inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The parodies that you wrote, which ones are your most favorite?

Written By: Step-chan on 05/16/06 at 12:49 pm

List the parodies you've wrote that are your most favorite(at least 5 if you can think of them), with descriptions(they can be brief or somewhat long) of why they are your favorites. I have a list, but don't have it with me at the moment. I will bring mine at the next library I'll be going to today. You can also post the links for them if you want to.

Subject: Re: The parodies that you wrote, which ones are your most favorite?

Written By: Step-chan on 05/16/06 at 3:47 pm

I was kinda hoping someone else would have went before me.

Well, here is my list, it's not in order of preference, just in the order that I remembered them:

1. Anime, Video Games & Nirvana(parody of Verse Chorus Verse): I've made three versions of this parody, the third one is my best one. The reason why I like this one is that I made it experimental and random,  thus making no sense in the process, while combining three of my favorite things.

2. Catgirl Love(parody of Hairspray Queen): Actually, I love all of my catgirl themed parodies equally(No surprise there. Considering much I talk about them.), but this is the one that I'm the most proud of, it came out so well and compliments the original song greatly. Another reason is also that I made it both alittle cute and alittle naughty at the same time(the character is singing the lyrics to his wife).

3. See The Shrink(parody of Bleed The Freak): This is my favorite Alice In Chains parody(just barely beating my Catgirl themed "Got Me Wrong" parody), it's actually about me to a certain degree. A couple of times in my school life, teachers have told my parents that I might have a mental disability(They claimed it was autism), which is false. This is the most personal based parody I'm proud of.

4. Naked(parody of Snowblind): I love this one because of it's combination of anime and naughtiness, it's not too harsh and not too subtle. I came up with the idea while listening to the original song because I also had alot of printed anime illustrations laying around in folders(one was of Ai from Popotan, which gave me the idea).

5. Yomi, Can I Become Your Boyfriend?(parody of Jesus Wants For A Sunbeam): I love the build up of this one, it starts out subtle and becomes twisted in the later verses and choruses, plus the dialogue I improvised while submitting it(I didn't write that part down on paper) was very good. I wish it would have gotten more votes(I do appreciate what I did get), as this one is one of my best ones so far.

6. You Can Use Your Kitty Ray(parody of Save It For A Rainy Day): I like the story this one tells, albiet somewhat out of order(to make it pace right), plus I love how the chorus came out, this one is about the anime series "UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie".

7. For All The Nerds(parody of For All The Cows): This one has one of my most favorite choruses in it. Basically it's about anime otaku(fanboy) nature which is easy for me to relate too. My most favorite Foo Fighters parody.

8. Angel Brigade(parody of Vendettagainst, aka Help Me I'm Hungry): This is my favorite Whatfreaks parody, based on a flashgame I played about the "Galaxy Angel" anime series(called "Galaxy Angel Dating Sim RPG"), the game has alot of cussing and suggestive themes(about as subtle as a MX missile). Although not a perfect parody pacing wise, I still feel it's one of my best dirty parodies.

9. Pee Drawin'(parody of Free Falling): I had a hard deciding between my Tom Petty ones, but this one just barely beats the other two in making this list. I love the how it came out gross, while adding a couple of references(like peeing on McDonald's, which was the only lyrics that I thought of that I really liked to the original line it goes to) to help the humor.

10. Searching For Metal Monsters(parody of Wet My Bed/Crackerman): This is my favorite DQ/DW themed parody, I love how it came together(adding Please Twins references in the first part while talking about Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior things through the entire parody). My most favorite Stone Temple Pilots parody.

Written By: Cat on 05/16/06 at 4:40 pm

Well, since I've only written 24 parodies (I have numba 25 in the works but I have to overcome a bit of writer's block) I'm only going to name my top 5 parodies, not my top 10.

1. I Have A Nasty Case Of Every Virus Bug Conceivable (parody of "The Major-General's Song" by Gilbert and Sullivan)

This is my favorite for a number of reasons...how quickly it came to me, the satisfaction in having completed such a hard song, and it was genuinely fun to write. I loved coming up with all sorts of bizarre ailments for this poor guy; a lot of the inspiration for this parody came from Shel Silverstein's excellent poem "Sick," though I'm no plagiarist, I didn't actually lift any lines from this. Although that troll Simon Cowell came in and bashed it, I really appreciated those who came to my defense, that made me feel better as a parodist. And I don't mean to blow my own horn, but I take a small (okay, not so small) degree of pride in the fact that I found a rhyme for "Kevorkian" in this parody. That makes me feel very smug.

2. A Parodist's Dilemma (parody of "American Pie" by Don McLean)

Again, part of the reason this parody is one of my favorites because of the satisfaction of having completed such a difficult OS. But I'm really glad this parody worked out the way it did, considering that when I was first thinking of doing this parody I thought hard for days about a possible idea for this, that would be detailed enough to stretch over the course of such a long song, but nothing came. Then when I was just about to give up, I thought, "Gah, I might as well write a parody of 'American Pie' about how hard it is to write a parody of 'American Pie.'" But then I realized that that was actually a decent idea, and I ran with it. I must say, it fell into place a lot better than I would've ever expected! =)

3. Gee, George Dubya Bushy (parody of "Gee, Officer Krupke" from "West Side Story")

This is the parody that I feel really established me as a serious parodist...although that's an oxymoron in itself. Before this, my parodies kind of sucked, to be honest. I only really did spoofs of songs that only I knew really well, and the ideas behind them were really stupid. Even though this was a political parody and it was bound to get some low votes, I really felt that this was the best work I had done. Although that standard has since been surpassed, I feel good for having written it, or else I might not be where I am today!

4. Don't Ask Me Why (parody of "Don't Pass Me By" by The Beatles)

I file my parodies into two different categories

Written By: ThaConqueror on 05/17/06 at 2:57 am

Let's see. I won't list them in any particular order ('cause I just can't be stuffed), but here are some of my favourites (I'm Australian, so I spell it 'favourite' not 'favorite'):

1. Transformer Pie ('American Pie' by Don Mclean)
I like this one 'cause I actually pulled it off. I mean, 6 VERSES, who wouldn't be proud after tackling that monstrosity?

2. Scurvy ('Sailing' by Christopher Cross)
This one took me almost no time at all. I thought of it during a Home Ec lesson, when I had to do a projecct on a dietary disease, and I chose scurvy, and it came to me. The OS came to me because I had recently downloaded 'Saline', Spaff's version of it.

3. Red Dwarf ('New York' by Ja Rule feat. Fat Joe and Jadakiss)
I'd always like Red Dwarf, and I wanted to make a parody about it. I'm surprised that it came off so well.

4. Tongue/Leg's Sore ('Numb/Encore' by Jay-Z/Linkin Park)
I had done 'Tongue' a long time ago, which I was proud of. I had just done 'Leg's Sore', which was okay. I decided to cheat a bit and combine the two, since Jay-Z and Linkin Park had already combined the OS'.

5. AmIRight ('Encore' by Eminem)
I had lots of fun with this one. Dropping in names of other parodists, mentioned how much Chucky has to do, dropped Mr. Yankovic's name in a couple of times and dropped in Spaff way too many times. What fun!

Yeah, that's it.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/17/06 at 3:31 am

I think my having favorites has caused a few of my others parodies to become jealous. That must be where those 1 votes come from - my back works occasionally unobomb each other in fits of jealous rage!

But, I'll play along (in no particular order):

1: "Beavis Just Drank A Pot Of Coffee" (parody of Nirvana's "Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam"): I had a lot of fun writing this one. The comments I got on this parody really made my week. If I could have found a MP3 or made a recording in time, this would have been my March SOTM entry.

2: "Sing You: How To Karaoke A Coldplay Song" (parody of "Fix You"): A song satire of mine done back in November, this didn't fare well opening day, which made me pick something else for SOTM. I still love it though, especially since it has been unobombed several times by Coldplay fans. This will be high up on my "to record" list.

3: "At Sears" (parody of Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir"): This was my 10th parody submitted, and was one of my best early entries. This song was none too easy to parody at the time. I still can't believe how few Zep tunes are on the site (other than Stairway To Heaven, most have been done less than 5 times, if at all).

4: "Journey Past Reality (Numb Your Mind) (parody of The Beatles' Revolution #9): I had a lot of fun with this since I didn't have to worry about rhyme scheme or meter: TOS has none. This parody was written as an open challenge by Agrimorfee, and I like the way it turned out. This parody probably has more abstract thinking in it than the rest of my parodies combined (excluding "Powdered Water Rhapsody")

5: "Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel Fight!" (parody of "Bridge Over Troubled Water"): This is one of my favorites for its humor and originality, but also in the way in which it was constructed. The parody was written completely backward, i.e. last line first.

6: "Allah Paula Cheese" (parody of Nirvana's "All Apologies") My second misheard lyrics parody, this one remains my most voted/commented on non-contest parody. It happens to be my favorite misheard lyrics parody I've done, due to the fact that 90+% of the lyrics are in the AmIRight archives, almost all were believable, and the amount of research I did. This one is also high up on my list of parodies to record.

7: "Name Is Jack" (parody of The Rolling Stones' "Paint It Black"): Finally, years of suffering every lame-ass joke about my name became funny, and, like, not lame.

There are several others that are favorites because other people got the idea rolling, and, in many cases, helped me through a creative drought.

Oddly enough, "I am the Very Master of all Errors Typographical" is one of my least favorites, even though it was my first SOTM medal and is my most voted on parody. I spent an ungodly amount of time on this one, and looking back at it now (even the day it was posted) I would have done quite a few things differently to improve the pacing/stressing/rhymes, and some clunky vocabulary.

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/17/06 at 8:00 am

This thread needs linkys.

Sumo Girl--My most successful parody, vote-wise, from my parodies written since 2003 (when I first came to amiright).  I'm usually lazy on researching unfamiliar topics, but this song compelled me to learn the basic tenets of sumo wrestling, and good God, EVERYONE should! :D
http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/beck3.shtml

Your Pond/All Frog People--My most successful parody, vote-wise, from parodies written before 2003 (the majority of these votes were lost in the dreaded Vote Tally Wipe Day). http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/yes3.shtml

Plop!/The Nativity--The climax of The Crazy Diamonds' Decking The Wall album parody. Highly endorsed by Spaff et al. I am extremely proud to have tackled the topic in a irreverent but inoffensive manner. http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/pinkfloyd191.shtml

7 of 9--Another tune that required diligent research on a subject that I knew virtually nothing about. The way the chorus flows so seamlessly against the original makes this fun to sing aloud to. http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/prince8.shtml

JamesKurtJoyceCobain #2: Stephen Dedalus--I briefly possessed the spirits of James Joyce and Kurt Cobain to compose a three-part suite regarding what many argue is the greatest novel of the 20th centrury. It helps to have read the book, but you get the flavor from these verses. http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/nirvana245.shtml

Nudist Colony #9--I wrote this sometime in 1988, beating Rick Duncan's efforts, long before I even knew what amiright was. I believe it was the first time I had written a parody based on true-life situations (not mine, it must be stressed. ;)) http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/emersonlakepalmer3.shtml

Written By: MysteryGoat on 05/17/06 at 12:35 pm

Couldn't resist, I love a cheap pop.

And now I present to you, my top ten favorite parodies.

10. "Little Help Please" to "The Right Kind of Wrong" by LeAnne Rimes
The thought of a guy, especially one my size, trying on a thong and getting stuck in it was quite funny to me. And despite the disturbing mental picture it engraved in my head, I throughly enjoyed writing this one.

9. "Eaten By The Wolf" to "Hungry Like The Wolf" by Duran Duran
A combination of little red ridding hood and the three little pigs. One of my better ones, I'm surprised at the positive response of this one. Also a proud holder of the bronze metal in the 2005 ABC contest, E round.

8. "Gettin' Piggy Wit It" to "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" by Will Smith
One of my proudest achievements. This song is the first I wrote that is actually good. Took the course of four years to do it, but I'm very proud with the final product.

7. Can't Sing At All For Beans" to "It's Still Rock & Roll To Me" by Billy Joel
My third Billy Joel parody and I wrote it without realizing I already had two written (I now try to keep it no more than 3 parodies of one artist). A very well responded song, and why shouldn't it be? It's a great song if I do say so myself, and I do. And FYI, the line that says, "Aliens food and a bag full of chee-tos" isn't really a non-sequitur, well maybe the chee-to part is. But it actually refers to the fact that I have about 3 (counting the superman song) alien songs, and about a third my songs pertaining to food.

6. "Parody" to "Photograph by Def Leppard
Where even the name itself says parody, probably my favorite song to date about not being able to write original music. Loved because of it's hard rock tune, and it's ability to relate to most parody writers.

5. "Stalkers Anthem" to "Why Don't You & I" by Santana
A truely proud achievement of mine, better recieved than I expected too. Oddly enough, very loosely based on a real life incident, however it was just a misunderstanding. One thing about the original performance artist I put up. The original song is of course a colaboration with Santana, but there are two versions. One sung by Alex Band from The Calling which is the version played on the radio. The second is sung by Chad Kroeger from Nickelback and only heard off the album itself. Both the same song, with maybe a couple of cords changed to match the singers. Given the chance I'd go back and change it but since I can't I'm stuck with it. Oh well... Dang that was long.

4. "I'll Stay With You" to "Stay With You" by The Goo Goo Dolls
YES! My first goo goo dolls parody, and what I believe my grammy winner  ;D . I'm still surprised no one has experienced my genius yet... yes my tag line is a link. My latest song, which is a non-funny parody, and what I believe the most emotional, not to me mind you. Really not based on anything, no message, just what I think to be a really well written song, of course that really is only my opinion, why not make one for yourself  ;) . When I first heard the original, I loved it instantly and was immediatly compelled to write something that had some sort of meaning, if not for me than someone else. I hope the goal was fulfilled.

3. "Born" to "Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia
Why is this a favorite of mine, and even number three at that? It took me, I think, about 5 years to write it. Had it sitting on my computer for the longest time, already having the concept but trying to come up decent enough lyrics to be even remotely funny. In the end it was the Gold Medal winner in the Aussie Parody Contest and as of this writing, has all 5's.

2. "Evil Candy Man" to "The Candy Man" by Sammy Davis Jr.
Hope this doesn't come across as conceded, but I can't tell you how much I love this song. I still crack up reading it. In my opinion the funniest parody I've written so far, your choice on if that's good or bad.

And my #1 favorite parody is........

1. "Ballad" to "My Immortal" by Evanescence
Not the first non-funny parody I wrote, but one of the best. And yes it was inspired by a girl. I don't think I'll have too many more sappy love songs, if anymore at all. But I think this was a true accomplishment. It connects and has personal meaning for myself and others out there and I think it's a huge leap towards writing an original song. I think, a perfect fitting for my number one favorite parody.

Don't forget to comment and vote  ;)

Written By: Step-chan on 05/17/06 at 12:51 pm

There are some more I can post(I have alot of favorites, it just that I don't type very fast), I'll post links here shortly as well for the my first list.

I'll be voting on new entries here in a minute, so I'll back shortly.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/17/06 at 1:34 pm

Well, since I've only written 24 parodies (I have numba 25 in the works but I have to overcome a bit of writer's block) I'm only going to name my top 5 parodies, not my top 10.

1. I Have A Nasty Case Of Every Virus Bug Conceivable (parody of "The Major-General's Song" by Gilbert and Sullivan)

This is my favorite for a number of reasons...how quickly it came to me, the satisfaction in having completed such a hard song, and it was genuinely fun to write. I loved coming up with all sorts of bizarre ailments for this poor guy; a lot of the inspiration for this parody came from Shel Silverstein's excellent poem "Sick," though I'm no plagiarist, I didn't actually lift any lines from this. Although that troll Simon Cowell came in and bashed it, I really appreciated those who came to my defense, that made me feel better as a parodist. And I don't mean to blow my own horn, but I take a small (okay, not so small) degree of pride in the fact that I found a rhyme for "Kevorkian" in this parody. That makes me feel very smug.

2. A Parodist's Dilemma (parody of "American Pie" by Don McLean)

Again, part of the reason this parody is one of my favorites because of the satisfaction of having completed such a difficult OS. But I'm really glad this parody worked out the way it did, considering that when I was first thinking of doing this parody I thought hard for days about a possible idea for this, that would be detailed enough to stretch over the course of such a long song, but nothing came. Then when I was just about to give up, I thought, "Gah, I might as well write a parody of 'American Pie' about how hard it is to write a parody of 'American Pie.'" But then I realized that that was actually a decent idea, and I ran with it. I must say, it fell into place a lot better than I would've ever expected! =)

3. Gee, George Dubya Bushy (parody of "Gee, Officer Krupke" from "West Side Story")

This is the parody that I feel really established me as a serious parodist...although that's an oxymoron in itself. Before this, my parodies kind of sucked, to be honest. I only really did spoofs of songs that only I knew really well, and the ideas behind them were really stupid. Even though this was a political parody and it was bound to get some low votes, I really felt that this was the best work I had done. Although that standard has since been surpassed, I feel good for having written it, or else I might not be where I am today!

4. Don't Ask Me Why (parody of "Don't Pass Me By" by The Beatles)

I file my parodies into two different categories

Written By: Step-chan on 05/17/06 at 1:51 pm

Here are links to the ones on my list:

1. Anime, Videogames & Nirvana:
http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/nirvana256.shtml

2. Catgirl Love:
http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/nirvana251.shtml

3. See The Shrink:
http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/aliceinchains41.shtml

4. Naked:
http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/blacksabbath44.shtml

5. Yomi Can I Become Your Boyfriend?:
http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/nirvana298.shtml

6. You Can Use Your Kitty Ray:
http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/thejayhawks0.shtml

7. For All The Nerds:
http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/foofighters10.shtml

8. Angel Brigade:*Note, need to be at least 18 to read this one*
http://www.whatfreaks.com/90s/nirvana8.shtml  (I noticed that they formatted it differently, and my first verse is starts right after the foreword, stuck together).

9. Pee Drawin':
http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/tompetty36.shtml

10. Searching For Metal Monsters:
http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/stonetemplepilots16.shtml

Written By: Cat on 05/17/06 at 5:11 pm

Ah, what the hell. Here are my links:

1. I Have A Nasty Case Of Every Virus Bug Conceivable:
http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/gilbertandsullivan92.shtml

2. A Parodist's Dilemma:
http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/donmclean88.shtml

3. Gee, George Dubya Bushy:
http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/westsidestorysoundtrack5.shtml

4. Don't Ask Me Why:
http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/thebeatles1433.shtml

5. Don't Buy CDs, Angelina:
http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/madonna31.shtml

Written By: ThaConqueror on 05/18/06 at 2:49 am

Ah, what the hell. Here are my links:

And here are mine:
Transformer Pie
Scurvy
Red Dwarf
Tongue/Leg's Sore
AmIRight

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/18/06 at 10:56 am

And here are mine:
Red Dwarf

FYI: Red Dwarf  ;)

I completely forgot that I read yours, so mine didn't come from your idea.

I must also add this one from The Doors as one of my crowning achievements. I once performed this one live, with no musical accompaniment, at a Chicago coffeehouse open mike night, to thunderous acclaim (if you consider 10 people to be capable of "thunderous acclaim ;) ):

Glueteus Maximus  http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/thedoors22.shtml

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/31/06 at 7:55 pm

Auditions (Simon's Song)

Dumb Writer's Block

Hate Willy (William Hung's Song)

Joeseph's Massive Stomach

My Voice it Cracks

Noise

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/31/06 at 8:05 pm

Well I dunno what happened up there! ^

Written By: Step-chan on 06/05/06 at 6:04 pm

Auditions (Simon's Song)

Dumb Writer's Block

Hate Willy (William Hung's Song)

Joeseph's Massive Stomach

My Voice it Cracks

Noise

Did you know that they're all going to the same parody?

Check for new replies or respond here...