inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: facinating fact

Written By: tomario on 10/07/06 at 7:29 pm

did you know that the best selling single in the uk is a parody ?  :o

"goodbye englands rose" a parody of "candle in the wind"by elton john is the best selling single of all time in the uk amazing innit!  :D :D

just thought i'd share that with you all i'm off back to my "cosy" room.

Subject: Re: facinating fact

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/09/06 at 11:25 am

Here's another one: "America The Beautiful" and "The Star Spangled Banner", two of the most recorded or performed songs in American history, are actually parodies of British tunes.

Written By: karen on 10/09/06 at 11:26 am

did you know that the best selling single in the uk is a parody ?   :o

"goodbye englands rose" a parody of "candle in the wind"by elton john is the best selling single of all time in the uk amazing innit!  :D :D

just thought i'd share that with you all i'm off back to my "cosy" room.

Not sure it's strictly a parody is it?  It was rewritten by the person that wrote the original and performed by him as well.

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/09/06 at 12:25 pm

Why not call it a parody? Although I can't think of any other artist who has (humorously or non-humorously--and intentionally ;)) parodied himself.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 10/09/06 at 12:46 pm

parody  /p

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/09/06 at 2:46 pm

Interestingly, the Amer. Heritage Dictionary also adds:

The practice of reworking an already established composition, especially the incorporation into the Mass of material borrowed from other works, such as motets or madrigals.

I guess Johnny D's "Heinous Joy Your Man's Desiring" is a parody in all of these senses?  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...