inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Spaff/Robert Lund awarded Track Of The Day at Garageband.com

Written By: Dee Range on 11/06/06 at 9:28 pm

Spaff and Robert Lund were awarded track of the day at Garageband.com for "We Drank A Toast To Underpants". He mentioned this yesterday in his posting under my other thread, but if you haven't read it, here are some of the reviews so far from Garageband members:

That's cheered me right up!
One word. Superb!

Okay I'll get to the parts you're interested in first....

Vocals: A chorus of Angels at Christmas would scarcely have a sweeter voice than yours in this song! I mean it, superb vocals. Such a nice tonality to it, really counterpoints the lyrics by giving them a false niceness! The harmonies are spot on and also very advanced, you obviously have a good grasp of musical composition.

Outro: Totally out of left field and a joy to listen to. I love the way the boyband-esque harmony leads into it. It's witty, it's funny, I love it.

Lyrics: Weird Al has a match I think. I'm a huge fan of comedy lyrics and yours are some of the best I've heard in a long time.

Now to what I really liked. I've had a bad day at work. One listen to your song and I've a smile ear to ear. Thank you for sharing this wonderful and funny song.
Extra Credit: Male Vocals, Lyrics, Melody, Originality, Most Rocking Track.

- jonathankelly 
Waterford, Ireland 
November 6th, 2
Funnier Than Weird Al!!!
This is the funniest song EVER put up on Garage band, bar none. Really. Case closed.

If you like Weird Al, you will LOVE this. If you don't like Weird Al, you will LOVE this

Every single line here is spectacularly funny. Way too many good lines to mention....the one about Marty Feldman's eyes will make you spit beer out of your nose if you're drinking. As will all the rest of the lines....even if you are not drinking.

Vocals are superb. The backgroud vocals compliment the singer nicely. Top notch, and professional, as is the music.

The outro is like the whipped cream on top of the sundae. The belch is perfect.

The lyrics rival anything Weird Al has done, and surpasses almost all of Al's work that I've heard. I would be very surprised if this does not become the #1 all time comedy song here at Garageband. Truly inspired genius at work. Even Dan Fogleburg will die laughing when he hears your parody of his song.

The only other thing I have to add is.....

MORE!!!!!!
Extra Credit: Male Vocals, Keyboards, Production, Lyrics, Mood, Originality, Best Feel Good Track.
.............................................................................................................................
-Parody Rocks
Story of my life beautifly done in parody. There are a lot of funny lines in this perfectly metered and timed with the music. Although this might be offensive to some Piss on them I think it's great.
The music is so perfect it could be a soundtrack but his voice is so good that I think he's probally playing it. Even the delicate fill licks were there.
The mix was low but evenly balanced between voice and piano. and the punch lines (many) were well articulated so you didn't have to figure them out. A very full sound for piano and voice.
This is graphic, funny, and well done just write us some music next time. Rock On!

- Hillbillydemoc 
Hamilton, Alabama 
November 5th, 2006
....................................................................................................

There are many more reviews like this here:  http://www.garageband.com/song?|pe1|S8LTM0LdsaSlZlmxY2E

If you haven't heard this one, do yourself a treat and have a listen. Parody doesn't get any better than this, unless you of course are Spaff.  ;)

Subject: Re: Spaff/Robert Lund awarded Track Of The Day at Garageband.com

Written By: weirdojace on 11/08/06 at 6:47 pm

Awesome! Congrats, Spaff and Robert!

That's always been one of my favorite Spaff songs. Glad it's getting so many good reviews.

Written By: Spaff.com on 11/08/06 at 9:22 pm

Thanks for the plug, Dee, and for the congrats, Jace.

What Dee fails to mention here is that not all the reviews are so enthusiastic. Here are pieces of three others:
"The song failed to deliver laughs"
"Make the lyrics funnier"
"Maybe suggest a new song writer"

So the crowd at Garageband.com is perhaps a wee bit tougher than the one at Amiright. Heh heh. Still, the reviews have been mostly positive and the experience has been fun thus far. I may submit other songs. Thanks, Dee, for recommending it, and I hope that your "TV Evangelical Hall of Shame" and "16 Sons" continue to tear up the charts.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Red Ant on 11/08/06 at 10:01 pm

I had listened to this before when it was recorded many months ago, but for some reason or another the d/l got cut off an I only had half the song. Having heard the whole thing now I can say "WOW!" I was grinning the whole way through, but when the line "While singing in our underpants/Another old lame song" played, I was LMAO. Fortunately, I stopped laughing in time to save some of my rear end. Thanks for helping me lose some weight and for a funny recording. Congratulations on #1.

Written By: Spaff.com on 11/08/06 at 10:19 pm

Thanks for the lovely comment, Red. I should clarify, though, that getting Track of the Day at Garageband.com is not the same as hitting #1 on their chart. So far, "Underpants" hasn't gone higher than #12. I'm hoping it's not through with its chart run, though, since it's only been up for a few days. I'm confused as to how their charts and contests work, but I suppose if something good happens, I'll find out.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Jack Wilson on 11/09/06 at 6:32 am

Congrats Spaff!  Thats a great rcorind I love it

Written By: Dee Range on 11/09/06 at 10:47 am

Thanks for the lovely comment, Red. I should clarify, though, that getting Track of the Day at Garageband.com is not the same as hitting #1 on their chart. So far, "Underpants" hasn't gone higher than #12. I'm hoping it's not through with its chart run, though, since it's only been up for a few days. I'm confused as to how their charts and contests work, but I suppose if something good happens, I'll find out.

xoxox
Spaff

Spaff, don't feel bad about the confusion....I've been at GB for nearly two years and don't understand the contest completely. What I have learned so far isn't much:

1.Songs uploaded into the contest get 20 reviews initially by other bands on the site, good songs get more as they rise up the charts

2. The top 20% of songs advance from Round 1 to Round 2. Then the top 20% of songs in round 2 then advance to Round 3 and so on, through Round 5

3. I believe that contest winners get played on Yahoo! Launch Radio, and other Clear Cast Radio stations in GB's network of contacts

4. Get prepared: "We Drank A Toast To Underpants" is clearly the best song in the contest, and WILL win this contest, if there is any justice in this world. It takes several weeks to get to the top through GB's voting system, but        you will be at the top before you know it :D
Remember, when you and Robert Lund are touring with Weird Al, that I called dibs for the job of assistant to the assistant traveling secretary in charge of groupies. I promise to be very thorough during the interview process, particularly in the search/frisking area to insure that the groupies are not hiding concealed weapons anywhere on their bodies. :D ;D :P 8)

Written By: weirdojace on 11/09/06 at 10:18 pm

So the crowd at Garageband.com is perhaps a wee bit tougher than the one at Amiright.

Oh you're certainly right about that. Have you seen Bob Ricci's reviews? Talk about harsh. They hated him.

Written By: Dee Range on 11/10/06 at 7:17 am

Oh you're certainly right about that. Have you seen Bob Ricci's reviews? Talk about harsh. They hated him.

Looks like Ricci uploaded his songs into the Modern Rock genre, instead of comedy. Two of the reviews I read didn't even know it was a parody song (Mrs. Claus Has Got It Going On).

He would have done better had he uploaded into comedy, that's for sure.

But he still is not nearly as funny as the Spaffster....not even close, IMO. :D

Written By: weirdojace on 11/10/06 at 7:35 pm

That's true, I never really noticed he uploaded his stuff into the wrong genre.

As for being less funny than Spaff, heh... I prefer not to compare comedy/parody artists. I love them all!

Check for new replies or respond here...