inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How could I get more votes/write better parodies? ( like I havent lately,cause I

Written By: Jack Wilson on 10/02/06 at 6:50 pm

..have)
This may seem silly, but ya know I just need some tips form my fellow parodists here, Ie been here 3 years, over 150 parodies but only 494 votes, Ok wem all not aobut the vote scrappign thign so that is a part of it, but it seems like whenever I submit a parody, the first 555 that goes in there, is mine, I DONT WNAT THAT HAPPENINGm, I mean, Im basically underrated here LOL, I know I ponly posted a few parodies last year, but still, I just wanna know what I could do so that more people check out my stuff. Cause sometiems Ill submit a parody where I'll go like "THIS is gonna get a BUNCH of votes/comments, this is my best yet," and I come back , bam no votes so...isit the titles ofm y songs? The OS'S Im choosing ( I mtalkign about stuff thats not the White Trash Album stuff, Inflatable, Bilyl Ordered a gyro stuff like that )

Subject: Re: How could I get more votes/write better parodies? ( like I havent lately,cau

Written By: Jack Wilson on 10/02/06 at 7:34 pm

No one? :(

Subject: Re: How could I get more votes/write better parodies? ( like I havent lately,cau

Written By: Jack Wilson on 10/02/06 at 8:45 pm

*sigh*

Subject: Re: How could I get more votes/write better parodies? ( like I havent lately,cause I

Written By: Red Ant on 10/02/06 at 10:32 pm

Hey Jack, glad you brought up this thread topic. I wrote an article quite a while ago that should help a bit:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,10527.msg479959.html#msg479959

Every time I think of formalizing it and making it a permanent news article, I change enough to scrap the idea.

I just wanna know what I could do so that more people check out my stuff.

My answer to that is fairly simple: check out other people's stuff more often. On days that I have a parody posted, I check out as many as I have time to. Although I've been absent the past few days from the site, I usually drop in 1-2 times a week on average and comment/vote some, even when I don't have a parody up.

The ABC contests are another great way to get exposure for your older works, especially those that got vote-wiped.

Cause sometiems Ill submit a parody where I'll go like "THIS is gonna get a BUNCH of votes/comments, this is my best yet," and I come back , bam no votes so...isit the titles ofm y songs?

I know you've had some title issues lately, so that could be it. Personally, I work on rhyming the title the best I can to TOS's title, even if the title isn't an actual lyric.

I hope this helps some.

Subject: Re: How could I get more votes/write better parodies? ( like I havent lately,cause I

Written By: Jack Wilson on 10/03/06 at 7:07 am

Hey Jack, glad you brought up this thread topic. I wrote an article quite a while ago that should help a bit:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,10527.msg479959.html#msg479959

Every time I think of formalizing it and making it a permanent news article, I change enough to scrap the idea.

My answer to that is fairly simple: check out other people's stuff more often. On days that I have a parody posted, I check out as many as I have time to. Although I've been absent the past few days from the site, I usually drop in 1-2 times a week on average and comment/vote some, even when I don't have a parody up.

The ABC contests are another great way to get exposure for your older works, especially those that got vote-wiped.

I know you've had some title issues lately, so that could be it. Personally, I work on rhyming the title the best I can to TOS's title, even if the title isn't an actual lyric.

I hope this helps some.
Ive seen that thread before, thanks!

Ok Ill do that! Yeah, i want all my Billy ordred a gyro and Every Film You Make votes back plus all the other ones for the ones no one even read

Yeah, Ill work on that.

If only Uranus part 2 happened when I submitted that one

Written By: Matthias on 10/03/06 at 8:15 am

Oh and other ways you can rack up the votes is by putting yourself out there in Competitions and stuff like that

Written By: Spaff.com on 10/04/06 at 12:52 am

Red Ant's list of pointers is grrrreat. A few more random thoughts:

--QUALITY NOT QUANTITY. I'd rather read one great parody than a hundred good parodies. Anyone can write a good parody. So don't be just anyone; shoot for great. Rather than, say, trying to parody the entire American Idiot album by Halloween, maybe just do (random example here) "Halloween" to "Holiday," but pull out all the stops to make it the best freaking "Holiday" parody anyone has ever seen. Don't just fill in the blanks; make every line count.

--EDIT, REVISE, REPEAT. If your parody has spelling, punctuation, grammar, or line spacing errors, it sends a message to your readers that you're not trying very hard. Maybe get a family member to look it over before you submit it. You want literate readers, and literate readers stumble over mistakes.

--SLEEP ON IT. After you complete a parody, put it aside for a while. Overnight, say. Or even a week. Then you can go back and read it with a more objective perspective and see which lines you're still fond of and which could be improved upon.

In other words, spend way too much time at this. Never be satisfied. Obsess. Heh heh.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: The Charnstar on 10/04/06 at 1:57 am

--QUALITY NOT QUANTITY. I'd rather read one great parody than a hundred good parodies. Anyone can write a good parody. So don't be just anyone; shoot for great. Rather than, say, trying to parody the entire American Idiot album by Halloween, maybe just do (random example here) "Halloween" to "Holiday," but pull out all the stops to make it the best freaking "Holiday" parody anyone has ever seen. Don't just fill in the blanks; make every line count.

--EDIT, REVISE, REPEAT. If your parody has spelling, punctuation, grammar, or line spacing errors, it sends a message to your readers that you're not trying very hard. Maybe get a family member to look it over before you submit it. You want literate readers, and literate readers stumble over mistakes.

--SLEEP ON IT. After you complete a parody, put it aside for a while. Overnight, say. Or even a week. Then you can go back and read it with a more objective perspective and see which lines you're still fond of and which could be improved upon.

In other words, spend way too much time at this. Never be satisfied. Obsess. Heh heh.

xoxox
Spaff

SPAFF GAVE AWAY HIS SECRET TO AWESOMENESS! NOW WE CAN ALL BE AS AWESOME AS SPAFF! MUA HA HA HA! MY PLAN WORKED EVEN THOUGH I DIDN'T HAVE A PLAN AT ALL WHO CARES I KNOW YOUR SECRET SPAFF!

Written By: Jack Wilson on 10/04/06 at 6:47 am

xoxox
Spaff

1. Ol then, Ill try the one , Ill make that like White TRash Album and have everyone do one song from it

2. Ok! Ill do that!

3. Alright!

LOL,thanks Spaff!!!!

BTW any chance you know who Dickie Goodman is?

Written By: tmayfield on 10/05/06 at 7:44 am

SPAFF GAVE AWAY HIS SECRET TO AWESOMENESS! NOW WE CAN ALL BE AS AWESOME AS SPAFF! MUA HA HA HA! MY PLAN WORKED EVEN THOUGH I DIDN'T HAVE A PLAN AT ALL WHO CARES I KNOW YOUR SECRET SPAFF!

Except Spaff didn't mention his final secret:

--BE A FREAKING GENIUS!!    ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...