inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A snapshot of the sad state of the daily parody postings

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 08/08/06 at 10:34 am

I had a bit of time on my hands, so I thought I'd put together some stats on one day's worth of submissions, that day being yesterday, August 7

21 parodies by 16 writers (22 submissions, but one was a repeat posting)

Average number of votes per parody: 3.95

Highest vote tally: 9 (3 parodies)

Number of parodies with no votes: 2

Number of people leaving comments: 23

Number of people who submitted a parody on this day, but did NOT vote or comment on any one else's work: 8/16 (50%). This figure should have been 9/16.... one writer left 1 comment, on a parody that mentioned him/her, but on no one else's.

I know that some days on Amiright are slow, and on Mondays people might be too busy starting their weeks to visit the site. But, sadly, I think that these stats are not unrepresentative of an average day at New Submissions.

But the lack of feedback is less infuriating to me than the cheek of those who submit, expect feedback (why else would you post?), but don't have the courtesy/ can't be bothered to read anyone else's efforts. Of the 9 who haven't voted/given feedback, I can see 2 names that usually comment (you know who you are) and so can be given quite a bit of leeway. As for the rest? pfffftttt!

Now, I know some of you will say "What about those who don't get any feedback themselves? Why should they bother if they are being snubbed?". Fair enough...unfortunately, the way we humans behave is primate-based; we get pleasure from "grooming" and are more likely to respond to someone who engages in this behaviour. I'm not saying that we're consciously engaging in a "read mine and say something nice, and I'll read yours and say something nice" mass back-slap...it's subtler than that. You get to know someone who takes the time to introduce themselves, and engage in communication.

The thing is, ther seem to be a large number of writers nowadays who miss this point entirely. They NEVER give feedback, but keep posting day in day out. They must want replies (they tick the "comments enabled" box)...but seem so self-centred they miss the real experience of the Amiright community.

If I'm feeling positive and happy-clappy, I will visit some of these people and leave praise or gentle constructive criticism, and a vote. I almost NEVER have my comments acknowledged, or recieve feedback from them. Now, I'm not such a big egotist, that I need new acolytes to adore me from afar (although, that sounds kinda cool.... ;)), it's just that the real reason we love amiright is that it gives us a chance to have a laugh, debate, flirt etc etc with people from everywhere, through the medium of parody.

I don't know what to do about this, I'm just having a rant.

I miss the fun, that's all....

Kristof signing out

Subject: Re: A snapshot of the sad state of the daily parody postings

Written By: Red Ant on 08/08/06 at 11:43 am

Of the 9 who haven't voted/given feedback, I can see 2 names that usually comment (you know who you are) and so can be given quite a bit of leeway. As for the rest? pfffftttt!

If I'm one of the two, check the comments on "Donut Guy".

The thing is, ther seem to be a large number of writers nowadays who miss this point entirely. They NEVER give feedback, but keep posting day in day out. They must want replies (they tick the "comments enabled" box)...but seem so self-centred they miss the real experience of the Amiright community.

I've come to the conclusion, that after posting 270+ parodies, that I'm never going to get comments, or even a "thanks" for my comments, from some people (Will Tong, Rick D, TSB, etc.). I did get a reply from TSB a week or two ago on one of his parodies, which was shocking. Sadly, I've pretty much written off authors like these.

If I'm feeling positive and happy-clappy, I will visit some of these people and leave praise or gentle constructive criticism, and a vote. I almost NEVER have my comments acknowledged, or recieve feedback from them. Now, I'm not such a big egotist, that I need new acolytes to adore me from afar (although, that sounds kinda cool.... ;)), it's just that the real reason we love amiright is that it gives us a chance to have a laugh, debate, flirt etc etc with people from everywhere, through the medium of parody.

I don't know what to do about this, I'm just having a rant.

I miss the fun, that's all....

Kristof signing out

While we're having a good rant, I'd like to re-iterate again that a non-vote is more insulting to me than a 111. I think some people are possibly afraid of hurting feelings, or ruining a streak of 5s. Well, news flash: We're all adults here, and leaving a less-than-glowing comment is already an indication to me of less than 5-worthy material. A numerical vote in those cases (even say a 511) would personally help me to see how far off I was with that particular parody.

IMHO, having 7 555s on something like "Defiled A Mime" is a skewed number when there are several comments indicating not-555 material. Yes, I would be happier with 11 votes with say a 5.00/4.2/4.5 average; it's more representitive of how the parody actually did.

None of this is aimed at you Kristof, though I would be curious as to the numerical value you (and a few others who commented and did not vote) would assign my parody posted yesterday.

FTR, while I said I wasn't going to enter July SOTM, I did so because my entry picked up 4 total votes/comments over the 2 days it was on the front page, a weekend I recall the messageboard being quite active......

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/08/06 at 12:43 pm

TSB appears and disappears like a Bush White House press secretary.  :o :D

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 08/08/06 at 1:13 pm

If I'm one of the two, check the comments on "Donut Guy".

You're not one of the two, Jack...you know you aren't. And those two, I have absolutely no issue with. I've, on a few occasions, posted a parody and then for some reason have not been able to come back to the site for a day or two (or in the last case, 3 months!) sheeshe happens, and thats OK....

I've come to the conclusion, that after posting 270+ parodies, that I'm never going to get comments, or even a "thanks" for my comments, from some people (Will Tong, Rick D, TSB, etc.). I did get a reply from TSB a week or two ago on one of his parodies, which was shocking. Sadly, I've pretty much written off authors like these.

I'm the same. I'll give someone plenty of chances, support them for weeks, but if they're not willing to come to the table.... :P

While we're having a good rant, I'd like to re-iterate again that a non-vote is more insulting to me than a 111. I think some people are possibly afraid of hurting feelings, or ruining a streak of 5s. Well, news flash: We're all adults here, and leaving a less-than-glowing comment is already an indication to me of less than 5-worthy material. A numerical vote in those cases (even say a 511) would personally help me to see how far off I was with that particular parody.

IMHO, having 7 555s on something like "Defiled A Mime" is a skewed number when there are several comments indicating not-555 material. Yes, I would be happier with 11 votes with say a 5.00/4.2/4.5 average; it's more representitive of how the parody actually did.

None of this is aimed at you Kristof, though I would be curious as to the numerical value you (and a few others who commented and did not vote) would assign my parody posted yesterday.

I'm sorry I unintentially insulted you, Jack. I can see your point, that you value ALL feedback (good AND critical), and I admire your chutzpah. I generally don't like to criticise numerically, but in your case I'll make an exception! ;) If you are really interested, I'd probably give you a 523.

Thanks for your feedback, mate!

Written By: Cat on 08/08/06 at 1:17 pm

I'll admit it...I'm horribly biased. I'll usually only read/comment if it's a work by a parodist I know well or like, or if the title catches my eye. If it's a day where I have a new one up I am more likely to see those of others. (although as I've said many times, I prefer quality over quantity and am not that prolific) It's just a lot of the current submissions are clueless newbies spoofing horrible emo songs, or people like John A. Barry, Airfarcewon and Alvin Rhodes...I admire those guys for how many times they submit, but as Red Ant said, they all sort of blur together after a while...no offense AT ALL to those three!! I just wonder sometimes how many times JAB can do "I Put A Spell On You," doesn't he ever get tired of it?

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 08/08/06 at 1:18 pm

TSB appears and disappears like a Bush White House press secretary.  :o :D

Yeah, I don't get TSB at all. I understand he's a young guy, and he keeps posting almost daily, although nobody really pays any attention. I'll be straight, I'm not fond of his parodies...but when I first started, I gave him support...which wasn't acknowledged or reciprocated. I quickly gave up...

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 08/08/06 at 1:29 pm

I'll admit it...I'm horribly biased. I'll usually only read/comment if it's a work by a parodist I know well or like, or if the title catches my eye. If it's a day where I have a new one up I am more likely to see those of others. (although as I've said many times, I prefer quality over quantity and am not that prolific) It's just a lot of the current submissions are clueless newbies spoofing horrible emo songs, or people like John A. Barry, Airfarcewon and Alvin Rhodes...I admire those guys for how many times they submit, but as Red Ant said, they all sort of blur together after a while...no offense AT ALL to those three!! I just wonder sometimes how many times JAB can do "I Put A Spell On You," doesn't he ever get tired of it?

We all do that, Cat. you develop relationships with certain writers (you're currently one of my faves...grovel, grovel, brown-nose... ;)) and you know they're usually going to give good value. As for the emo newbies; I'll often (depending on my mood) give them one, possibly two chances. If the OS is on Napster or iTunes, I'll give it a listen and give an honest appraisal. After that, no response= the Kristof Blacklist.
JAB, Alvin, and AFW....the uber-parodists! They write HUGE numbers of parodies, but more often than not, those parodies are GOOD!JAB's aiming for 100 "Spell" parodies- he sets himself crazy challenges and seems not to worry too much about the response. Once he submitted 64 parodies, all written in 1 day, to see if he could.
So don't sweat about your bias...although it doesn't hurt to give a newbie a chance, because we've all been there...

Written By: Red Ant on 08/08/06 at 2:12 pm

people like John A. Barry, Airfarcewon and Alvin Rhodes...I admire those guys for how many times they submit, but as Red Ant said, they all sort of blur together after a while...no offense AT ALL to those three!!

I don't ever recall saying those three (or others) "blur together".

I just wonder sometimes how many times JAB can do "I Put A Spell On You," doesn't he ever get tired of it?

He is aiming for 100 parodies of that song. And, while I wouldn't presume to speak for John, I know I'd be sick of it (but not the parodies) by now.

Once he submitted 64 parodies, all written in 1 day, to see if he could.

He also submitted 100 over a 3 day writing period; all posted on a Saturday. Quite a feat.

And thanks Kristof, apology accepted.  :)

Written By: Arwen on 08/08/06 at 3:52 pm

...people like John A. Barry, Airfarcewon and Alvin Rhodes...

The thing that I admire about John, AFW, and Alvin is that they are in this JUST for the love of parody.  They write and submit and comment more regularly than anyone else.  I don't think any of them have an agenda, nor are they fueled by a desire to win contests.  Instead, they just do their thing...give feedback...all in the attitude of simply having and promoting fun. 

Which attitude, if I condense his initial comment and twist it around enough, is kind of what I think Mr. Robertson was saying that he misses... :)

Written By: Cat on 08/08/06 at 3:59 pm

Durr, I guess I was paraphrasing. Either that or I'm hallucinating...did someone put something in my water?  ::)

Written By: Rick Cormier on 08/09/06 at 6:34 pm

Wow! This is incredible, Kristof! I was just now writing a response to another thread about Parodies With Great Pacing Not Getting Good Votes but, erased it because it to sounded too harsh.

It contained a lot of what you've said here only, without the numbers to back it up. A couple of weeks ago, I had said something about a lot of people only caring about the contests and, you called it a theory. I had meant to try to put some numbers together to prove it but, haven't gotten around to it.

Thanks for doing all the legwork! Your numbers prove the theory is fact. At least half of the people involved in contests don't read most of the parodies submitted to contests UNTIL the contests. That means that, not only are the parodies of most of the regulars ignored by the majority but, the newbies don't stand a chance.

When I first started submitting, I got a couple of comments advising me that, if I wanted to be read, I had to read, vote and comment on others' parodies. I did it and it worked. Almost nobody posts on here and is happy with no votes. What's the point, if nobody's reading your stuff? I passed that advice on to others as they came on and, if they did it, I was more receptive to their work as well. If they didn't, I ignored them. That may be vindictive but, I gave them a shot for a few weeks so, I don't feel bad about it now. I do regret not having the pleasure of more time to read newbies lately though.

Lately, newbies, more and more, don't reciprocate (and maybe that's because not enough people are paying attention to them and advising them) but, manners are manners and, the way I was taught to do it spawned more of a "community" than what is happening now.

Now it's "I really don't care to read your crap but, if it's in a contest and I HAVE to, I will."

I don't get a chance to read the daily posts as often as I used to but, I still make it there a few times a week. The first people I go to are Alvin Rhodes, John Barry and AFW. Why? Because they still play it the old way. Not only is most of their work a pleasure to read but, I know they'll read mine when I post. They'll rate my parody and leave comments (always funny ones). They'll read newbies and encourage them.

As was already said, they don't have agendas. They don't don't read our parodies because it may get them a higher vote in the next SOTM round. They do it because they love to write and read parodies.

To my way of thinking, they are the true Parody Authors of the Year.

Written By: Spaff.com on 08/09/06 at 9:38 pm

As long as I've been here, there have always been a small number of people who leave a large number of comments (god bless 'em), some people who comment some, and a large number of people who leave a small number of comments. I don't see that changing.

In my case, I have a finite amount of time to spend in the parody world, and, while I enjoy reading the parodies of others, my first love is writing. So I do more writing than reading.

I've read far more parodies than I've written, but I've received far more comments than I've left. I don't keep score, but apparently others do, and that makes me a little uncomfortable. I hope that there aren't people out there thinking, "Spaff doesn't read my parodies, so screw him; I'm not going to read his either." By the same token, I hope that when people *do* read my parodies, it's because they *want* to, not because of some sense of obligation.

Speaking of obligation, that's kinda the point of the contests, isn't it? You know you're going to read X number of parodies, some of which you wouldn't have otherwise. In return, X number of people are going to read your parody, some of whom wouldn't have otherwise. Works for me.

Just my take. I apologize to any of you who have concluded that I take more than I give. I kinda figure my parodies, not my comments, are my contributions to the site, but perhaps that's being naive and/or egotistical. If so, then, flog me. Please.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Spaff.com on 08/10/06 at 10:31 am

By the way, guys, I 100% agree with you that Amiright would be a better community, and more fun in general, if everyone - including myself - would read and comment on more parodies than we currently do. And the guys who leave numerous comments day in and day out (definitely the ones you've mentioned, plus others who've done a lot of it in the past, like Johnny D) deserve some sort of big award. Sainthood or knighthood or 70 virgins or something. I'm not kidding.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/10/06 at 11:41 am

By the way, guys, I 100% agree with you that Amiright would be a better community, and more fun in general, if everyone - including myself - would read and comment on more parodies than we currently do. And the guys who leave numerous comments day in and day out (definitely the ones you've mentioned, plus others who've done a lot of it in the past, like Johnny D) deserve some sort of big award. Sainthood or knighthood or 70 virgins or something. I'm not kidding.

xoxox
Spaff

Thanks for the good word, Mighty Spaff.  I haven't been posting as many comments -- or as many parodies -- as I did in past years, mainly because my life outside of AmIRight (IS there life outside of AmIRight?  ;D ) is calling me to other things more and more as time goes by.  But I still make an effort to occasionally visit & vote & comment -- I even still write the occasional "mini-parody" in a comment.  AmIRight has been, and still is, a source of creative joy and entertainment for yours truly -- and I'm grateful to everybody who has encouraged me (and put up with me!) over the years.  Bless you all!

Written By: Arwen on 08/10/06 at 1:27 pm

"Spaff doesn't read my parodies, so screw him; I'm not going to read his either."

So I take it you saw the t-shirt I had made up at customglamgirl.com?  Wow...how awkward is this??

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/10/06 at 2:57 pm

So I take it you saw the t-shirt I had made up at customglamgirl.com?  Wow...how awkward is this??

LOL! Her Hilarious Highness Queen Arwen doth receiveth a good karma point!  ;D

Written By: Rick D on 08/10/06 at 6:28 pm

This is not a defense, but I'm in the middle of a divorce, moving, and juggling new girlfriends. I used to write and comment from work, but that is being cracked down on. My goal was to make it to a thousand, and keep checking in on you fine people, and I may come roaring back, but for now, I am one busy guy. Rick D

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/10/06 at 9:41 pm

This is not a defense, but I'm in the middle of a divorce, moving, and juggling new girlfriends. I used to write and comment from work, but that is being cracked down on. My goal was to make it to a thousand, and keep checking in on you fine people, and I may come roaring back, but for now, I am one busy guy. Rick D

Parody-Brother, you never need to explain or apologize to me.  Peace and good fortune be with you, Highlander.  I wish you well.

Written By: Spaff.com on 08/10/06 at 11:41 pm

BWAHAHAHAHA. That is the best T-Shirt ever. I was just over there shopping for a custom baby-doll tee for you that says WHAT HAPPENS IN RIVENDELL STAYS IN RIVENDELL, but now I must absolutely get you the SCREW HIM one instead.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Spaff.com on 08/10/06 at 11:44 pm

juggling new girlfriends

Please post a video. Thanks to Steve Martin, I've seen cat juggling, but this sounds far more interesting.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/11/06 at 7:29 am

BWAHAHAHAHA. That is the best T-Shirt ever. I was just over there shopping for a custom baby-doll tee for you that says WHAT HAPPENS IN RIVENDELL STAYS IN RIVENDELL, but now I must absolutely get you the SCREW HIM one instead.

xoxox
Spaff

riven = "cleaved or split by force"

dell = "a small secluded wooded valley"

Written By: Cat on 08/11/06 at 9:47 am

OH MY GOD. That's brilliant, JD. I doubt anyone would have even thought of that.  :D

Written By: jreuben on 08/11/06 at 9:51 am

Please post a video. Thanks to Steve Martin, I've seen cat juggling, but this sounds far more interesting.

xoxox
Spaff

LOL...you beat me to it.

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/11/06 at 10:05 am

OH MY GOD. That's brilliant, JD. I doubt anyone would have even thought of that.  :D

All I did was quote the dictionary.

Written By: jreuben on 08/11/06 at 10:21 am

"the dictionary"

All I did was quote the dictionary.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 08/11/06 at 8:01 pm

I do regret not having the pleasure of more time to read newbies lately though.

and speaking of encouraging newbies, I claim this one:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/gilbertandsullivan99.shtml

check out his earlier stuff too

At first I suspected it was Tommy Turtle because of the "T" initial, but there's the occasional punctuation slip in his comments which TT would never have been caught dead allowing through

and I echo Agri - wherever did TT go? :-\\

Written By: Rick Cormier on 08/11/06 at 9:10 pm

and speaking of encouraging newbies, I claim this one:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/gilbertandsullivan99.shtml

check out his earlier stuff too

At first I suspected it was Tommy Turtle because of the "T" initial, but there's the occasional punctuation slip in his comments which TT would never have been caught dead allowing through

and I echo Agri - wherever did TT go? :-\\

Good catch, Stu. I'll have to check out some of his earlier stuff too. I just read the one you linked to though and it was great.

Written By: Rick Cormier on 08/11/06 at 9:51 pm

Having just looked at all of the submissions in the July SOTM, I noticed that a certain name (Rick C) was missing from the comment section on about 50% of them. That means I have been guilty of some of the things I have criticized others about. I hereby publicly apologize. (freakin' hypocrite)

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 08/12/06 at 11:03 am

I hereby publicly apologize. (freakin' hypocrite)

http://www.debisty.com/misc-images/free-sign.gifhttp://www.he-man.org/cartoon/cmotu-pop/universe/king-randor.jpghttp://www.natureimages.co.uk/images/Limited%20Editions/NI029%20Hippo%20A3.jpghttp://www.flexdisplay.co.uk/images/gallery/crate-cutout-pt2.jpg

OK.....I was bored; so sue me.... :D

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/12/06 at 11:16 am

http://www.debisty.com/misc-images/free-sign.gifhttp://www.he-man.org/cartoon/cmotu-pop/universe/king-randor.jpghttp://www.natureimages.co.uk/images/Limited%20Editions/NI029%20Hippo%20A3.jpghttp://www.flexdisplay.co.uk/images/gallery/crate-cutout-pt2.jpg

Whoah ... Like,"ARGH", dude ...

http://www.happytimeclowns.com/pirate-thumb3-B.jpg

Written By: Rick Cormier on 08/12/06 at 9:54 pm

LOL Kristof! You know, I came back and looked at your post FOUR times before I finally GOT it! DUH! I kept thinking, "Why is he posting these RANDOM pictures?":o :o

Written By: Cat on 08/12/06 at 11:27 pm

I still don't get it. I guess I'm just stupid.  :-\\

Written By: Red Ant on 08/12/06 at 11:34 pm

I still don't get it. I guess I'm just stupid.  :-\\

Look at the pictures:

Free + King + Hippo(potamus) + Crate (Crit) = Freaking Hypocrite

Funny stuff Kristof.

Written By: Peregrin on 08/13/06 at 4:10 am

LOL Kristof! You know, I came back and looked at your post FOUR times before I finally GOT it! DUH! I kept thinking, "Why is he posting these RANDOM pictures?":o :o

LOL !  I was thinking the same thing  ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 08/16/06 at 3:47 pm

Feel the same way on this one. I've tried to get TSB's attention(since both of us are into anime), but stopped after seeing nothing from him.

Written By: Meriadoc on 08/17/06 at 2:11 pm

I hardly voted or commented for close to a year (except occasionally), but then I was in a rut, where I didn't even want to be writing parodies (altho' I was goaded to it now and then heh heh).

Anyway, I am back now, and I try to comment on all the ones where I know the OS. I feel bad when I cannot vote or comment on one of my fave writers because I DKTOS, but unfortuantely downloading a bunch of songs a day is not feasable for me as I have dialup and d'lding slows down my PC to where I am unable to do anything else. And since I use it for work everyday - that just won't work.

(That too was one of the main reasons we stopped entering the contests - too many unfamiliar songs that we had no luck downloading)

So please know that if I seem to be skipping over some of you, it is a matter of not being familiar with the material.

Pippin and I appreciate each and every vote and comment that we get, and I hope I (we) can return the favour for many of you as often as possible.

Written By: MysteryGoat on 08/19/06 at 1:42 am

Yeah I'm sure my biggest reputation right now is my lack of commenting, especially after missing July's SOTM.

The biggest hurdle for me reading new entries is I find very few of the songs here funny. I have to scan for the songs I know because if I don't know the song, for some strange reason I just don't find it funny. And downloading the mp3 to EVERY song I don't know is rather impractical IMO. But then there are the songs that I actually know the original to. A sad confession is there aren't many here that I find funny. I mean really, a lot of them I read I think just plain suck, however there will be a list of comments of people who thought it was clever and hilarious. I'm sure I'm just missing a lot of jokes (most probably political) but really, how am I going to be the only person on there that thinks the song sucks.

That's the biggest problem I have in the contests too. (at the risk of being the most hated author) I'd say about 90% of the contests I've entered since comming to the site, I didn't find one song funny. In the end my votes are usually the best of the worst.

If you've noticed my comments are pretty short, usually no more than five words, unless it's a song I actually did like. I do think for a minute to try and come up with something constructive to say, but as this post doesn't exemplify, I'm a person of few words.

I guess thinking everyones songs suck isn't a very good excuse to not comment. I could probably put more effort in it and tell the person what exactly I didn't like about the song. But I don't want to be the person that has something negative to say about every song he reads. I'd rather just leave it blank and give all 3's.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 08/19/06 at 11:38 am

That's the biggest problem I have in the contests too. (at the risk of being the most hated author) I'd say about 90% of the contests I've entered since comming to the site, I didn't find one song funny. In the end my votes are usually the best of the worst.

That's a very honest and brave statement, Mystery Goat.  It's brave because you claim in your bottom signature that we all envy "your God-gifted ability to write" (and I'm happy to overlook your spelling/grammatical mistake in the same sentence), and in your profile you say you think you'll be "the next Weird Al" 

That's a very high bar to set yourself, and you must now realise that we relatively humourless underlings will be watching your efforts from now on with heightened interest ;)

Written By: Red Ant on 08/19/06 at 12:40 pm

I'm sure that it's just me possibly taking this the wrong way at the moment, but...

But I don't want to be the person that has something negative to say about every song he reads.

So, that's why you said this:

The biggest hurdle for me reading new entries is I find very few of the songs here funny.

And this:

And this too:

I guess thinking everyones songs suck isn't a very good excuse to not comment.

I guess it gets to me a bit because you have more or less slammed every single author here with these three statements. After seeing just a third or so of Friday's entries, a day filled with wonderful tributes and many seriously fine and funny parodies, I can't help but wonder if your whole post is nothing more than sour grapes.

Yeah I'm sure my biggest reputation right now is my lack of commenting, especially after missing July's SOTM.

Not even close. Since you have dispensed brutal honesty, I shall do the same:

"It's Not My Body Your Hate, It's My God-Gifted Ability To Write" + "The Next 'Weird Al'" + your post = The most conceited thing I have ever read by a mile.

As I said in my opening sentence, I'm sure it's just me possibly taking this the wrong way, so I will stop by and visit a few of your brilliant, Earth-shatteringly funny parodies to learn how the master does it.  ::)

PS:
(at the risk of being the most hated author)

I don't hate you MG. Actually, I admire the honesty of your post (though not the tact or delivery of it), but mostly I pity a person who is without a sense of humor.

Written By: MysteryGoat on 08/19/06 at 1:13 pm

Well as I stated I'm most sure I'm missing something out of the song to not find it funny, whether it's a current event (which I really don't keep up with), political joke, or something my sheltered mind can't concieve. Honestly I don't mean to hurt anyones feelings. I find mine to be of the lowest par on here. Some I've read, (and yes there are some) I envy the writing skill of it. I'd say I have about maybe three I consider actually that good, which isn't rather impressive seeing as how I have over thirty of them. So please don't think I'm being concieted despite my tag lines (which I say things like that in real life too, you know, as sarcasm), I actually think quite low of myself, especially in writing. My post wasnt' to knock everyone down but maybe find a way past it so I can enjoy these great songs on here.

Written By: Spaff.com on 08/22/06 at 10:31 am

If so, then, flog me. Please.

OK, I've been flogged. I got an email bluntly calling me a jerk for not commenting more and saying that a *lot* of you feel the same way about me.

Here's the deal. As much as I hate to admit it, one of my goals this year was to cut back on Amiright. Last year, frankly, I was way too obsessed with it all. So I've gone from submitting a parody a week to about one every three weeks. I've stopped participating in the contests entirely. I don't spend as much time reading the message board or latest comments. And I don't comment as much.

But I'm willing to rethink this. I'm still not going to submit as much and I'm still going to stay away from the contests, but I'll try to comment more. I do genuinely enjoy a lot of the stuff y'all write, even if I suck at saying so. Also, let's face it: I *am* a jerk, but I just don't want everyone to *think* I'm one.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Claude_Prez on 08/22/06 at 11:19 am

OK, I've been flogged. I got an email bluntly calling me a jerk for not commenting more and saying that a *lot* of you feel the same way about me.

Here's the deal. As much as I hate to admit it, one of my goals this year was to cut back on Amiright. Last year, frankly, I was way too obsessed with it all. So I've gone from submitting a parody a week to about one every three weeks. I've stopped participating in the contests entirely. I don't spend as much time reading the message board or latest comments. And I don't comment as much.

But I'm willing to rethink this. I'm still not going to submit as much and I'm still going to stay away from the contests, but I'll try to comment more. I do genuinely enjoy a lot of the stuff y'all write, even if I suck at saying so. Also, let's face it: I *am* a jerk, but I just don't want everyone to *think* I'm one.

xoxox
Spaff

I know that as Spaff's biggest little fanboy I'll be seen as biased, but I'd like to go on record as saying I always thought of him as one of the best and most courteous AmiRight members.  Like his parodies, Spaff's comments are of the quality-over-quantity variety.  He could go through and say "nice job, 555" to a few parodies every day to curb the jealousy people feel toward him but he doesn't.  Often, his comments are funnier than the parody he comments on.  He is building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude.  Let's all give Dr. Klahn a great big hand!

Oh, sorry.  Wrong guy.  Anyway, Spaff, I hope you don't let one person speak for the rest of us.  The way I see it, we've been extremely fortunate to have someone of your abilities willing to associate with us this long.  A *lot* of people feel the same way.

Written By: jreuben on 08/22/06 at 2:16 pm

Ironically, one of my goals this year was to cut back on Spaff.  Last year, frankly, I was way too obsessed with you.  So, I've gone from stalking you once a week to about once every three weeks.  I've stopped following you to work entirely.  I don't spend as much time screening your calls or latest postings.  And I don't shower as much.

So, you are helping me achieve my goals as well, a very un-jerk-like thing to do.  Between that, the feedback you have given me, and the hilarious songs, I'd say you're almost an alright guy  :)

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Red Ant on 08/22/06 at 2:24 pm

No way! That's a joke, right?

xoxox
Spaff

I had kind of figured that your cutting back this year was due to you going all-out "pro" (professional, not prostitute). With the recordings you have done, two CDs (which I swear I will eventually buy; sweatshop labor doesn't pay much....), etc., I feel the same way Claude does about you staying here this long.

Ironically, one of my goals this year was to cut back on Spaff.  Last year, frankly, I was way too obsessed with you.  So, I've gone from stalking you once a week to about once every three weeks.  I've stopped following you to work entirely.  I don't spend as much time screening your calls or latest postings.  And I don't shower as much.

So, you are helping me achieve my goals as well, a very un-jerk-like thing to do.  Between that, the feedback you have given me, and the hilarious songs, I'd say you're almost an alright guy  :)

LOL!

Written By: Rex on 08/22/06 at 7:31 pm

He is building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude.  Let's all give Dr. Klahn a great big hand!

I'm glad to see that like Spaff, you also give your comments toto concentwation.

Written By: Rick Cormier on 08/22/06 at 8:15 pm

xoxox
Spaff
Well, I did email (PM'd actually) Spaff, but only to tell him that my rant earlier on this thread was NOT directed at him.

I also felt obliged to explain to him that my comment about PAOTY also was not stated to belittle his much deserved title two years running. I apologized for my poor choice of words.

As far as thinking he's a jerk goes....nah...I don't think he's a jerk. I kinda like the li'l guy. If Claude is his biggest fanboy, I ain't far behind.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 08/22/06 at 8:20 pm

I'm glad to see that like Spaff, you also give your comments toto concentwation.

Heh heh.  Except this IS a chawade.

Written By: Spaff.com on 08/22/06 at 8:38 pm

Claude: You're just biased.

Jeff: Paranoia is pretty much the only thing I can count on anymore, so please humor me by continuing to stalk me once in a while. Thanks in advance.

Red: Nope, not a joke. And, yes, I'm working toward becoming a professional prostitute. Someday, I hope, you'll sign my certification so that I can finally get out of the bush leagues.

Rex: I'm ashamed to say I had to Google Claude's reference. The popcorn you are eating has been pissed in.

Rick: Hey! You promised you'd stop calling me "li'l guy" in public. And in private.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 08/23/06 at 12:09 am

Hey Kristof - can I do 2 rants for Decathlon 2?    because I feel one coming on.....

(warning: many "ridiculous"s ahead)

Spaff - firstly if they emailed you anonymously, I reckon you gave them too much cred just by reading it.  A debate where one of the parties is anonymous, with all its associated and beneficial irresponsibilities, should never even get started, let alone reach discussion point.

But given that it has, I find the emailer totally ridiculous.  What Spaff-forum is he talking about, where we all sit around discussing how badly Spaff is treating us?  There isn't one, and there never would be, so that's invented. 

Secondly, nobody here owes anybody else any course of action.  If Spaff doesn't read or comment on your parodies and it bothers you, don't comment on or read his.  Calling him a jerk is ridiculous. 

The reason Spaff's parodies get so many reads is that they're so good.  I never miss one because I pick up tips from them, as I do with Kristof's, JD's, and plenty of others.  I'm reading them for MY benefit - for a laugh, to admire them, and to help me improve.  To demand further reward is ridiculous.  Reward in return for what? 

Everybody wants to play a round of golf with Tiger Woods, but that doesn't mean Tiger Woods is a jerk if he doesn't return the favour

ridiculous!

Written By: Spaff.com on 08/23/06 at 12:22 am

The email wasn't anonymous, Stuart. But, either way, your comment was mighty lovely. Thank you very much. Or, as they say in Australia, thank you very much.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 08/23/06 at 3:21 am

The email wasn't anonymous, Stuart. But, either way, your comment was mighty lovely. Thank you very much. Or, as they say in Australia, thank you very much.

xoxox
Spaff

rant being over, it's back to easy-going stu now 8)

I'm glad it wasn't anonymous, and I give the emailer credit for that - but if it's the way you described it spaff, I just totally disagree with his/her thinking

Written By: Rick Cormier on 08/23/06 at 6:55 am

Rick: Hey! You promised you'd stop calling me "li'l guy" in public. And in private.

xoxox
Spaff
Sorry about that, Spaff. It's just that you don't see many BIG guys walking around, holding a teddy bear.  ::)

Written By: Claude_Prez on 08/23/06 at 11:02 am

Claude: You're just biased.

I regret to inform you that your above comment needs to be at least 20% longer and 35% funnier in order for you to avoid permanent a-hole status.  Every single person in the world agrees with me on this.

Written By: Rex on 08/23/06 at 2:40 pm

Every single person in the world agrees with me on this.

What about married people?

Written By: Claude_Prez on 08/23/06 at 8:28 pm

What about married people?

They agree with their wives.  If they know what's good for them.

Written By: Spaff.com on 08/24/06 at 12:52 pm

I regret to inform you that your above comment needs to be at least 20% longer and 35% funnier in order for you to avoid permanent a-hole status.  Every single person in the world agrees with me on this.

I always suspected that you were secretly corresponding with every single (and married) person in the world. Please tell a *lot* of them to go here.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Dee Range on 08/26/06 at 4:35 pm

I have been on hiatus ... or high-atus, as the mountain men in Colorado say...for a few months, so I am just catching up on the sad state of affairs here. A few quick re-tarts, if I could put my two cents in, thereby halving my net worth:

Mystery Goat: The next Weird Al? I suggest you set your goals higher, like I have. I am striving diligently to become the next Spaff,
                    Kristof. Stu Mac, Claude Prez, Rick Cormier, Arwen, AFW, Alvin Rhodes, John Barry, Cat, Phil Alexander, Jeff Reuben, et
                    al (as Hannibal Lecter says).

90% of their songs AREN'T funny....they're HILARIOUS. The other 10 % are BRILLIANT. These authors are the reason Weird 
                    Al does not post here on AmiRight...he knows he would be below average compared to the top writers here (and I'm a fan
                    of Al, BTW)

Spaff:            I don't know where you live, so I've been stalking Jeff Reuben, who's stalking you, hoping he'll lead me to your domicile,
                    where I plan to beat you senseless for cutting back on your submissions, and then thank you for not entering the contests,
                    giving us mortals a chance.

In the (more than likely) event that you beat ME senseless...which, due to the current state of my sense, won't take much...
                    please dispose of my body and ghost write my parodies for the next several years... and don't forget to comment on them,
                    either.

Written By: Rick Cormier on 08/26/06 at 6:36 pm

I have been on hiatus ... or high-atus, as the mountain men in Colorado say...for a few months, so I am just catching up on the sad state of affairs here. A few quick re-tarts, if I could put my two cents in, thereby halving my net worth:

Mystery Goat: The next Weird Al? I suggest you set your goals higher, like I have. I am striving diligently to become the next Spaff,
                     Kristof. Stu Mac, Claude Prez, Rick Cormier, Arwen, AFW, Alvin Rhodes, John Barry, Cat, Phil Alexander, Jeff Reuben, et
                     al (as Hannibal Lecter says).

90% of their songs AREN'T funny....they're HILARIOUS. The other 10 % are BRILLIANT. These authors are the reason Weird 
                     Al does not post here on AmiRight...he knows he would be below average compared to the top writers here (and I'm a fan
                     of Al, BTW)

Spaff:             I don't know where you live, so I've been stalking Jeff Reuben, who's stalking you, hoping he'll lead me to your domicile,
                     where I plan to beat you senseless for cutting back on your submissions, and then thank you for not entering the contests,
                     giving us mortals a chance.

In the (more than likely) event that you beat ME senseless...which, due to the current state of my sense, won't take much...
                     please dispose of my body and ghost write my parodies for the next several years... and don't forget to comment on them,
                     either.

Leapin' lizards! If it ain't the long lost Dee Range! You have been missed, my friend. Are you back home now?

Written By: Cat on 08/26/06 at 8:54 pm

Why, Dee! That's some of the best praise I've ever gotten...thank you so much!  ;D

Written By: Dee Range on 08/26/06 at 10:48 pm

Leapin' lizards! If it ain't the long lost Dee Range! You have been missed, my friend. Are you back home now?

Rick, I left Colorado a week ago and arrived in Las Vegas Saturday. Since I rented a room from Patty, and she left her house to her son when she died, I had no home to go back to, so I headed to Sin City, where I lived 12 years ago. I plan to be here until the end of November, and after that I really don't know yet. The way my luck has been running, My parody "Homeless Bound" is about to come true...I'm searching for a large cardboard box as we speak, preferably one filled with money. I would give you a call on Skype, but this old laptop I am now using will not download anything. My nephew also inherited Patty's computer, with all my songs on it, and to top it off my Fostex digital 8-track recorder is no longer working...the mountain roads I've been driving all summer must have rattled something loose, so our recoding project is gonna have to wait some more, unfortunately. Other than all that, things are fine...celebrated my birthday today by having my oil and radiator fluid changed, then lost next month's rent at the new Wynn casino near my domicile, the Roach Motel and Casino lol. If my car continues overheating, I can just saddle up one of these "waterbugs" and ride.

I read here you were changing jobs and moving, hope everything is going well for you. If so, send money heh heh heh.

Written By: Dee Range on 08/26/06 at 10:58 pm

Why, Dee! That's some of the best praise I've ever gotten...thank you so much!  ;D

Cat, you're very welcome. I haven't had a chance, with all my recent tribulations, to read very many of your parodies, but the ones I have read show tremendous talent, The Major General Song especially, among others. I look forward to catching up on the last 6 months of my favorite authors work as soon as time allows....looking for a job between dumpster runs is really cutting into my internet fun, not to mention my own writing -D

Written By: Red Ant on 08/26/06 at 11:35 pm

Happy Birthday Dee, and I'm glad to see you back here!

Written By: Dee Range on 08/27/06 at 2:17 am

Thanks, Jack, and to you and some of my other favorite authors like Johnny D., who I inadvertently left off my list of great parody writers on this site, I apologize. I claim Half-zimers in self defense. BTW, I loved your reply to Mystery Goat.

Written By: Arwen on 08/27/06 at 3:51 pm

I am striving diligently to become the next...Arwen...

:-*

Thanks, Dee!  I'm glad so glad to see that you're back!

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/27/06 at 5:33 pm

Thanks, Jack, and to you and some of my other favorite authors like Johnny D., who I inadvertently left off my list of great parody writers on this site, I apologize. I claim Half-zimers in self defense. BTW, I loved your reply to Mystery Goat.

You are forgiven, my son.  A zimer in the Half is worth two in the Busch.  I have no idea what the previous sentence means.  ???

Written By: Dee Range on 08/27/06 at 6:17 pm

You are forgiven, my son.  A zimer in the Half is worth two in the Busch.  I have no idea what the previous sentence means.   ???

Johnny: I have my own version of that famous quote....."A hand in the bush is worth any number of birds"....although I, too, have no idea what that means -))

Arwen: good to be back here with the living, the almost living, and the brain dead like my self. Looking forward to the daily whackiness here!

Written By: Rick Cormier on 08/27/06 at 8:15 pm

I read here you were changing jobs and moving, hope everything is going well for you. If so, send money heh heh heh.
Haven't moved yet but, the job I changed to is the same money but 44 miles closer to where I live. Gas money saved is worth something though. I hope things work out for you too. We've got some unfinished business to attend to. :-)

Written By: Dee Range on 08/27/06 at 10:04 pm

Haven't moved yet but, the job I changed to is the same money but 44 miles closer to where I live. Gas money saved is worth something though. I hope things work out for you too. We've got some unfinished business to attend to. :-)

Rick, I just joined MySpace and tried to upload one of the songs we finished, but the server was "Too Busy"...I'll try later tonight and see if this laptop will upload the mp3 I burned off Patty's computer. If not, I don't have it in this laptop's memory, so I will have to have you try it. I'll keep you updated.

Written By: Matthias on 08/27/06 at 11:51 pm

Dee Range you have a Myspace?! Hook us up man, Johnny D, Spaff.com, and Jeff Reuben also have them! What's your contact information?

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/28/06 at 1:10 am

Dee Range you have a Myspace?! Hook us up man, Johnny D, Spaff.com, and Jeff Reuben also have them! What's your contact information?

Luke Brattoni has a MySpace, too ...  dontcha, Luke?   ;)

Rick Duncan, does, too ...

Written By: Dee Range on 08/28/06 at 2:18 am

Matthias, here is my MySpace url: http://www.myspace.com/deerange

I just joined yesterday and am having no luck uploading my first song...my freakin' ISP keeps closing during the upload. NetZero is a zero, I guess...I just got hooked up Friday and it keeps closing over and over while I am either uploading or trying to download something.

Anyway, I have not even started to edit my home page there, and know nothing about the site yet. If you have any helpful hints...anybody out there...I would sure be grateful...just send me a PM here on the messageboard. Many thanks in advance. Meanwhile, back to the uploading of my first song, which is an original called "The TV Evangelical Hall Of Shame", which features Rick Cormier doing Bill Clinton's voice in the last chorus...he does a GREAT impersonation of Clinton. If I ever get it uploaded, I will put a link to it here on Amiright so you can have a laugh at my expense -)).

Written By: Rick Cormier on 08/28/06 at 3:50 am

Rick, I just joined MySpace and tried to upload one of the songs we finished, but the server was "Too Busy"...I'll try later tonight and see if this laptop will upload the mp3 I burned off Patty's computer. If not, I don't have it in this laptop's memory, so I will have to have you try it. I'll keep you updated.
What a riot! I've been screwing around with MySpace this weekend too. Screwing it up is more like it. I can't figure out anything. I was able to have a song start playing whenever anyone visits my page but, it's Weird Al's "You're Pitiful". I wasn't able to make it start playing one of my recordings. I'll have to visit one of the HTML oracles like Johnny D or Red Ant.

Written By: Dee Range on 08/28/06 at 4:20 am

What a riot! I've been screwing around with MySpace this weekend too. Screwing it up is more like it. I can't figure out anything. I was able to have a song start playing whenever anyone visits my page but, it's Weird Al's "You're Pitiful". I wasn't able to make it start playing one of my recordings. I'll have to visit one of the HTML oracles like Johnny D or Red Ant.

That is the most screwed up site I have ever seen....now I can't even TRY to upload....the upload section has vanished.I hear TWILIGHT ZONE music...na na na na na na na na.....I'm trying Soundclick now. I hope to never have to go back to MySpace(dout) again....what a freakin waste of three hours. I think the proverbial monkeys with typewriters finally found their niche at MySpace. Freak 'em.

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/28/06 at 7:57 am

That is the most screwed up site I have ever seen....now I can't even TRY to upload....the upload section has vanished.I hear TWILIGHT ZONE music...na na na na na na na na.....I'm trying Soundclick now. I hope to never have to go back to MySpace(dout) again....what a freakin waste of three hours. I think the proverbial monkeys with typewriters finally found their niche at MySpace. Freak 'em.

Dee, I sent you an Add Friend request on MySpace ... should I cancel it now?

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 08/28/06 at 8:37 am

LOL!  I mean.....lol

firstly, welcome home Dee, great to have you back

but, more urgently, set that above paragraph to something by Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers, and rush it into Kristof's "Decathlon2" comp (bugger the rules) - coz there's my 5-votes :)

...and thank God the censor softened your second last word!! :)

Written By: jreuben on 08/28/06 at 8:58 am

Matthias, here is my MySpace url: http://www.myspace.com/deerange

I just joined yesterday and am having no luck uploading my first song...my freakin' ISP keeps closing during the upload. NetZero is a zero, I guess...I just got hooked up Friday and it keeps closing over and over while I am either uploading or trying to download something.

Anyway, I have not even started to edit my home page there, and know nothing about the site yet. If you have any helpful hints...anybody out there...I would sure be grateful...just send me a PM here on the messageboard. Many thanks in advance. Meanwhile, back to the uploading of my first song, which is an original called "The TV Evangelical Hall Of Shame", which features Rick Cormier doing Bill Clinton's voice in the last chorus...he does a GREAT impersonation of Clinton. If I ever get it uploaded, I will put a link to it here on Amiright so you can have a laugh at my expense -)).

Dee, you might need to set yourself up as a band/performer to upload your own songs.  That's what I ended up doing.

Written By: Armstrong on 08/28/06 at 12:42 pm

I don't claim to be the next anything, but have probably been fairly notorious for not leaving comments. I guess I never felt my work required a comment; I kind of post to have a place I can go to archive my moments of fleeting creativity. The rest is just to pop my head in every few months or so and see how everyone is doing. So if you feel slighted by a lack of comment send me a song and I'll get jiggy creative with it...sometime in the next 3 months when I take another break from life to laugh with... well... and AT everyone.  :)

Written By: Dee Range on 08/28/06 at 2:03 pm

Dee, you might need to set yourself up as a band/performer to upload your own songs.  That's what I ended up doing.

Here is my band page at Myspace.....http://www.myspace.com/deerangeandtheredneckmothers.  I have 2 songs being processed at the moment...they say it takes 24 hours to stream them and get them on the sight. One is an original, one a parody. I will put a link up here if/when they are up on Myspace. The "Hall of Shame" original features Rick Cormier doing Bill Clinton's voice in the last chorus (a great impersonation, I might add), and Sixteen Sons, Rick did the music and vocals both.

For everyone who sent the friends request to my original page, which was NOT a band page, please re-send to my band page. I guess I had signed up twice, when I though the band signup was just an extension of my original sign-up process. Maybe the monkees with typewriters are inside my head...LOL...but hopefully everything is working now.

Written By: Dee Range on 08/28/06 at 2:12 pm

Dee, I sent you an Add Friend request on MySpace ... should I cancel it now?

Johnny, please re-send it to:http://www.myspace.com/deerangeandtheredneckmothers. This is my band page. Hopefully the two songs I just uploaded will be available tomorrow. And thanks for sending the request in the first place, and to Spaff and Robert Lund, and Jeff Reuben, for sending the friends request, because...SOB!!...my band page says I have...NO FRIENDS!!!...SOB!!! Dang-nab-it!

Written By: Dee Range on 08/28/06 at 2:21 pm

LOL!  I mean.....lol

firstly, welcome home Dee, great to have you back

but, more urgently, set that above paragraph to something by Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers, and rush it into Kristof's "Decathlon2" comp (bugger the rules) - coz there's my 5-votes :)

...and thank God the censor softened your second last word!! :)

Thanks for the welcome back, Stu. It's weird waking up and it is not 29 degrees outside, like it was in Colorado at 10,000 feet altitude all summer.Here in Las Vegas it is about 90 when the sun comes up, and 110 by noon. I thawed out pretty quick when I got here lol...

I haven't seen Kristof's "Decathlon2" comp yet, I'll try to check it out soon.

Written By: Rick Cormier on 08/28/06 at 3:05 pm

Here is my band page at Myspace.....http://www.myspace.com/deerangeandtheredneckmothers.  I have 2 songs being processed at the moment...they say it takes 24 hours to stream them and get them on the sight. One is an original, one a parody. I will put a link up here if/when they are up on Myspace. The "Hall of Shame" original features Rick Cormier doing Bill Clinton's voice in the last chorus (a great impersonation, I might add), and Sixteen Sons, Rick did the music and vocals both.

For everyone who sent the friends request to my original page, which was NOT a band page, please re-send to my band page. I guess I had signed up twice, when I though the band signup was just an extension of my original sign-up process. Maybe the monkees with typewriters are inside my head...LOL...but hopefully everything is working now.
Dee, I don't know how to invite you as a friend on myspace but, I'll try to figure it out when I get home tonight. I have two more of your songs recorded too. Do you want me to email them to you? If so, I can do that tonight too.

Written By: Dee Range on 08/28/06 at 4:59 pm

Dee, I don't know how to invite you as a friend on myspace but, I'll try to figure it out when I get home tonight. I have two more of your songs recorded too. Do you want me to email them to you? If so, I can do that tonight too.

Cool. Email them, and maybe this crummy laptop will download them without Netzero shutting down, which it already has more times than I can count. Luckily I have a free 30 day trial...I'm already looking to switch to someone else, because I have wasted hours trying to up-load and down-load....which takes hours on dial up...only to have Netzero shut down when I am almost done....then I have to start all over.

Make sure they are in mp3 format so I can upload them to Soundclick and Myspace....one that I have a copy of is .cda and wouldn't upload.

I can't figure out how to add friends yet either...Jeff and Johnny D. sent friend requests to me, as did Spaff, but I haven't figured out how to send them myself yet. If you figger it out, let me know

Written By: Red Ant on 06/09/08 at 10:58 pm

I had a bit of time on my hands, so I thought I'd put together some stats on one day's worth of submissions, that day being yesterday, August 7

21 parodies by 16 writers (22 submissions, but one was a repeat posting)

Average number of votes per parody: 3.95

Highest vote tally: 9 (3 parodies)

Number of parodies with no votes: 2

Number of people leaving comments: 23

Mondays haven't gotten any better: odd since I usually consider it as one of the better days to have a parody up: by virtue of not having Sunday (or Saturday) updates, more people seem to have parodies up on Monday as well as visit the site...

Number of parodies posted today (6/9/08) or over the weekend (3 days since last update): 27
Number of seperate authors who submitted today: ~20 (hard to tell with newbies using multiple names)
Highest vote tally: 5 (1 parody), 3 with 3 votes.
Average number of votes per parody: 1.444
Number of parodies with no votes: 4
Number of parodies with no comments (that had them enabled): 9
Total comments on today's submissions (not counting "thank yous" or other author replies): 26
Average comments per parody: 0.96
Number of different people leaving comments: 9 (4 of which had no parody posted today)

I will say a lot of commenting went on for contest related parodies (odd since it isn't "crunch time" for any of them, but cool), but wow, this is about the most pathetic set of stats I've ever seen for Amiright. I agree with what Kristof posted some two years ago. No blame, just rant... and bewilderment.

PS: I see last week was pretty exceptional as far as submissions go, so today's numbers are perhaps skewed.

Ant

Written By: philbo on 06/11/08 at 10:59 am

I'm definitely someone who's to blame here (if there were blame to be apportioned, that is): I've read quite a few parodies recently without commenting, less frequently without voting - it's like the answer to "what do I say about that?" comes back as "I don't know".  I've often written a comment, then decided I didn't like what I'd just typed and not submitted it, usually when I've wanted to be constructively critical, but it wasn't particularly constructive.  If you see what I mean.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/11/08 at 1:59 pm

^

I've done that before as well, but for different reasons.(like the author not having comments disabled or just deciding it was good enough for a vote) I used to not vote on new entries and went into author pages instead as well.(Big mistake when expecting feedback from some)

I haven't voted much lately, but try to when I'm in the mood.

Which reminds me, I should do that later tonight.

Check for new replies or respond here...