inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Reasons why parodies with great pacing don't get good votes

Written By: STG on 02/20/06 at 5:57 am

This is S.T.G. with a wonderful reminder to the parody artist who feels like they are not worth it b/c nobody comments or votes for their parody (even when the pacing is ALMOST perfect to a T) and I've got pretty good reason why. And alsdo, I'll throw in why you might be getting low ratings. These are good rteasons and some of 'em are just plain harsh. I hope you benifit from them, just like  have tried to.
Here are S.T.G.'S

TOP TEN REASONS YOUR PARODIES AREN'T GETTING ANY

Reason #10
"It's just not funny"

Face it, sometimes parodies about childhood tramas, animal abuse, or even the occasional AmIRight tribute aren't really exactly funny. I'm sorry but a parody titled "Chucking Dynamite At Fido: Mailman's Revenge" or "Rape Me: Dr. Phil Episode 3021" isn't that breath taking, at least for a good, humorous reason.

Reason #09
"Your Pacing Sucks"

Nothing against you, but even I, myself, have had parodies where if you sang with it along to the original you would be confused like George Bush giving advice to.......well................anybody. Now some famous people have made parodies where they do a little switch-a-roo on some verses and the pacing truthfully sucks, but they get millions doing this crap, and we don't. Truthfully, parody writing is either a hobby for some, a crappy career choice, or some really messed up obsession.

Reason #08
"Touchy Subjects"

My advice is to never make fun of dead people. Especially Tupac, Notorious B.I.G., or Kurt Cobain. Reason why? Well, a lot of people who might think they are mature can't take a joke. Another one is subjects that really pertain to very, very, VERY serious subjects. One for instance is ABORTION. It just doesn't scream out HUMOR to me when I see any parody in relations to abortion, or even Pro-life parodies. Just telling you people, serious ain't funny, and it might even get some people pissed off. I did a parody about America, and I'm uber-American man, but people took major offence at it. In the end it suffered poorly. But at least the Canadians liked me......................I think.

Reason #07
Parodies about Bands

Apaarently people don't really care if Weird Al pokes fun about Nirvana, and how he can't understand their lyrics, but when a parody artist makes fun of a band or an artist........all hell breaks loose. Riots break out in cities, women are raped, redneck presidents are elected. In other words, chaos breaks out on the comments section. People will call you unworthy to be breathing because you made fun of the boy band, Linkin Park. Or you made fun of Vanessa Carlton. But still make parodies about bands, don't let me stop you. I still do it. But let them know you like this band, if you actually do. Yes, this reason is from past experiance, and just to let you know. I LIKE MOST BANDS I PARODY, YOU DUMB NUTS WHO CAN'T READ FRICKING AUTHOR COMMENTS. YOU SHOULD PROBABLY TAKE SOME MEDICATION FOR EITHER STUPIDITY OR MAYBE YOUR APPARENT A.D.D. Now, let's move on before I have a stroke or a brain hemmorage.

Reason #06
You Might Be Disliked

I haven't seen anything like it happen, but maybe the reason you don't get votes is because people really do hate you. Maybe you have pissed so many people off that you don't have any fans. It's pretty plain and simple. Kinda' like Scott Stapp.

Reason #05
People Don't Know You

This is for the person who just posts parodies and has no interaction with the board. Aside from the lucky b***ards (Tong) you have to let people know who you are on the messageboard, update 'em on what parodies are coming up from your probably-diluted mind. Unless you have some social disease, if you do, you're so SCREWED!

Reason #04
People Don't Know The Original Song

I don't know how many times I've had people put down DKTOS, and they vote straight threes. Yes, sometimes you can afford to have those straight threes: example:if your parody has just decent rating and is slightly funny, or it plain sucks, then straight threes are golden.  But if your parody can go exactly with the original song's pacing then be furious. Why the hell do people vote if they don't the original song. I stay away from those types of songs. The only reason I would check a song that I don't know is because the title might be funny, so if the parody is hilarious and I DKTOS- I then find it reasonable to give the straight threes. But aside from that, leave a person's parody (if you DKTOS) the hell alone.

Reason #03
The Spelling Sucks

Now tha' spelin of a pardy is vry impartnt. If you dont use punkshuation and corict gramma' then peepl wil be confuzed. And evn tho u myt be a terific righter. Ur spelin just myt suk. I'm fyn wit reedn pardys wit bad gramadical errs, but sumtyms it gets to annoyeeng. So............ USE SPELL CHECKER, for GOD'S SAKE.

Reason #02
VULGARITY, OBSCENITY, OR LEWD COMMENTS

I know it fun to take those naughty words and "insert" them "firmly" into a song. But just like the "penile system" and robbery, this site isn't made for lewd, rude, crude, or even nude-like parodies. We got Whatfreaks for that. Either use nifty little substitutes for those wonderful words of vulgarity.

AND THE MAIN REASON YOUR PARODY VOTES ARE LOW, NON-EXISTENT, OR EVEN NOT EVEN ACKNOWLEDGED.
THE ALL-ONES GUY

This menace to society is known as the all-ones guy. I believe there are more than one, but we like making this crime directed to one sole person. We don't know who this person is yet, but we will find him. He is the reason some parody votes look like crap. He will go to your best work and sodomize the perfect fives with an all-ones attack. I believe no parody deserves an all-ones vote. Unless the parody's pacing sucks and the subject is less funnier than your parents dying then you druggie-dilussional creeps should probably be isolated on a deserted island and shot in the head b/c you apparently have no sense of humor whatsoever, you sick-minded Communist.

Ps- This is just something to kill time, but none of the parodies mentioned are real, unless during my time I was gone some really sick person decided to post a parody titled "Chucking Dynamite At Fido: Mailman's Revenge" or "Rape Me: Dr. Phil Episode 3021". Then that's just plain wrong.

from fellow parody author S.T.G.

Subject: Re: Reasons why parodies with great pacing don't get good votes

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/20/06 at 9:45 am

On #08--

Nothing is not funny, it just depends on how well the author writes. Everybody has their limits I suppose--I have had very few yuks from suicide or drug humor.

Written By: Cat on 02/20/06 at 9:47 am

Wow. Amazing. I REALLY wish I'd had this when I started writing spoofs, and maybe some of my earlier work wouldn't be as crapulous as it is. I admit I've been the victim of numerous 1 Guy hazings (and I even wrote a parody about it, "The 1 Guy's Stalking Me") but yeah, compared to what I put out now, my early stuff still sucks.

But I do admit I've given 1's out of spite before, but only to nutcases like Linda Terhune.

Written By: Red Ant on 02/20/06 at 12:12 pm

If I may offer my reasons (in no particular order) why parodies with great pacing don't get good/any votes:

Political - Low votes (but usually high vote counts) come with the territory here. Ask William Tong, he has received over 5000 111 votes.

DKTOS - You could have a perfectly paced piece but if no one knows TOS you may not pick up many/any votes

Author Not Interested In Feedback or Rarely Comments on Other Parodies - Though Tong is the major exception here, IMHO this is the surest way to get overlooked on AmIRight.

Format Needs Work - I've seen a few parodies recently that were formatted quite oddly, and though they paced quite well it took a while to figure out what the author was trying to do.

Luck of The Update - Occasionally it seems like everyone decides to take a collective day off from the site. If there are only 10 parodies up you probably won't get as many votes as a day when there are 40.

Overposting - I generally only have time to read 1, maybe 2 parodies from a given author per day. IMHO If you have 7 or 10 up on one day you will receive less votes than if you spaced them out over a weeks' time.

Topic Too Obscure - Example: If you write a parody about video games in general you should be fine, most people know the classics (Pac Man, etc) but if you make an entire parody about Level 5 of Castlevania II with all the hidden power ups, end bosses, etc no one is going to know what the hell you are talking about.

Anyways, that's my two cents.

Written By: Cat on 02/20/06 at 2:13 pm

Topic Too Obscure - Example: If you write a parody about video games in general you should be fine, most people know the classics (Pac Man, etc) but if you make an entire parody about Level 5 of Castlevania II with all the hidden power ups, end bosses, etc no one is going to know what the hell you are talking about.

*cough* TSB *cough*

Written By: nally on 02/20/06 at 2:36 pm

If I may offer my reasons (in no particular order) why parodies with great pacing don't get good/any votes:

Political - Low votes (but usually high vote counts) come with the territory here. Ask William Tong, he has received over 5000 111 votes.

Which I think is totally unfair. I have been reading his parodies since the November 2000 election, and voting 5-5-5 on all of them for which I know the original song. I bet a lot of people who sabotage the ratings on them support Republicans like GW Bush. But still, voting one for pacing on a perfectly paced parody is rather harsh (for lack of a better word). A vote is a terrible thing to waste.

Written By: Step-chan on 02/20/06 at 3:16 pm

This is S.T.G. with a wonderful reminder to the parody artist who feels like they are not worth it b/c nobody comments or votes for their parody (even when the pacing is ALMOST perfect to a T) and I've got pretty good reason why. And alsdo, I'll throw in why you might be getting low ratings. These are good rteasons and some of 'em are just plain harsh. I hope you benifit from them, just like  have tried to.
Here are S.T.G.'S

Reason #10
"It's just not funny"

Face it, sometimes parodies about childhood tramas, animal abuse, or even the occasional AmIRight tribute aren't really exactly funny. I'm sorry but a parody titled "Chucking Dynamite At Fido: Mailman's Revenge" or "Rape Me: Dr. Phil Episode 3021" isn't that breath taking, at least for a good, humorous reason.

Reason #09
"Your Pacing Sucks"

Nothing against you, but even I, myself, have had parodies where if you sang with it along to the original you would be confused like George Bush giving advice to.......well................anybody. Now some famous people have made parodies where they do a little switch-a-roo on some verses and the pacing truthfully sucks, but they get millions doing this crap, and we don't. Truthfully, parody writing is either a hobby for some, a crappy career choice, or some really messed up obsession.

Reason #08
"Touchy Subjects"

My advice is to never make fun of dead people. Especially Tupac, Notorious B.I.G., or Kurt Cobain. Reason why? Well, a lot of people who might think they are mature can't take a joke. Another one is subjects that really pertain to very, very, VERY serious subjects. One for instance is ABORTION. It just doesn't scream out HUMOR to me when I see any parody in relations to abortion, or even Pro-life parodies. Just telling you people, serious ain't funny, and it might even get some people pissed off. I did a parody about America, and I'm uber-American man, but people took major offence at it. In the end it suffered poorly. But at least the Canadians liked me......................I think.

Reason #07
Parodies about Bands

Apaarently people don't really care if Weird Al pokes fun about Nirvana, and how he can't understand their lyrics, but when a parody artist makes fun of a band or an artist........all hell breaks loose. Riots break out in cities, women are raped, redneck presidents are elected. In other words, chaos breaks out on the comments section. People will call you unworthy to be breathing because you made fun of the boy band, Linkin Park. Or you made fun of Vanessa Carlton. But still make parodies about bands, don't let me stop you. I still do it. But let them know you like this band, if you actually do. Yes, this reason is from past experiance, and just to let you know. I LIKE MOST BANDS I PARODY, YOU DUMB NUTS WHO CAN'T READ FRICKING AUTHOR COMMENTS. YOU SHOULD PROBABLY TAKE SOME MEDICATION FOR EITHER STUPIDITY OR MAYBE YOUR APPARENT A.D.D. Now, let's move on before I have a stroke or a brain hemmorage.

Reason #06
You Might Be Disliked

I haven't seen anything like it happen, but maybe the reason you don't get votes is because people really do hate you. Maybe you have pissed so many people off that you don't have any fans. It's pretty plain and simple. Kinda' like Scott Stapp.

Reason #05
People Don't Know You

This is for the person who just posts parodies and has no interaction with the board. Aside from the lucky b***ards (Tong) you have to let people know who you are on the messageboard, update 'em on what parodies are coming up from your probably-diluted mind. Unless you have some social disease, if you do, you're so SCREWED!

Reason #04

I don't know how many times I've had people put down DKTOS, and they vote straight threes. Yes, sometimes you can afford to have those straight threes: example:if your parody has just decent rating and is slightly funny, or it plain sucks, then straight threes are golden.   But if your parody can go exactly with the original song's pacing then be furious. Why the hell do people vote if they don't the original song. I stay away from those types of songs. The only reason I would check a song that I don't know is because the title might be funny, so if the parody is hilarious and I DKTOS- I then find it reasonable to give the straight threes. But aside from that, leave a person's parody (if you DKTOS) the hell alone.

Reason #03
The Spelling Sucks

Now tha' spelin of a pardy is vry impartnt. If you dont use punkshuation and corict gramma' then peepl wil be confuzed. And evn tho u myt be a terific righter. Ur spelin just myt suk. I'm fyn wit reedn pardys wit bad gramadical errs, but sumtyms it gets to annoyeeng. So............ USE SPELL CHECKER, for GOD'S SAKE.

Reason #02

I know it fun to take those naughty words and "insert" them "firmly" into a song. But just like the "penile system" and robbery, this site isn't made for lewd, rude, crude, or even nude-like parodies. We got Whatfreaks for that. Either use nifty little substitutes for those wonderful words of vulgarity.

AND THE MAIN REASON YOUR PARODY VOTES ARE LOW, NON-EXISTENT, OR EVEN NOT EVEN ACKNOWLEDGED.
THE ALL-ONES GUY

This menace to society is known as the all-ones guy. I believe there are more than one, but we like making this crime directed to one sole person. We don't know who this person is yet, but we will find him. He is the reason some parody votes look like crap. He will go to your best work and sodomize the perfect fives with an all-ones attack. I believe no parody deserves an all-ones vote. Unless the parody's pacing sucks and the subject is less funnier than your parents dying then you druggie-dilussional creeps should probably be isolated on a deserted island and shot in the head b/c you apparently have no sense of humor whatsoever, you sick-minded Communist.

Ps- This is just something to kill time, but none of the parodies mentioned are real, unless during my time I was gone some really sick person decided to post a parody titled "Chucking Dynamite At Fido: Mailman's Revenge" or "Rape Me: Dr. Phil Episode 3021". Then that's just plain wrong.

Number 4 is the main one I'm guilty of(I have submitted parodies to rare songs alot of times), I also wasn't reading and voting/commenting the new entries until late last year(I was going into the parody author page at that time instead), when informed that it will help me at least get comments more often on my songs. I also made the mistake of using "Stephen aka Step-chan" instead of "Stephen Harrington"(my real name and author name), after I started using my author name, I started getting feedback more often. I also get ideas for anime parodies alot(although it's alittle less frequent now) and I do alot of parodies to Nirvana songs, so that's another reason why, the most votes I've ever gotten is 8, I have yet to see double digits. I also use internet at the library, which means I'm not going to be online everyday(usually 4-5 days a week at the most). Once I can internet at home, that will no longer be a problem.

:) ;)

Written By: A. Guest on 02/20/06 at 3:28 pm

Some people also seem to make bad votes on a parody if the decade is wrong. I've noticed that too.

Written By: Step-chan on 02/20/06 at 3:33 pm

Which is a silly(and mean) reason to do it.

Written By: philbo on 02/20/06 at 6:30 pm

It *is* possible to get a hit out of a virtually unknown song (this one for example, or at least it was before all the votes were lost)... I'm a regular offender with the Noel Coward, Flanders and Swann, George Formby and such like that nobody knows.  Not to mention political parodies and the occasional splenetic rant: I find it kind of cathartic to vent my proverbial spleen into a parody.  At times, these even get high "humour" votes (which means, I guess, that people *do* on occasion vote on how moving/forceful a parody was rather than how funny, when humour obviously wasn't the aim).

Written By: Rex on 02/20/06 at 8:15 pm

You can get votes and feedback if you enter one of the many parody contests, but then you also have to vote and comment on all the other parodies in the contest. But if you're willing to make the time...

Written By: EthanM on 02/21/06 at 2:17 am

What's a weel-known song n amiright and what's a well-known song in the real world can be completely different things. I'll explain tomorrow if necessary.

Written By: Red Ant on 02/21/06 at 3:54 am

What's a weel-known song n amiright and what's a well-known song in the real world can be completely different things. I'll explain tomorrow if necessary.

I kinda/sorta get what you mean, Cold Play's "Talk" is #1 right now and obviously millions of people have the CD and request it on radio. That said, I have "X&Y" and still don't know the song very well. I don't think it's a particularly memorable or great song, or one that lends itself to a funny parody.

I'm guessing 90% of those who visit AmIRight regularly don't know this song at all.

On the other hand, I'm guessing at least 60% of regular AmIRight authors know the Major-General's song even though it's a century old and never gets played on the radio.

Written By: EthanM on 02/21/06 at 11:15 am

Talk is #1 in the international online charts, and check on it is #1 on billboard. The latter is much more likely to get stuck in somebody's head, and something I should make a parody of if I think of something decent, but the vast majority here probably won't know it.

I did a year-end recap song to the tune of "Behind these Hazel Eyes", which was #1 for the year according to NY city's most popular station, and I got one vote on it. I got a much better reception when I performed it at the club I barback for the day after New Years'

Written By: Peregrin on 02/21/06 at 8:51 pm

Talk is #1 in the international online charts, and check on it is #1 on billboard. The latter is much more likely to get stuck in somebody's head, and something I should make a parody of if I think of something decent, but the vast majority here probably won't know it.

Why do you think that is ?

In my case I can tell you why, because I am a self-confessed older person  ;D  "Talk" is definitely not going to be played on any radio station that I will be listening to.  So it's billboard, international or milky way rating is irrelevant to me, I am afraid  :(

And if I DKTOS, then the simple fact is that I am more likely to gravitate to the songs that I do know.  I think a lot of people would be like that, there are so many parodies released each day, it is hard to get the luxury of reading anywhere near but a small % of them  :(

Written By: Peregrin on 02/21/06 at 8:55 pm

Here are S.T.G.'S

Reason #08
"Touchy Subjects"

My advice is to never make fun of dead people. Especially Tupac, Notorious B.I.G., or Kurt Cobain. Reason why? Well, a lot of people who might think they are mature can't take a joke. Another one is subjects that really pertain to very, very, VERY serious subjects.

Firstly, STG lemme say how much I enjoyed reading this (the whole post)  :)

Secondly lemme also say that an upcoming M&P parody is possibly gonna cause some people to at least wonder about us, given your comments above in Section 8  ;D

But as we sometimes add "It's just a parody, not a lifestyle choice"  :P

Written By: Meriadoc on 02/22/06 at 12:16 am

Firstly, STG lemme say how much I enjoyed reading this (the whole post)  :)

Secondly lemme also say that an upcoming M&P parody is possibly gonna cause some people to at least wonder about us, given your comments above in Section 8  ;D

But as we sometimes add "It's just a parody, not a lifestyle choice"  :P

Eeeeek! (Makes mental note to either scrap said upcoming parody or at least find a way to insert Kurt Cobain into it... ::)  )

Written By: Red Ant on 02/22/06 at 1:56 am

I forgot three possibly reasons:

Overdone Topic or Parody Title: There have been numerous parodies the past week about Dick Cheney Shooting that lawyer. While funny at first, if you are the 6th person doing "Cheney's Got A Gun" (sorry fella) it gets old really fast (I didn't vote on any past the first one).

There are roughly 22 parodies of "Complicated" called "Constipated". If you want to be ignored completely or draw a pile of triple 1s then make #23.

The Reader Doesn't Know The Song As Well As You Do: Or has forgotten exactly how it goes. Or perhaps is listening to a different version.

Apparent Dyslexic Voting: It hasn't happened to me in a long time but I've had people say in comments 'great pacing but not funny' and vote a 255 instead of what I'm guessing was supposed to be a 525. Or a 354 instead of a 534.

Written By: Step-chan on 02/22/06 at 2:37 pm

It *is* possible to get a hit out of a virtually unknown song

Not in my case, a little rain cloud apparently follows me around here on the site when it comes to parodies of rare songs(except for Here She Comes Now, my highest voter count, all 8 of them). So I don't get my hopes up with rare material.

Written By: Step-chan on 02/24/06 at 1:32 pm

Overdone Topic or Parody Title: There have been numerous parodies the past week about Dick Cheney Shooting that lawyer. While funny at first, if you are the 6th person doing "Cheney's Got A Gun" (sorry fella) it gets old really fast (I didn't vote on any past the first one).

I voted on the first four, the first two I voted on are the best, the third and fourth weren't as good. I stopped after those four(alot of parodies that go up on this site I don't know the original too, so that's part of the reason why I voted on the first four), I looked at the fifth one real quick, but didn't vote.

Written By: Josh2 on 03/05/06 at 2:20 pm

I think I'm an exception from Point Number 5

Written By: Rick Cormier on 03/14/06 at 11:00 am

The reasons I skip parodies:

1. DKTOS or artist.

2. If I know an author doesn't read my stuff, I won't read theirs. I never read William Tong's work anymore. I read quite a few of them when I first came here but, his subject matter is too repetetive (IMHO, of course). Exception: Newbies. I do try to read and comment on newbie parodies as often as I can.

3. If an author posts four parodies a day, I'll only read, vote and comment on 1, maybe 2 of them. If they post 2, I may sometimes read both but, more often than not, I'll only read, comment and vote on 1.

Written By: Step-chan on 03/14/06 at 11:11 am

The reasons I skip parodies:

1. DKTOS or artist.

2. If I know an author doesn't read my stuff, I won't read theirs. I never read William Tong's work anymore. I read quite a few of them when I first came here but, his subject matter is too repetetive (IMHO, of course). Exception: Newbies. I do try to read and comment on newbie parodies as often as I can.

3. If an author posts four parodies a day, I'll only read, vote and comment on 1, maybe 2 of them. If they post 2, I may sometimes read both but, more often than not, I'll only read, comment and vote on 1.

Number 2 is one reason I won't vote on some others, I have actually voted and/or commented on 15 parodies one day, and still didn't get many votes. I had submitted two parodies(which isn't too often for me, nowadays) that day, so that might have been the reason, but one of the parodies I did was to a much newer song(the only thing was the theme was very specific), Blessranger is someone I had voted on before, but don't really do it now(due to him/her feeling no need to reciprocate). The next day after submitting the my previous parodies, I didn't feel very charitable(I didn't vote on many parodies).

Written By: philbo on 03/16/06 at 3:11 pm

Blessranger is someone I had voted on before, but don't really do it now(due to him/her feeling no need to reciprocate).

Have to say the main reason I don't usually check out Blessranger's any more is that they're nearly always so very disappointing: there's some cracking titles, but the execution is barely worthwhile.

If I DKTOS, it takes a very interesting title to make me check a song out, but it does happen; more usually I'll pick up a goodie from scanning the comments.

Written By: Step-chan on 03/16/06 at 4:05 pm

If I DKTOS, it takes a very interesting title to make me check a song out, but it does happen; more usually I'll pick up a goodie from scanning the comments.

Me too in that case, I'll usually check it out if I DKTOS, but do know the theme.

Written By: Red Ant on 03/17/06 at 4:36 am

Here are S.T.G.'S

TOP TEN REASONS YOUR PARODIES AREN'T GETTING ANY VOTES

Reason #07
Parodies about Bands

Song satires are usually the most fun I have when writing. Band satires (slamming a whole band instead of just the song being parodied) are a whole 'nother ball of wax. If anyone is interested (probably not) check out this Linkin Park diss by nuero:

God I Hate Linkin Park

283 mostly illiterate comments and 261 votes, a good 150 of which are 1s.

"People will call you unworthy to be breathing because you made fun of the boy band, Linkin Park." - You pretty much nailed that one.

Reason #06
You Might Be Disliked

// Maybe you have pissed so many people off that you don't have any fans. It's pretty plain and simple. Kinda' like Scott Stapp.

LOL!!!

Written By: K1chyd on 03/17/06 at 7:34 am

Truthfully, parody writing is either a hobby for some, a crappy career choice, or some really messed up obsession.

Either? Or? Can

Written By: Rick Cormier on 03/24/06 at 7:01 am

One more reason your parody may get low votes:

Some people are IDIOTS!

I submitted a parody, which was word for word, syllable for syllable in synch with the OS and, recorded it. There's no doubt the pacing's dead on, if you compare it with the way the OS is sung. I still got dinged on pacing.

Written By: Yes, Weird Al, himself on 03/24/06 at 8:59 am

One more reason your parody may get low votes:

Some people are IDIOTS!

I submitted a parody, which was word for word, syllable for syllable in synch with the OS and, recorded it. There's no doubt the pacing's dead on, if you compare it with the way the OS is sung. I still got dinged on pacing.

Hi Rick, this is Weird Al (yes, himself!)

I saw your post and I'm flabbergasted.  I never fuss over syllable-count, and it's never seemed to bother anybody!

check out my subs from "Eat It":
OS:          The Fire's In Their Eyes And Their Words Are Really Clear - 12 syllables (13 if "fire's" counts as 2)
My Lyrics:  Well, don't you know that other kids are starving in Japan - 14 syllables

OS:          You Wanna Be Tough, Better Do What You Can        -  11 syllables
My Lyrics:  You won't get no dessert 'till you clean off your plate  -  12 syllables

and that's just in the first 6 lines!  Gee, I'd better straighten up and fly right!

well yes, of course it's Stu, Rick, but I thought I'd lie low and post in disguise, as I've been a bit over-vocal on this SUBJECTIVE (!!!) issue lately ;)

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/24/06 at 9:03 am

"Al" has a point!  :D

Written By: yes, Weird Al, himself on 03/24/06 at 9:31 am

"Al" has a point!  :D

why thankyou, Agri, and might I say, I LOVE-LOVE-LOVED your "Decade Police"

Written By: Rick Cormier on 03/24/06 at 12:01 pm

I saw your post and I'm flabbergasted.  I never fuss over syllable-count, and it's never seemed to bother anybody!

OS:          The Fire's In Their Eyes And Their Words Are Really Clear - 12 syllables (13 if "fire's" counts as 2)
My Lyrics:  Well, don't you know that other kids are starving in Japan - 14 syllables

My Lyrics:  You won't get no dessert 'till you clean off your plate  -  12 syllables

and that's just in the first 6 lines!  Gee, I'd better straighten up and fly right!

well yes, of course it's Stu, Rick, but I thought I'd lie low and post in disguise, as I've been a bit over-vocal on this SUBJECTIVE (!!!) issue lately ;)

LOL!

Written By: Step-chan on 04/15/06 at 2:38 pm

(Scratches my head, pondering who this is...) ::)

Written By: Step-chan on 04/15/06 at 2:45 pm

THE ALL-ONES GUY

Well, we've all had this one at one time or another. They also don't post any comments 99.9999999999999% of the time, so it's more of an annoyance than anything else. I have posted comments asking for their input(like others have done from time to time), but have only gotten a response once(which I didn't get to see, it was moderated because it had profanity in it. I was PMed about it later).

Written By: linda terhune on 08/02/06 at 1:33 pm

But I do admit I've given 1's out of spite before, but only to nutcases like Linda Terhune.

Lovely people!

Written By: Jeremy Otto on 08/09/06 at 1:14 pm

Thank you for the heads up, STG. I now know why most of my parodies are not getting votes! Part of my problem is my timing is a bit off. For example, the parody I just put on amiright of Five for Fighting's brand new song "The Riddle (You and I)". That song is just now starting to get played on the radio, so I think most people haven't heard of it yet. DKTOS is going to be a problem here!

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 08/09/06 at 2:07 pm

Thank you for the heads up, STG. I now know why most of my parodies are not getting votes! Part of my problem is my timing is a bit off. For example, the parody I just put on amiright of Five for Fighting's brand new song "The Riddle (You and I)". That song is just now starting to get played on the radio, so I think most people haven't heard of it yet. DKTOS is going to be a problem here!

Jeremy, I'll keep my eye out for your work...I'm all for encouraging new writers. One bit of advice, though. A song that's popular in the real world, doesn't necessarily get that much attention at Amiright. Those who will actually take time to read your parodies, vote and give feedback, also don't tend to be overly familiar with new bands or current chart songs, unless they are MEGA successful. Don't expect many votes from younger visitors to the site...those who are familiar with current "in" bands generally can't be bothered to support other writers (there are exceptions, but not many)

Sad as it is, you've got two choices...
1) keep writing parodies of new songs, but don't expect a lot of feedback, or...

2) Expand your repertoire to old songs and different types of music (not necessarily music you're even into). It WILL challenge you in terms of your writing, and you WILL get more feedback. For example, I HATE Michael Jackson with a passion, yet I've parodied his songs on a number of occasions. I often actually find it easier to parody a song I don't like; it's easier to make fun of.

Good luck

Written By: Arwen on 08/09/06 at 2:20 pm

Five for Fighting's brand new song "The Riddle (You and I)".

Oh my GOSH...I love that song so much!  I'm going to have to check your parody out... :)

Written By: nally on 08/09/06 at 6:57 pm

Five for Fighting's brand new song "The Riddle (You and I)". That song is just now starting to get played on the radio, so I think most people haven't heard of it yet.

Oh my GOSH...I love that song so much!  I'm going to have to check your parody out... :)

Yeah it's a good one. :) Recently the group performed that song on "Live! With Regis & Kelly"; frontman John Ondrasik told all about it after the commercial break.

Written By: Spaff.com on 08/09/06 at 9:40 pm

Reason #10
"It's just not funny"

I think "Chucking Dynamite At Fido: Mailman's Revenge" is a hilarious title. Seriously. Can I use it?

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/11/06 at 11:09 am

I think "Chucking Dynamite At Fido: Mailman's Revenge" is a hilarious title. Seriously. Can I use it?

xoxox
Spaff

Or how about "Chucking Chinamite At Five Votes: Beijing's Revenge" ?

Written By: Step-chan on 08/11/06 at 1:19 pm

Here are S.T.G.'S

Reason #10
"It's just not funny"

Reason #09
"Your Pacing Sucks"

Reason #08
"Touchy Subjects"

Reason #07
Parodies about Bands

Reason #06
You Might Be Disliked

Reason #05
People Don't Know You

Reason #04

I don't know how many times I've had people put down DKTOS, and they vote straight threes. Yes, sometimes you can afford to have those straight threes: example:if your parody has just decent rating and is slightly funny, or it plain sucks, then straight threes are golden.   But if your parody can go exactly with the original song's pacing then be furious. Why the hell do people vote if they don't the original song. I stay away from those types of songs. The only reason I would check a song that I don't know is because the title might be funny, so if the parody is hilarious and I DKTOS- I then find it reasonable to give the straight threes. But aside from that, leave a person's parody (if you DKTOS) the hell alone.

Reason #03
The Spelling Sucks

Reason #02

THE ALL-ONES GUY

Sometimes, the people who vote use all three rating numbers based how funny it is, I got a comment where one person said they didn't care for it and then 111d me. I knew the pacing was good, so I got ahold of him and explained what the pacing stood for, since he's new here. He said he was using all three numbers as the basis for humor, which explains why he rated it that way. One thing I will say, at least he left a comment with his rating and I appreciate that, most 111 voters don't do that at all. I wasn't so much mad, just alittle annoyed, it's a parody of a Nirvana song(which I've done plenty of and know how to pace right).

Check for new replies or respond here...