was fine. The jokes were the hardest part. I left out a few that I meant to use. I'm anxious to do it again. Thanks, Stu.

Check for new replies or respond here...