inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: DO PARODIES HAVE TO BE FUNNY ?

Written By: tomario on 08/17/06 at 4:24 pm

do parodies have to be funny?i.ve seen lots of parodies lately that have been very well written but not that funny.how do you vote ?do you give it three 5s cos you like it or give it a low mark for the funny bit? :-\\#
anybody help ?

Subject: Re: DO PARODIES HAVE TO BE FUNNY ?

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/17/06 at 4:57 pm

do parodies have to be funny?i.ve seen lots of parodies lately that have been very well written but not that funny.how do you vote ?do you give it three 5s cos you like it or give it a low mark for the funny bit? :-\\#
anybody help ?

Use The Farce, Luke -- trust your feelings!  ;D

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/17/06 at 5:07 pm

"What do you think, Dark Helmet?  Is that a FUNNY Space-Parody?"

"Well, its SCHWARZ isn't as BIG as mine ... but I guess it's funny."

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/JessicaVasta/spaceballs.jpg

Written By: The Charnstar on 08/17/06 at 7:11 pm

HAHAHA! GO SPACE-BALLS!

Written By: Red Ant on 08/17/06 at 8:15 pm

do parodies have to be funny?

According to the International Rulebook of Parodies, printing #37, Volume 3, Chapter 4: Humor, I cannot find any rules stating that parodies have to be funny.  ;)

i.ve seen lots of parodies lately that have been very well written but not that funny.how do you vote ?do you give it three 5s cos you like it or give it a low mark for the funny bit? :-\\#
anybody help ?

Interestingly enough, pacing has usually been the hot topic when someone asks 'how to vote'. Countless threads have been the subject of long debates over every conceivable detail of pacing, yet few exist for humor, and for good reason: Humor is unique to every person.

I generally give 5s on humor most of the time. I have a ton of substitutions for the word funny, including "tributes", "well-written", "heartfelt", "intriguing", "bizarre", "original" and so on.

From the top of my head, these are some cases (in no particular order) where I haven't awarded a 5 for funny:

1: The parody, despite being well written, just didn't do it for me, probably because I missed a joke or because it is too obscure a topic, one that I have no idea about.
2: The pacing is so bad as to weigh down the humor too.
3: Severely repetitive choruses (or other parts) often lose in humor.
4: Seriously incomplete parodies will not get full marks from me in any category. Note: putting "repeat chorus", while kind of lame, will satisfy my need for completeness.  ;)
5: Parody content is in extremely 'poor taste'.
6: Apologies to those who like to write a lot of political pieces (any stance), but know that it takes a lot more to get a 5 from me in humor than "Shrub is dumb", "liberals suck", and the like.

Note that 2,3 and 4 are more technical issues rather than any problem with humor.

But, to directly answer your question, most of the time I will award 5s for a well-written parody.

Oh, and Johnny D's picture and caption are funnier than my post.  ;D

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 08/18/06 at 12:12 pm

I'm with Jack (well, not WITH him as such...I mean, we're not a couple or anything... :-[)

This is how I vote:

PACING: says it all, really. If I can sing along to the OS without stumbling too much, I'll usually give a 5

FUNNY: I replace "funny" with "creativity". Good ideas, interesting use of language, a strong message well put, the ability to make me laugh OR think, usually get top marks

OVERALL: The extra "bits"...spelling, layout (yeah, I'm fussy) and structure all count in this category for me. You can score 5s from me in the first two, and STILL get a lower score here, if your parody looks messy, uses too much LEETspeak, has bad punctuation etc. Not that this happens often; people who put alot of effort into their parodies usually get it ALL right

Written By: Cat on 08/18/06 at 6:10 pm

uses too much LEETspeak

...unless, of course, it's done in an ironic and mocking way. ;)

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 08/18/06 at 7:05 pm

ironic and mocking

bingo - automatic 555 from me ;)

Written By: Josh2 on 08/19/06 at 5:19 pm

yay space balls in my mouth

? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 08/20/06 at 4:27 am

Adagio has done plenty of more poetic and serious parodies if you want to check those out.

Check for new replies or respond here...