inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: But... this don't feel right

Written By: K1chyd on 08/10/06 at 11:36 am

Hi folks!

I have a new parody up where the intro reads

"Hell hath no fury as a woman (who's butt been) scorned...".

That looked OK to me when I submitted it but when on the page it looked wrong somehow. So I googled a little more and figured out that it should probably be

"Hell hath no fury LIKE a woman (who's butt been) scorned...

But it still looked wrong, and after some minutes I saw the apostrophe in "who's" and figured that it should probably be

"Hell hath no fury like a woman (whos butt been) scorned..."

But it still doesn't look right!

Should it be "whoms butt been"?

I can't seem to figure or google this out... :-\\

//  Peter

PS. Apparently I don't have one of my better days, I've just spotted and corrected FOUR spelling mistakes in this message alone. :-[

PPS. The parody's called "Running with scissors" BTW. No butts there in the title. 8)

Subject: Re: But... this don't feel right

Written By: Red Ant on 08/10/06 at 12:41 pm

I think TT gave me enough of a grammar lesson while he was active for me to take a shot at this:

"Hell hath no fury like a woman (whose butt has been) scorned..."

Try looking here for complete information.

*Red Ant giving grammar advice? The apocalypse is imminent!*

PS: The title of this thread would be more correct if it were "This doesn't feel right." (do periods go inside or outside quotation marks?  :D)

Written By: K1chyd on 08/11/06 at 1:59 am

I think TT gave me enough of a grammar lesson while he was active for me to take a shot at this:

"Hell hath no fury like a woman (whose butt has been) scorned..."

Try looking here for complete information.

*Red Ant giving grammar advice? The apocalypse is imminent!*

PS: The title of this thread would be more correct if it were "This doesn't feel right." (do periods go inside or outside quotation marks?  :D)

Thanks Jack!

I've been working too much on something in Swedish over the course of my vacation, parallel to the daily dig in on old ideas in my sketch book, seems it started to affect my English grammar by the time I wrapped up "Running with scissors". I could tell something was wrong but i couldn't put my finger on what and why. Fatigue? Maybe. A minor mental breakdown? Quite possibly! :D

But what good would a writer be without the occasional ups and downs? 8)

As for periods I'd say that the way I've learned it (though this might not apply for English, come to think about it) is that headlines doesn't really need periods at all and that periods go outside quotation marks in running text, because if there's another sentence directly following the one with quotation marks and they were to go inside you'd have to use two periods, like this: ...end of sentence.". Start of sentence...

Quite an eyesore if you ask me.

The exception being quotations in theses writing, where the period should go inside. Hence quotes like that are preferably written as stand alone paragraphs to avoid a directly following sentence.

That's how I've learnt it anyway, but one of the reasons I left university was that I couldn't stand sitting for hours and hours taking in these things as they are served academically without dozing off. :P

Written By: Cat on 08/11/06 at 9:44 am

Or if you need to contract it, it can be written as "whose butt's been."

I'm one of the resident Grammar Fascists around here, so if you need me just call.

Written By: K1chyd on 08/13/06 at 11:45 am

Or if you need to contract it, it can be written as "whose butt's been."

I'm one of the resident Grammar Fascists around here, so if you need me just call.

Thanx Cat! I think that contraction must have been what eluded me in the first place.

// Peter

Check for new replies or respond here...