inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Straight Outta Lynnwood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: STG on 09/25/06 at 6:18 am

OH MY FRIGGIN' GOD it is the funniest CD I've heard in a while. Confessions pt. 3 is so funny, so is Weasel Stompin' Day. What the hell, it's all good. The weakest is probably "Canadian Idiot" but it's still funny.

Subject: Re: Straight Outta Lynnwood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/25/06 at 7:31 am

Re: "Canadian Idiot"...I'm gong to reserve my judgment on that tune after I read the FIVE ALREADY WRITTEN ON AMIRIGHT! Wonder if Al realized the situation and had to adjust his words to avoid accusations of plagiarism?  ???

Getting the album tomorrow, and looking forward to it!!! 8)

Written By: STG on 09/25/06 at 7:57 am

I'm at least posting the lyrics to "Confessions Pt. 3" that is my favorite of the CD. You will enjoy it, especially "Weasel Stompin' Day"

Written By: YWN on 09/25/06 at 6:19 pm

I thought it wouldn't be released until tomorrow...?

Written By: weirdojace on 09/25/06 at 9:14 pm

It was leaked into the internet about 3 weeks ago.

That, and a lot of people bought it early because some CD stores sell stuff on the Friday before the release date.

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/25/06 at 11:17 pm

I can't wait... "Stuck in the Drive-Thru" sounds exciting!

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/28/06 at 8:52 am

I haven't laughed at Weird Al's albums as much as I have with this one...and I have been following him since 1982. Supremely funny album. Five stars. *****

Written By: tmayfield on 09/28/06 at 9:01 am

I haven't laughed at Weird Al's albums as much as I have with this one...and I have been following him since 1982. Supremely funny album. Five stars. *****

That is quite strange... I think Poodle Hat album is at least twice as good as Straight Outta Lynwood.  Maybe Weird Al's 30 year high school reunion was distracting him.

Written By: Matthias on 09/28/06 at 9:06 pm

I loved this one too, Agri.... Except for the Pancreas song, that wasn't one of my favorites... But hearing Weird Al do a Metal song was just spectacular!!!!

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 09/28/06 at 11:41 pm

White and Nerdy: aced it.

Pancreas song: OK.

Canadian Idiot Good.

I'll Sue Ya: aced it... (The topic, that is. I only guessed that it was a RATM parody from listening, I DKTOL.)

Polkarama: mediocre. Kind of a heard-one,-heard-'em-all.

Virus Alert: OK.

Confessions Part III: hilarious.

Weasel Stomping dDy: I watched And Now For Something Completely Different about a minute before listening to the new Weird Al album, so would have found the song far funnier if I hadn't already laughed myself stupid at that mouse guy with the mallets.

Close But No Cigar... still undecided. Am I missing something here?

Do I Creep You Out: Good. Better than Pancreas, at least.

Trapped In The Drive Thru was hilarious... though I can see in future me getting sick of the same tune over and over as compared to Genius In France where he switches it up every two minutes or so.

Don't Download This Song: Good. Heard it a dozen times already, though.

You're Pitiful: Good.

Written By: Matthias on 09/29/06 at 12:01 am

White and Nerdy: aced it.

Pancreas song: OK.

Canadian Idiot Good.

I'll Sue Ya: aced it... (The topic, that is. I only guessed that it was a RATM parody from listening, I DKTOL.)

Polkarama: mediocre. Kind of a heard-one,-heard-'em-all.

Virus Alert: OK.

Confessions Part III: hilarious.

Weasel Stomping dDy: I watched And Now For Something Completely Different about a minute before listening to the new Weird Al album, so would have found the song far funnier if I hadn't already laughed myself stupid at that mouse guy with the mallets.

Close But No Cigar... still undecided. Am I missing something here?

Do I Creep You Out: Good. Better than Pancreas, at least.

Trapped In The Drive Thru was hilarious... though I can see in future me getting sick of the same tune over and over as compared to Genius In France where he switches it up every two minutes or so.

Don't Download This Song: Good. Heard it a dozen times already, though.

You're Pitiful: Good.

I liked Virus Alert, it had the markings of a traditional Weird Al Song, his kind of zany humor...
And yeah, he uses the same Polka-Beat for all of his polkas, but I loved what he did with Speed of Sound, that was good

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/29/06 at 8:02 am

"Pancreas" is a magnificent pastiche of the Brian Wilson-"Smile" era style of music, but yeah, not quite a laugh-getter.

"Trapped In the Drive-Thru" may possibly be the greatest song parody ever recorded.

I didn't enjoy the polka as much as I usually do, most likely because I never heard half of the songs used.

The videos on the DVD really add something to all of the originals.

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/29/06 at 5:48 pm

Ironically, Polkarama has the most song in a medley that I knew (All except two), but I don't like it nearly as much as his others.

Written By: tmayfield on 09/29/06 at 11:28 pm

"Trapped In the Drive-Thru" may possibly be the greatest song parody ever recorded.

That's funny. Cause to me, "Trapped In the Drive-Thru" may possibly be the most irritating song parody ever recorded.

Must just be a difference in taste.

On the Poodle Hat CD:

Couch Potato - Funtastic
Hardware Store - Funtastic
Trash Day - OK
Party at the Leper Colony - Funtastic
Angry White Boy Polka - not OK
Wanna B Ur Lovr - not OK
A Complicated Song - Funtastic
Why Does This Always Happen To Me - Funtastic
Ode to a Superhero - Funtastic
Bob - Super Funtastic
Ebay - Super Funtastic
Genius in France - Funtastic

On the Straight Outta Lynwood CD:

White and Nerdy - Funtastic
Pancreas song - OK
Canadian Idiot - Funtastic
I'll Sue Ya - OK
Polkarama - OK
Virus Alert - Funtastic
Confessions Part III - not OK
Weasel Stomping Day - not OK
Close But No Cigar - OK
Do I Creep You Out - OK
Trapped In The Drive Thru - not OK
Don't Download This Song - Funtastic
You're Pitiful - OK

Written By: Matthias on 09/29/06 at 11:38 pm

Since the rest of you are doing this type of critique type thingy, I guess I will too....

-White & Nerdy: Straight up funny, G
-Pancreas: Not my favorite
-Canadian Idiot: Funny, Eh
-I'll Sue Ya: Weird Al + Metal Song = SHWEET!!!
-Polkarama: More song that I know, but I never really like the Polkas
-Virus Alert: Classic Weird Al Greatness
-Confessions Part III: I must confess that this song had me in tears of laughter
-Weasel Stomping Day: Don't care for the Sound Effects
-Close But No Cigar: Funny!!!
-Do I Creep You Out: Also Funny!!!
-Trapped in the Drive-Thru: Hillariously Long, and Pointless!!!
-Don't Download This Song: So funny it should be illegal
-You're Pitiful: Pretty Darn Funny

So in total there was only 2 I didn't really care for, but 10 I loved
On Poodle Hat Lemme See....

Written By: YWN on 09/29/06 at 11:52 pm

Ironically, Polkarama has the most song in a medley that I knew (All except two), but I don't like it nearly as much as his others.

Not really ironic, considering you're only fifteen. 

It's probably the same for me, with Angry White Boy Polka being next in line.  Some pretty good songs where in that polka, like "Get Free," "Chop Suey," "Fell In Love With A Girl," and "Last Nite".

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/03/06 at 5:56 pm

That's funny. Cause to me, "Trapped In the Drive-Thru" may possibly be the most irritating song parody ever recorded.

Must just be a difference in taste.

It's irritating-ness (???) is part of what makes it so hilarious, since the OS IS so bad!. Couple that with the everyday ordinary lifestyle issues (I myself have had many of the "problems" Al and his wife encountered in the song!), the "Delivered" pun, the comedy of frustration, the sincerity of the singing despite its ridiculous themes, etc. Allan Sherman, the god to Weird Al's Jesus, must be terribly proud of "Trapped".

Written By: Jack Wilson on 10/07/06 at 7:22 pm

Just got it and listened to it today,its AWEASOME

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/16/06 at 1:21 pm

I understand that You're Pitiful has not been released, but is it still musch played in the USA?

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/16/06 at 3:23 pm

I understand that You're Pitiful has not been released, but is it still musch played in the USA?

It probably, if at all, gets very little airplay in the US, other than on the Dr. Demento radio show.

If you didn't know, James Blunt's record company refused to let Al release the song (even though it had Blunt's full approval), so Al simply released the song on mp3 for anyone to download for free. See weirdal.com for links to whichever web site you would like to get it at.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/16/06 at 3:51 pm

It probably, if at all, gets very little airplay in the US, other than on the Dr. Demento radio show.

If you didn't know, James Blunt's record company refused to let Al release the song (even though it had Blunt's full approval), so Al simply released the song on mp3 for anyone to download for free. See weirdal.com for links to whichever web site you would like to get it at.
I heard about the refusal after giving approval, just needed to know more.

Written By: richyrich on 10/28/06 at 7:11 pm

They made Weasle Stompin Day especially for Robot Chicken (check it out at www.AdultSwim.com ).
I get all my necessities of music from LimeWire, I'll get confession series then... My favorite Al yankovich song is Canadian Idiot so far.

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/30/06 at 8:21 am

My favorite Al yankovich song...

My code name is 0027, licensed to kill anyone who spells Al's last name wrong.... ;)

Written By: weirdojace on 10/30/06 at 4:41 pm

I've heard "You're Pitiful" getting some airplay on shows where Al gets interviewed. And they often make the mistake of saying the song is on the album...

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/30/06 at 10:30 pm

My code name is 0027, licensed to kill anyone who spells Al's last name wrong.... ;)

And to anyone who says his favorite song by him is something like "Canadian Idiot"

Written By: nally on 10/30/06 at 10:33 pm

I haven't heard anything from Al's latest album as of yet. :-\\

Written By: The Charnstar on 10/31/06 at 12:22 am

Not really ironic, considering you're only fifteen. 

It's probably the same for me, with Angry White Boy Polka being next in line.  Some pretty good songs where in that polka, like "Get Free," "Chop Suey," "Fell In Love With A Girl," and "Last Nite".

I'm only fifteen, I didn't know any songs of the last two polkas LOL! I guess I should get with the times :-[, but the 70s and 80s were so great  :) but I missed them :\'(

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/31/06 at 7:56 am

I'm only fifteen, I didn't know any songs of the last two polkas LOL! I guess I should get with the times :-[, but the 70s and 80s were so great  :) but I missed them :\'(

Oh don't fret on that. (You remind me of me when *I* was 15!) It just proves you are a little more discriminating in your music tastes.  8) I didn't know many of the songs Al parodied or polka'd on this album before I bought it...thank goodness for Youtube and other 'net sources!

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/31/06 at 5:15 pm

I'm 15, and know almost all of them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/06 at 1:08 am

I haven't heard anything from Al's latest album as of yet. :-\\
Get it, you'll love it!

Written By: nally on 11/01/06 at 5:03 pm

I guess this is the track listing:

On the Straight Outta Lynwood CD:

White and Nerdy - Funtastic
Pancreas song - OK
Canadian Idiot - Funtastic
I'll Sue Ya - OK
Polkarama - OK
Virus Alert - Funtastic
Confessions Part III - not OK
Weasel Stomping Day - not OK
Close But No Cigar - OK
Do I Creep You Out - OK
Trapped In The Drive Thru - not OK
Don't Download This Song - Funtastic
You're Pitiful - OK

Get it, you'll love it!

I know he parodied James Blunt's "You're Beautiful"; I'm not sure about the other tracks. I can't always tell which are parodies and which are originals, given the song titles. Heck, for some of the parodies, I DKTOS.

Written By: agrimorfee on 11/01/06 at 5:36 pm

Just read the liner notes for the composer credits.

You should know that on this particular album, you don't have to have known the OS to appreciate the humor in each song...nor do you need to recognize the originals' "style parody", either. This is one funny album, all around.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/01/06 at 7:43 pm

I guess this is the track listing:I know he parodied James Blunt's "You're Beautiful"; I'm not sure about the other tracks. I can't always tell which are parodies and which are originals, given the song titles. Heck, for some of the parodies, I DKTOS.

You're Pitiful is not on the album.

This is my least favorite album, but I love "Trapped in a Drive Thru"

Written By: nally on 11/01/06 at 10:48 pm

You should know that on this particular album, you don't have to have known the OS to appreciate the humor in each song...nor do you need to recognize the originals' "style parody", either.

I know...but it's more fun when you do know the OS (in a way), especially for me; then I can anticipate what the parody will sound like. But you're right, you can appreciate the humor regardless. I actually heard many of Weird Al's parodies before I ever even heard the corresponding OSes for the first time (such as "Taco Grande", "Here's Johnny!", "Yoda", and "Cavity Search").

This is one funny album, all around.

I believe ya.

Written By: nally on 11/01/06 at 10:49 pm

You're Pitiful is not on the album.

Really?? I thought it might've been.

I guess I'll have to go to his official site, weirdal.com, and see if I can find info.

Written By: agrimorfee on 11/02/06 at 11:47 am

I actually heard many of Weird Al's parodies before I ever even heard the corresponding OSes for the first time (such as "Taco Grande", "Here's Johnny!", "Yoda", and "Cavity Search").
I believe ya.

I had never heard "Waterfalls" ("Phony Calls"), or "Misery"("Syndicated Inc.") beforehand, either.

Written By: nally on 11/02/06 at 11:50 am

I had never heard "Waterfalls" ("Phony Calls"), or "Misery"("Syndicated Inc.") beforehand, either.

Interesting. ;)

I knew both those (original) songs when they were popular. By the way, do you have a copy of Bad Hair Day as well?

Written By: agrimorfee on 11/02/06 at 12:05 pm

But of course! It is one of Al's best (it was the first album in his canon that I felt didn't contain a dud song)

Written By: nally on 11/02/06 at 4:18 pm

But of course! It is one of Al's best (it was the first album in his canon that I felt didn't contain a dud song)

Indeed it is! O0

I have three of his studio albums and two compilations.

Check for new replies or respond here...