inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: semantics

Written By: JohnD on 04/03/06 at 1:15 am

Is there a word that means "a parody that's not supposed to be funny"??  (just a song with the same music but different lyrics; not even a satire; just a blatant rip-off cuz you think the music should be used for better lyrics)

Is there a word?

Subject: Re: semantics

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/03/06 at 1:17 am

Is there a word that means "a parody that's not supposed to be funny"??  (just a song with the same music but different lyrics; not even a satire; just a blatant rip-off cuz you think the music should be used for better lyrics)

Is there a word?

I'm not in the parody business, so I could be off, but perhaps "rewrite" would fit the bill?

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/03/06 at 8:47 am

Is there a word?

two words: "P. Diddy's Discography"  ;)

Written By: karen on 04/03/06 at 9:01 am

Here's a whole discussion on what to call serious parodies.  Not sure if they reached any conclusion though

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,11294.0.html

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/03/06 at 10:42 am

if it deels with sci-fi, people generally call it "filk"

otherwise, I think it could be considered a "pastiche"

http://a9.com/parody

skimming the wikipedia article on parody, it mentions pastiche, which is a new work based on older works

a work is called pastiche if it was cobbled together in imitation of several original works

but maybe not since they are referring to a case when several are used.

I know when two songs are combined, they call it a mashup, but not quite what you're talking about either.

Folk music has hundreds of examples of this, where newer folk pieces use existing melodies.

Written By: Rex on 04/03/06 at 9:14 pm

two words: "P. Diddy's Discography"  ;)

:o ;D :o ;D :o ;D :o ;D :o ;D :o ;D :o ;D :o ;D :o ;D :o ;D :o ;D :o ;D :o ;D :o ;D :o ;D :o ;D :o ;D :o ;D :o ;D :o ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...