inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: should you write a different chorus ?

Written By: tomario on 06/14/06 at 9:15 pm

:)  hello when writing a parody should all the choruses be different ?

ie"I AM I SAID"
   "I AM IM DEAD"
   "IM JAM IM BREAD"

or should they repeat as they would do in the original song ?

is it personal prefrence or is it "am i right" protocol to change them.

i know a few people have a thing about it

any help would be lovely thanks

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=tbn:5wfPfqiU16JUTM:www.americanartists.org/images/JulesArt/NewGallery/typewriter.jpg
  :(  writers block is stressful .go on ask a typewriter !!!  :-[

Subject: Re: should you write a different chorus ?

Written By: EthanM on 06/14/06 at 9:40 pm

It's up to you, really. Varying the choruses can make it funnier, but if only one of your choruses is any good then it's probably best just to make one chorus.

Written By: nally on 06/14/06 at 10:46 pm

I'm all for varying the choruses...it adds more variety to the parody song. Weird Al does that in some of his parodies.

On the other hand, if you just decide to stick with one chorus, that's fine too. :)

Written By: Step-chan on 06/15/06 at 1:22 pm

I tend to flip flop on it myself... I will vary them part of the time, but other times if I won't. Mainly because I don't feel the need to do so(it depends on the flexibility of the chorus too).

My next Nirvana parody(goes to Polly) will have the same chorus through, mainly because I want it match the OS's pattern.

Written By: Cat on 06/15/06 at 5:11 pm

I almost always vary the choruses (chori?) just since it's more fun and allows you to stretch your legs a bit as a parodist. It's a tad bit harder, though.

Written By: tomario on 06/15/06 at 8:32 pm

thhank you everyone  ;)  (i haven't got a lisp)  i think  it comes down to how you feel about the song once you've finished it. and as long as your happy with it that's all that matters.

Written By: Cat on 06/15/06 at 9:23 pm

You're welcome. I'm curious, however...is that Marc Bolan in your avatar?

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/16/06 at 2:12 pm

Sometimes I don't change the chorus, just because I feel it reinforces the humor, or because it's pointless.

Examples:
http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/therollingstones21.shtml
http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/prince47.shtml
http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/johnlennon9.shtml

I've been known to fuss about changing choruses in my comments...sometimes I feel like like an already funny parody could be over-the-top, three-5's funny if the author just takes that extra step in changing a chorus.

Written By: tomario on 06/17/06 at 3:15 pm

You're welcome. I'm curious, however...is that Marc Bolan in your avatar?

:D it most certainly is cat  :D  here have another one !

http://www.bobgruen.com/files/asst/R.261%20MARC%20BOLAN%201971.jpg

Written By: Cat on 06/17/06 at 4:27 pm

Heh heh...I don't actually find him attractive, Tomario, but T. Rex's Electric Warrior album rules.

Written By: Johnny_D on 06/18/06 at 12:22 pm

ie"I AM I SAID"
   "I AM IM DEAD"
   "IM JAM IM BREAD"

or should they repeat as they would do in the original song ?

is it personal prefrence or is it "am i right" protocol to change them.

i know a few people have a thing about it

any help would be lovely thanks

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=tbn:5wfPfqiU16JUTM:www.americanartists.org/images/JulesArt/NewGallery/typewriter.jpg
  :(  writers block is stressful .go on ask a typewriter !!!  :-[

Vary choruses whenever possible!  :)

I YAM ICE SPREAD

EYE AM MICE HEAD

Written By: Red Ant on 06/18/06 at 2:28 pm

I tend to flip flop on it myself... I will vary them part of the time, but other times if I won't. Mainly because I don't feel the need to do so(it depends on the flexibility of the chorus too).

Same here, the flexibility being the key with me. Also, if I know there is going to be a high DKTOS factor, I won't vary them.

Regardless of if they are varied or not, I usually want to see all parts typed out, even if that means a copy/paste job.

Written By: tomario on 06/19/06 at 5:58 am

:)  a big thank you to everyone i have given you all the clap (don't let your dogma chase your karma) ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 06/19/06 at 6:55 pm

Same here, the flexibility being the key with me. Also, if I know there is going to be a high DKTOS factor, I won't vary them.

Regardless of if they are varied or not, I usually want to see all parts typed out, even if that means a copy/paste job.

Most of my parodies of Verse Chorus Verse are an example where I tend to vary the chorus more often than not(well, mainly with two of my versions of Anime, Video Games And Nirvana and Chi Freya Chi), but that's mainly because of the chorus' flexibility. It's one of the easiest choruses to come up with a good deal of lyrics(at least to me), regardless of the DKTOS factor.

There are other songs like "Vendettagainst/Help Me I'm Hungry", that I will not even try to vary the chorus, mainly because it's fairly hard to come up with one to it. The DKTOS factor doesn't have an effect with that to me, but maybe I should start to think about it that way.

Other songs like The Smithereens' "Drown In My Own Tears", is one of the toughest to actually vary the chorus much(the timing makes the flexiblity in that chorus alittle rough to try variety with, but it can be done).

Written By: Spaff.com on 06/25/06 at 10:42 pm

Whatever makes it funniest. The end. You're welcome.

And I'm with you on "Electric Warrior."

xoxox
Spaff

Check for new replies or respond here...