inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Big Three Club

Written By: Cat on 05/06/06 at 9:44 pm

As I mentioned in my parody "A Parodist's Dilemma," I established that the informal "Big Three" for AmIRighters

Subject: Re: The Big Three Club

Written By: Johnny_D on 05/06/06 at 11:24 pm

Cat --- over on the "Do you dream amiright" thread, I issued a friendly challenge to you --- interested in writing a parody of Bob Dylan's "Desolation Row" ?  On that other thread, you claim that for you, no OS is insurmountable...let's see whatcha got, kiddo!  :)

Here's a link to the correct lyrics of "Desolation Row":

http://www.bobdylan.com/songs/desolation.html

Let's see, what would be The Big Seven?

Not in any particular order...

American Pie
The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald
The Major-General's Song
Be Our Guest
Bohemian Rhapsody
Blinded By The Light
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

I guess "Desolation Row" could be added to that list, too!

I've posted parodies for all of the above except "Be Our Guest".

I might hold the AmIRight record for the largest number of Bohemian Rhapsody parodies by the same author: 9

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 05/07/06 at 12:37 am

Great topic Cat, and I totally agree with Red Ant and Johnny D that it should really be "The Big Seven" - as those seven mentioned seem to have developed a life of their own on amiright.

I recall Ethan saying that he had done all 7 as well, with his recent "Blinded By The Light" parody marking his 350th parody, from memory.

I certainly see the 7 that Jack and Johnny mentioned as the big 7, and I respect them more than other OS'es in that I would only parody them if I was certain I'd be proud of the outcome. 

I've done 5 of them (I'm just finishing my "Bo Rap" and it should come out this week - how you've managed 9 BoRaps Johnny is mind-blowing :o)

I have been racking my brain but am yet to do a TWOTEF because I can't think of a theme that will sustain 14 verses and suit the ballady rhythm of the OS (like your Bode Miller did, Cat, and like I recall Kristof's Royal Wedding doing, from last year)

The other one I haven't done is "Blinded."  I've tried to start it, but it demands strong syllable-matching (JD's specialty) as a feature, to be any good, and it's just stumped me every time.

There should also be am amiright second division (the next 7).  That would also make an interesting discussion. 

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 05/07/06 at 12:51 am

IMO most Eminem songs make the big 3 look like a walk in the park.

LOL, Jack. And that's why Luke Brattoni is under-rated (IMO) on amiright, because he's done nearly every eminem song and done them so well

suggestions for the next 7:

My Favourite Things
50 Ways TLYL
Sgt Pepper's LHCB
Boulevarde Of Broken Dreams
My Way
Hello Muddah, Hello Fuddah
Smells Like Teen Spirit

(just off the top of my head - there's bound to be more worthy ones than that)

Written By: Red Ant on 05/07/06 at 1:13 am

LOL, Jack. And that's why Luke Brattoni is under-rated (IMO) on amiright, because he's done nearly every eminem song and done them so well

I have a lot of respect for Luke's skill, especially with rap songs. Don't tell him I said that though.  ;)

The most time I've poured into one parody was about 40 hours over the course of 2 weeks. I imagine doing a song like "Criminal" or "Sing For The Moment" well could easily take me twice that long.

I have been racking my brain but am yet to do a TWOTEF because I can't think of a theme that will sustain 14 verses and suit the ballady rhythm of the OS (like your Bode Miller did, Cat, and like I recall Kristof's Royal Wedding doing, from last year)

I finally have an idea for TWOTEF and enough material to sustain 14 verses. Writing it has been on hold though since I'm working (very slowly) on another song with 15 verses of AABCCB rhyme scheme (same as TWOTEF). That song has syllable counts all over the place: 8-19 per line, and no two verses are alike.

The other one I haven't done is "Blinded."  I've tried to start it, but it demands strong syllable-matching (JD's specialty) as a feature, to be any good, and it's just stumped me every time.

Agreed. I have two ideas for that one, though only one has any potential past a title. If anyone wants this idea, it is theirs:

"I Did Heidi Fleiss"  ;D

The other one I'll keep.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/07/06 at 1:26 am

suggestions for the next 7:

My Favourite Things
50 Ways TLYL
Sgt Pepper's LHCB
Boulevarde Of Broken Dreams
My Way
Hello Muddah, Hello Fuddah
Smells Like Teen Spirit

Stu, this thread might interest you:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,14296.0.html

Smells Like Teen Spirit? Never heard of it.  ;)

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 05/07/06 at 2:14 am

"I Did Heidi Fleiss"  ;D

The other one I'll keep.

If that's the unwanted one, the one you're keeping must be gold :o

Smells Like Teen Spirit? Never heard of it.

Yes, you've done many to that I recall.  That list is a great resource, Jack - although I don't think some, like "Complicated" could be considered amiright benchmarks - and some are up there because one author may have done 10+ parodies of that one song.

"Let It Be" and "Yesterday" and "Piano Man" all seem to have some sort of amiright life of their own though, I reckon :-\\

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 05/07/06 at 2:43 am

*takes off earphones from mp3 player containing Slim Shady LP, Marshall Mathers LP, The Eminem Show, Encore, Devil's Night, D12 World, 8 Mile Soundtrack, Shady Records Mixtape as well as a few unreleased tunes only available from the CD singles... whilst watching All Access Europe, 8 Mile and The Up In Smoke Tour on a computer, laptop and TV simultaneously*

Sorry, guys, wasn't paying attention. Something about

...I think "Complicated" should be a shoe-in. And I've never heard '99 Red Balloons', but I've seen a few good parodies of that one.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 05/07/06 at 9:09 am

I TOLD you he'd be listening >:(

but oh no, you said...not a chance, you said...weekends are when Luke gets lucky with Asian chicks in the library, you said..........

Written By: Cat on 05/07/06 at 10:55 am

Cat --- over on the "Do you dream amiright" thread, I issued a friendly challenge to you --- interested in writing a parody of Bob Dylan's "Desolation Row" ?  On that other thread, you claim that for you, no OS is insurmountable...let's see whatcha got, kiddo!   :)

American Pie
The Major-General's Song
Be Our Guest
Bohemian Rhapsody
Blinded By The Light

I might hold the AmIRight record for the largest number of Bohemian Rhapsody parodies by the same author: 9

Wowzers, Johnny.

I'd be willing to do it under two conditions...

1. That I get a recording of the OS. I've tried lyric-sheet-only parodies before and they were disastrous.
2. That I get a good idea for it (or if you supply me with one)

And regarding rap parodies, I'll agree that they're probably tougher than regular sung songs since they're often incredibly fast and that makes the rhythm hard to discern. But for a while I've been thinking of doing "Newbie Parodists" (and it would be entirely in internet slang/chatspeak) to Coolio's "Gangsta's Paradise"

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 05/07/06 at 11:26 pm

Gangsta's Paradise rhymes in couplets of end rhyme.
Most of Eminem's rapping involves internal use feminine rhymes (called 'multis' by misogynistic rappers  ;) )
So whereas your usual 70's ballad may have 'drifts away' being rhymed with 'clouds of grey' at the end, a rap would usually rhyme 'fades away' with 'shades of grey' with the syllables in between loaded with 'ay' sounding assonance like pain, hate, razor blades et al. 

For example, with a colour coding:
'I take seven kids from Columbine, stand 'em all in line
Add an Ay-Kay-forty-seven, a revolver, a nine,
A Mack-eleven and it oughta solve a problem of mine
Cuz that's a whole school of bullies shot up all at one time'

Which is why I'm such a groupie of rap, due to so much more effort being put into crafting the lyrics than the vast majority of pop songs which may only have sixteen words rhymed in the whole song as opposed to one-hundreth of a rap song.

DZK's 'The Worm Helix' has me foaming at the cerebra every time.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/08/06 at 12:00 am

Or the Real Slim Shady:

who cut other people open like cantaloupes
But if we can hump dead animals and antelopes
then there's no reason that a man and another man can't elope
But if you feel like I feel, I got the antidote
Women wave your pantyhose,
sing the chorus and it goes

6 triple rhymes, and even though some are slanted or broken, that is a nightmare right there to parody.

And that's just 1/4 of one verse.....

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 05/08/06 at 12:43 am

And also the internal rhyming/assonance on the syllables stresses of
'open'
'we can'/'reason'
'animals' with 'mammals' 'cannibals' in the line before this verse
'another man'/'I got the an-'
'swing your/sing the'
'pantyhose/and it goes'

Dammit, I've been several months without Eminem, having only listened to "Fack" and "When I'm Gone".
You've kickstarted my old obsessions! And because I had his albums looping over and over whilst I wrote my Hairy Potted parodies several hours a day, I have every lyric embedded in the back of my mind.

ANYWAY, back to the list...

Written By: Cat on 05/08/06 at 4:31 pm

I dunno if it's quite to the extent of an average rap song, but Blinded By The Light could surely compete in terms of internal rhymes.

Now I'm getting this image of Bruce rapping... :-\\

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/09/06 at 2:54 pm

I dunno if it's quite to the extent of an average rap song, but Blinded By The Light could surely compete in terms of internal rhymes.

Now I'm getting this image of Bruce rapping... :-\\

De La Soul could hit it big again with a cover methinks.  ;D

Another challenger is "We Didn't Start The Fire". I wrote one nearly 15 years ago, and that was a bugger indeed. Why am I not chasing down the other biggies? I'm really not inspired to...most of those tunes require a certain kind of writer who can forcibly inject plot lines into a tune and dig up obscure ryhmes off the back of his hand. I admit I am not of that calibre all of the time. If i happen to get inspired in the right way, who knows? (shrugs) :)

Written By: K1chyd on 05/09/06 at 3:29 pm

Kristof listed American Pie, TWOTEF, and the Major-General's song as 3 of the 5 "holy grail" parodies over a year ago. I think the other 2 were Be Our Guest and Bohemian Rhapsody.

Are you sure it was Kristof? I can't find the thread. I remember posting a kind of list on it myself, with 7-8 types of original songs rather than 3 or 5 specific songs. I would like to see that list again to see if I still feel the same way - That EEAS (Ever Evolving Author Syndrome) you know... ;)

Written By: Red Ant on 05/09/06 at 3:59 pm

Are you sure it was Kristof? I can't find the thread. I remember posting a kind of list on it myself, with 7-8 types of original songs rather than 3 or 5 specific songs. I would like to see that list again to see if I still feel the same way - That EEAS (Ever Evolving Author Syndrome) you know... ;)

Yep, it was Kristof:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,8980.0.html

Written By: ThaConqueror on 05/10/06 at 6:36 am

IMO most Eminem songs make the big 3 look like a walk in the park.

Tell me about it. Of course, I was such a twit in my early parodist days that the VERY FIRST parody I did was based on 'Just Lose It' by EMINEM. Stupid! Even more dumb was that the 5th song I parodied was 'My Band' by D12. It's FIVE VERSES of RAP - hard as hell! I hink I was the first to parody all of it in the right order. I based it on the Matrix :).

For me, the hardest part about parodying a certain song is choosing what to make the parody about. It's so annoying, that I've dropped some songs before simply because I couldn't get them going.

BTW, I'm open for any suggestions for Major General and TWOTEF (I'm just too inexperienced, too busy with school and too lazy to come up with an idea myself ;D). I thought of doing 'Spaff Is The Very Model Of A Modern Major Parodist' but I doubt it'll get done.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/10/06 at 7:02 am

BTW, I'm open for any suggestions for Major General...

Well, if you know geography you could do the "Mountaineer's Song"

I am the merry model of a modern major mountaineer
I've climbed every elevation from foothills up to Mt. Raineer

and so on. There's a lot of good rhymes you could use too: ability/agility gravity/grab it he/rapidly, geography/topography as well as fountain near, new found career, mount a rear, countin' deer, yodeling/scroteling  ;), etc.

I won't give you the few lines I worked out for the "Prostitute's Song".  :D

I'd do it but I'm tired of that song.

Written By: Johnny_D on 05/10/06 at 7:58 am

BTW, I'm open for any suggestions for Major General

Feel free to use this M-G parody idea:

I Am The Latest Agent That Has Been Let Go By Eminem
He said my head he'd have if I said that his rap was crap again

Written By: philbo on 05/10/06 at 9:42 am

He's mad, that lad, and bad and sad, he's twisted, his head's turned aroun'
And so I said, more "screamed" instead, "Just put the bloody chainsaw down"

Been away for a while, but this thread made me wonder "just how hard *is* 'Blinded by the Light'?"... so I thought I'd give it a go: Undead by the Bite

Not sure what I'd include as a "Big Three"... for sheer length, the Major General's song, Edmund Fitzetc., American Pie, Desolation Row... though The Raven was worse (and has been done eight times now)

By and large I'd say that rap is much harder to do a decent parody of, though getting precise rhymes and syllable stresses seems much less of an issue: if the guy writing the thing can't be bothered to find even close rhymes and will twist words 'til they're nearly unrecognizable in order to manufacture a rhyme, then why should a parodist?  Though I must say that writing a parody to "My Name is (Slim Shady)" did give me a lot more respect for Eminem: IMO he's got many times the talent than pretty much every other rap artist I've looked at, even though he is a pretty twisted sort... maybe that's why the music is so intense.

Written By: karen on 05/10/06 at 10:25 am

Be Our Guest is not a song I'm that familiar with.  But my daughter will be dancing and singing to it in her dance school's forthcoming show so I expect to be very familair with it by September!

Written By: Johnny_D on 05/10/06 at 10:35 am

Alas but it 'twas not to be, that rapper-boy's skull's sweating mud!
A slash-cut his saw sought to see splat jagged joyful jetting blood!

Written By: philbo on 05/10/06 at 10:59 am

ISTM that this could be rather short...

Oh, damn, he's dead! I swore I said - hope the cops don't suspect-a me
For t'will be I on CSI committing Eminectomy

Be Our Guest is not a song I'm that familiar with.  But my daughter will be dancing and singing to it in her dance school's forthcoming show so I expect to be very familair with it by September!

(then you'd better not look at this one then... or this come to think of it ;))

Written By: karen on 05/10/06 at 11:08 am

(then you'd better not look at this one then... or this come to think of it ;))

:o

Any funny clean parodies gratefully excepted though!  They both like to hear DAK's (Is this the way to) Alton Towers

Written By: Johnny_D on 05/10/06 at 12:05 pm

And sure enough, 'tis Grissom with a Q-tip who will swab the scene
His hand'll rise and analyze with mandrill eyes ill gobs of green

Written By: philbo on 05/10/06 at 2:53 pm

Now, let's see... where were we:

(Tutti: )

The forensic will quickly pick me up, they will condemninem

Any funny clean parodies gratefully excepted though!  They both like to hear DAK's (Is this the way to) Alton Towers

In that case, Read My Lips

Written By: Johnny_D on 05/10/06 at 3:23 pm

Now, let's see... where were we:

(Tutti: )

The forensic will quickly pick me up, they will condemninem

Bravo, Philbo!

Do we have any more contributors?   Oh Stuey-Pooh ... ??    ;D

Written By: Cat on 05/10/06 at 6:38 pm

I didn't mean to cause a scene, I'm really quite a gentle guy
But if his rapper buddies see, my house'll be blown 8 Miles high

I smell Room Full Of Monkeys!

...and of course, Johnny, in that 4-line verse you gotta repeat the last two lines for the chorus, and after the 8-liner, ya need two more syllables for the third repeated line...how about "For t'will I be on CSI committing gruesome Eminectomy?" ;)

Written By: ThaConqueror on 05/11/06 at 2:37 am

Might go with the Mountaineer's Song...don't want to bash Eminem, he's too cool in my books.

Written By: karen on 05/11/06 at 3:26 am

In that case, Read My Lips

Slightly over their heads I think!  My daughter is 7 and my son is 4!

Written By: ThaConqueror on 05/29/06 at 7:13 am

Might go with the Mountaineer's Song...don't want to bash Eminem, he's too cool in my books.

As a matter of fact, my version's gonna be called 'I'm Not The Only Critic Of The New Console's Name Change To Wii'. If you pay attention to what's going on in the gaming world, you'll understand what the hell I'm talking about. If not, I'll leave a link to the Wiki articl on the Wii (pronounced 'wee'...what were Nintendo thinking?!)

Written By: EthanM on 06/08/06 at 11:23 pm

I have done all seven, and I've also been a major delinquent parody-wise lately. I don't I had even been to this board in months - I've been busy doing other types of writing. But I might be getting some people from another forum to post some parodies here, we'll see. I'll try not to be such a parody bum, and maybe having taken some time off I'll have newfound enthusiasm for the art form.

Written By: Matthias on 07/05/06 at 3:06 pm

Oh to add to that list Cat... Kristof Robertson has also done all of these...

Written By: Red Ant on 07/06/06 at 12:22 am

Oh to add to that list Cat... Kristof Robertson has also done all of these...

Not quite; AFAIK he still hasn't done American Pie.

Written By: Jack Wilson on 12/12/06 at 2:26 pm

Spaff HAS done all of these,right?

Written By: Johnny_D on 11/20/07 at 10:06 pm

Cat --- over on the "Do you dream amiright" thread, I issued a friendly challenge to you --- interested in writing a parody of Bob Dylan's "Desolation Row" ?  On that other thread, you claim that for you, no OS is insurmountable...let's see whatcha got, kiddo!   :)

American Pie
The Major-General's Song
Be Our Guest
Bohemian Rhapsody
Blinded By The Light

Wow -- I'd forgotten about this! 

Yikes ... what to do for "Be Our Guest" ...

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/21/07 at 10:56 pm

Wow -- I'd forgotten about this! 

Yikes ... what to do for "Be Our Guest" ...

That's alright.  I hadn't heard of it until now.  (Amateurs!  It's Thanksgiving, and no love for "Alice's Restaurant" as the hardest song to parody?  Pshaw!)

In answer to your question, John Valby did "Be My Guest", "Supercalifragilistic", two or three more Disney hits, and "American Pie", all on the same CD.  Geez, I knew "butter" and "udder" rhymed, but I didn't expect "petunia" rhymed with "screwin' ya".  And "American Pie" made Ogden Edsl look positively polite :)

Edit: And I forgot that he also did Edmund Fitzgerald on "Double D" and a bootleg CD.  ("The Canuck girls came down from Chippewa on down", then the lyrics get raunchy, so sue me...)

Check for new replies or respond here...