inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How painful is it to wait for your parody to appear on the site?

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/25/06 at 10:05 am

I just wrote another quiz for amIwrong, and on that site I know follow a similar approach to updating the site that I do with amIright, which is I only approve new parodies once a day.  This is of course so I can give everyone at least one day on the front page of the site for their parodies (same for the quizzes).  I of course approved everyone else's quizzes (and parodies) before I did one this morning, and I can say practicing self-control and not updating the site again to see mine appear on the front page as well is just awful.

Subject: Re: How painful is it to wait for your parody to appear on the site?

Written By: tmayfield on 10/26/06 at 8:44 am

I just wrote another quiz for amIwrong, and on that site I know follow a similar approach to updating the site that I do with amIright, which is I only approve new parodies once a day.  This is of course so I can give everyone at least one day on the front page of the site for their parodies (same for the quizzes).  I of course approved everyone else's quizzes (and parodies) before I did one this morning, and I can say practicing self-control and not updating the site again to see mine appear on the front page as well is just awful.

I have gotten used to the delay and only when a day is skipped does it cause anxiety anymore. I think if an update were to happen more often, the front page may need to be for more than a single day to accommodate the above mentioned concern.

Written By: Matthias on 10/26/06 at 9:48 am

I like it being refreshed daily. Wake up in the morning, brand new fun! It's a good life! More than that it wouldn't be as fun

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/26/06 at 12:48 pm

Lack of a next day appearance leads to paranoia on my part..."did I do something wrong? was the parody objectionable? is my conputer broke? is Chucky alive..." etc.  :D

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/26/06 at 1:42 pm

Lack of a next day appearance leads to paranoia on my part..."did I do something wrong? was the parody objectionable? is my conputer broke? is Chucky alive..." etc.  :D

I know what you're talking about.  I don't know what a good solution to that would be.  Considering some of the rejected stuff has objectionable titles, I don't know if I could list out titles on the site of stuff that was rejected. I also don't know if I'd want to list out author names that had rejected links.  If anything, it might encourage people to try and top a "rejected" listing as well.

I suppose with the password in place now, I could put something in place that would allow an author to "log in" and see a list of rejected parodies.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 10/26/06 at 10:31 pm

I know what you're talking about.  I don't know what a good solution to that would be.  Considering some of the rejected stuff has objectionable titles, I don't know if I could list out titles on the site of stuff that was rejected. I also don't know if I'd want to list out author names that had rejected links.  If anything, it might encourage people to try and top a "rejected" listing as well.

I suppose with the password in place now, I could put something in place that would allow an author to "log in" and see a list of rejected parodies.

or just a one-click form-email to each rejected author saying "sorry - rejected - but I'm sure you're really nice"

or something...

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/27/06 at 8:09 am

Good grief Chuck !  Just how much is getting rejected ?  :o :o :o  Is this a major concern for you ?  Now you have got my interest  ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/27/06 at 6:26 pm

Good grief Chuck !  Just how much is getting rejected ?  :o :o :o  Is this a major concern for you ?  Now you have got my interest  ;D

there's one individual right now that keeps submitting the same Barenaked Ladies parodies over and over again that seems unable to grasp the fundamentals of properly formatting his parodies.  Since he doesn't enable comments, the few that he did right I can't tell him about.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/27/06 at 6:27 pm

or just a one-click form-email to each rejected author saying "sorry - rejected - but I'm sure you're really nice"

only problem is that there's no email running on amiright anymore.  I had one account setup on the server and the amount of spam hitting the site caused a lot of load on the server so I had to disable it. 

Written By: Cat on 10/28/06 at 7:03 pm

Only when I've put a really big amount of work into it, then I start to twitch, not to much in waiting for it to appear as waiting for comments.

It's especially painful when a day is unexpectedly skipped.

Written By: Jason on 11/03/06 at 5:51 pm

Dear ChuckyG,

Just a thought to ease the agonising wait for one's parody to appear on your site. Why don't you let parodies instantly appear on the site after hitting "Submit", then what you could have is a yes/no option for others to decide if the parody stays on your site or not. Then if there is a certain amount of "No" votes then the parody is automatically removed, otherwise it remains on the site.

Written By: Red Ant on 11/03/06 at 7:03 pm

Dear ChuckyG,

Just a thought to ease the agonising wait for one's parody to appear on your site. Why don't you let parodies instantly appear on the site after hitting "Submit", then what you could have is a yes/no option for others to decide if the parody stays on your site or not. Then if there is a certain amount of "No" votes then the parody is automatically removed, otherwise it remains on the site.

While I'm not ChuckyG, IMO there is no way this will ever happen. Parodies need to be reviewed to weed out spam, obvious whatfreaks-type stuff, plagiaries, etc. While a yes/no vote wouldn't be abused by anyone I know of, I can see the potential for abuse, especially given how easy it is to manipulate votes.

It's ChuckyG's website, and ChuckyG should be the only one who decides what is and isn't posted/stays, not any of us.

Parody comments are posted immediately. If you only knew the headaches that can cause with unwanted spam, you'd understand my view completely.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/03/06 at 7:57 pm

Dear ChuckyG,

as Red Ant points out, spam is a huge problem, not to mention the off color stuff that people would probably begin to send in.  I was real close to doing it this way about three years ago, but rezlied the abuse potential was way too large.

Written By: Step-chan on 11/16/06 at 2:41 pm

Sometimes I get anxious and can't wait, but usually it's not so bad for me.

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/25/07 at 10:28 am

Why is it that when I submit something early in the morning like, say 8am, the day's New Parody list gets updated before I click ENTER...but when I submit something the day before, the next day's New Parody list takes forever (defined as "2 to 3 hours after 8am" ;) ) to be updated!!?

Grr!! >:( ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/25/07 at 10:54 am

Why is it that when I submit something early in the morning like, say 8am, the day's New Parody list gets updated before I click ENTER...but when I submit something the day before, the next day's New Parody list takes forever (defined as "2 to 3 hours after 8am" ;) ) to be updated!!?

Grr!! >:( ;D

luck of the draw I guess.

Tuesday I almost forgot to do the parody update, guess I was distracted or something.  Today it was late because I've been feeling like crap for the past two days, and was in bed until 11 AM.  The only reason yesterday's made it so early, was I had to get up early to put Neal in the crib downstairs to watch his PBS shows, so I did it then before crawling back into bed.  I'd have done the same today, but with the massive headache I had, I could barely even change Neal and carry him, looking at a bright monitor too... ugh.  Even now, I'm having a hard time typing or focusing.

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/25/07 at 11:05 am

Take the day off, Chucky!  :\'(

You're only human.  8)

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/25/07 at 11:31 am

Take the day off, Chucky!  :\'(

You're only human.  8)

I'd rather just keep plugging away at stuff though.  I'm starting to feel better now.  Maybe later I can spend some time fixing the last few bugs on amIright from the server move.

Check for new replies or respond here...