inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Grammar question - dividing fruits and veggies

Written By: K1chyd on 05/02/06 at 11:32 pm

Hi People! I'm looking for an English word again. You know when you divide things like oranges, garlic and artichokes into their smaller parts, is there a word for those parts or do you just refer to them as parts/sections/segments or something like that? ???

Subject: Re: Grammar question - dividing fruits and veggies

Written By: Red Ant on 05/03/06 at 12:21 am

Hi People! I'm looking for an English word again. You know when you divide things like oranges, garlic and artichokes into their smaller parts, is there a word for those parts or do you just refer to them as parts/sections/segments or something like that? ???

Segments work for me, though "slices" and "tidbits" are used too, the latter with pineapple. Garlic may be "halves". Artichokes, no clue. As for an 'official' word for the parts, I don't know.

Many foods here are referred to in the way they are cut/prepared, such as "diced pears", "minced garlic", etc.

Written By: K1chyd on 05/03/06 at 1:06 am

Segments work for me, though "slices" and "tidbits" are used too, the latter with pineapple. Garlic may be "halves". Artichokes, no clue. As for an 'official' word for the parts, I don't know.

Many foods here are referred to in the way they are cut/prepared, such as "diced pears", "minced garlic", etc.

With the help of those suggestions I googled a little and also found "garlic cloves", which seems to correspond quite well with the term I'm used to over here. Any opinions on "cloves"?

Written By: Red Ant on 05/03/06 at 1:48 am

With the help of those suggestions I googled a little and also found "garlic cloves", which seems to correspond quite well with the term I'm used to over here. Any opinions on "cloves"?

They work well for repelling vampires and members of the opposite species. I take my chances with vampires.  ;)

Cloves work fine too, and note that cloves does not rhyme with "loves" or "moves", it has a hard "o" sound in it, like so, though, etc. I'm not sure why, but rhymezone lists "clove" as having no perfect rhymes. I disagree, it rhymes with "dove" (as in the past tense of "dive"), and so on.

Written By: K1chyd on 05/03/06 at 4:16 am

They work well for repelling vampires and members of the opposite species.

There's a difference? ???

Thanks, I'll be careful if I have to use a rhyme for it.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/03/06 at 5:46 am

There's a difference? ???

Thanks, I'll be careful if I have to use a rhyme for it.

That was supposed to read "..and members of the opposite sex". I'm going to bed.  :D

Written By: karen on 05/03/06 at 9:02 am

garlic I would split into cloves.  Oranges I would split into segments.  Never knowingly cooked with an artichoke.

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/03/06 at 10:45 am

And thereafter, cloves are usually crushed.

Written By: K1chyd on 05/03/06 at 11:43 pm

That was supposed to read "..and members of the opposite sex". I'm going to bed.  :D

Just make sure you sleep next to the opposite species so that you don't wake up drained!

(I thought your phrasing was funny, maybe you've reached the stage where your parodist subconscious is always at work).

Written By: K1chyd on 05/07/06 at 2:52 am

And of course this all resulted in a parody - one called "Garlic"

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/rainbow0.shtml

Check for new replies or respond here...