inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Agrimorfee's Holiday Challenge

Written By: agrimorfee on 11/02/06 at 7:39 am

In Dec. 2005, inspired by Spaff.com's parody of "Another Brick In the Wall", I proposed a multi-author compilation of Christmas-inspired parodies all set to Pink Floyd's seminal rock "opera" The Wall. Deck The Wall was completed by "The Crazy Diamonds"--yours truly, Matthias, Red Ant, and Spaff--to a great success.

I have thought upon what should be done next as a Christmas song cycle, and have decided that we should now try QUADROPHENIA by THE WHO!

This will be quite a challenge to all but the best parody authors on Amiright, but I invite anyone to join in. We have quite a few new artists over the past year who very likely would contribute a great tune or two!

As has been done with other albums, I will provide the song list below. Anyone who would like to parody a particular track will leave notice on this thread, and I will add their name to their song, editing as necessary.

If a storyline comes together as the project grows, great, but it is not totally necessary. However, there are opportunities for linkage, as the theme of "Love Reign O'er Me" crops up ealrier in the album. I have an initial idea for the parody of "Love Rein O'er Me" to be a paean to holiday decorating called "Come, Love Our Tree".  :D However, if someone has another idea, be my guest...I will not claim this song yet.

http://www.quadrophenia.net provides all the lyrics to all of the songs, as well as a nice amount of background info on the concepts that the album tries to explain in the song cycle.

Let's see if we can make a Merry Christmas merrier with this! Good luck!

(red indicates the author has chosen the tune, green indicates that they have completed and submitted it)
Song List
I am the Sea (note that this song is a mini-overture of sound effects and lines taken from songs that appear throughout the album. Perhaps this song should be done last--utlizing the respective parody authors' lines--and paired with The Real Me in the final submission. But if someone feels they have a good way to do it differently, go with it!)
The Real Me
Cut My Hair
The Punk Meets the Godfather MATTHIAS
I'm One
The Dirty Jobs
Helpless Dancer
Is It in my Head
I've Had Enough
5:15
Sea and Sand
Drowned
Bell Boy
Dr. Jimmy
Love Reign O'er Me

Subject: Re: Agrimorfee's Holiday Challenge

Written By: Matthias on 11/02/06 at 9:11 am

Not very many songs there Agrimorfee we can get this done way before Christmas, how about making it Thanksgiving themed?

Written By: karen on 11/02/06 at 9:22 am

Love Reign O'er Me

I always thought this was called Love Rain On Me  :-[

I've watched the film loads of times as well!!

Written By: Matthias on 11/02/06 at 9:29 am

I hate to bother you about this Agrimorfee, but Pink Floyd has become a bit of tradition.... And I'm sure we haven't Chrismasized all of his albums yet, what ever you chose to do mate I'm right behind ya.
I'll go with The Punk Meets The Godfather, is there any WAV, or MP3 files for these?

Written By: agrimorfee on 11/02/06 at 10:05 am

Not very many songs there Agrimorfee we can get this done way before Christmas, how about making it Thanksgiving themed?...
I hate to bother you about this Agrimorfee, but Pink Floyd has become a bit of tradition.... And I'm sure we haven't Chrismasized all of his albums yet, what ever you chose to do mate I'm right behind ya.
I'll go with The Punk Meets The Godfather, is there any WAV, or MP3 files for these?

Well there aren't that many Pink Floyd albums left that I could see be doable as a group project --Momentary Lapse of Reason,or Division Bell, maybe. Spaff already took care of Dark Side of the Moon. The rest of Floyd's albums have so many instrumentals or brevity of lyrics that it makes parody writing just seem kind of superfluous-(but as I have often said, no song is parody-proof).

I was thinking of Quadrophenia because it's the only canonical rock "opera" that has not been attempted in its entirety by anyone here, let alone as a Christmas-themed work. I also decided to start this now so we don't have the rush that we did last year to get it all in by 12/25 (the holidays are so busy)

I regret that I don't have any WAVs or mp3 sources at this time. Kind persons could perhaps link anything they find here as an aid to all participants, if this really gets going. (Youtube should have a lot of bootleg footage available!). I'll put you down then for "Punk Meets The Godfather". Good luck.

Written By: Matthias on 11/02/06 at 10:26 am

There's a large pile of The Who songs on this website, sorry for some reason they are not downloadable, but you can still listen to them
http://www.powerhousewebhosting.ca/Music.htm

Written By: agrimorfee on 11/02/06 at 10:33 am

BTW, if anyone wants to do something about Hannukkah (however it's spelled), Kwanzaa, or hell, even Festivus ( ;) :D), be my guest.

Written By: Matthias on 11/02/06 at 10:42 am

BTW, if anyone wants to do something about Hannukkah (however it's spelled), Kwanzaa, or hell, even Festivus ( ;) :D), be my guest.

Heh, heh, Heh... Seinfeld

Check for new replies or respond here...