inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Two Johns, One Dick

Written By: Rick Cormier on 05/19/06 at 3:22 pm

I was priveleged to get to spend some time last night with two of the most talented and prolific parodists now on Amiright, John Barry and Johnny D (John Small). Between them, they have almost 2,000 parodies!

We met at a small restaurant in beautiful Tewksbury, Massachusetts and, spent a couple of hours discussing parodies and quite a few other topics over salads and glasses of beer. John Barry, from just outside of Oakland, CA had flown to New England to spend some time with his brother in Laconia, New Hampshire. I had hoped to meet with him at some point while he was here but, due to the heavy rains we've been getting, his brother was flooded out of his new home and, John wasn't sure he'd be able to make it. Fortunately, things worked out and he had a few hours to make the meeting possible.

Despite last minute communications with Johnny D, he was able to make it to round out the trio.

The hours flew by and, before I knew it, it was 7:45 and, I had to take the short trek to "Lew's Place", a comedy club where I have been working at honing my stand-up skills for the past couple of months. Happily, JD and JB came along and seemed to enjoy the routines of about 10 different comedians, yours truly included.

It was an excellent evening for me. It's always a pleasure to meet fellow parodists and swap stories.

I wish we had taken the time to collaborate on a parody but, the conversation and beer flowed, as did the time.

Johnny D had a disposable digital camera with him so, I'm sure he'll post one or two pictures on the Author's Photo Thread.

Subject: Re: Two Johns, One Dick

Written By: Johnny_D on 05/19/06 at 3:29 pm

Rick, your stand-up comedy set & your parody singing was freakin' HILARIOUS !!!  ;D

Hey, folks, take it from me --- our very own Rick C is a top-quality professional stand-up comedian!  He did a great set & sang a number of his funniest parodies (with his own iPod accompaniment, very slick!).  It was a great show!

And it was great to meet John A. Barry in-person ... he's not just a brilliant and super-prolific parody writer, he's one cool dude, too!  JB wore his "AmIRight" T-shirt ... and after the comedy show, we were showing some of the comics where our respective names were located in the block of parody author names printed on the back!

A great time with a couple of all-around great guys!  Thanks, Rick C & JB!    ;D

Written By: Cat on 05/19/06 at 3:50 pm

Yes, Johnny, I would very much like to see the pictures!

And speaking of the AmIRight shirt...Chucky said he'd be making a new one in June, and I'm very much looking forward to it since now that I have 25, I'll finally be on it!  8)

Written By: Red Ant on 05/20/06 at 12:29 am

Sweet! I'd like to meet up with other parody authors eventually, as "normal" people just look at you strangely when you tell them what you do for fun.  ;D

Lets see some pictures!

BTW: "disposable digital camera"  ???

Written By: Rick Cormier on 05/20/06 at 4:17 am

BTW: "disposable digital camera" 

Yeah, I'd never heard of one either but, JD had one. He said they also make disposable video cameras too and, that the video and sound quality from them is excellent.

Written By: Rick Cormier on 05/20/06 at 4:18 am

Yes, Johnny, I would very much like to see the pictures!

And speaking of the AmIRight shirt...Chucky said he'd be making a new one in June, and I'm very much looking forward to it since now that I have 25, I'll finally be on it!  8)
Congrats on 25, Cat! Keep 'em coming.

Written By: Rick D on 05/20/06 at 12:24 pm

Since I have performed with John Barry, collaborated with John Small, and feel like a kindred spirit to Rick Cormier, I sense that I may have been there in spirit. That would make two Dicks and Two Johns. Much more balanced. If any sort of thing like this is to occur again, let me know. I may be just crazy enough to use that as an excuse to visit the East coast.

Written By: Rick Cormier on 05/20/06 at 2:07 pm

Since I have performed with John Barry, collaborated with John Small, and feel like a kindred spirit to Rick Cormier, I sense that I may have been there in spirit. That would make two Dicks and Two Johns. Much more balanced. If any sort of thing like this is to occur again, let me know. I may be just crazy enough to use that as an excuse to visit the East coast.
Your name was brought up on more than one occasion, Rick. JB talked about meeting and performing with you and, I mentioned wanting to do the same. Who knows, JD and I may show up at your door some day soon.

Check for new replies or respond here...