inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Straight Outta Lynwood" tracklist

Written By: weirdojace on 09/02/06 at 5:53 pm

I dunno if you all know the tracklist or not, but it's out now:

1. White and Nerdy ("Ridin" by Chamillionaire)
2. Pancreas
3. Canadian Idiot ("American Idiot" by Green Day)
4. I'll Sue Ya

5. Polkarama:
"Let's Get It Started" by the Black Eyed Peas
"Take Me Out" by Franz Ferdinand
"Beverly Hills" by Weezer
"Speed Of Sound" by Coldplay
"Float On" by Modest Mouse
"Feel Good, Inc." by Gorillaz
"Don't Cha" by the Pussycat Dolls
"Somebody Told Me" by The Killers
"Slither" by Velvet Revolver
"Candy Shop" by 50 Cent
"Drop It Like It's Hot" by Snoop Dogg
"Pon de Replay" by Rihanna
"Gold Digger" by Kanye West

6. Virus Alert
7. Confessions Part III ("Confessions Part II" by Usher)
8. Weasel Stomping Day
9. Close, But No Cigar
10. Do I Creep You Out? ("Do I Make You Proud?" by Taylor Hicks)
11. Trapped in the Drive-Thru ("Trapped in the Closet" by R-Kelly)
12. Don't Download This Song

So yeah, that's it. Mp3's of White & Nerdy and Canadian Idiot have been spreading around. Oh, and "Trapped in the Drive-Thru" is 10 minutes long.

The originals are all having animated music videos made for them:
Pancreas - the guy who made Star Wars Gangsta Rap, I forget his name
I'll Sue Ya - The only video for which we don't know who's making it...
Virus Alert - Retarded animal babies
Weasel Stomping Day - Seth Green
Close But No Cigar - John Krisfalusci
Don't Download This Song - Bill Plympton

Subject: Re: "Straight Outta Lynwood" tracklist

Written By: ThaConqueror on 09/03/06 at 2:32 am

How did you get this?

Written By: The Charnstar on 09/03/06 at 3:22 am

I found it on some random Forum site... Some guy got a pre-release version 'cause of where he works, and he posted it as this guy did... I dunno if they are the same people... But still

Written By: Josh2 on 09/03/06 at 3:55 pm

Mp3's of White & Nerdy and Canadian Idiot have been spreading around.

They have have they (hint hint)

Written By: David Sari on 09/03/06 at 4:37 pm

Where's the James Blunt parody "You're Pitiful"?  :-\\

Can't wait for the CD

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/03/06 at 7:00 pm

Where's the James Blunt parody "You're Pitiful"?  :-\\

Can't wait for the CD

James record company won't allow it, (even though James ok'd it).  Actually held up the album by 4 months too.  So it's strictly available on the web

Written By: weirdojace on 09/03/06 at 7:57 pm

Yeah but that's a good thing because we got two new songs out of it. (White & Nerdy and Do I Creep You Out.)

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 09/04/06 at 3:53 pm

:\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

WHAT, no Britney Spears parody??!!! Oh, come on, Al, we've been waiting for seven freakin' years! But I am looking forward to "Trapped in the Drive-Thru" and "Canadian Idiot." I wonder what "Don't Download This Song" is gonna be like. Looks like another winner for Al.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 09/05/06 at 1:21 am

I wonder what "Don't Download This Song" is gonna be like. Looks like another winner for Al.

If you want to know, check Al's MySpace.

Written By: Matthias on 09/05/06 at 7:38 am

I'm shocked by the lack of a more older song, I mean even in Poodle Hat he did a parody of "Piano Man", but oh well... Trapped in the Drive-Thru is going to be good

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/05/06 at 10:28 am

:\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

WHAT, no Britney Spears parody??!!! Oh, come on, Al, we've been waiting for seven freakin' years!

It's rather difficult to parody someone who has become a parody of themselves.  ;)

Written By: Josh2 on 09/05/06 at 10:46 am

Jeez people need to keep up wit the times.

You're Pitiful isnt on there because Blunts promotors wouldnt allow it so it is available at weirdal.com

Don't download this song has been out FOR AGESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS........at http://www.dontdownloadthissong.com/ (legal)

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/06/06 at 7:54 am

I don't think Al has ever gotten this much pre-release hububb (whether or not unwittingly).

Written By: DarkJon64 on 09/06/06 at 3:39 pm

I'm not likin' this.

What happened to his parody-ing of classic, memorable songs? I barely know any of the originals listed there.

I've only heard 3 songs so far...

"You're Pitiful" was okay for a "left out" song, but "Don't Download This Song" and "White and Nerdy" just sounded horrible. Like bad demo versions. The sound quality seems like it was done with only the bare essentials, unlike most of his past stuff.

DDTS was okay but slow-paced and barely scraped by using leftovers found in the bottom of the dried out well of parodies and satirical works of the same theme done by many, many people before this, amateurs and not.

"White and Nerdy" is nothing but a sub-par remake of "It's all about the Pentiums" to the tune of a different rap song, not to mention shares a strikingly similar theme to both "You're Pitiful" and "Don't Download..."

I think I'm going to have to "Don't download the entire album" this time around.

Written By: Josh2 on 09/06/06 at 4:15 pm

I don';t think you even listned to the songs

Written By: Jack Wilson on 09/06/06 at 6:04 pm

I'm shocked by the lack of a more older song, I mean even in Poodle Hat he did a parody of "Piano Man", but oh well... Trapped in the Drive-Thru is going to be good
Ditto! Although Dont Downlaod THis Song is a sorta a parody of We Are the World.

LOL yes that should rule.

Written By: weirdojace on 09/06/06 at 7:33 pm

DTTS is a style parody of charity songs and it sounds a LOT like "We Are the World." In fact, it's been mistaken for a true parody by many people. That can be your older song.

More stuff: "Pancreas" is a style parody of The Beach Boys. Some info on its video (animated by Jim Blashfield) is on http://www.blashfieldstudio.com/

Also, I've also heard White & Nerdy and I think it's brilliant. For Al to be able to write that kind of stuff is amazing. I also heard Canadian Idiot. It's kinda obvious, but it works well and it's pretty funny.

Also, I'm glad that You're Pitiful was scrapped and is no longer the lead parody (cause that's what it was gonna be.) I thought it was sort of weak and wasn't good enough to be the lead single. White & Nerdy is SO much better.

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/07/06 at 7:56 am

I'm not likin' this.

What happened to his parody-ing of classic, memorable songs? I barely know any of the originals listed there.

I've only heard 3 songs so far...

"You're Pitiful" was okay for a "left out" song, but "Don't Download This Song" and "White and Nerdy" just sounded horrible. Like bad demo versions. The sound quality seems like it was done with only the bare essentials, unlike most of his past stuff.

DDTS was okay but slow-paced and barely scraped by using leftovers found in the bottom of the dried out well of parodies and satirical works of the same theme done by many, many people before this, amateurs and not....

I think I'm going to have to "Don't download the entire album" this time around.

I have the same problem about knowing the original songs, but I blame that both on my disregard of current pop music...and the fact there's very little pop music nowadays that has the cultural impact like Madonna and Michael Jackson did in the '80s. (This would also explain why Al doesn't even have a video of the parodies available for promoing). Hell, I had to google Taylor Hicks to find out who the heck he is!

I have to take you to issue about judging this album on listening to 3 downloads alone (ironically, of course, considering the last track "Don't Download This Song"!). Another reason that artists decry downloading of their material before official release besides the financial matters is because the pirated material is often NOT the intended original mix. The items you heard could very well be scratch demos. And woe to those who think that an mp3 is supposed to be the best sound quality that money can buy. ::)

"White and Nerdy" is nothing but a sub-par remake of "It's all about the Pentiums" to the tune of a different rap song, not to mention shares a strikingly similar theme to both "You're Pitiful" and "Don't Download..."
I haven't heard "White & Nerdy" yet, but I don't see how you can equate this in any fashion with "Pentiums", "YP" or "DDTS". ???

Written By: DarkJon64 on 09/07/06 at 1:16 pm

I'm sure the actual CD will be worth buying and will sound just as professional as his other albums. I'll still buy it, just can't get my hopes up as much as I have with previous albums.

I haven't heard "White & Nerdy" yet, but I don't see how you can equate this in any fashion with "Pentiums", "YP" or "DDTS"

He pretty much goes off about how "white and nerdy" he is, sort of in a gangster-style much like "Pentiums". Throws in a lot of stuff about how he knows javascript, some internet lingo and how awesome he is at minesweeper, etc. I'd equate it to "You're Pitiful" because of the star trek references and how the song is generally about being a loser or a nerd, etc. "DDTS" just because it's about the internet... again. But my beef with that one is more because there have been SO many "internet piracy" works, on shows like South Park, MP3's of parodies dating all the way back to when the original Napster was shut down ("Internet Sandman" was the name of the one I'm thinking of). It's good for what it is, but the whole concept just feels SO old. Not to mention the staple Metallica reference when talking about the RIAA.

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/07/06 at 5:06 pm

If that is the case, I am fearing he is directing his music at his core base of nerd fans, rather than all comedy listeners.  :o  That's not what I want from Al. (can you believe I would worry about such a thing?  ???  :D)

Written By: ThaConqueror on 09/08/06 at 1:45 am

I've actually listened to "White And Nerdy" (available for streaming here) and DDTS. They're both worthy of Al. I can't draw a similiarity between WAN and IAATP. The latter was about Al saying he was better than someone else at nerdy stuff. WAN is about Al saying he's not good enough for this group because he's so nerdy. Besides, IAATP was centred on computer stuff. WAN is about al things nerdy, like chess clubs and mowing etc. I couldn't understand most of it because it was too fast.

DDTS was classic. A worthy song to be an album finale, and it's just so silly. As a side note, I suppose most of you would know about MC Lars' song called "Download This Song", which has the opposite meaning to Al's DDTS. Funnily, Lars met up with Al and Al brought up the subject, and they had a good laugh about it (at least according to Lars' MySpace).

I am in full anticipation of this album to get shipped to me at the September!

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/08/06 at 9:50 am

It's totally awesome that Chamillionaire has the good humor to stream "W&N" on his OWN myspace page. 8)

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/08/06 at 11:57 am

It's totally awesome that Chamillionaire has the good humor to stream "W&N" on his OWN myspace page. 8)

Most artists think they've made it when they've been parodied, and Al has only done a handful of rap/hip hop pieces over the years, so it's a real select group.

I've never heard the original myself, guess I have to track it down.

Written By: Matthias on 09/08/06 at 1:21 pm

I want to listen to the song, but then I want the anticpation of waiting for the CD... Grrrrr.... Should I listen to it?! Damn Myspace and it's temptations!

Written By: Matthias on 09/08/06 at 5:38 pm

And even if Al did two rap songs about being a geek, that's nothing compared to all his songs 80's songs about eating!

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/12/06 at 1:16 am

...and my parents barely knew any of the originals of "In 3-D" other than "Beat It".  Just because I don't recognize all of the originals, doesn't diminsh Weird Al's ability as a songwriter.  You can't listen to Podle Hat's "Hardware Store" and not laugh.  Ditto White and Nerdy.  He gets the tech one-liners *right*, and that makes it funnier.  When was the last time you heard someone successfuly (and as a geek, I might add correctly making references to MIT, D&D, MC Escher, ST:TNG (Earl Grey), Stephen Hawking, Myspace, mathatics (pi), Pascal, vector calculus, hardware hacking (soldering gun), Javsacript, Klingon as a spoken language, the Segway, and to do it all in the first 90 seconds of his album?  Don't even get me started on the Wikipedia reference.

And then he proceeds to get everything as correct for the med-school geeks in "My Pancreas" as he did with "White and Nerdy" and pop-geek-culture.  Danged if I know how he does it, but he does it.  (And if you're not a rap fan, no problem.  He does it in Beach Boys style!)

Long as we're on the subject, I'm working on some lyrics here. 

Track xx:  (Like you can't guess!)

Third part of a round.  What's the one line I'm missing?
"Lipase, amylase and trypsin!  They gonna go ?????"

Track yy:  (Vi rus al ert)

"If you should get any mail with the subject "Stinky Cheese",
??
taking no chances, under no circumstances,
Should you open it or else it will..."

Track zz:  (Do I cr eep you out?)

...what's the background vocal between "pitstains on your blouse" and "Know exactly where you live now"?

Looking for a few educated guesses. Post publicly if ya got good ideas on those bits.

Yeah, SOL *cough*will be*cough* a little more rap-centric than I'd prefer.  But I've got the CD/DVD combo on pre-order, and I've got no regrets.  It's good.  The parody of RATM's Bombtrack is freakin' killer. And the only thing I can say to Weasel Stomping Day is that... well, you're just gonna have to listen to it.

Go ahead and download that song, but don't waste your time downloading the album.  Buy it and rip it yourself. And have the DVD all to yourself :)

(Edit: Yep, subsequent poster was right. Freudian slip on WST.  It's WSD.  But I stand by my RATM parody comment -- at least for the chorus.  Let's just leave it at that for the next week or two... heh.)

Written By: ThaConqueror on 09/12/06 at 1:53 am

Yeah, SOL *cough*will be*cough* a little more rap-centric than I'd prefer.  But I've got the CD/DVD combo on pre-order, and I've got no regrets.  It's good.  The parody of RATM's Bombtrack is freakin' killer. And the only thing I can say to Weasel Stomping Time is that... well, you're just gonna have to listen to it.

It's Weasel Stomping Day, not Time. And there is no Rage Against The Machine parody. There's parodies of Chamillionare, Green Day, Usher, Taylor Hicks and R. Kelly, but no RATM. That was 'I'll Sue Ya', which is a style parody of RATM (or so says Wikipedia).

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/12/06 at 10:37 am

Hm..a Beach Boys Styling Parody (already done with "Trigger Happy"--not one of my faves) and RATM Styling Parody (not one of my fave bands)? This seems like a reach. :-\\

Written By: Matthias on 09/12/06 at 11:23 am

Doesn't Al do any orginal, orginals anymore?

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/12/06 at 12:00 pm

Doesn't Al do any orginal, orginals anymore?

IMHO, most of his original originals were quite sucky (check his self-titled first album to see what I mean).

I thought the style parodies of Poodle Hat were better than the actual parodies!

Written By: weirdojace on 09/12/06 at 4:54 pm

Hm..a Beach Boys Styling Parody (already done with "Trigger Happy"--not one of my faves) and RATM Styling Parody (not one of my fave bands)? This seems like a reach. :-\\

Pancreas isn't in THAT Beach Boys style. It's done more in the style of songs like "Wouldn't It Be Nice."

I'm by no means a RATM fan either, but I like I'll Sue Ya. You don't HAVE to be a fan of the artist to like the parody or style parody.

Oh and to the person who asked if Al did original originals--"Hardware Store" on Poodle Hat was one. Also, if "Virus Alert" on this CD is a style parody, I can't figure out what it is.

Seriously people, this is one of Al's best albums ever. WAY better than Poodle Hat. Lots of clever songs, and I laughed out loud at quite a few (which is rare for me). Even if you didn't like Poodle Hat, I highly recommend you give this album a chance.

Written By: Matthias on 09/12/06 at 6:04 pm

Nah, it said on Wikipedia.org that "Hardware Store" was a style-parody of "Life is a Rock (But the radio rolled me)"

Written By: weirdojace on 09/12/06 at 6:16 pm

Wikipedia = not reliable.

"I guess

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/14/06 at 12:22 pm

Nah, it said on Wikipedia.org that "Hardware Store" was a style-parody of "Life is a Rock (But the radio rolled me)"

Sounds nothing like that. Wiki could just as easily have said "The End of the World As We Know It", too.

Written By: Matthias on 09/14/06 at 12:40 pm

Don't shoot the messanger...

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/15/06 at 10:46 am

Don't shoot the messanger...

That gun was not aimed at anyone in particular.  :)

Written By: Matthias on 09/15/06 at 12:08 pm

As long it was only full of blanks, I'm okay  ;D

Subject: And the thread goes off the deep end.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/15/06 at 10:19 pm

As long it was only full of blanks, I'm okay  ;D

Saw a Looney Tunes cartoon by the immortal Leon Schlesigner,
Then a guy on the board told me not to shoot the messenger,
Fulla blanks, standin' perpendicular,
Didn't aim at anyone in particular,

But I'm trigger happy!  Trigger happy every day!

- And the thread goes Off The Deep End. 

Subject: Re: And the thread goes off the deep end.

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/20/06 at 12:07 pm

Saw a Looney Tunes cartoon by the immortal Leon Schlesigner,
Then a guy on the board told me not to shoot the messenger,
Fulla blanks, standin' perpendicular,
Didn't aim at anyone in particular,

But I'm trigger happy!  Trigger happy every day!

- And the thread goes Off The Deep End. 

I like your lines better than Al's for that one!  ;D

Subject: Re: And the thread goes off the deep end.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/21/06 at 10:46 pm

I like your lines better than Al's for that one!  ;D

Thanks - especially considering how few words rhyme with "Schlesinger"! :)

Check for new replies or respond here...