inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Parodying Weird Al

Written By: Matthias on 07/06/06 at 8:02 pm

For some reason... I'm not saying they all are... But a lot of them are...
The parodies that are parodies of Weird Al just don't make the cut for me

I mean Weird Al's parodies already have an original song so why don't people just base their parodies off the original song and now Weird Al's song.

I mean why do people title their parody of Beat It, under Weird Al's "Eat It", when they can easilly put it under "Beat It" by Michael Jackson.

A lot of newbies and Tokusou Sentai Blessranger do parodies of Weird Al's songs...
I think this is a cheap shot...

Even the non-parodies by Weird Al, I don't think should be parodied because they are funny enough without having to be parodied. It's like a movie paroding "Blazzing Saddles". What is the point? It already funny so what's the point in paroding humor....

Am I the only one that thinks this?

Please... Lemme know...

Subject: Re: Parodying Weird Al

Written By: ThaConqueror on 07/07/06 at 1:56 am

Yep..I agree that it's stupid.

Written By: Red Ant on 07/07/06 at 2:32 am

For some reason... I'm not saying they all are... But a lot of them are...
The parodies that are parodies of Weird Al just don't make the cut for me

I mean Weird Al's parodies already have an original song so why don't people just base their parodies off the original song and now Weird Al's song.

I mean why do people title their parody of Beat It, under Weird Al's "Eat It", when they can easilly put it under "Beat It" by Michael Jackson.

A lot of newbies and Tokusou Sentai Blessranger do parodies of Weird Al's songs...
I think this is a cheap shot...

Even the non-parodies by Weird Al, I don't think should be parodied because they are funny enough without having to be parodied. It's like a movie paroding "Blazzing Saddles". What is the point? It already funny so what's the point in paroding humor....

Am I the only one that thinks this?

Please... Lemme know...

I think the main problem in parodying a Weird Al song is making it funnier than his, which is close to if not impossible.

The only reason I'd choose a WAY parody over TOS is if I just had/knew his version of the song.

Also, Weird Al's often differ a bit from TOS. "Smells Like Nirvana" has abbreviated bridges (the "hello" parts); if you made your parody from that song with abbreviated bridges, and listed it as a parody of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana, it would probably get pacing hits.

On a similar note, I would expect docks on funny too unless the parody is funnier than his (unlikely).

I don't think parodying his work is a cheap shot.

I got similar remarks concerning funny when I parodied South Park's "Uncle F*cka" (which is an OS, not a parody). I knew mine wasn't as funny as TOS, but I had a decent enough idea and was the first to parody it, so that was what prompted the parody.

I think the main reason to avoid doing Weird Al parodies is the direct comparion that will inevitably be drawn; your parody might be a lot better than TOS but not as good as Al's.

All OSs are fair game in my book, even Weird Als.

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/07/06 at 9:56 am

One of the articles that was written about amiright and the parodies, mentioned the parodies of Weird Al, as being "very meta".

I don't know, I think there's something funny about parodying a parody.  Maybe taking a parody of a light song that makes it funny, and then make it sad...

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 07/07/06 at 11:29 am

Maybe taking a parody of a light song that makes it funny, and then make it sad...

and then you could take the sad song...and make it better-er-er

Written By: Cat on 07/07/06 at 2:08 pm

One of the articles that was written about amiright and the parodies, mentioned the parodies of Weird Al, as being "very meta".

I don't know, I think there's something funny about parodying a parody.  Maybe taking a parody of a light song that makes it funny, and then make it sad...

That was Spin. Which, incidentally, was the first place where I ever heard of this website.

Unfortunately, Spin has gone down the tubes, but at least this place still prospers.

Written By: Step-chan on 07/07/06 at 2:49 pm

Well, in my case... I have no choice if I have an idea to a Weird Al parody instead of the OS he did it too, this mainly goes for the rap/hip hop genre, which I don't listen to(but have watched videos of). Although I will generally use the OS(or buy the CD for it, but that's only if I want the CD too), say if I don't have the OS, but Weird Al's parody of it, it's just cheaper for me to use his parody instead.

I started one parody to his parody of "All about the Benjimans" last fall, but haven't went back to it.

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/10/06 at 7:40 am

All OS's are fair game, even Weird Al's.

The fact that someone credits an OS as Al's parody is a case of lazy research or ignorance. ::)

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 07/10/06 at 3:33 pm

I'm not really sure of my opinion on parodying Weird Al, but the only reason why my parody, "I Fell For April Fool's" was a parody of Al's "I Lost on Jeopardy" rather than Greg Kihn's "Jeopardy" was because Al was the subject of the April Fool's joke that inspired my parody in the first place. Heck, I think I might want to do it again sometime with "Your Pitiful" and see what I can come up with.

So, I guess parodying WAY is AOK. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...