inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who's the better parodist singer

Written By: The Charnstar on 09/29/06 at 2:52 am

These are just a few of some internet singers I know of, and I was wondering who people think are better. Leave comment's if you want

Subject: Re: Who's the better parodist musician

Written By: Red Ant on 09/29/06 at 5:15 am

These are just a few of some internet singers I know of, and I was wondering who people think are better. Leave comment's if you want

Better, in this poll, is a highly subjective term. Recording equipment, genres, and skill level/experience vary widely, so there really isn't a valid comparison between the authors/musicians you list.

I've enjoyed all the recordings I've heard from these authors.

Now, if all 6 of these authors/musicians happened to record a parody of the same song, then perhaps I could give you a more definitive answer. Since that is highly unlikely, and too small a sample from which to draw a conclusion as to who is "better", the point is moot.

I happen to think Alice in Chains was a better band than Nirvana, even though I like a lot of Nirvana's music. Some would agree, some would disagree, and some would say both bands sucked (those that have no taste, heh heh...). It doesn't really matter though, I have numerous CDs from both bands, and listen to them about equally.

I guess the point is you are trying to compare apples to oranges. Even though they smell, look, and taste different, it doesn't mean someone won't like them both.

Written By: The Charnstar on 09/29/06 at 5:34 am

Wise words from Red Ant there, but I just thought that cause I loved all these artists but I found Robert Lund the most enjoyable. I was just wondering who else thought this against the numerous parodists I happen to love and listen to all the time

Written By: Rick Cormier on 09/29/06 at 5:46 am

Wise words from Red Ant there, but I just thought that cause I loved all these artists but I found Robert Lund the most enjoyable. I was just wondering who else thought this against the numerous parodists I happen to love and listen to all the time
I hope you don't mind if I chime in here. While I think Robert Lund is an excellent vocalist (my favorite vocalist on this list as a matter of fact), I'm not sure if he plays the instruments or, uses a band contracted by the radio station he works for. I'm pretty sure he is not a parodist though. His best stuff is written by some genius guy called Spaff.Com. Your poll asks who is the best parodist musician so, his name doesn't belong on the list...unless I'm wrong and he does write and play. Perhaps that genius guy called Spaff.Com can clarify.

I'll do WHATEVER it takes to eliminate competition. Escpecially when they're better than I. MWAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Subject: Re: Who's the better parodist singer

Written By: The Charnstar on 09/29/06 at 6:21 am

LOL! That was smart Rick... too Smart.... So maybe I should call it... Who's the better parodist singer? or Parodist vocalist? CHANGED IT SHALL BE! and Now I see that Changed it can't be.. DAmn! YOU WIN O CORMIER ONE!... not really.. but still

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/29/06 at 7:54 am

The answer to this question is Weird Al, of course.  :D

Written By: weirdojace on 09/29/06 at 3:02 pm

Steve Goodie! He's amazing. He plays every instrument himself and his parodies are really clever. Bob Ricci is cool too... and I like Dino-Mike.

Written By: Spaff.com on 09/30/06 at 12:09 pm

Being the self-obsessed, ego-driven individual I am, I naturally am partial to the vocal stylings of Rick Cormier and Robert Lund. Because they have recorded my stuff.

While I think Robert Lund is an excellent vocalist (my favorite vocalist on this list as a matter of fact), I'm not sure if he plays the instruments or, uses a band contracted by the radio station he works for.

He typically plays the guitar parts then uses keyboards for everything else.

I'm pretty sure he is not a parodist though.
...unless I'm wrong and he does write and play.

Oh, yes. In his many years on Utah radio, he has both written and performed hundreds (thousands?) of song parodies.

While the two Robert Lund CDs I have contributed to (Elves Gone Wild! and Workin' the Glory) have done well by DIY standards (we just did a second printing of Workin' the Glory, in fact), neither can compare to the success of the (pre-Spaff) topical CDs he released during the Lewinsky scandal (e.g., Bill Clinton's Biggest Hits...On Women) and the Stockton-to-Malone glory days (e.g., Totally Jazzed).

But our next CD, in the words of Chris Bodily, IS GONNA BE HUGE.

Thanks for the kind words.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Rick Cormier on 09/30/06 at 12:16 pm

Being the self-obsessed, ego-driven individual I am, I naturally am partial to the vocal stylings of Rick Cormier and Robert Lund. Because they have recorded my stuff.

He typically plays the guitar parts then uses keyboards for everything else.

Oh, yes. In his many years on Utah radio, he has both written and performed hundreds (thousands?) of song parodies.

While the two Robert Lund CDs I have contributed to (Elves Gone Wild! and Workin' the Glory) have done well by DIY standards (we just did a second printing of Workin' the Glory, in fact), neither can compare to the success of the (pre-Spaff) topical CDs he released during the Lewinsky scandal (e.g., Bill Clinton's Biggest Hits...On Women) and the Stockton-to-Malone glory days (e.g., Totally Jazzed).

But our next CD, in the words of Chris Bodily, IS GONNA BE HUGE.

Thanks for the kind words.

xoxox
Spaff
Then, his name definitely belongs on the original list and, he gets my vote. Robert, if you happen to read this, my apologies that, through my own ignorance, I doubted you. Personally, I would rather listen to Lund and Spaff than WAY most of the time.

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/03/06 at 9:19 am

Probably the best parody rapper is The Great Lukeski...

http://www.lukeski.com/

Written By: Matthias on 10/03/06 at 10:42 am

Probably the best parody rapper is The Great Lukeski...

http://www.lukeski.com/

Just watched the music video, that has to be the best thing that I have ever heard in like ever. I hate to say this, but he's better than Weird Al

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/03/06 at 2:49 pm

Lukeski is VERY funny, but the bad thing about him is that he exclusively does "fan-boy" humor (science fiction, D&D, mangas, cartoons), so his themes are very insular. If you don't follow the scene, it's less likely that you can get the jokes.

....While Weird Al sings about being a nerd in "White & Nerdy", Lukeski IS that nerd.  :D

Written By: weirdojace on 10/03/06 at 4:21 pm

I'm probably gonna get a lot of crap for this but...

I think Luke Ski is one of the worst. I have an undying love for comedy music (I have 100+ CD's of it in my collection), but for some reason I simply cannot stand Luke's music. Personally, I don't think he has a lot of talent, in his writing (A lot of times his songs don't make sense, you can tell it's just a parody for the sake of being a parody, for example "Baby Got Brak" or "The Spongy Dance." Do the phrases "Baby's got brak!" or "Do the Spongy Sponge!" mean anything? No. There's no real inspiration there. That, and his parodies just don't really tend to be funny at all) or in his vocals, a lot of times he's way off key. (He recently got better at singing, if you listen to I Love You TiVo and You Don't Know Jack, but still his falsetto in "TiVo" makes me cringe). That might be why he tends to stick to rap songs.

Luke Ski also tries to make himself out to be one of the most professional comedy artists out there, but the truth of the matter is he's not. A lot of his early songs used MIDI files or karaoke tracks because he can't play instruments. I have respect for comedy artists like Steve Goodie and Robert Lund who play their own instruments on their parodies. It wasn't until a few years ago that Luke even bothered to ask people to make instrumentals for him. (He tried asking Bob Ricci and got turned down, by the way.) He also tries too hard at promoting himself to a very small community (Dr. Demento) and when Dr. Demento retires, he won't have anywhere to go.

And just so you guys know, I'm not trying to bash on Luke at all. I know people like his music, and that's fine... I just don't. I love comedy music and collect CD's of this stuff all the time (Weird Al, The Arrogant Worms, Bob Ricci, Steve Goodie, Lemon Demon, Throwing Toasters, you name it--I probably have it). But a Luke Ski CD will probably never find its place onto one of my shelves.

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/05/06 at 2:57 pm

Opinion entitlement is hereby honored. 8)

Lukeski is good at what he does for who he does it for--his niche market of sci-fi geekiness, where Weird Al tries to be more of a general humorist. The tunes that Dr. Demento has given the most play for, are IMHO, on the same level of Weird Al (yeah, even though he doesn't play instruments). I wish I had as much tech and recording savvy, then I would have a few hits on the Funny 5, too.

Written By: weirdojace on 10/05/06 at 6:51 pm

Yeah, Luke's music also caters to a crowd that I'm not in... I'm far from a sci-fi geek so that's another reason I couldn't get into him, aside from the other things I mentioned.

Check for new replies or respond here...