inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mid-West Parody Authors' Get-Together

Written By: 2nz on 06/13/06 at 3:21 pm

I would like very much to meet some parody authors on the West and/or semi-west coast as long as I'm out here in Great Falls, Montana. I'm just throwing it out there to see who else is interest. I have no clue where it would be or on what date, but I am excited about it none-the-less. Post here if you have an interest and/or know of any kind of meeting place. Some place within several hours of the center of Montana would be cool, but I can use a four-day weekend some time and drive out farther.

Also, post here or PM me if you would like to know what I've been doing in the Montana Conservation Corp. We go away on five or ten day spikes (periods when we stay camped out in the wilderness to do trail work) so I'm only really able to get to a computer six or seven days out of each month, but I will be checking and posting as often as I can manage.

Subject: Re: Mid-West Parody Authors' Get-Together

Written By: Spaff.com on 06/25/06 at 10:58 pm

Some place within several hours of the center of Montana would be cool

The only problem is, you drive several hours from the center of Montana and you're still in Montana. They make the states big and square out here. Just like the people.

But if you ever make it to Utah, lemme know.

Also, post here or PM me if you would like to know what I've been doing in the Montana Conservation Corp.

Consider it posted.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Arwen on 06/26/06 at 2:25 am

The only problem is, you drive several hours from the center of Montana and you're still in Montana. They make the states big and square out here.

Hee!  How you get inside my thoughts I will never know, Mr. Spafford...but Wyoming's favorite resident was just about to say something along those very lines... :)

Written By: EmiLoca on 06/26/06 at 12:51 pm

Great Falls of Bire, 2nz... what the heck are you doing out there?!  Move, like, and it would be perfect.  Until then, this Nebraska hayseed will pray for an F5 tornado to whisk her residence Montanaward. 

Written By: 2nz on 06/26/06 at 2:53 pm

The only problem is, you drive several hours from the center of Montana and you're still in Montana. They make the states big and square out here. Just like the people.

But if you ever make it to Utah, lemme know.

Fine, be that way. Use logic to come to sound conclusions about travel times. WHATEVER!!!

Hee!  How you get inside my thoughts I will never know, Mr. Spafford...but Wyoming's favorite resident was just about to say something along those very lines... :)

What were you doing up at 2:25 AM and why wasn't I invited?

Great Falls of Bire, 2nz... what the heck are you doing out there?!  Move, like, and it would be perfect.  Until then, this Nebraska hayseed will pray for an F5 tornado to whisk her residence Montanaward. 

Don't pray for tonados. It's awesome to tell the story afterwards, but it's petrifying to be there. Let me explain with some experiences from my first back country spike:

Day 1: Wake up at 5:45 AM, load trucks, drive to pack mule station, load pack mules with ten days worth of food and tools and heavy stuff, hike three miles to camping ground inside an extremely windy valley called Rierden Gulch in Lewis & Clark National Forest, set up camp.

Day 2: 5:30 AM: Wake up for breakfast and clean-up.
          7:00 AM: Hike 1 mile uphill to first work station. Winds are probably 40 or 50 mph.
          11:30 AM: Rain starts, but decides to turn randomly into hail and sleet just for fun.
          12:30 PM: Lunch for half hour. Wind is so strong, whole crew can only face one way. Hail hurts.
          1:30 PM: Wind knocks my hardhat off and down the slope of the hill we are working on. Chasing hats downhill is no fun because you have to walk back up afterwards.
          3:30 PM: Work day ends. Drenched crew walks back to camp to start a fire in the wall tent which has a portable stove in it. Two more hardhats are lost down the slope as we walk down. Only isolated sections of them are found.
          4:30 PM: Stove warms wall tent and feels amazing. I develop new appreciation for fire and warmth and the feeling of being dry.
          5:30 PM: Dinner: backcountry flatbread pizza is amazing. Actually, any dinner is amazing after our work days, but we had a different meal each night which kept morale way up.
          8-9 PM: Everyone heads off to bed.

Days 3-10 did not have rain or sleet or hail during the work day so we were all overjoyed. We would normally wake up at 5:30 for pancakes, or we would sleep in until 6:00 and have cereal with dried milk. Dinners continued to be amazing and varied throughout the spike. Highlights include: Flat-bread pizza, breakfast for dinner (french toast, hash browns and eggs), clam chowder, and burritos.

On night 3, the wind went up to about 70 or 80 and my tent collapsed after hitting me in the head for about 30 minutes. I slept in the wall tent next to the bear-proof boxes of food for two days due to lack of tent and hoped that no bears showed up on those nights. I would say more, but my library online time has come to an end. Stay tuned for more installments when I get back from the next spike.

Oh, and I'm writing a parody about it most likely, I think. Wind will be mentioned several times.

-Glen

Written By: Cat on 06/26/06 at 9:31 pm

Don't pray for tonados. It's awesome to tell the story afterwards, but it's petrifying to be there. Let me explain with some experiences from my first back country spike:

I agree, a couple of tornadoes hit my city back in March

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 06/26/06 at 11:48 pm

Yeah, I always go for the plain girls...

Sounds like you're having a great experience in nature to find yourself, 2nz. Do I dare say the work is back-breaking out on the mountain?
From six years of cadets in my high school (most seniors do four then move on to surf lifesaving... but not Nib, who stupidly stayed on as they needed someon to man the remote radio station whilst the little 'uns ran around the outback being chased by the Raging Aussie Bushfire Era and all of the teachers lounged about the base camp canoeing and occasionally getting up to draw a small red line documenting the progress of the cadets or check that the body count was at a minimum.)
...where was I? Oh yes... keep your feet dry!!! NOTHING is worse than trekking through a river in the summer heat with your week's clothes and toiletries chafing the living heck out of your shoulders with SOPPING WET feet. You take your boots off at the end of the day and your feet have been moulded into whatever wrinkly state your socks were. And they STAY that way for days until you peel your skin off in sheets.

Sitting your unopened cans of Beef Stroganoff upside-down in the fire for twelve minutes also makes for some hilarious twenty-foot-high antics.

Written By: 2nz on 07/08/06 at 2:44 pm

...where was I? Oh yes... keep your feet dry!!! NOTHING is worse than trekking through a river in the summer heat with your week's clothes and toiletries chafing the living heck out of your shoulders with SOPPING WET feet.

I concur. Rain pants rule, as do fires waiting at the campsite.

Sitting your unopened cans of Beef Stroganoff upside-down in the fire for twelve minutes also makes for some hilarious twenty-foot-high antics.

We should try that one. In the meantime, are you familiar with corn-races?

Check for new replies or respond here...