inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A Little Help From My Friends

Written By: Arwen on 09/28/06 at 9:58 am

Hey All...

I was recently asked to write a parody that will be performed for Homecoming Week at my Alma Mater, the University of Wyoming.  (How word got around that I'd be the one to ask is beyond me.)  Anyway...having written the parody, I thought my job was done...but alas...they've now insisted that I join in on the performance, and to pretty much take the lead on the whole thing.  Of course I never say no to anyone...(my worst character flaw, and the answer to the endless question of why I never have any free time)...so I agreed to do it.

Anyway...I need to find a burnable (and I'm willing to pay for it) download of the music for "Jambalaya (On The Bayou)" pretty much ASAP.  I tried to have them do it with live accompaniment, but it fell apart.  When I had the group singing with a CD of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band performing the song, however, they did very well.  So...I told them I knew some people that might be able to help me find a backing track on CD. 

As a mostly "just in writing" parodist, I don't have the first clue where to find these types of things.  In the past, when I've written things that were going to be performed/recorded, I've just been asked to provide lyrics, and then the performer has either played the music live, or has found their own backing track. 

I'm at my wit's end...but I know that you all can give me some advice that will make it all better... :-*

Subject: Re: A Little Help From My Friends

Written By: karen on 09/28/06 at 10:05 am

Arwen

This may not be quite what you had in mind but it occurred to me that you might be able to buy a Karaoke CD with this track.  So I did a quick search and found this US site.

http://www.karaoke.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Karaoke.woa/35/wo/BySa28hCssCm59XVPuKOIM/2.KaraokeTemplate.39.KaraokeTemplateProductDetail.20.0

Hope that helps

Written By: Rick Cormier on 09/28/06 at 3:02 pm

Arwen, do you want the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band version or, the Credence Clearwater Revival version (or, does it matter?)?

I'm sure I can get you something at no charge but, I'm at work right now and can't do it here.

I can send you an Mp3 file that you can burn to a CD (as long as you have a CD burner, that is).

If I got it to you by tomorrow night, would that work?

Written By: Arwen on 09/28/06 at 3:23 pm

Arwen, do you want the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band version or, the Credence Clearwater Revival version (or, does it matter?)?

I'm sure I can get you something at no charge but, I'm at work right now and can't do it here.

I can send you an Mp3 file that you can burn to a CD (as long as you have a CD burner, that is).

If I got it to you by tomorrow night, would that work?

Rick, you are my hero of heroes! 

I actually played both the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band AND the CCR versions (not to mention Karen Carpenter!) for the group that'll be performing the song...and they prefered the Nitty Gritty one.  But, really, I'll take what I can get at this point.

And something by tomorrow night is fabulous...seriously...you're the BEST!! :-* :-* :-*

Written By: Rick Cormier on 09/28/06 at 3:50 pm

Rick, you are my hero of heroes! 

I actually played both the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band AND the CCR versions (not to mention Karen Carpenter!) for the group that'll be performing the song...and they prefered the Nitty Gritty one.  But, really, I'll take what I can get at this point.

And something by tomorrow night is fabulous...seriously...you're the BEST!! :-* :-* :-*
PM me with your email address and I'll send it there by tomorrow night.

Check for new replies or respond here...