inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rick and Mari Duncan break-up

Written By: Rick D on 01/22/06 at 2:37 pm

I don't believe in airing dirty laundry, but since many of you here know us both through the site, I just wanted to tell eveyone that my wife has moved out. Her idea, I feel it's a mistake, but I'm dealing with it. Without details, her reasons are that she needed to be by herself for a while and experience independence. She probably won't be contributing to the site anymore.
I am trying to find the bright side of this, despite my usual dark sense of humor, and I'm making this announcment on the off- chance the there is a fellow female parodist out there who may visit the bay area and want some amusing male company. Let me know.

Subject: Re: Rick and Mari Duncan break-up

Written By: Spaff.com on 01/22/06 at 3:04 pm

Isn't her middle name "I RAN OFF"?

Condolences, Rick. In the words of Ray Davies, I hope tomorrow you'll find better things.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Rick D on 01/22/06 at 5:19 pm

Whenever I was gaggiing on something, the joke was "Do you have "air enough?". But in twelve years, I never thought of that one. Thanks, Spaff. That alone was worth posting this thread.

Written By: Rick Cormier on 01/23/06 at 9:23 am

Rick, I am in much the same boat. My wife and I still live together but, probably won't be together by fall. She and I are divorcing after almost 27 years. I have told her I won't leave until we have a purchase and sale agreement on our house. We are still friends but, have grown apart. Our interests are totally different. She is a Christian, I am not. I am a musician, she is not. She dislikes my writing: she feels it's vulgar and, a total waste of time.

The two youngest of my three daughters both have their own apartments near the colleges they attend and, the oldest has lived away from home for 5 years now. I'm not sure whether "empty nest syndrome" played a part in this but, I feel it's probably for the best.

Anyway, I wish both you and Mari happiness.

Written By: Rick D on 01/23/06 at 9:49 am

Rick, thanks. These days, 27 years is a highly successful union. I didn't expect to be in this boat at this age, but that's life. Good luck.

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/23/06 at 10:07 am

OMG. :o
:\'(
I'm so sorry. You seem like the type of person who can bounce back from big losses. Your post reads very sound, very resigned. I hope you are truly taking it in stride.

I wish you the best.

Written By: philbo on 01/23/06 at 4:39 pm

Sorry to hear that, Rick.  I hope that however you and Mari end up, it's an outcome that you can both be happy with.  Have a virtual pint.. no, make that a real one and I'll be virtually there.  If you see what I mean.

Rick, I am in much the same boat. My wife and I still live together but, probably won't be together by fall. She and I are divorcing after almost 27 years. I have told her I won't leave until we have a purchase and sale agreement on our house. We are still friends but, have grown apart. Our interests are totally different. She is a Christian, I am not. I am a musician, she is not. She dislikes my writing: she feels it's vulgar and, a total waste of time.

...reading that makes me feel I've only got another 13 years of married, er, bliss left.  Though I know my wife would change how she feels about the music if it started making money.  Ah, well...

Written By: Red Ant on 01/23/06 at 10:49 pm

Sorry to hear about that Rick D. As for female parodists in CA, isn't Linda Terhune from CA? Nevermind, forget I even said it.  :-
// She dislikes my writing: she feels it's vulgar and, a total waste of time.

Wha?? That's a joke, right? Is it even humanly possible to not like your writing? If my wife told me what I wrote was a total waste of time her stuff would be out on the lawn, right after I changed locks!

Humor aside for the moment (assuming I was joking), I'm sorry to hear about your troubles too Rick C.

Written By: Peregrin on 01/26/06 at 12:02 am

I am sorry to hear that, both Ricks  :(

I sincerely hope everything works out for best for you, and for your partners.

Written By: 2nz on 01/26/06 at 8:23 am

...Sometimes you wanna go, where everybody knows your (pseudo)-name
And they don't care that your wife is lame
You wanna be were you can see
that our troubles are all the same
You wanna go where everybody knows your (pseudo)-name

...Although I guess in this case we know real names already. Sorry to hear about the situation. We're here for ya if you need us.

Written By: Rick D on 01/26/06 at 9:29 am

Thanks again guys. This site and the great people I've communicated with over the past two years has broken me into the internet friends game. I think some of my future friends and relationships may happen in this way also. But you guys were my first.

Written By: jreuben on 01/26/06 at 2:39 pm

I'm sorry to hear about that Rick (and Rick)...I hope everything works out for the best for everyone involved, and that better times lie ahead.

Written By: Meriadoc on 01/26/06 at 4:22 pm

Really sorry to hear about this Rick D. and Rick C. Hang in there.

Written By: marthadtox3 on 01/29/06 at 11:40 am

It msut be very hard after such a long time together....I hope you get throught it ....

Written By: ShannonV on 01/31/06 at 7:59 pm

I don't believe in airing dirty laundry, but since many of you here know us both through the site, I just wanted to tell eveyone that my wife has moved out. Her idea, I feel it's a mistake, but I'm dealing with it. Without details, her reasons are that she needed to be by herself for a while and experience independence. She probably won't be contributing to the site anymore.
I am trying to find the bright side of this, despite my usual dark sense of humor, and I'm making this announcment on the off- chance the there is a fellow female parodist out there who may visit the bay area and want some amusing male company. Let me know.

Wow... she 'run oft' huh? Bummer.
But the "bright side" is really what you make it, isn't it? And you have always been the kind of person who has been able to find opportunity in adversity. I do understand how you wish you didn't have to have "find someone new" on your to-do list.

My "bright side" has been that I have had a lot of time to devote to work, the dark side being that I went through a six hour operation in November. That is why I wrote the song. It came so naturally from actually having to deal with pooping through a hole in my side. :o Thankfully, it is temporary until I heal up inside. Then I should be better than ever when they sew me back together again.

Well, I'm truly sorry that these changes came into your life. I'm hoping that it will lead you to better things.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 01/31/06 at 10:17 pm

Having been born and bred under such circumstances, my observances are that space and time are always needed to get through differences, it's just that you never can tell in what amounts.

Chin up and hope all works out for the best.

Written By: adagio on 02/01/06 at 8:51 am

Rick,  I am very sorry for all your troubles.  As someone who has benefited from your singing, I am somewhat at a loss for words.  :\'(

Written By: Rick D on 02/01/06 at 9:48 am

Thanks Pat. My chin is up, there are a lot of musical people on this here internet, and it's easier these days to find them. I won't be moping and lonely for long. In fact, I'm not!

Written By: larry on 02/02/06 at 12:27 am

Sorry to hear about all this, Rick (and Rick).  We're all here for you in these hard times.

Written By: EmiLoca on 02/03/06 at 12:56 pm

Good luck, Rick.  There's no way we'll let you be lonely.  ;D

Written By: Spaff.com on 02/03/06 at 5:53 pm

she feels it's vulgar and, a total waste of time.

One could describe marriage in those same terms.

One could. Not that I would ever be that cynical.

Condolences, Rick. I'm hoping for better things for you, too. And hoping that you and Rick Duncan don't find yourselves competing for the same better things.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: John Jenkins on 02/03/06 at 10:40 pm

She dislikes my writing: she feels it's vulgar and, a total waste of time.

Are there any married parody writers whose spouses DON'T think their parodies are a waste of time?  I used to think that the two exceptions were Rick and Mari Duncan...

Anyway, I too hope that the scars heal quickly for all of the Duncans and Cormiers, including the kids.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 02/03/06 at 11:10 pm

my condolences too, Rick and Rick, and....

Are there any married parody writers whose spouses DON'T think their parodies are a waste of time?

is a VERY good point JJ.  Mine certainly does.  She'll humour me when I'm particularly proud of something, but I always know she'd rather be doing something more interesting, like watching grass grow

Written By: Arwen on 02/04/06 at 3:23 am

Are there any married parody writers whose spouses DON'T think their parodies are a waste of time?  

I might have to start using that as my excuse for not being married.

Admitting that most fellas have a hard time holding my interest for more than 8 days is getting a little old after 12 years of usage...

Written By: lterhune on 02/06/07 at 3:18 pm

Sorry to hear about that Rick D. As for female parodists in CA, isn't Linda Terhune from CA? Nevermind, forget I even said it.   :-[

Best wishes to the both of you.

I feel badly for Rick and Mari - but as for Red Ant, I just feel sorry for you! By the way, any of you would be lucky to have me!  ::)

Written By: Johnny_D on 02/06/07 at 4:12 pm

I feel badly for Rick and Mari - but as for Red Ant, I just feel sorry for you! By the way, any of you would be lucky to have me!  ::)

Hi Linda! Welcome to the messageboard!  :)

Written By: Red Ant on 02/06/07 at 4:35 pm

Linda finally gets an account!

...and your first post quotes something I said over a year ago.  ???

Well, anyway, welcome to the boards.

Written By: Peregrin on 02/07/07 at 1:17 am

is a VERY good point JJ.  Mine certainly does.  She'll humour me when I'm particularly proud of something, but I always know she'd rather be doing something more interesting, like watching grass grow

An extremely good point.  I am lucky I have a parody partner and we keep each other encouraged  :)  Wouldn't work if I was relying on it from my spouse  ::)  Unless blank looks are a good thing and I am simply mis-reading them  :P :P :P

Written By: malibumike65 on 02/07/07 at 3:36 am

Sorry to hear about your break up Rick. My wife and myself are going through trying times ourselves so I can definitely sympathize. It's not easy to come up with funny lyrics for parodies when the drama in life far outweighs the comedy. Good luck to you, and I hope things get better for you soon.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 02/07/07 at 3:00 pm

......my spouse......

WHAT!!! :o

what next? 

(next you'll be telling me you're the guy in the Humphrey Bear suit) :-\\

Written By: skittlesking on 02/07/07 at 4:18 pm

The two youngest of my three daughters both have their own apartments near the colleges they attend and, the oldest has lived away from home for 5 years now. I'm not sure whether "empty nest syndrome" played a part in this but, I feel it's probably for the best.

Anyway, I wish both you and Mari happiness.

She doesn't believe in having a hobby?  It's not like you try to make a living off of it. . .sorry to both R&R and for what it's worth---You'll always have us  ::)

Written By: Peregrin on 02/08/07 at 2:17 am

WHAT!!! :o

what next? 

(next you'll be telling me you're the guy in the Humphrey Bear suit) :-\\

Eh ?  You are surprised ?  What next ?  I have no desire to be Humphrey Bear (although I am slowly approaching said girth....)  :o

Written By: Rick Cormier on 02/08/07 at 5:40 am

She doesn't believe in having a hobby?  It's not like you try to make a living off of it. . .sorry to both R&R and for what it's worth---You'll always have us  ::)
Wow! I wrote that over a year ago, Dave, and I'm still living here. It shouldn't be too much longer though. We're doing the final touch-ups to get the house ready to go on the market in the next couple of months. We were in front of the judge for our divorce two weeks ago so, due to the waiting period in Massachusetts, our divorce will be official in another 3-1/2 months. We're both counting the days.

Of course, this is all providing fodder for my stand-up routines. Here are a couple of examples:

My ex-wife is a housekeeper. The bitch got to keep my car too.

Some guys think of women only as sex objects...a vagina. I think that's wrong. Although, I do refer to my former wife as the ex-box.

Written By: STG on 02/09/07 at 7:16 am

I might be late for this, but I'm sorry for your troubles Rick and Rick.

May humor rise above and overcome depression or darkness or somethin' of that sort.

from StG

Written By: Rick D on 02/21/07 at 8:42 am

It's been a while since I've checked this. But I'm doing great. I have a new home (a swingin' bachelor pad in the redwoods) I keep an eye on you guys, and I'm recording here and there. Mari and her dopey boyfriend are claiming to be fine. Any of you guys visiting Santa Cruz give me a hollar on the site and we'll do lunch.

Check for new replies or respond here...