inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Recordings

Written By: Rick Cormier on 08/29/06 at 9:01 am

It has been almost a year and a half since I joined the Amiright community. During this time, I have recorded a few of my parodies, as well as one by Spaff.com. Some of you may not know it but, Dee Range and I collaborated on a few songs as well, resulting in four recordings so far. We had planned to do an entire CD but, that project was put on hold, due to the death of his sister, Patty and, Dee's having to relocate.

It sounds like Dee is planning to post some (or all) of those four in the near future. That is up to him since they are his parodies. I may have changed a word or sentence or, added a verse here and there but, for the most part, they are the products of his twisted, comedic mind.

I'm sure Dee will let us know when those recordings are available. I hope you enjoy them.

Also, I've posted a couple of original songs of mine, some of the first recordings I did a couple of years ago, when I was teaching myself to record, using the PC as the main recording and engineering tool. Please pardon any imbalances between tracks.  ;) As John Lennon said, "Here it is, warts and all." (or something like that).

Those are available at the link below. Again, I hope you enjoy them. :)

Subject: Re: Recordings

Written By: Red Ant on 08/29/06 at 2:14 pm

I'll check 'em out as soon as my phone line gets repaired (again). Static in line = random disconnects and atrocious  connection speed.  >:(

Written By: Rick Cormier on 08/30/06 at 5:56 am

I'll check 'em out as soon as my phone line gets repaired (again). Static in line = random disconnects and atrocious  connection speed.  >:(
Thanks Jack, sorry about your PC / phone problems. I HATE when that happens.

I got a couple of inquiries about the reversed section in Spaff's "A Day in the Exodus". So, I reversed it again so it plays forward. You can hear it here: http://www.putfile.com/ricloose/media

It's the spoken part from Isaac Hayes' song, "Shaft", where he says, "They say that cat Spaff is a bad mother...The girls stop him with, "Shut your mouth!". He says, "I'm just talkin' 'bout Spaff!" and, they answer with, "Then we can dig it!".

I'd like to do a recording with other Amirighters, maybe something where a bunch of us could contribute parts. Anyone with a microphone that plugs into a computer could be on it.

Does anyone have a parody they've written that would lend itself to such a thing? It could be like a "We Are the World" kind of thing. It could also be a song where different authors could pick a verse to sing.
If you play an instrument and, want to add it to the mix, that can be done too.

People are doing this kind of thing all over the internet now. Sometimes, they start with just a drum track. The person that did the drums emails an Mp3 of his track to a bass player. The bass player records his track onto the drum track then forwards what is now bass and drums to a guitarist, etc.

Please respond to this thread with any interest or ideas.

Written By: adagio on 08/30/06 at 8:00 am

I've been amazed at all the hidden talent on Amiright! Of course, I've been following Rick Cormier's recordings for quite a while.  Oh, Rick, do you still have "It's Rover" on there? Talk about funny!! And I often have to ask if that is him singing, because Rick sings in various well-known voices...this one sounded exactly like Roy Orbison.

And I listened to Dee's recording with Rick doing a cameo of Clinton...extremely funny!!

Written By: Meriadoc on 08/31/06 at 12:24 am

I listened to a few of your recordings Rick - you have a really nice voice! :)

Written By: The Charnstar on 08/31/06 at 5:14 am

I've only heard A Day in Exodus, and I loved it, I dunno where to find your other recordings though

Written By: Rick Cormier on 08/31/06 at 7:14 am

I've only heard A Day in Exodus, and I loved it, I dunno where to find your other recordings though
If you click on the link in green at the bottom of this comment, it will take you to my SoundClick page. Everything I've posted so far is up there. Next to each song, you'll see "lo-fi", "hi-fi" or "Mp3" (depending on the connection speed of your PC) and, if you click one of those, a new window opens up with the song playing. In that new window, if you click on "Lyrics/Story", it will open another window with the lyrics.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 08/31/06 at 9:47 am

As John Lennon said, "Here it is, warts and all."

and as he also said (and I'm sure this also relates to you, Rick)

"gotta be good-lookin' coz he's so hard to see"

Written By: Rick Cormier on 08/31/06 at 11:55 am

and as he also said (and I'm sure this also relates to you, Rick)

"gotta be good-lookin' coz he's so hard to see"

Stu, glad you dropped by. I was going to PM an idea to you. A couple of comments up, I mentioned something that, either was overlooked or, there really is no interest in. Perhaps you, with your wonderfully brilliant mind (especially for piecing together elaborate productions) and, your Svengali-like way with people, could help get it off the ground? (flatter first, ask later he he he)

I've done a few recordings but, they're mostly me. I'd like to record something in which a slew of us can participate. Perhaps I should start a separate thread about it?

As I said above, a lot of people are doing this kind of thing over the internet. A drummer lays down a drum track, emails his track to a bassist. The bassist adds a bass track and emails what is now bass and drums to a guitarist, etc.

I can engineer the thing and fill in any instruments that nobody else plays but, I'd rather stay in the background, as much as possible.

Anybody who doesn't play an instrument can do a vocal part and blah, blah, blah.....

Does this sound like fun to you or, a logistical nightmare?

Please give it some thought. Anything you come up with, I'm sure will be brilliant....Rick

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 08/31/06 at 7:41 pm

Does this sound like fun to you or, a logistical nightmare?

Please give it some thought. Anything you come up with, I'm sure will be brilliant....Rick

yes, I've got an idea already that might dovetail nicely with that idea of yours, Rick - check out your PM's

Written By: jreuben on 08/31/06 at 8:47 pm

Rick, I'd be interested in helping out as well if something works out.

Written By: Matthias on 08/31/06 at 9:53 pm

I don't play an insturment, and I sing like crap so.... uhm..... If there's any other way that I can help, I'm all for it... heh

Written By: Rick Cormier on 08/31/06 at 11:32 pm

I want to do something that involves as many of us as possible, whether you don't sing well or play an instrument.

I think Stu has a good idea for it. I'm going to be on vacation, with no computer access, for 10 days starting tomorrow night. I will give it some more thought (as far as the best way to get recordings of everyone) and let you know what I come up with.

Any of you whom already have some familiarity with recording and, want to lend a hand...jump on in.

Written By: Red Ant on 09/01/06 at 12:18 am

Thanks Jack, sorry about your PC / phone problems. I HATE when that happens.

They've come 4 times in the last month and "repaired" the line. I'm getting a bit tired of it, and am seriously thinking of eating the 30-50$ a month to go to cable internet.

Does anyone have a parody they've written that would lend itself to such a thing? It could be like a "We Are the World" kind of thing. It could also be a song where different authors could pick a verse to sing.
If you play an instrument and, want to add it to the mix, that can be done too.

I've written quite a few made for 2 people to sing, but two that stick out as possible group efforts are "Battle Hymn of the Darwin Awards" and "Spamming Pests". Both are fairly easy to sing, and "BHofDA" could support up to 12 people (6 verses, 6 choruses). Spamming Pests is made for two main singers, but there are several lines that people could contribute for the spammer's part.

If we went with a BOG parody, I'd rather sing a part of "Chia Pests" though.

Please respond to this thread with any interest or ideas.

I don't have any idea how well this would work, if at all, but for those that have no recording equipment or experience, could they sing over a telephone line? That is, they call you (or vice-versa) and then they can get a few practice runs so all the voices in the final recording would come out in a similar key and speed?

It does sound like fun, AND a logistical nightmare, but a group recording would be something to be truly proud of, even if the final result would make Simon Cowell have a seizure.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 09/04/06 at 7:07 pm

I want to do something that involves as many of us as possible, whether you don't sing well or play an instrument.

I think Stu has a good idea for it. I'm going to be on vacation, with no computer access, for 10 days starting tomorrow night. I will give it some more thought (as far as the best way to get recordings of everyone) and let you know what I come up with.

Any of you whom already have some familiarity with recording and, want to lend a hand...jump on in.

Rick, I have no idea about recording, but if anyone wants to tutor me in that area....I play bass, guitar, flute, and piano and I can sing a bit. Let me know, amigo!

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 09/04/06 at 7:51 pm

I play bass, guitar, flute, and piano and I can sing a bit.

so what?  I play bass, guitar, flute, piano, can sing a bit, and juggle  (at the same time, wearing a blindfold, underwater :P)

Written By: The Charnstar on 09/09/06 at 7:49 pm

YAY! I've heard most of your recordings now RC, great stuff. I have NO idea how to record anything, but I've always wanted to record some of my parodies, I can only ever sing them live at Karaoke type things... They SO love me

Written By: Rick Cormier on 09/12/06 at 12:21 pm

YAY! I've heard most of your recordings now RC, great stuff. I have NO idea how to record anything, but I've always wanted to record some of my parodies, I can only ever sing them live at Karaoke type things... They SO love me
Thanks, Charnstar. I appreciate that.

OK, here's the deal...most PCs that are within a few years old, (if running Windows 2000 and up) probably have a sound card that allows you to play and record at the same time. I'm not sure about Macs, since I've never used one but, from what I've read, Macs have always been at the forefront of technology, when it comes to sound and vision on a computer so, if you are a Mac user, you're probably already ahead of the game.

If you are using Windows, there is a program called "Sound Recorder" which you can use to record up to 60 seconds. That would be enough for you to record a line or two from whatever parody we choose. You will find it by clicking START / ALL PROGRAMS / ACCESSORIES /  ENTERTAINMENT (assuming you have Windows XP).

Another way to record is by using your sound card's software. If you are not sure what you have for a sound card, you can identify it by going to CONTROL PANEL / SYSTEM / DEVICE MANAGER. Click the PLUS sign next to SOUND, VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLERS and you will see your sound card listed there. Most sound cards come with recording software. If yours did, you will be able to record using that.

OK, now you need a microphone. PC mics are very cheap nowadays. They have a mini jack that plugs directly into your sound card and produce good enough quality for our project. I can clean up anything that sounds too bright or too muddy. Someone you know MUST have some sort of microphone that will work.

Sound Recorder is very simple to use. Plug the microphone into the LINE-IN jack on your computer. Click the red RECORD button and sing away for 60 seconds. Once you stop the recording, you can play it back and hear the results. You may have to give it a title and save it first so, save it in a location where you can find it easily.

Hint: If you cannot hear anything from your recording, double-click on the small, blue speaker in your taskbar. A window with a bunch of sliders opens. At the top of that window, click OPTIONS, then PROPERTIES.  In the PROPERTIES window, click the RECORDING button and, at the bottom of the window, make sure MICROPHONE is checked. This opens a window called RECORDING CONTROL. Make sure the Mic is selected in this window and, you should now be able to record.

OK, that's the first step in getting going with recording. Try to do a simple voice recording and let me know if it is successful.

If you are unable to record anything or, you need more help, reply here and I'll see what I can do.

Written By: The Charnstar on 09/13/06 at 2:44 am

Thanks Rick, I got all that done... But... how do I get the music and McJazz in there? That's what I'm REALLY confuzzled about

Written By: tmayfield on 09/13/06 at 8:59 am

If you are using Windows, there is a program called "Sound Recorder" which you can use to record up to 60 seconds.

Sound Recorder can actually record much longer than 60 seconds, you just have to 'trick' it into allowing it. Say you record a 60 second "Wav" of silence. You can then insert this into the currently loaded wav a few times. You can easily have 6 or 8 minutes of silence this way. Then save that to disk and you have a good starting place for new recordings of longer than 60 seconds.

Microsoft, ya gotta love it!  :o

Written By: Rick Cormier on 09/13/06 at 10:59 am

Thanks Rick, I got all that done... But... how do I get the music and McJazz in there? That's what I'm REALLY confuzzled about
Someone is going to start the music off, like with bass and drums. If nobody else can do that, I can get the ball rolling.

Once it comes to your part, Charnstar, you are sent an mp3 of whatever tracks have been laid down so far (we'll say bass and drums for now). You get Sound Recorder ready to record but, start the mp3 playing with something like Windows Media Player.

Let's say we have a click track for four beats. If you are playing guitar, you have your guitar plugged into the sound card, instead of a microphone. As soon as you hear the click track start, you hit the record button on Sound Recorder and start playing your guitar when it is time. Sound Recorder will then record the mp3 you were sent PLUS the guitar track you just added. You can keep doing this over without saving it until you are happy with the results.

When you are happy with it, you save it as a new file and email it to the next guy who is going to record the part of the angry gorilla.

This is not the ideal way to do it but, it will work.

A better way would be to offload the mp3, with bass and drums on it, onto an iPod or CD player. You listen to the bass and drums with headphones, start Sound Recorder and record just your guitar part. This results in an isolated recording of just the guitar. This isolated guitar track can now be sent to me and I (or someone else with advanced recording software) can enhance it using digital effects.

Stuart McArthur, are you ready for your screen test?

Written By: Rick Cormier on 09/13/06 at 5:17 pm

Sound Recorder can actually record much longer than 60 seconds, you just have to 'trick' it into allowing it. Say you record a 60 second "Wav" of silence. You can then insert this into the currently loaded wav a few times. You can easily have 6 or 8 minutes of silence this way. Then save that to disk and you have a good starting place for new recordings of longer than 60 seconds.

Microsoft, ya gotta love it!  :o
I didn't know about that trick, Tim. Thanks for the lesson. Hey, is it you that requested permission to be my friend at MySpace? Somebody named Timothy sent me an email but, I thought it was a guy I worked with. I asked him today and he said no. I'm now assuming it is you and I will gladly respond. Sorry for the delay there.  :)

Written By: The Charnstar on 09/14/06 at 5:20 am

Oh my god, I must say Tim... That is GENIOUS! I never thought of that, and I see I'm not the only one Hehehe. But that is an AWESOME trick! Thanks! I'll probably record a song when I get a better microphone (One came with my computer, but it's really light and can't record very well ) Cool

Written By: tmayfield on 09/16/06 at 1:06 am

Hey, is it you that requested permission to be my friend at MySpace? Somebody named Timothy sent me an email but, I thought it was a guy I worked with. I asked him today and he said no. I'm now assuming it is you and I will gladly respond. Sorry for the delay there.  :)

Yes, as you can see by my Lego "Bb" person in the image on my myspace page. I don't think they let you see that image before you accept the friend request, but I see you have already agreed, so I can end my response here...  ;D

Written By: tmayfield on 09/16/06 at 1:19 am

Oh my god, I must say Tim... That is GENIOUS! I never thought of that, and I see I'm not the only one Hehehe. But that is an AWESOME trick! Thanks! I'll probably record a song when I get a better microphone (One came with my computer, but it's really light and can't record very well ) Cool

Yes, this trick has been around since the advent of Windows 95. But, be careful, while a single 60 second wav file only takes up 10 MB of space, each time you record an 8 minute wav, you are going to give up 80 MB of space. So after 20 saved 'takes' you will have thrown 1.6 GB away to wav files (if you like part of a 'take' and wish to clip it or use it in another you have to keep the entire take at first). I use Adobe Audition, so I am able to clip, splice, place my recordings exactly where they sound best, and save my 'takes' as MP3 files (although I have 570 GB of HD space and don't cry much over a 2 GB test recording.

Written By: Rick Cormier on 09/17/06 at 6:01 am

I tried my suggestion of using Sound Recorder and Windows Media Player to record a vocal on an existing mp3 song file on my PC but, it didn't work. Sound Recorder only records from one source at a time. It would work to record an isolated vocal track if you downloaded the mp3 to a CD player and listened with headphones, while singing through the microphone.

Tim, do you know of any free software that can handle playing a song file on a PC, while it records one additional track, resulting in a new recording of both?

Written By: The Charnstar on 09/17/06 at 6:18 am

I found an awesome free program called Audacity, I tried it out today, looks REALLY good... although I am an amateur, but yeah, I suggest you check that out Rick, you load an MP3, and record over it, then export it as an MP3, and you got it

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 09/17/06 at 7:21 am

Also, decreasing the speed of a recording a few times stretches out the length, then you just go record over what you've done whilst the time line remains the same length.

...just in case, ya kow...

Written By: tmayfield on 09/18/06 at 10:53 pm

I tried my suggestion of using Sound Recorder and Windows Media Player to record a vocal on an existing mp3 song file on my PC but, it didn't work. Sound Recorder only records from one source at a time. It would work to record an isolated vocal track if you downloaded the mp3 to a CD player and listened with headphones, while singing through the microphone.

Tim, do you know of any free software that can handle playing a song file on a PC, while it records one additional track, resulting in a new recording of both?

I don't. I used to use Total Recorder for that kind of 'magic' but I don't anymore.  Total Recorder Standard Edition costs just $17.95 (USD). It is really good for stealing audio from 'any' sound source, copyrighted or not. I, of course, would never steal copyrighted audio, but if you did want to, it could do it.

Written By: tmayfield on 09/18/06 at 11:00 pm

I found an awesome free program called Audacity, I tried it out today, looks REALLY good... although I am an amateur, but yeah, I suggest you check that out Rick, you load an MP3, and record over it, then export it as an MP3, and you got it

That reminds me of Goldwave, which I also used to use. Goldwave is a bit pricier than free (US$55), but has a cajillion additional features that audacity had the audacity to leave off.
http://www.goldwave.com/images/gwmain.png

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 09/19/06 at 3:07 am

Stuart McArthur, are you ready for your screen test?

hot diggity yes, Rickster!!! (sorry - I only just saw this challenge)

however, reading your subsequent post below, I take it it's not that easy? :(

Written By: Rick Cormier on 09/20/06 at 4:12 am

hot diggity yes, Rickster!!! (sorry - I only just saw this challenge)

however, reading your subsequent post below, I take it it's not that easy? :(

Stu, sorry for the delay. Yes, there have been some problems in getting this recording thing to work using basic or free recording software. I will download a copy of Audacity and try it out.

If it does the trick, I will instruct you in how to use it.

Do you have a microphone that you can plug into your PC or, do you know someone who does?

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 09/20/06 at 5:01 am

Stu, sorry for the delay. Yes, there have been some problems in getting this recording thing to work using basic or free recording software. I will download a copy of Audacity and try it out.

If it does the trick, I will instruct you in how to use it.

Do you have a microphone that you can plug into your PC or, do you know someone who does?

er, hold on while I ask my teenage son.....

*disappears, maybe forever, into darkened teenage boy's room* http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hiding.gif

Written By: Rick Cormier on 09/20/06 at 5:58 pm

Great job, Charnstar! Audacity will handle what we need to do quite nicely. Anyone who wants to try recording can get it here:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows

I downloaded the 1.2.4b version, not the Beta version.

If you have a microphone connected to your PC, you're ready to be the next Robert Lund!

Once you install the program, open it and select File, then select Open.

In the window that opens, browse for a music (preferably an Mp3) file on your computer.

When you find one, double click it and it will load the Mp3 into the Audacity program.

There is a window in the middle of the screen which has a drop-down box for selecting your recording source. Click the down arrow and select "Microphone".

To start singing along with the song, click on the RED circle at the top of the screen (the one just to the right of the green "Play" arrow).

You can adjust the master volume and microphone volume using the sliders just below the Play/Record buttons.

Don't worry that you're talking or singing over the original vocal, this is just for practice. When we're ready to do the real thing, we will be working with karaoke-like, instrumental tracks.

To listen to the Mp3 with your voice added to it, click the green arrow. When you're satisfied with it, you can save it from the File menu.

In order to record yourself, all you need is a computer with a sound card and, a microphone (you can get one for $10.00 US). Then, download Audacity.

Check your computer's manual for where to plug in the microphone. If you don't hear yourself or, the sound is distorted, here are a couple of troubleshooting tips:

Maybe the biggest problem with setting up a microphone is selecting it as the input device through the Windows

Written By: Rick Cormier on 09/20/06 at 6:24 pm

Rick, I have no idea about recording, but if anyone wants to tutor me in that area....I play bass, guitar, flute, and piano and I can sing a bit. Let me know, amigo!
Kristof, I apologize for the delay in responding. I've been running in 25 directions lately.

Yes, I'm sure one or all of those instruments would be needed. My comment just prior to this one has the information you need to get started. Any of your instruments could be recorded onto a track using a microphone as described above through the free program "Audacity".

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 09/21/06 at 1:19 am

hi Rick - now, I've bought a mike, and I've downloaded Audacity

It all works, but my vocals are very bad quality

It records on a very low level (I've done all the adjustments you said) but I realised that when you play it back you lower the mp3 volume level and raise the voice-over's volume level and that gets it right, except for the poor quality of my voice's recording compared with the mp3's quality - can you then save it with those adjusted playback levels or not?

what next?

(I tried to buy karaoke tracks from itunes but they're mp4 and audacity won't recognise them - any tips on how to change themto mp3? - is it possible?)

stu

Written By: The Charnstar on 09/21/06 at 1:59 am

In Audacity, you can amplify your recording in the Effect menu. I've been trying to record Ballad Of Spider-Man 2 (the only karaoke version I have of a song), but if I sing too loud it rings, and if I sing too quiet, it'll get deleted when I use Noise Removal. As for the Karaoke tracks, I would say look for a mp4 - mp3 converter on google, like All2Mp3. I'll search for some right now and report back as soon as possible

Written By: The Charnstar on 09/21/06 at 2:05 am

Turns out it didn't take long to find some. Here and here seem good, I wouldn't know, I don't have any mp4's, so you will have to be the guinea pig. MUA HA HA HA HA!

Written By: Rick Cormier on 09/21/06 at 4:51 am

hi Rick - now, I've bought a mike, and I've downloaded Audacity

It all works, but my vocals are very bad quality

It records on a very low level (I've done all the adjustments you said) but I realised that when you play it back you lower the mp3 volume level and raise the voice-over's volume level and that gets it right, except for the poor quality of my voice's recording compared with the mp3's quality - can you then save it with those adjusted playback levels or not?

what next?

(I tried to buy karaoke tracks from itunes but they're mp4 and audacity won't recognise them - any tips on how to change themto mp3? - is it possible?)

stu
When we get down to actually recording the parody or parodies for this project, I will send you the tracks in Mp3 format so, the format thing with Audacity won't be an issue.

Also, when we do it, it would be best if everyone took the Mp3, put it on a CD (or downloaded it to an iPod). Then listened to it with headphones through the personal music player, while singing their part in Audacity. That way, all that is recorded in Audacity is your voice or instrument part. If it is done this way, you can send me just your part and I will be able to improve the sound over what Audacity can do and, add it to the mix.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 09/21/06 at 6:22 am

I would now like to say that I am perfectly able to be a part of this...even though my voice isn't all that good...I'll let you be the judge of that.

Written By: Rick Cormier on 09/21/06 at 12:02 pm

I would now like to say that I am perfectly able to be a part of this...even though my voice isn't all that good...I'll let you be the judge of that.
Well, you're certainly welcome to be a part of it, conq!

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 09/21/06 at 6:56 pm

okay, Rick and Charnstar, my self-deluded naive eyes have been opened....

With gay abandon I dove into this idea.  Bought the mike, downloaded the software - fantastic I thought - never too old to start a singing career I thought (Michael Jackson and I are about the same age, so hey, I could pick up his dropped batton and run with it...)

so I record myself, right?....hmm, that can't be right.  That cannot be my voice.  I adjust all the settings, like the 2 of you told me to - hmm, still godawful - must be a software problem

so I record myself offline - nope, no software problem

so I think to myself, how hard could this be?  Rick, and Dee, and JD, and Phil, and Merry and Pippin, and countless other amirighters can sing - where's the difficulty?

so I stand away from the desk and open up my diaphragm - I open my arms Pavarotti-style and sing from my stomach - I try to access my inner Kurt Cobain - it's dead (not surprisingly)

Maybe if I lower my voice an octave, I think.  Now I'm in the musical wilderness out the back door.  Apparently my range is 4 notes (and "notes" is a serious over-embellishment)

Then, as it is inclined to, the truth sneaks up and whacks me over the head with a croquet mallet - I effin' can't sing!...the horror!

Somehow, because Miss Lewis said I was the second best boy singer in my Grade 5 class, I just assumed I had the god-bestowed goods - which one day, through the generous guidance of a couple of internet buddies, would suddenly flower and astonish the performing arts world 

but alas, not so, and Rick I might have to withdraw from this wonderful project - my excuse: deep shame  :\'(

(or I could buy a kazoo)

Written By: Rick Cormier on 09/22/06 at 5:54 am

okay, Rick and Charnstar, my self-deluded naive eyes have been opened....

With gay abandon I dove into this idea.  Bought the mike, downloaded the software - fantastic I thought - never too old to start a singing career I thought (Michael Jackson and I are about the same age, so hey, I could pick up his dropped batton and run with it...)

so I record myself, right?....hmm, that can't be right.  That cannot be my voice.  I adjust all the settings, like the 2 of you told me to - hmm, still godawful - must be a software problem

so I record myself offline - nope, no software problem

so I think to myself, how hard could this be?  Rick, and Dee, and JD, and Phil, and Merry and Pippin, and countless other amirighters can sing - where's the difficulty?

so I stand away from the desk and open up my diaphragm - I open my arms Pavarotti-style and sing from my stomach - I try to access my inner Kurt Cobain - it's dead (not surprisingly)

Maybe if I lower my voice an octave, I think.  Now I'm in the musical wilderness out the back door.  Apparently my range is 4 notes (and "notes" is a serious over-embellishment)

Then, as it is inclined to, the truth sneaks up and whacks me over the head with a croquet mallet - I effin' can't sing!...the horror!

Somehow, because Miss Lewis said I was the second best boy singer in my Grade 5 class, I just assumed I had the god-bestowed goods - which one day, through the generous guidance of a couple of internet buddies, would suddenly flower and astonish the performing arts world 

but alas, not so, and Rick I might have to withdraw from this wonderful project - my excuse: deep shame  :\'(

(or I could buy a kazoo)

Stu, your resignation is denied.

If you record your vocal part the way I described above (listening to the Mp3 on a personal music player with headphones while singing into the mic, so that you only record your vocal part in Audacity), I can make adjustments to your pitch, if it is off. I doubt, with your pacing skills, that timing will be an issue.

You don't have to sound like Frank Sinatra. Listen to Nancy Sinatra or Sonny Bono sometime. Better yet, watch the auditioning segments of "American Idol".

This is going to be a comic recording. Besides, if we did a song like "The Darwin Awards" or "Achy, Breaky Heart", there isn't much requirement for vocal expertise.

Record something and email it to me at ricloose@yahoo.com. Make it only about 15 seconds long because Audacity only records .WAV files. WAV files are about 10 times larger than Mp3 files and a 3 minute song in that format would be too large to email. We'll have to find another free program that converts .WAV to Mp3 for emailing purposes when we're ready to record multiple author's parts. I know there are free programs available but, I haven't searched for one and tried it yet. I'll see what I can do about that this weekend.
Send me another email with the Mp3 you were singing along with too.

Anyway, send me the file and I'll make some adjustments to it and add your vocal part to the Mp3. Then I'll email it back to you. With the pitch correction, a little reverb and some compression added to your voice, you should be surprised at the difference.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 09/22/06 at 10:37 am

Rick, got meself a mike (

Written By: Rick Cormier on 09/22/06 at 11:26 am

Rick, got meself a mike (

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 09/22/06 at 12:00 pm

Stu, your resignation is denied.

denied?  but you can't just....

*Oddjob fixes me with a steely glare and flings razor-edged bowler hat within millimetres of my nose*

oh, you're THAT Rick Cormier! er, heh heh....(gulp)

What really riled the hounds in me, KR, was this MacArthur fellow's buckling without so much as a howdy-do

um, howdy-er-do...

after saying he could sing, play piano, bass, flute and juggle at the same time. It's pretty obvious that all of his boastful parodies about women were written strictly from an observer's point of view and not from experience..

(dang, is there nothing this guy doesn't know?? :-passive-aggressives! - and that Kristof dude's no bloody help >:()

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 09/22/06 at 12:52 pm

(.....bloody passive-aggressives! - and that Kristof dude's no bloody help >:()

I'm not here to help, Stu...I'm here to cajole, threaten and occasionally mentally torture those who don't subscribe to The Kristof Way (available at all good bookstores for under a twenty)

oh...and I'm not passive-aggressive....I've never been passive a day in my life!  ;)

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 09/22/06 at 7:22 pm

oh...and I'm not passive-aggressive....I've never been passive a day in my life!  ;)

good point - wasn't thinking....

* modifies previous post *

:)

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 09/23/06 at 4:25 am

okay, Rick, I've emailed you mt first effort (just the first 3 verses of Kristof's Achy Breaky "Speed") which I recorded on my computer's sound recorder to make a wav file of 120meg, then reduced the size of (an option in Properties) to 11.5 meg so I could attach it and send it to you

let me know if it worked :)

Written By: Rick Cormier on 09/23/06 at 6:34 am

okay, Rick, I've emailed you mt first effort (just the first 3 verses of Kristof's Achy Breaky "Speed") which I recorded on my computer's sound recorder to make a wav file of 120meg, then reduced the size of (an option in Properties) to 11.5 meg so I could attach it and send it to you

let me know if it worked :)

I didn't get it, Stu. 11.5 meg is too large a file to send to my Yahoo address. You will probably have received a notice that it was undeliverable.

OK, here is an easier way around that problem:

I use www.putfile.com to post copies of an OS for DKTOS purposes during contests. It is easy to post and remove the song files. If all of us has a Putfile account (or some other free service), we can swap the files that way as each of us adds his part.

We set up the order of recording in advance so that (for example) Stu goes first. He adds his part and notifies bobpiecheese that the file is now on Putfile.com and Stu provides a link to it for bobpiecheese. bobpiecheese downloads the file from Putfile. He adds his part and uploads it to Putfile and notifies Kristof, etc.

It's either that or, we use one of the programs the Charnstar talked about to convert the file from .WAV to .Mp3 and email it around. I already have a conversion program but, it's part of my recording software and, I can't separate it and send it out for the rest of you to use.

In any case, Stu, the 120meg file you originally mentioned is WAY too large a file to be easily managed, whether by email or Putfile. The 11.5meg is still too large so, we need something that will convert it to an .Mp3 at 128kpbs, which is CD quality sound. At 128kbps, a 3 minute song is usually under, or around 3meg. All of my recordings on Soundclick were converted from .WAV to .Mp3 at 128kbps and (IMO) the sound quality is decent.

I know this may be sounding complicated but, once we get the hang of it, it really won't be that difficult and I think the end result will be worth it. :) :) :)

Check for new replies or respond here...